PDA

View Full Version : Kaffe Kane presents...a guide? o.O

KaffeKane
Sep 27, 2007, 07:03 PM
Here's my take on Fortegunner as a Beast, and I don't care who else thinks otherwise about it. If you have flamebait to post, whatever. This guide might also be usable for Fortegunners in general, just improvise to your strengths and weaknesses.
Information has been extended somewhat due to recent findings and input on this thread. Thanks to pokechief, Xaeris, and especially Shadow_Wing.
Constructive criticisms are appreciated.
This is also the second time that I've ever posted a guide anwhere, so I'm not sure how well I did.

EDIT: There, hopefully that'll be easier to read.

-----------------

Shield Line:
Pick GRM or Tenora ones.

GRM has decent EVP and best MST of the lot.

Tenora has the best EVP, but at the same time, the worst DFP and MST ratings, so you'll want to have something to fix that problem. Get them with good percentages to reduce damage when you do get hit, and MST raising units to further offset TECHNIC damage from enemies.

Seeing as you're a Beast, go with Head, Arm, and Body units, at the very best, two out of those three at the very least. Extra Slot on a line is fine, but they don't serve a lot of purpose to anyone except CASTs.

GRM and Tenora ones are also Gunner/Fortegunner optimal in some cases, like weapon combos. :3

Units:

Head -- Any Mind series one, but the higher the better. You want tech damage to be as low as possible for when you get hit by them, and Gunner MST, especially Fortegunner, is not as great as a Techer type.

Arm -- If you really want to hit a teeny bit more often, use a Hit Unit. If you want a little extra damage, use a Power Unit.
Shadow_Wing recommends a Power Unit, and I'll vouch on that as well, although the thought of a Beast Fortegunner with a Solid / Power - S kinda scares me. >_>

Body -- Until the system changes come over here in US/EU, a goodly percented shield line with Mega / Rainbow is alright, but when the changes come, you'll want a Legs unit. Guard Units aren't worth a Gunner's time, since they're not supposed to be taking meele hits, anyway.
Blocking is the Gunner's friend, and with Just Counter allowing bullets to be used, it just makes it a bit nicer.

Weapons: I cannot make my own recommendations here other than go for the highest stats that you can with the weapons that you prefer. There are FAR TOO MANY arguments about what weapons are better than which, and it's all just opinion and preference, I say.

Shadow_Wing recommends high DPS weapons, like Dual Handguns, Shotguns, and Crossbows, and I would like to second that recommendation. The purpose of Rifles is to stick SEs on enemies, or play at a really long distance. The above recommended three can all out-damage the Rifle.

UPDATE: Rifles, I just found out a bit ago, when the Bullet Arts are leveled up to 31+, also gain knockdown. This could very well mean a revival (for myself at least) of a weapon that I had not much love of using aside of against bosses.
(Hrith also mentions that Dual Handguns are a newbie's way out...chiefly the reasoning that I see behind that is because their range doesn't match up to a Rifle. >_> ~~ <_<)

Grenade Launchers and Laser Cannons have, or will eventually, have their place, so don't rule them completely out of using them. Beast Fortegunners might want to steer away from Grenade Launchers, though. The ATA from those weapons is not very high.

Grind weapons if necessary. Do so after the system changes if you're afraid of losing your weapons before that momentous event.
Grinding makes your weapons stronger attack-wise, allowing for more damage, and helps add valuable PP to the maximum of the weapon, which lets you use your guns longer, for those cases in which you do miss a few shots.

Items: Carry healing consumables, buff items, and traps, traps, tuh-RAPS! Traps are useful for those big, annoying enemies that would otherwise waste your PP magazine. I recommend G-Traps, even if they cost a bit more, because they can hit multiple areas of larger enemies, they have a better SE than the regular traps, and are easier to hit enemies with in S and S2 missions, if you're daring enough to run into the crowd for a few moments.
Buff items are for soloing, or the stingy techer that dun wanna buff you. :3

Kinds of Traps to carry: I already said G-Traps over regular, but this a bit of an extension. Sometimes (I say sometimes, not everyone has this problem, especially if they've got their rifles leveled for it) it's really tough, if not impossible, to proc an SE on a large enemy without traps.

