PDA

View Full Version : New PSPs

Jaspaller
Sep 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
To anyone that hasn't heard, Sony announced that they would be redesigning the PSP a while back. Lots of things changed, it's slimmer, and it's lighter and it's got the function to play it on your TV with a special cable from Sony. Went out and bought one of these

Came in a pack that included Daxter, and the Family Guy Freakin sweet collection.

The TV function sucks! You can't play games on your TV unless it's in progressive scan, and when you DO play it's got a huge black border. Big disappointment since this was one of the features I was looking forward to.

Everything else about it is awesome compared to the old PSP (except for maybe homebrew). Slimmer, Lighter, Longer lasting battery, glossy coat.

DISCUSS!

Darkly
Sep 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
See, i dont have a psp, but my little brother has, and the main reason i use it is because of homebrew e.g rom's etc.

but i like that its got the 'lite' treatment, i just wish more games were made for it, because i had a ds lite but eventually got rid of it because i felt the games, aside from nintendos were just plain average, and nintendo games come too far and few between for me to get much use out of it.

a little fantasy i always had was having pso on psp, because the psp actually has the power to run it, unlike the ds.

SubstanceD
Sep 19, 2007, 02:01 PM
I own a PSP already. I bought mine at launch.

There are alot of new features on the new PSP's that I would love to have ( a beter D-Pad is a must since most games are unplayable on the old PSP as well as shorter loading times ). Sadly, I don't care enough to trade in my old PSP. I'd just be throwing my money away. So I'll stick with my old PSP for now.

On a side note, it's no longer worth it to by a console at launch anymore since all the developers these days seem to bring out a new and improved version a year or 2 later. Nintendo did it with the DS lite. Microsoft did it with there new and improved ( knock on wood ) 360's with HDMI wich don't suffer from the Red Rings of Doom and with the Elite. Sony did it with there new 80 Gig PS3 and now the PSP lite. I'm not putting up with this shit anymore. I will never buy a console at launch again.

ABDUR101
Sep 19, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm with you Substance, that shit is absurd. They should offer those who went out and bought the initial systems at launch, the ability to send in their system as a refurb, and get a deduction on the cost of a newer released 'version' of the console.

How many Genesis and SNES's did you buy? ONE! And they fucking lasted, none of this broken shit after six or eight months, right when your warranty runs out. My Atari, NES, Genesis and SNES all still work, original systems, the first I ever bought of each. I went through two Xbox's and had to send my 360 back once. Absurd, expecially since I'm going to end up buying one of the new ones with HDMI. =|

Darkly
Sep 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
That's a very nice idea ABDUR101, i wouldn't mind paying a small fee to upgrade to the newer console/handheld etc.

console generations are moving too fast, the pressure to make new consoles i think is generally the source of all the faulty machines etc.

Won't be long before we're all sending in our xbox 720's in for repairs too.

Blitzkommando
Sep 19, 2007, 04:22 PM
Consoles are moving closer to being full fledged computers. Computers are out of date the day before you purchase the brand new parts. Not giving an excuse, just a reason. Plus we're in a time where people absolutely must have the latest and greatest and are (generally) willing to cough up the cost to do so. Again, if it will sell, they will make it to sell it. The conundrum of course is that as more people refuse to buy launch systems, that makes less money for the company to produce revisions resulting in even shorter console lives. It's a vicious cycle that has started and if it continues it could result in another 'crash' should enough people do the waiting game.

As for the PSP, it sounds interesting but the TV out sounds a bit lame (black bars and progressive only? Anyone have a picture of what it looks like when on a standard television and then HDTV? I'd like to see it myself). And glossy case is a big disadvantage in my opinion. Those get scratched way too easily which is why I'm rather fond of Nintendo's constant use of matte finishes and am glad to see Apple go with matte on their new iPods. Sure shiny looks better but it's just too much to keep clean and nice looking which spells trouble for people with OCD about keeping things looking new like myself.

EDIT: By standard I mean 4:3 EDTV versus a 16:9 HDTV. Ergo, 480P.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2007-09-19 14:24 ]</font>

PJ
Sep 19, 2007, 04:24 PM
If I recall, when the GBASP came out, you could trade in your regular GBA for pricecut on the SP...

But it never happened with DS, blargh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

TetsuyaHikari
Sep 19, 2007, 04:50 PM
Hmmm..I wasn't aware that's how the TV output function works. Well, screw that then >.>

Instead of replacing my old PSP with the slim one, looks like I'll just buy a PS3 instead http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the heads up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

AlexCraig
Sep 19, 2007, 04:52 PM
On 2007-09-19 12:18, ABDUR101 wrote:
How many Genesis and SNES's did you buy?

2 SNES. But there was good reason behind it. >_>;

Sinue_v2
Sep 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
and it's got the function to play it on your TV with a special cable from Sony

I was wondering when the PSP was finally going to catch up to the Sega Nomad in this regard. Shame to hear that it sucks though... the Nomad's TV-Out was pretty sweet. Plus it had a controller port in the bottom of the handheld so you could play 2-Player games.

Jaspaller
Sep 19, 2007, 05:24 PM
On 2007-09-19 14:50, Kikumaru wrote:
Hmmm..I wasn't aware that's how the TV output function works. Well, screw that then >.>

Instead of replacing my old PSP with the slim one, looks like I'll just buy a PS3 instead http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the heads up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Glad I could be of help ^_^

It seems to be stretched to fit when you're in the main menu using any other function but as soon as you start a game the screen is reduced to half of what it was. I hope a firmware update will fix this because this thing is of no use on a TV so far...

Kent
Sep 19, 2007, 06:11 PM
On 2007-09-19 14:24, PJ wrote:
But it never happened with DS, blargh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

It happened here, at GameStop - I traded in my original-style DS and got a hefty chunk of cash toward a DS Lite.

Eihwaz
Sep 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
On 2007-09-19 16:11, Kent wrote:
It happened here, at GameStop - I traded in my original-style DS and got a hefty chunk of cash toward a DS Lite.

Yeah, I did the same. I got a new DS Lite for about $70 bucks. Of course, I think I had also traded in some old games to help further lower the cost. My friend had so many old games that with his DS, he was able to get a DS for $0 out of his wallet, and actually get some cash back.

This is one of the reasons why I never buy new technology right when it comes out. I like to wait for price drops, or an improved version. For instance, I badly want an iPod touch, but I will wait, as the first batch of any given technology usually has more bugs.

McLaughlin
Sep 20, 2007, 09:21 AM
I must be the only one left with a launch Xbox 360 that still works.

My local EB Games always has Trade In specials going on when new revisions come out. I never take advantage of them because I like keeping all my stuff, but they do happen.

amtalx
Sep 20, 2007, 10:08 AM
Being an early adopter has always had its risks. It's not exclusive to the gamining industry. Its actually far worse in other business areas because the development cycles for new products are much shorter, computers being chief among them.

When was the last time you bought a TV that didn't lack some kind of support after five years?

Sexy_Raine
Sep 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
The new PSP doesn't really interest me. I'll stick with my current one until it breaks, before I decide to buy the new one.

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
While I'd like to play Monster Hunter on the big screen once more, I aint buying a new PSP just for that.

Kent
Sep 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
On 2007-09-20 07:21, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
I must be the only one left with a launch Xbox 360 that still works.

Mine still works perfectly. :/

Rubius-sama
Sep 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
My old PSP is still rotting on my desk. I used to use it as an MP3 player but now I use my phone for that. Such a disappointment. I remember being so excited about the PSP and getting one on launch day.

PSP FTL. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif