PDA

View Full Version : College Major

Link00seven
Sep 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
I just wanted some input on something thats been on my mind lately. Basically my latest blog post edited, just go ahead and read it and let me know what you guys think. I would really appreciate the input.

Over the last few weeks I have been a music major at Wayne State University, in Detroit.. WSU is a good school, and I've enjoyed the actual college life, the classes, professors, and all of that stuff. However, I am second guessing my actual major. Why is this, you ask? Well, as much as I have always loved music, as much as I enjoy playing and how much music has shaped my life, I also enjoy computers/technology.

To be successful in music, you have to love it, inside and out. You have to basically be obsessed with it to be really good. Yes, I'm not a bad saxophone player, however I don't have the drive to practice 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I would much rather work on configuring a network, or creating a website. I'm more interested in tech news and babble then anything music related, consisting reading sites like Digg, C-Net, Apple, Microsoft, Engadget, etc.

Earlier today I was practicing some etudes on my saxophone, and I absolutely hated it. I just don't care to take the time to work on being a better saxophone player. I just want to do it for fun. Even if its a simple 12 bar blues form that I solo over, its just more of a hobby and pastime to me then a full fledged career. However, throughout the years music came naturally to me, and for this reason I thought it to be something that I could do while keeping my tech infatuation on as the hobby, however I think I got it backwards the whole time. Earlier today the AT&T installation guy came to install my new service today (we just got U-Verse), and before he was even done I was configuring my network and getting the firewall configure, renewing and configuring the IP address and asking him tons of questions about the new IPTV service, how it compares to what we have now, the type of cable and how it transmits information to and from the server, and all of that kinda thing. Technology is my passion. That is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Music is something I feel I would be better at just as a hobby and pastime. Something I can do for fun.

Whats killing me is that I feel if I change to a computer science major, that I will have to give up playing music completely. That is not what I want to do at all. Music is a wonderful thing, and I really enjoy it, but for the rest of my life as a career? I've always had an infatuation with computers and technology. I was 4 years old when I got my first computer and at 7 I knew how to edit autoexec.bat files, config.sys, configure a windows installation and even mess around a little bit inside. Throughout high school I excelled in technology and music, doing very well in both fields. Whenever a computer issue comes up, people always came and continue to come to me for help because its something that has come very natural to me.

I don't really know where I am going with this really, but I just want your input. Do you think I should continue to try and pursue this music career, or in your opinion do you think I would be better suited for a career in some technology field?

I know that many many people go through this as they start college (I just turned 18 and have begun my college career) and I appreciate any input you guys may have on the subject.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Link00seven on 2007-09-30 16:39 ]</font>

Tetsaru
Sep 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
Ah, I understand completely. I've already gone through nearly 3 years of college, and I STILL don't know what to major in. It was stressing me out so badly that I had to withdraw for a while...

My first year of college, I tried out computer programming, since at the time, it seemed like the closest field related to a video game career. I hated it. Then, I started going into art and graphic design courses. I enjoyed it to an extent, but it wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. Now, I'm debating whether I want to major in music (maybe composition), because I've been in high school and college band programs for about a decade now.

My passion is gaming. Being able to help make a video game would be cool, but I enjoy PLAYING them, being able to experience worlds as someone who can actually make a difference in them, being able to compete with your friends and other people online to test your abilities... THAT'S what I love. I guess what I'm wanting is to become a professional gamer, if there is such a thing... and I doubt there is, where I'm from. And... I guess I'm afraid of moving out of state to somewhere I've never been, abandoning all my life-long friends and such. That's my dilemma.

I guess if you love technology more than music, you should go into that. Or, I guess you could major in one subject and minor in the other. I'm sure there's a way you could link the two together - computers are used for practically EVERYTHING nowadays. Perhaps you could go into something like recording, or composing?

Ketchup345
Oct 1, 2007, 01:10 AM
It is probably much easier on you to switch majors earlier than later.

Many schools will allow a person to take music classes, even if they are not a music major (my school requires every student to take a theater, music, or other art class). Use music for your electives if you decide to switch.

Personally, I feel that if you think being a music major is too much, it is probably worth it to at least look at the computer science sheet to find out what classes you have to take, what optional classes are (such as this or that), and how many elective classes you can take.

There is a major at some schools for sound recording, as Tetsaru suggested. Depending on the school, you may be required to continue playing an instrument, but you do get some classes on computers.