Burn AND Virus -- You'll want both, these are the strongest DoTs.
Virus lasts longer and does more than Burn throughout it's duration, and can also stack with Freeze to halt certain enemies in place, while Burn has a shorter duration, but can do more overall damage if maintained consistently. The only problem is that you can't freeze enemies while they're on fire, so if you're Burning Jarbas you still have to beware of Megid... <_<

Freeze, Confuse, Shock -- Depending on what you're using them on, and how frequently, these can also be useful to carry.
--Confuse turns mobs into a Jerry Springer episode for a few seconds, leaving some of the heat of battle off of you and your comrades in order to change plans on the fly. Enemies will also hurt each other, too, and every little bit of numbers can be a plus. :3
--Freeze traps are for the bunch that don't carry Rifles and still want to hold down a large monster or two, or maybe it allows you the time you need to put your Rifle with Frozen Shot into your Action Palette so that you don't need to further rely on the trap. Regardless, they can still be an indispensible strategic, if used correctly.
--Shock traps. Oh my god, how many people use lighting bullets? I want a show of hands. Anyone? Now you see why these might be useful. Not everyone's going to have lightning bullets (myself included but that'll change after AotI, keeping our current skill levels and being able to swap PAs as needed :3 ), and Shock helps out against meele/attack-based enemies a TON. Got problems with enemies on Parum playing punching bag with everybody? Shock 'em and turn the tide! It's really too bad that Shock doesn't help on Neudaiz or Moatoob very much... D:
--Silence, while it might seem better for Neudaiz and Moatoob, is still not very useful, because most of the enemies that you'll really want to use them on are immune to Silence, and Freeze works with more stopping power anyway. I already looked it up.

PAs:

Bullets

I don't recommend Killer Shot. It's too expensive in PA Frags cost and PP cost.
It's mainly used for missions that have enemies with low STA, like small enemies (impractical), and robots (since they're resistant to bullets).
Since there's a couple people that scream Killer Shot is mandatory, there's bound to be other Fortegunners that already have it, and I see its possession by more than one in a party as redundant, myself.
Plus, Killer Shot IMO is rude. It's a kill-stealer on robot missions before anyone else can tag.

As a Fortegunner, you will most likely be using Rifles somewhere down the line, so for Rifles, get all the element bullets. Why? For SE4 at 21+. >_>
If you want Killer Shot as well, I don't hold it against people, I just think that enough people have it already. :3

I just heard from Ace that Twin Penetration is not worth the buy. At level 1 it has 60% ATP. I know he's saying 'ew' about it, but the overall DPS of it is probably raised if used in the right spots. Turning dualies into an impromptu Laser Cannon, however, is not my bag anyway. I don't recommend this one, either, but to each their own. :3

If you really want to do DPS on a line, get a Laser Cannon and a Prism PA or two. AoI's giving the Laser Cannons a little extra kick to them, too.

I bought Mayalee Hit some time ago, and got it to level 28 in five days. Believe me, this PA isn't as horrible as some people make it out to be, it's only preference. Just stick it on some grinded Rayratores, and you won't be needing to use your mates for healing as often, if at all. It also has an AoE to it, so it can hit two areas at once, like a pair of small enemies close together, or parts of a boss in likewise fashion. Crea Handgun in a PA, anyone? :3 I'm wondering just how much the HP recovery for this bullet's gonna be at 31+.
UPDATE: Handguns don't get SE4 at 31+ like I had hoped for, but the stats for Mayalee Shot are still tolerable enough for me to want to hang onto this PA, and possibly with either Tenora or Yohmei A-Rank handguns. GRM A-Rank guns are a bit overdone for my liking now, because they were the only ones available in the original PSU.

Oh yah...there's another set of bullets that I have to mention. Twin Mayalee, Barada Maga, and Yak Maga. Now, why do you think that I'd take the trouble to list these?
[list:c21db490e5]First off, not all Techers debuff, if any still do at all.

