PDA

View Full Version : For those who quit PSU for PSO,,,

Menochi
Sep 26, 2007, 08:55 PM
Not monster hunter 2, which is better thann 1 in every way?

KOS-MOSII
Sep 26, 2007, 08:55 PM
I know some players prefer PSO over PSU for whatever reason....give Monster Hunter for PS2/PSP a try.

EphekZ
Sep 26, 2007, 08:57 PM
er, how is this related to PSU?

EspioKaos
Sep 26, 2007, 08:58 PM
Heh, one of my friends introduced me to the original Monster Hunter to help hold me over while I was waiting for PSU to come out. I really enjoyed it.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 26, 2007, 08:59 PM
Lol at anyone who quits PSU for PSO.

VanHalen
Sep 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
I think this would be better for Off-Topic.

Saigan
Sep 27, 2007, 05:59 AM
Feels like flame baiting to me.

But yeah, MH is awesome >.>

But so is PSO, as is PSU. People will play what they want to.

danny_o
Sep 27, 2007, 06:27 AM
Awww DAG YO! I played the hell out of Monster Hunter, then I got the import of the Monster Hunter Dos(2)...a year ago...and have yet to have my PS2 fiddled with to get it to play JPN-games. Black Yan-KutKu! Blue Ratholos! All those beasties awaiting death at my hand...locked away on the disc...

So sad...so lazy...

omegapirate2k
Sep 27, 2007, 07:18 AM
On 2007-09-26 18:55, Menochi wrote:
Not monster hunter 2, which is better thann 1 in every way?

If these people quit PSU for PSO, then they will probably like monster hunter 1 better.

Jaspaller
Sep 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
Awesome. PSU bores me much. Once I get through with Halo 3 I'll jump on that.

BlaizeYES
Sep 27, 2007, 10:32 AM
i hated psu and was a straight addict to pso for 2 months back when it was released in '01. i had to destroy the GD-Rom to stop playing it. psu is garbage, like warcraft

Sinue_v2
Sep 27, 2007, 11:27 AM
I thought Monster Hunter was one of the more wretched games I had ever played. All of the negatives of a PSO style game (instanced worlds, no exploration, etc) mixed with the negatives of MMO's (poor character customization, farming for items, synthing, etc) and very little, if anything, actually enjoyable. Being on the PS2 meant the graphics were sub-par, washed out, bland, and grainy (even on a PC monitor upscaled to 1080x1024) - which didn't the help much with the fact that I found the art-style horrid and the premise reminded me of Jurrasic Park in the bronze age.

It now collects dust at the bottom of my game stack with such illustrious titles as EverQuest Online Adventures.

Banish
Sep 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
On 2007-09-27 08:32, BlaizeYES wrote:
i hated psu and was a straight addict to pso for 2 months back when it was released in '01. i had to destroy the GD-Rom to stop playing it. psu is garbage, like warcraft

Right on...don't let PSU live!

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 30, 2007, 07:02 PM
Monster Hunter does away with the gameplay-related negatives common in online RPGs and has the single most important thing that any online (or offline) action RPG should have: A fun combat system that relies more on player skill than on stats and luck. The fighting is fun enough that I don't even bother playing this with people.

Also, the near-complete lack of a class system allows for amazing freedom: If you use one weapon type exclusively to the end of the game, you can easily switch to another. You don't HAVE to switch weapon types for each situation, but there will still be different weapons you'll wanna switch around for elemental effects. There's no leveling up grinding bullshit to bog you down, but you're still gonna feel PAIN since you'll most likely suck at using the new weapon type effectively. Each weapon class is significantly different from each other, too. Amazing variety...IF YOU CHOOSE.

The setting is, from my understanding, rather unique. Has anyone ever made an online RPG set in some prehistoric-styled fantasy world where the civilization relies more on primitive yet stylish technology than on magic?

I'll stop here since I have a LOT of good things to say about MH...and nearly every aspect I think of in PSU's gameplay, I can think of how MH has done it better (most notably status effects and healing).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-09-30 17:06 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Sep 30, 2007, 07:38 PM
PSU and MH are fun in their own way.
PSU is a helluva easier to get into and is a fun social game.
MH is a lot more hardcore but is 10x more rewarding. MH is one of the only games I've played that has actually made me afraid to fight certain monsters. I might take on a new quest that just popped up and finally see the monster and say "OH FUCK I DON'T WANNA FIGHT THAT! RUN AWAY!" The tension is great when you're facing up against a Dragon that you've never seen before and then you try to attack it and your weapon just bounces off and you get that sinking feeling, fucking great.
If MH3 is coming to the PS3, and not the 360, consider the PS3 bought as far as I'm concerned.