PDA

View Full Version : This is my WTF face when I saw...

Garnet_Moon
Oct 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
A Maple Story commercial on TV.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/cottontail777/wtf.jpg

How can a free game afford to advertise itself on TV, when a paid game like PSU can't? It's beyond me, and the commercial had a Pig with a Gentlemens hat. And it talked. And the guy reminded me of an older scruffier Parn with how he was dressed.

Seriously though. Where is my PSU commercials? ; _ ;

Don't know where to put this thread, so I just defaulted to PSU General because it's kinda related. Kind of. If it's the wrong section, please move it.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 4, 2007, 11:37 AM
On 2007-10-04 09:37, Menochi wrote:

On 2007-10-04 09:35, Garnet_Moon wrote:

In Japan.

Makes me sad because they are probably epic like the old Sonic the Hedgehog ones. ; _ ;

Menochi
Oct 4, 2007, 11:37 AM
On 2007-10-04 09:35, Garnet_Moon wrote:

In Japan.

CelestialBlade
Oct 4, 2007, 11:38 AM
Not so much a money issue, Sega's marketting department just sucks, evidently.

Powder Keg
Oct 4, 2007, 11:38 AM
Well, at least one aspect of my sig is still accurate when it comes to US players.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 4, 2007, 11:45 AM
On 2007-10-04 09:43, Remedy wrote:
Voted Arby's because, thanks to you, that's where I'm going for lunch in 15 minutes. :V

An Arby's just opened up near me so i'm enjoying my 3 Beef n Cheddar sammiches. <3

But on topic, I have AoI in the mail for the 3 month advance on updates and test piloting, but now I need to hunt those commercials down on youtube...

ShinAnt
Oct 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
I'm eating Arby'sbreakfast burritos right now, and don't care.(1)

Fix'd

No but seriously. I hear you Garnet.That is a big wtf. I also seen a news story saying that "Maple story was harming kids and is WAAAAAAAY to addicting"

Fox news strikes again. EVER HEARD OF WOW!

Well I f we can get a commercial for the Sonic Games. We surly should get ONE AOI commercial.
Right?....RIGHT?!?!

Mystil
Oct 4, 2007, 11:53 AM
On 2007-10-04 09:38, Artea wrote:
Well, at least one aspect of my sig is still accurate when it comes to US players.

Well the Saturn AND the Dreamcast are indeed alive and well over there =o. And SEGA is a xenophobe, that's obvious.

Golto
Oct 4, 2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah I thought the same exact thing when I saw this maple story commerical like 5 times durng Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. 'How can a free online game afford to run a commercial several times but one that is pay to play can't?' But Maple Story does have things you can buy with real money from them and has a huge user base.

Rizen
Oct 4, 2007, 11:55 AM
THANK GOD I'm not the only one who saw something wrong with Maple Story having commercials. Not to mention half of them are just...disturbing.

I really am sad that PSU isn't advertised in the US. If ST put out a little more effort in the market, the population of PSU probably would be alot better.

Then again...I can understand why it is the way it is...

Kaloa
Oct 4, 2007, 11:58 AM
Doesn't Maple Story have a cash shop? I was always under the impression that cash shops were extremely profitable. Pair that with the fact that there are way more people playing Maple Story than PSU, and I don't think it's that hard to understand why we're seeing Maple Story commercials and not PSU commercials.

landman
Oct 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
I could use google to know what maple story is buy I really don't care

Garnet_Moon
Oct 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
I'll sleep better at night when I know these kids playing and paying for Maple Story are being beaten by their parents for stealing their credit cards.

And if the parents are OKing it, well... :

ShinAnt
Oct 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
Also probably too lil' air time with all the Naruto and Halo 3 Commercials...

DAMN YOU MASTER CHIEF AND MIXTURE OF CODE RED AND LIME WIRE!

CelestialBlade
Oct 4, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'll sleep better at night knowing that I'm playing PSU rather than Maple Story.

Seriously, have you played that game? I thought FFXI progress was slow....

Sami
Oct 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
Is it not obvious? Sega can't spend the money because they need it. Else we would have like gms running around and stuff. And doing more to please the fans.

VanHalen
Oct 4, 2007, 12:27 PM
Glad I'm not the only one with a problem with the MapleStory commerical. And people say this game is a grind http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

ShadowDragon28
Oct 4, 2007, 12:31 PM
Ok, months ago I downloaded and played a little of Maple Story. Massively slow grinding game, and for some reason the game would crash every 30 min and could never figure out what was causing it. It was a boring ass game anyways, and is a bad "rip-off" of the old "Monster World" games just turned into a 2-D MMO.

It may be free to play, *but* it has a Shop with a large amount clothes, hair styles, accessories and other items to give to your character /have your character wear which can *only* be bought with a RL *credit card.* That's how it makes all it's money.

Many of the kids that play MS are "borrowing" (or stealing) their parents PayPal/Credit Card and racking up charges just to customize their avatar/character. Those commercials are to target kids to play but conveniently leaves out what the game actually charges you for; so they are kind of misleading as well as dumb overall.

Sega's marketing dept hasn't formulated any effective advertising since the days of the Sega Genesis. IDK what's up with them.
Sega's advertising of it's games has been relatively small unfortunately. Lack of budget required for massive across-the-board advertizing akin to Halo 3 or a FF game ads is apparent I think. It's disappointing yes. *sigh* ah well.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 4, 2007, 12:36 PM
They wouldn't even need to make commercial. Just pay someone to run the AoI intro in a commercial slot, and have the logo, date of release, and the website address.