Second off, you might be soloing, and want a little extra assistance alongside of your buff items.

Third, you might be in a party with no techer at all.

Fourth, at 11+, the bullets have level 2 debuff ability. This currently exceeds a Guntecher's debuffing power, and matches a Wartecher's. In the case of Yak Maga and Twin Mayalee, however, they get level 3 debuffs at 21+, which rivals a Fortetecher.

Fifth, the debuff SE will always proc on enemies if they're not immune to it, making it worth your while to spread your shots out with Yak Maga and Barada Maga, to hit as many as possible and debuff them.

Sixth, Barada Maga can be very helpful to Beast Gunner-types in general, because it decreases enemy ATA, allowing you to block more of their attack, and decreases their EVP, making your shots miss even less than they would normally. Shadow_Wing says they don't miss very often, but I say the potential to close the gap is very nice. :3 I don't have this PA yet, cause I haven't been using shotties lately (and I don't have the PA frags for it, sue me >_> ), but I really recommend this one if you're a Beast Gunner.
[/list:u:c21db490e5]

Meele

You WILL need meele PA's if you're using crossbows, mechguns(maybe >_> ), or handguns, especially if you're soloing.
Rising Strike and Buten-Shuren Zan are nice for a quick escape, and Buten will be even nicer when the system update (and 20 Skill cap for Fortegunner) comes around. :3

The new Saber and Dagger PAs that came around recently are like MAGIC. Spinning Strike's damage is crazy, nearly rendering Rising Strike obselete for a PA to use. Stick with Rising Strike if you can't afford the PA frags for Spinning Strike, at least until you can afford Spinning Strike.

Hikai Shuha-zan is nice, too. It starts a teeny bit slower than Buten Shuren-zan, but from what I hear, it's not as easy to get knocked out of, and it levels really fast for a PA frag traded skill. I even found a little testimony that would make it extra-useful when Fortegunner gets 20 skills.
On 2007-09-29 01:32, Xaeris wrote:
I love Hikai. At first, I didn't appreciate the second step, but when I saw how to make the damn thing work, I made it my business to work on using it on command. The idea is to use the first step so that the last hit (the knockdown) lands just behind your intended target. When you go into the spin dash, ideally, you'll roll backwards into the enemy's back, thus using it as an impromptu wall to keep you from moving back.
Troublesome, but worth it; that launch is no joke.

Another set of Meele PAs to consider are Spears, but your best bet is to be using those if you feel like there is a mission where your guns are going to run out, even in a party. Every extra person in a team helps, so don't run for the recharge cube and shop NPC until the fighting's over. Dus Majarra can also be a fun one to play with at 11+, too.

Other than this, I think preference of weapons and situation to apply PAs in are up to your own sense of judgement.

Extra guides to look at:
Bullseye! (Talk about Ranger here!) (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120501&forum=22&212)
Shotguns: Did you know? (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=128122&forum=22&8)
Flinching 101: Key for rangers (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=129804&forum=22&3)

---------------

So...comments anyone?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2007-09-29 18:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2007-09-30 08:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2008-04-26 06:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2008-04-28 06:52 ]</font>

pokefiend
Sep 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
Why would line armor be better than Rabol armor as a beast FG? (hold phantomline of course.) most line armors are usually always missing either a head slot or body. Almost every rabol armor I know, has all three, head, arm, and body slots. Personally I believe Rabol Asted is the best armor for Beast FGs.

Also, contrary to what you seem to believe, but imo killer shot is a MUST HAVE! It is literally the only way to handle the high DFP robots even at level 1.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pokefiend on 2007-09-27 17:14 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Sep 27, 2007, 07:18 PM
For melee PAs, yea sabers are better I find than Spears, though, I like using gravity break over Rising Strike, since it doesn't make too much of a mess and it's pretty fast PA. For BAs, I'd suggest just picking up the ones you like the best. Fire/dark I find are a must for rifle, and ice is a nice addition (personally I'm a rifle/shotgun fan XD). The rest can be up to the player depending on how he likes to play.

