PDA

View Full Version : PSU-XBox 360: Grinding, something worth mentioning.

Bitey
Sep 23, 2007, 11:17 AM
Last night during the Beast 3 star luck I noticed something for the third time about grinding. This has happened for too often for me to be considered a lucky coincidence anymore so I thought I would let some of you in on this to see what you think.

I think that there has to be some sort of hidden factor affecting grinding success relevant to how much you have played a character.

Sounds bogus? Well take this into account...

Last night I attempted to grind 4 Cubo Dunga to +5. Here are my results:

Cubo1: Grinder A+1-Success(Guaranteed)
Cubo1: Grinder A+1-Success(Very High)
Cubo1: Grinder A+1-Success(Very High)
Cubo1: Grinder A+1-Success(High)
Cubo1: Grinder A+6-Success(High)

Cubo2: Grinder A+1-Success(Guaranteed)
Cubo2: Grinder A+1-Success(Very High)
Cubo2: Grinder A+1-Success(Very High)
Cubo2: Grinder A+1-Success(High)
Cubo2: Grinder A+6-Success(High)

Cubo3: Grinder A+1-Success(Guaranteed)
Cubo3: Grinder A+1-Success(Very High)
Cubo3: Grinder A+1-Success(Very High)*
Cubo3: Grinder A+1-Success(High)
Cubo3: Grinder A+6-Failure(High)

Cubo4: Grinder A+1-Success(Guaranteed)
Cubo4: Grinder A+1-Failure(Very High)

Maybe it was also me, but starting at the starred grind the little meter that appears during grinding and fills up seemed to slow down compared to earlier grinds where it it shot up full in almost an instant. Blah...

Anyway, the last time Beasts had 3 star luck I had achieved identical results grinding 1 Cubo Dunga to +5 and grinding another Cubo Dunga that was already +4 to +5.

Now, I am not that experienced with grinding, but I would consider those grinds awfully lucky, especially since I used Grinder A+1 for four straight grinds.

Now, this is not an official test or anything, but anytime previously that I had tried to exploit my extra unused character slot and make some temporary character that had 3 star luck for grinding, my grinds seemed to have about a 75-25 chance of success at Very High and High was almost guaranteed failure, having all but one of my attempts at a High grind fail.

Any of this ring a bell? Does anyone else have a higher success rate on grinds using their main characters as opposed to a temporary alt that they just made for the luck?

str898mustang
Sep 23, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah the speed the bar is going is a giveaway kinda to whether or not it's going to break or not. I was grindng some phantoms and I knew which ones were going to break just by the speed of the bar.

Kion
Sep 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
If you haven't seen this chart, you can click on it to goto the original topic. Exact percents for grinding A ranks for each degree of luck.

http://www.mithra.to/~psu/uploader/src/psu6090.png (http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=152971&forum=22)

the speed might be a way to tell if it's going to break or not. before you grind here's a message that says "connecting to server", so if it's going to break or not is already decided, wathcing it is part ceremony.

And real life luck > game luck. The probablities that the NPC's give are deceptive as they maybe "high", but you have to remember that the odds are not calculated for succeed for each successive grind, but each grind invividually. So making it to +5 may have somewhere around 60% odds of making it with 3* luck, and only 40% with 1* luck, but proabilities are not absolute so it's just a matter of observed trends.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-09-23 14:44 ]</font>

Zorafim
Sep 23, 2007, 11:24 PM
I didn't realise how much of a difference the quality of grinder made to grinding. I need to get me some +10s.

Bitey
Sep 24, 2007, 04:07 PM
Eh... I guess I am just really lucky. According to your chart my chances of having as many successes in a row as I did were lower than winning $500 on a $20 scratch off ticket o.O

PALRAPPYS
Sep 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
Out of nowhere, I have a question.

What would happen if you shut off your console/program when you see the meter break on the bar? Will you keep your weapon? What would happen?

Kion
Sep 24, 2007, 10:21 PM
Yet to be tested. I kind of reminds me of the two synths glitches.

might be worth grabbing a few C rank weapons and finding out. that way you could grind all weapons as high as possible.

you : "oh it's going to break"

*turns off console*

*salvages +6 weapon*

you : "xD"