PDA

View Full Version : My cat won't eat

Kion
Sep 21, 2007, 02:41 AM
I think my cat's about twelve years old now. It was already a "cat", when we got it so I don't know exactly how old it is. Anyways, we fed it dry food like the owner before us had. The cat didn't warm up to us so we feed it tuna fish from the can when ever making tuna salad and the cat liked it, warmed up to us but it stopped eating dry food so we had to feed it tuna fish from then on.

Recently I was making samon, i cut off the skin and took out the bones leaving a small amount of meat left over so i threw it on the ground for the cat that was winding it's way around my legs meowing like crazy as it smelled fish. Well the cat didn't eat it on the ground, it meowed like crazy and looked up at me. So i took the [i]same[i] piece of samon that was on the ground and put in her dish (which was probably dirtier than the floor) and only then did the damn cat eat it.

Well, the cat then got hooked on samon, and stopped eating tuna with a vengence. It ate the tuna and then threw it up every where to point where we found some cheap canned samon and the cat's digestive problem was magically cured.

having should have learned my leason, but enire not; i gave the cat a scrap white tuna, which for you sushi lovers is the second most expensive thing you can order at a japanese resturant, and the cat stopped eating the samon that it loved so much just one month before.

So now the cat doesn't eat anything except sashimi. And I think i'm just going to let the damn thing starve to death. I am not paying $20 a week when it's not even grateful for the food. I mean I, i don't even eat that well. It doesn't even give a thank you "meow". In fact it leaves a "fuck you" poop in the middle of the carpet and looks at me like "clean it up, bitch". And if the cat isn't eating samon, tuna or dry food, so i really don't want to even buy that because it just means cleaning up puke.

So suggestions; what should i do with my cat? Let it die? Get rid of it? And who would actually spend the money to feed the cat fresh sashimi every day?

Eihwaz
Sep 21, 2007, 03:40 AM
Why don't you try taking it to the vet instead of letting it die from starvation? Or, if it's too hard to take care of, take it to the humane shelter?

Nai_Calus
Sep 21, 2007, 03:41 AM
When the fucker gets hungry enough, he'll eat motherfucking ANYTHING.

Darkly
Sep 21, 2007, 07:02 AM
Ian-Kunx is right. cats are annoying, my cat is annoying, we fed it some fish once, and it refused to eat tinned food - for a while lol.

it won't refuse to eat until it dies, so put whatever food you like out, i'm sure eventually it will eat it.

why are cats so damn stuck up anyway?!

InfinityXXX
Sep 21, 2007, 09:37 AM
lol, i'm sorry but i find this so funny cuz i have a similar situation but its with my dog.

My dog (pomeranian/chiuauah) only eats human food and refuses to eat dog food. But not only does my dog eat human food, shes very picky about what food she eats. She doesn't eat anything canned or frozen. Very spoiled but when she hasen't ate for a while, she will get off her high horse and eat anything (but dog food)

Just leave some tuna out there and the cat will eat it. She/He is acting a bit siddity but once "hunger" strikes, it's pride will go out the window. Remind your cat that it's ass can be right outside with dem stray cats lol j/k.

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 21, 2007, 10:29 AM
I think I'm going to have to agree with the prevailing advice, here. You may end up cleaning up a few messes, but perhaps now you've learned not to treat your cat with expensive fish? Just put out the tuna or the dry food, and he'll come back to it, sooner or later. As has been said, he'll eat what he has, when he gets hungry enough.

You've gotta make it clear to your cat, just who is in charge. If it's the cat that's in charge, then you've made an error.

Zorafim
Sep 21, 2007, 10:38 AM
Taking it to a vet is probably a wise idea, to see if anything is wrong with it. If nothing is, get the generic dry food you can, stick it in a bowl, and don't feed the thing until the bowl is empty.

Solstis
Sep 21, 2007, 12:16 PM
Feeding your cat tuna (exclusively) is actually bad for the cat. Just give the thing dry food/take it to the vet.

SabZero
Sep 21, 2007, 12:18 PM
Your pet should be worth enough to not just feed it generic food. That stuff has such low nutritional value (it's mostly carbs)... Get some Royal Canin or Purina.

And you taught him to be like that - wait and meow = better food. Just monitor him, to make sure he doesn't go without any food for more than a day. He is a senior, after all.

Edit: he might be having trouble with his teeth and refuse hard food because of that. Did he have his check-over this year already? Maybe it's time now.

Edit2: Very few cats will eat something and throw it up because they don't like it - something else must have been the matter.
Same with any change in litter habits. Sometimes when they have trouble "going", they'll associate it with the litter box.

For all your pet questions: http://www.catchow.com/askamentor_1.aspx

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SabZero on 2007-09-21 10:22 ]</font>

Kion
Sep 21, 2007, 01:55 PM
i'm really not an animal person, it's my sister. she pretty much adopted every animal that popped up on the door step, and then she went to college and left us a dog and a cat. she got an apartment and i was ready to ship the animals off to her and then she bought two large dogs and said, "wish i could, but i already have animals". Everytime i have to clean up fresh puke in the morning, i mutter, "gee, thanks sis...".

the advice was definately appretiated. i think leaving normal food out and forcing it off its high horse sounds like a plan. we took it to the vet not too long ago and there was nothing wrong with it; it's just stuck up. (Tho i'm suprised it hasn't gotten mercury poisoning from eating tuna for two years)

and any scraps from cooking are going to the dog. i've given it some pretty nice stuff and every day it still sits next to it's bowl waiting for dry food and looks up with puppy dogs eyes as if to say "thank you". <3 dogs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-09-21 12:51 ]</font>

Orange_Coconut
Sep 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
If you're only annoyed by the cat and you're fed up with it, then maybe you should try putting it up for adoption. I mean, if it was your sister who initially wanted it, then couldn't take it after she moved out and got animals of her own, then why are you keeping the cat?

If you liked the animals, that'd be another story. Or maybe if someone else in your family loves having a pet around then it'd make sense as well. However, if it's nothing but a hassle to you then just give it to some sort of shelter or adoption organization so that someone who would love to take care of animals has a chance to.

ABDUR101
Sep 21, 2007, 10:05 PM
Don't keep a pet if you see it as a bother, you'll only mistreat it and not take proper care of it, often times out of spite because you think it's doing things to you as if to be mean.(i.e. being 'picky' and puking on purpose)

However, do make sure you give it a decent dry cat food; afew extra dollars goes a long way in making sure your pet is eating a proper diet and not a bag full of worthless shit. It's equivalent to you trying to survive on Cocoa Pebbles, overtime it's going to have an adverse effect on your body. Remember, even eating rocks will take away your hunger, but they offer no nutritional value.

SubstanceD
Sep 22, 2007, 03:03 PM
If it were me the I would take the cat to a vet. It might cost you a bit of money but at the end of the day it wouldn't hurt.

I also own a 12 year old cat, well to be honest, it's my Mom's cat. My Mom recently decided to move back overseas to the Caribbean and it has recently become my responsibility to look after the cat. Normally it's not a problem except the cat has a bit of a weight problem ( obese ) and she is suffering frm a number of medical problems ( you know, old age and stuff ). It also doesn't help that I work long hours ( and am seldom at home ) and that the cat is pining away for my Mom. There are days when she literally doesn't move at all.

Take you cat to the vet just to be sure. It could be a medical problem, a psychological problem ( you said the cat had a previous owner so there is no telling how much bagage it has ) or it might be nothing.

SStrikerR
Sep 22, 2007, 10:29 PM
that stinks dude, but i laughed hard at the, "fuck you" crap, and the, "clean it up bitch"