Carry Photon Charges, as well as going for a power unit over a hit unit is preferred, refer to my eat a zonderide and kiss ur ata problems good bye.

With the body unit, try to get a leg piece however, a body unit isn't totally necessary for a fG, as it stands we don't get hit a lot unless the mob moves as fast as we do. And chances are ur either using a Crimson Line/Storm Line, rabols like above, or a Phantom Line depending on your play style and luck. So you can't always bank on having the slot you require, unless ur a CAST then u gotta have the extra slot <<;

Try to pick a high DPS weapon, be it either Crossbow, Twin Handguns or Shotguns, either one of the three or all three are great within your arsenal.

Additionally carry a lot of varying weapons and change your pallet to fit whatever you're doing. I know for me I carry around at least a few of each kind, just in case a weapon might do better here than there.

For Traps, carry mostly virus or burn traps, any other kind of trap I find is a waste of money and time, considering our ability to SE anything we want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2007-09-27 17:19 ]</font>

Sophia
Sep 27, 2007, 07:54 PM
Killer shot is mandatory.

KaffeKane
Sep 27, 2007, 08:06 PM
On 2007-09-27 17:18, Shadow_Wing wrote:
For melee PAs, yea sabers are better I find than Spears, though, I like using gravity break over Rising Strike, since it doesn't make too much of a mess and it's pretty fast PA. For BAs, I'd suggest just picking up the ones you like the best. Fire/dark I find are a must for rifle, and ice is a nice addition (personally I'm a rifle/shotgun fan XD). The rest can be up to the player depending on how he likes to play.

Spears are a sort of last-resort meele weapon for gunners, that's why I tried to have it as a maybe consideration. Damage is alright, and they hit multiple areas even without PAs, so that's why the maybe part.

Actually, make the most necessary Rifle bullets Fire, Dark, and Ice. Fire and Ice because those elements are encountered with the highest frequency, and Dark because you can overlap Virus with other SEs, like Freeze, and it does almost, if not just as much damage as Burn per tick and it lasts longer.

@ pokefiend: XD Okay, okay...I understand what you're talking about, but some of the other good gunners that I know of only use Killer Shot on missions with robots.

Carry Photon Charges, as well as going for a power unit over a hit unit is preferred, refer to my eat a zonderide and kiss ur ata problems good bye.

I count Photon Charges as a recovery consumable, but again, true.

With the body unit, try to get a leg piece however, a body unit isn't totally necessary for a fG, as it stands we don't get hit a lot unless the mob moves as fast as we do. And chances are ur either using a Crimson Line/Storm Line, rabols like above, or a Phantom Line depending on your play style and luck. So you can't always bank on having the slot you require, unless ur a CAST then u gotta have the extra slot <<;

I did say that as far as the Body units went to pick "Legs" rather than "Guard", but maybe I should have pointed that out a bit more specifically. I do say that Mega / Rainbow is still alright for damage reduction until the system changes happen, though. :3

@ pokefiend: Ouch. Rabols have the worst MST. Best to get them at high percents to resist tech damages, if you use them. I did say to equip a Mind unit in the Head Slot, so maybe that can offset the bad MST problem of Rabols...

Try to pick a high DPS weapon, be it either Crossbow, Twin Handguns or Shotguns, either one of the three or all three are great within your arsenal.

Love them all, and Cards too. (Though Cards are GT, not fG) Crossbow takes FOREVER to level to 11, though, cause it's like using a Handgun all over again. >_> I'm gonna hate leveling Yak Megiga after getting Yak Riga to 21...

Additionally carry a lot of varying weapons and change your pallet to fit whatever you're doing. I know for me I carry around at least a few of each kind, just in case a weapon might do better here than there.

You might be sacrificing space for synth mats/boards in order to do this (not much unless you have a "weapon-fetish"...lol, PSO reference), but I agree. A few spare weapons for whatever you feel is necessary always helps.
I'm acutally a bit too minimalist and stingy myself, so I always end up with the problem of my guns running out and I'm too stubborn to whip out the Photon Charges. >_> XD

For Traps, carry mostly virus or burn traps, any other kind of trap I find is a waste of money and time, considering our ability to SE anything we want.