BlaizeYES
Oct 1, 2007, 01:27 AM
be pragmatic. go for computer-based studies.

no offense, but everyone has a hobby. but the few that are able to make the hobby a career are few and far between without reaching you pinnacle of success. sometimes you have to delay your "hobbies" for a while for the greater good. you need to find what you're good at, what is much more definite in a career aspect, and what you at least dont MIND doing for a good remainder of your life. i chose marketing, and i love it and dont get tired of the career. it took me a year off of school and switching my major from architecture(my true "love") before i knew what i wanted to do.

look at what you can realistically achieve in computer technology and the lifestyle it could support as opposed to music. music is an art form, and even when it is fun, a career in the arts is much more unreliable than having a solid job involved in something you're great with and can be applied to society today.

dont even bother taking "minor" courses in it. your goal should be with computers, then linger back to music and maybe take a few classes for whatever reason after you've graduated if you really love music that much. but computer technology is going to put money in the bank much faster.

then when you have a good career for yourself, build a sydney opera house on the moon if music is still tickling your fancy that much

CupOfCoffee
Oct 1, 2007, 07:22 AM
Exactly what Blaize said. As a person who's gone three years through college studying under a major I really don't think I'll be able to stand much longer (and probably wouldn't be able to do much with even if I graduated), by all means change it as soon as you can. Technology is a solid, nearly "un-obsoletable" field. I seriously doubt that you'll ever find that there are no jobs left that need doing in that field, and if it's your true passion, all the better. Good luck to you, sir. Now if only I could summon up the courage to get out of the graphic design field. Eh.

amtalx
Oct 1, 2007, 08:56 AM
To be honest, it really doesn't matter what your major is. Most people don't end up doign what they majored in anyway. Related? Yes, but spot on, no. The only thing that really matters is that you don't pick a major that will only get you into certain fields like English or Psychology. Music isn't likely to get you a job anywhere unless you plan on being professional musician or a teacher. Tech degrees on the other hand will get you job just about anywhere.

Solstis
Oct 1, 2007, 09:20 AM
English is applicable to most things that require thought, or something related to Business. English majors could become Journalists, but there's a bit of a rivalry and tension between those majors.

Business and English are probably the two least constricting majors, Business (general) leaves you free to do pretty much anything that doesn't require certification. Business classes tend to be a buzz-kill, though. Tech degrees will let you do anything involving tech, and you have to keep up with the trends in technology. There are a lot of tech jobs, but programmers and electrical engineers are going to suffer job security hell (my neighbor got laid off right after he finished his project). Not to mention that Engineers (post graduation) are hardly qualified to do anything but engineering because of their heavy course load (still, pretty much insta-job if you graduate).

Do what you want. If you like tech, go in to tech. If you don't, put your heart (heart? that sounds so silly) into something that interests you.

Don't wait until you retire to actually enjoy your life.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-10-01 07:22 ]</font>

kevlar_pso
Oct 1, 2007, 02:19 PM
GL with your decision. I am on my second major as a part time student. Emphasis on part. Since you are only 18 I would not stress out about it too much. You have plenty of time to sort things out. The earliest I can graduate would be when I turn 35.

Fleur-de-Lis
Oct 1, 2007, 02:38 PM
Segovia became a member of the Spanish Royal Court, solely through his skill with the guiltar, by practicing a few hours in the morning, 5-6 days a week. Don't get me wrong, 15 hours a week is a lot of time to practice a 'hobby', even if you are passionate about it, when you also have other studies and a job to worry about.

But you aren't aiming for a knighthood, either.

My point is, as a former student, and the brother of a CS major; if you're not feeling the music, don't force it. Conversely, I wouldn't make the switch to any major simply because it's more practical. I've met scores of people who regret that decision.

If you do switch, don't worry about losing the music, you will make time if you really want it. My brother is full-time and has a job, but he's always able to practice and jam with me and our dad, and it's a lot of fun. I think it takes his head out of the drudgery of CS, to boot.

Link00seven
Oct 1, 2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah I don't know exactly what I am going to do yet but I have a feeling I'm going to leave the music department at this point, though I still got a bit of time to decide. It's just a difficult decision to make, or I'm making it a bit more difficult then it needs to be.

Thanks for the input.

Turambar
Oct 1, 2007, 04:27 PM
Well, first things first, half a talk with your advisor/s. As many have said, what you major is rarely what you end up doing. However, what you major in will often surprise you in what it links to in regards to graduate degrees. For example, few realize that a BA in philosophy is often the first step one takes in a degreee in Law.