PDA

View Full Version : PC: Neverwinter Nights Requirements

CodeName62
Dec 30, 2002, 12:45 AM
Hey guys. I need some help. I have been wanting to get Neverwinter Nights for some time now, but I couldn't due to my PC's low standards. However, now I have a new computer, which is about 10 times better than my old one. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could help me determine if my new PC meets the requirements to run Neverwinter Nights, because I don't know anything about my system's graphic performance.

The minimum requirements to run Neverwinter Nights are:
PII 450 MHz
96MB RAM
16MB TNT2-class video card

Here is what I know about my system:
Pentium 4/2.4 Ghz
256MB DDRAM

Once again I don't know anything about the graphics performance on my system. So I would appreciate any help. Thank you

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CodeName62 on 2002-12-29 21:46 ]</font>

CajunSamurai
Dec 30, 2002, 01:34 AM
Your PC should be MORE than fast enough to RUN NWN very well. I have a 1.3 GHz Celeron with 256 MB, and it runs well at the highest settings.
Now, if this is a new PC, then it probably doesn't have a very powerful video card, which is vital for most any PC game.

For newer PC games, I recommend a video card with DirectX 8.1 or higher... Basically, Geforce 3 cards and newer and Radeon 8500 and newer all support DX8. Basically, what that means is... those cards fully support the latest graphical effects, such as pixel shaders.
The latest cutting edge video cards such as Radeon 9700, Radeon 9500 and upcoming Geforce FX fully support DirectX 9, so if you want the high end stuff (and your PC would work great with one of these babies), those are the ones to buy. Of course, you get what you pay for, and these cards are, naturally, the most expensive... The 9700 is between $300-400 depending on where you look (www.pricewatch.com has some GREAT deals), and the GF FX is expected to be $400, I believe... The 9500, on the other hand, is incredibly powerful and usually runs around $200, I believe. I REALLY want one, but I doubt my PC's power source could support anything more powerful. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

However, DX9 isn't gonna be used in games for quite a while... DX8 isn't even being used all that much in current games.
If you're looking for a good card just for NWN, I'd recommend something in the Geforce 4 line (Ti 4200, 4400, 4600... AVOID the GF MX cards as they are DX7 based) or a Radeon 8500 or 9000 (I have a 9000 Pro). Any of those should run NWN just fine on your setup and run between $100-300; definitely check out Pricewatch. I'd get a Radeon 9500 myself, as it rivals a Geforce 4600 and CRUSHES it when anisotropic filtering and antialiasing are applied (in english: with SWEET effects http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif), and is usually cheaper.

Hope that helps, lemme know if I was too technical, I tend to be way. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Basically, I think all you'll need is a nice video card and you should be in NWN heaven. I love the game, myself. Maybe we could hook up sometime online!

CodeName62
Dec 30, 2002, 02:43 AM
On 2002-12-29 22:34, CajunSamurai wrote:
Now, if this is a new PC, then it probably doesn't have a very powerful video card, which is vital for most any PC game.

Thanks alot for all that info! Yes, this is a new PC. I was assuming just as you are. My PC most likely doesn't have a powerful video card. However, now to the sounds of things, I probably won't get Neverwinter Nights anymore. I don't have the money to put towards a new graphics card, aswell as the game. I'll just have to sit this one out. Once again, thanks for your help.

Dabra
Dec 30, 2002, 10:50 AM
It depends. Do you have windows XP? That thing munches 128 RAM right off the bat, so you have 128 left. And the closer it is to the minimum requirements, the further it is from the recommended.

And it's not all about the processor and the RAM. You have to have a good graphics card. I got a GF4 ti 4200 and can't run NWN at maximum details without getting major slowdowns. And my processor is 1.78 athlon xp 2200+, with 512 ddram.

And P4 isn't your best deal as a gaming PC if that is what you are aiming for. A lot of games aren't compatible with that thing and you don't get the quality you paid for. I also got a p4/2.4, but i chose to play on my athlon. I guess it depends on the games an the situation.