Burn Traps are mostly for a quick DoT fix when you've got nothing else. Virus lasts longer, and as I said, does about as much per tick and can have Freeze overlap with it. Burn can't, for some obvious logic.
Poison, don't even consider unless you're GT. The DoT's pathetic, but it can overlap with Freeze, and it can also knockover, which is good for delaying Go Vahra/Olgohmon rape.

Freeze, Sleep, Shock, and Confuse traps all have their uses, though. Traps versus BAs, Traps will always get the SE in when they hit, while bullets will take a few shots or more. Think of it more like an "I'm not waiting for a debilitation to happen" kind of thing.

Damage Traps are lol. I'd much rather use Buten Shuren-zan or Rising Strike to knock enemies over or toss them around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2007-09-27 18:07 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Sep 27, 2007, 08:19 PM
Well you have to consider the mob type to when using a trap, I know from experience, using a trap on smaller mobs is just unnecessary, you'll proc a SE within a few seconds, or in terms of a party, it'll die too fast to throw up any additional trap SEs. While Big mobs usually have immunities and what not, and things like freeze isn't really difficult to land to begin with. But alas I'm always reminded "To each their own" cause I know with my arsenal of rifles, 90% of the time I don't have much SE problems <<;

Definitely Killer Shot is robot only, outside of robot missions I have a hard to finding a place where it's worth the PP cost ._..

With the difference between Burn and Virus, Virus does more damage overall per each proc, but Burn is more DoT if you can proc it consistantly. So in the end, Virus is great if burn doesn't proc too well, while Burn is better if you can proc it consistently.

KaffeKane
Sep 27, 2007, 08:43 PM
On 2007-09-27 18:19, Shadow_Wing wrote:
Well you have to consider the mob type to when using a trap, I know from experience, using a trap on smaller mobs is just unnecessary, you'll proc a SE within a few seconds, or in terms of a party, it'll die too fast to throw up any additional trap SEs. While Big mobs usually have immunities and what not, and things like freeze isn't really difficult to land to begin with. But alas I'm always reminded "To each their own" cause I know with my arsenal of rifles, 90% of the time I don't have much SE problems <<;

Definitely Killer Shot is robot only, outside of robot missions I have a hard to finding a place where it's worth the PP cost ._..

With the difference between Burn and Virus, Virus does more damage overall per each proc, but Burn is more DoT if you can proc it consistantly. So in the end, Virus is great if burn doesn't proc too well, while Burn is better if you can proc it consistently.

You know, I just read another post about the Burn/Virus argument, and I think I might have to agree with you on that. *Replaces Yak Megiga with Yak Banga* XD

Genoa
Sep 27, 2007, 11:11 PM
This is why I have burn on rifle, and infection on crossbow :>

KaffeKane
Sep 28, 2007, 07:42 PM
On 2007-09-27 21:11, MegamanX wrote:
This is why I have burn on rifle, and infection on crossbow :>

Hahaha, mine's the other way around, amusingly.

Dhylec
Sep 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
It's a small guide, but I hope it's helpful to someone. ;]
Do keep up & update it if you can.

KaffeKane
Sep 29, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-09-28 21:57, Dhylec wrote:
It's a small guide, but I hope it's helpful to someone. ;]
Do keep up & update it if you can.

Hope to. I've got some stuff in the PA section that I want to swing around in a bit, but I've got other things on my mind at the moment. I still have a job hunt to finish, and I'm waiting on an e-mail for a closed beta and a PM at the GU forums.

KaffeKane
Apr 25, 2008, 07:58 PM
Update based on AotI changes coming as soon as in-field research is possible. Minor edits based on current knowledge coming this Saturday.

Not to nitpick, Ryna, but this guide in your quick-search list is in the Forces section.

KiiLoo
Apr 27, 2008, 12:14 PM
On 2007-09-27 17:54, Sophia wrote:
Killer shot is mandatory.

why would you ever use killer shot? it may possibly be the worst PA in the .

Hrith
Apr 27, 2008, 12:32 PM
Killer Shot and Dus Majarra are compulsory on a Fortegunner.

Crossbows, rifles, shotguns, grenades and lasers are also compulsory, with as many PAs as you can for each type.

Twin handguns and machineguns must be avoided.

One-handed melee weapons are decent, but spears are better, and one-handed melee weapons make crossbows very annoying to recharge.

Extra slot is mandatory, so any shield without A/B/E slots is out. Fortegunner has the highest STA in the game, it's easy to achieve immunity to Megid with this class.

Female >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Male.

KaffeKane
Apr 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
Okay, now that I'm using a comp at the library, I can properly respond to this post.

On 2008-04-27 10:32, Hrith wrote:
Killer Shot and Dus Majarra are compulsory on a Fortegunner.

Ever since gaining the ability to swap PAs and keep the levels/disks rather than losing them utterly (if AotI allows this), then yes, you can level Killer Shot to 40 and then hold onto the disk until you need it. Dus Majarra is my preference, however, and I found it to be so when I was fighting Svaltuses and De Ragnus during the 1up Cup. (even though I was playing as a Fighgunner to do something different at the time)

Crossbows, rifles, shotguns, grenades and lasers are also compulsory, with as many PAs as you can for each type.

Twin handguns and machineguns must be avoided.

After finding out that Rifles have gotten/are getting knockdown at 31+ for bullet levels, that's some sexy strut for a Fortegunner.

I HATE leveling Crossbows, even though they really do well after 21+. It's like trying to use a slower and less accurate Handgun at first, and that ANNOYS me.

From the moment I started using Shotguns, I loved it. Despite their seemingly low attack stats, the ability to get up to five bullets in a shot and hit one enemy with all that is nice. If you have high EVP, these make practicing/mastering Just Counter a must for gunners, even though I haven't...sadly.

Grenades and LAZORS. Lasers having gotten a minor kick to them makes them more useful to play with, if you ever want. Just don't use them on bosses, they're too slow for that.
Grenades, as I said, have atrocious accuracy and are better for CASTs and Newmans than others, but it's preference. Use if you like.

Twin Handguns and Mechs avoided? Kay. I've got some PA fixing to do when I come back to PSU.

One-handed melee weapons are decent, but spears are better, and one-handed melee weapons make crossbows very annoying to recharge.

I take it you dislike about how when you're using the main hand/off-hand weapon setup and you use a Photon Charge, it splits the charge between both rather than giving a full charge to the active weapon. Yes, that is annyoing. That's why I juggle between meele and gun once the gun's run out. By the time I've run the meele weapon down, the gun's almost half-charged anyway. I did this while I was leveling Mayalee Hit. WHICH I'M NOT GETTING RID OF, THANK YOU MUCH, IN CASE YOU COMPLAIN OR CALL ME NUB.

Spears are sexy in a Fortegunner's hands with Dus Majarra. Able to hit four areas four times with the second combo step, and if you Just Attack right, all of those are crits, too. Nasty against larger enemies with multiple hit areas. (I doubt Bil De Vear is, even despite being large...but I've probably forgotten.)

Extra slot is mandatory, so any shield without A/B/E slots is out. Fortegunner has the highest STA in the game, it's easy to achieve immunity to Megid with this class.

Why need immunity to Megid when you can avoid it? And on the off-chance that you end up getting killed in one shot from it, you're not party with some coldhearted lot that doesn't use Moon Atomizers or Giresta, and forces you to buy Scapes, are you?

I'm sorry, but Extra Slot is not mandatory, it's just useful, unless you're a CAST wanting your SUV and then it is mandatory. (And this finalizes my standpoint on that, so I'm not going to drag this into a flaming argument)

Head/Arm/Body are more useful for Fortegunner, because you can still influence damage reduction against TECHNICs a little bit with some more MST, and if you want a boost to your STA that badly when your shield line doens't have an Extra Slot, just wear a Resist Unit.

Female >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Male.

Hrith, if you are Kef: I take it this is your fetish with RAmarls.