But so far, fo NVN, your PC is up to the task. Knowing your graphics card would be goo too.

CodeName62
Dec 30, 2002, 11:49 AM
On 2002-12-30 07:50, Dabra wrote:
so far, fo NVN, your PC is up to the task. Knowing your graphics card would be goo too.

Where can I go on the computer to see the details of it's graphics performance?

CodeName62
Dec 30, 2002, 12:30 PM
I went to system information, and went to display. The window then showed all these satistics:

Item Value
Name Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller
PNP Device ID PCIVEN8086&DEV2562&SUBSYS40001O7B&REVO13&267A616A&0&lO
Adapter Type Intel(R) 82845G/GL Chip, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller
Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
Installed Drivers ialmrnt5
Driver Version 6.13.01.3119

There is more, but this is the part that I have a question on. Would this be my video card? Thanks

Dabra
Dec 30, 2002, 01:09 PM
Wow I made a lot of typos. Anyway, about that info, it's not it.

If you want my method, right-click on your desktop, go to properties, click on the settings Tab, and look under display. It's right over the resolution. It states your graph card.

CodeName62
Dec 30, 2002, 06:26 PM
Thanks for that info. The window says that I have a:
"EV700 on Intel(R)82845G/GL Graphics Controller"

Dangerous55
Dec 30, 2002, 07:26 PM
Where do you find out your systems specs?

CodeName62
Dec 30, 2002, 10:23 PM
On 2002-12-30 16:26, Dangerous55 wrote:
Where do you find out your systems specs?

For windows XP from the Task bar, you go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Sytem Information

Since I was able to find out what my video card was, thanks to Dabra, I decided to use the Intel Support. In general, I asked them if my video card would meet the requirements for Neverwitner Nights. Now all I have to do is wait for a reply. The auto response said they should answer within two working days. Anyways, thanks for all of those who helped me.

CajunSamurai
Dec 31, 2002, 12:30 AM
Since I was able to find out what my video card was, thanks to Dabra, I decided to use the Intel Support. In general, I asked them if my video card would meet the requirements for Neverwitner Nights. Now all I have to do is wait for a reply. The auto response said they should answer within two working days. Anyways, thanks for all of those who helped me.That's just about what I had before I got a video card, and the performance in most games was less than desirable, unfortunately. :/ Textures looked terrible and framerates were very slow, even in older games like Quake 3.
I highly recommend getting a video card as soon as possible. Neverwinter Nights is a graphical BEAST; I have it set on the highest graphical settings with my Radeon 9000 Pro and it never runs much faster than 30 fps, but it's still quite playable.
With the onboard graphics in your PC's motherboard, it MAY run, but probably at a very slow rate, even with the lowest settings.

Hell, I'd recommend downloading the demo first, actually. Well, that is, if you have a fast connection. I believe the demo is about 300MB, OUCH! If bandwidth isn't a problem, check it out, install it and see how it runs. That's always the best option in order to determine whether or not to get a PC game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But most likely, you'll be much better off with a nice new piece of hardware in your machine. My recommendations for NWN:

-Geforce Ti 4200, 4400 or 4600
-Radeon 8500, 9000, 9500 or 9700

Either way, I think you're gonna enjoy NWN. It's certainly a different experience from PSO, but it's a fantastic game.

CodeName62
Dec 31, 2002, 01:16 AM
On 2002-12-30 21:30, CajunSamurai wrote:

Hell, I'd recommend downloading the demo first, actually. Well, that is, if you have a fast connection. I believe the demo is about 300MB, OUCH! If bandwidth isn't a problem, check it out, install it and see how it runs. That's always the best option in order to determine whether or not to get a PC game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. However, I still use a 56k modem to get on the internet. To solve this solution is to go to my freind's house and use his computer to download the demo, since he utalizes a cable modem. Then I'll just copy the demo to a CD, and install it into my computer when I get back home.

I could also wait until school starts up again, and persuade another freind into lending his copy to me for a day, just so that I can see if it will run on my computer.

However, while on the subject of still using narrowband to get on the internet, will this heavily affect the game for me, if I decide to play it online? Thanks

CajunSamurai
Dec 31, 2002, 01:22 AM
It requires a lot more bandwidth than most online RPGs, it seems, but I THINK it'll run pretty well on 56k. I've played in literally only a few online games on NWN myself, which were pretty smooth for the most part, even with several players, but I'm also on broadband. But, most online RPGs such as PSO and Diable 2 work just fine on 56k, it'll probably be fine.

Anyhow, give the demo a shot, for sure. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dangerous55
Dec 31, 2002, 02:25 AM
Thanks Code, hmm, it seems I have 751 mhz. Didnt really understand rest of it, lol, I know it said AMD though.

CodeName62
Jan 3, 2003, 02:27 AM
Well guys, Intel finally responeded back to me. The technician wrote that the game would run at an acceptable frame rate on my computer, but I would need to update the graphics controller drivers.

I updated the graphics controller drivers last night, and bought the game this morning. I got the game installed, and it's running fine. However, there is a problem when I watch the cutscenes, with the exception of the first cutscene. The cutscene will play, then stop, play again, stop again shortly. This cycle happens all the way through the end of the cutscene. I think I will need to update my sound card drivers as well.

The problem is that I don't know what sound card I have, nor do I know how to find out what it is. I looked Audio devices section in the "Contraol Panel," but I don't know which one is the sound card. I would once again appreciate anyone's help. Thank you

By the way, I realy like this game. I am glad that I decided to get it. There is so much customization, and exploring to do! I haven't evan tickered with the toolset yet. Also, I like that map of Neverwinter that came with the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CodeName62 on 2003-01-02 23:38 ]</font>

CajunSamurai
Jan 3, 2003, 02:45 AM
However, there is a problem when I watch the cutscenes, with the exception of the first cutscene. The cutscene will play, then stop, play again, stop again shortly. This cycle happens all the way through the end of the cutscene. I think I will need to update my sound card drivers as well.That happened to me, too! I thought it might be a problem with my hard drive being heavily fragmented but after defragmenting, it still did that. I was using a Radeon 7500 at that time... After I upgraded to a R9000, it stopped. So I'm guessing it's a weird video issue.
Definitely make sure your game has all the latest patches, too... it may fix that problem.
Luckily, you can watch those scenes any time after you "unlock" them, and they're really not that important anyway. Still cool though.

Ohh, and as far as sound card... Here's a way you can find out what kind of sound hardware you have:

Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager. From here, click the + next to "Sound, video and game controllers" and it should list your audio and video codecs, as well as any sound hardware. I'm using my PC's onboard sound, so it's SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio for me. Double click an item here to view its properties.

Hope that helps!

Dabra
Jan 3, 2003, 11:37 AM
Heh. I have a massive gaming PC, but I'm always missing the soundcard. Nowadays in games like battlefield or splinter cell (demo), I get screeching sound when I play, and it hurts my ears.

A sound card would be most delightful. it gets in the way of fun.

CodeName62
Jan 3, 2003, 02:13 PM
On 2003-01-02 23:45, CajunSamurai wrote:

Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager. From here, click the + next to "Sound, video and game controllers" and it should list your audio and video codecs, as well as any sound hardware. I'm using my PC's onboard sound, so it's SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio for me.

Thanks for that info. I turns out that I am using a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio aswell.

CajunSamurai
Jan 3, 2003, 11:08 PM
My integrated audio hardware has worked great for me so far. There have been an instance or two in GTA3 where the sound got totally screwy on me, but otherwise it's been fine for my little 2.1 setup. Eventually I'll upgrade to a 5.1 card with some extra juice in it though; I love 5.1 and I'm into electronic music composition, so a MIDI-in would really help, among other things.