As long as it isn't a documentary like currently on the official site, then it'd be a good commercial. :

xennec
Oct 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
Yes, Maple Story has cashshop and if you've ever seen someone play that game you will realize how much is actually spent there. I would say that over 3/4 of the community there is decked out in full cash shop clothing. Just to change your hairstyle to another of your choice costs $5.00. Say that each piece of cash shop clothing costs $3.00, then thats $20 for a full outfit including the $5.00 hair change. THATS how Maple Story gets their money. I know all this because my brother used to play Maple Story, but luckily I just recently converted him to PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xennec on 2007-10-04 10:44 ]</font>

Remedy
Oct 4, 2007, 12:43 PM
On 2007-10-04 10:41, xennec wrote:
Yes, Maple Story has cashshop and if you've ever seen someone play that game you will realize how much is actually spent there. I would say that over 3/4 of the community there is decked out in full cash shop clothing. Just to change your hairstyle to another of your choice costs $5.00. Say that each piece of cash shop clothing costs $3.00, then thats $20 for a full outfit including the $5.00 hair change. THATS how Maple Story gets their money. I know all this because my brother used to play Maple Story. But luckily I just recently converted him to PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You think that's bad?

Someone on a forum I go to recently admitted that he'd spent over 10,000 dollars on Maple cash shop shit in the last 6 months.

Garnet_Moon
Oct 4, 2007, 12:47 PM
On 2007-10-04 10:43, Remedy wrote:

On 2007-10-04 10:41, xennec wrote:
Yes, Maple Story has cashshop and if you've ever seen someone play that game you will realize how much is actually spent there. I would say that over 3/4 of the community there is decked out in full cash shop clothing. Just to change your hairstyle to another of your choice costs $5.00. Say that each piece of cash shop clothing costs $3.00, then thats $20 for a full outfit including the $5.00 hair change. THATS how Maple Story gets their money. I know all this because my brother used to play Maple Story. But luckily I just recently converted him to PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You think that's bad?

Someone on a forum I go to recently admitted that he'd spent over 10,000 dollars on Maple cash shop shit in the last 6 months.

I know a few people who spent over 5,000 in a very short time on another game called Second Life.
why people do this is beyond me...

Para
Oct 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
that and maple story probably a bigger playerbase than PSU. psu needs more advertising plz.

Rizen
Oct 4, 2007, 12:56 PM
Not to mention Maple Story gets plugs from magazines and Target....

F-Gattaca
Oct 4, 2007, 01:00 PM
On 2007-10-04 10:47, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I know a few people who spent over 5,000 in a very short time on another game called Second Life.
why people do this is beyond me...

What's even more frightening is that people actually make a living just off real-life money they earn in Second Life.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19242/?a=f

"JZ: We have about 45,000 profitable business owners--accounts that have positive monthly Linden flow. That's up from about 25,000 in February. About 150 of them make over US$5,000 dollars within a single month. These are the creative people and the very technically talented people who've built most of the content in Second Life, and they're able to reap value from that. "

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-10-04 11:01 ]</font>

Remedy
Oct 4, 2007, 01:01 PM
On 2007-10-04 10:47, Garnet_Moon wrote:
why people do this is beyond me...Well, at least in SL, if you're intelligent enough or underhanded enough at it, you can make your money back or more. Hell, there are entrepreneurs who make their livings off of SL.

Edit: God damnit, sarnath'd

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remedy on 2007-10-04 11:13 ]</font>

VanHalen
Oct 4, 2007, 01:08 PM
I say we all meet up and make our own AoI commerical :3

Remedy
Oct 4, 2007, 01:11 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:08, VanHalen wrote:
I say we all meet up and make our own AoI commerical :3Dibs on being the geek playing it from work. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Garnet_Moon
Oct 4, 2007, 01:12 PM

Wasn't someone going to do that? Make weapon props from whatever the populous here wanted, and then make a video of them in use?

Remedy
Oct 4, 2007, 01:14 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:12, Garnet_Moon wrote:
Wasn't someone going to do that? Make weapon props from whatever the populous here wanted, and then make a video of them in use?I swear to god, if they don't make a Psycho Wand (with working extend/retract action), I'll murder em http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

VanHalen
Oct 4, 2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah that was CaptainPlanet. Not sure if he's still doing it. If he's filming it right now tell him to hurry D:

Feelmirath
Oct 4, 2007, 01:16 PM

HEL YEH http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

VanHalen
Oct 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:14, Remedy wrote:

On 2007-10-04 11:12, Garnet_Moon wrote:
Wasn't someone going to do that? Make weapon props from whatever the populous here wanted, and then make a video of them in use?I swear to god, if they don't make a Psycho Wand (with working extend/retract action), I'll murder em http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Well, you better get your Shigga Damuc ready. They weren't going to do any TECHNIC based attacks since it wouldn't look too good.

Bitey
Oct 4, 2007, 01:22 PM
In Maplestory, some people feel you MUST have a pet with a Meso Magnet and Item gathering thingy (forgot it's name) and you also need a shop to sell the things you find to PCs. Those four alone are as expensive as PSU >.>

They also make their money with AP and stat scrolls as well as EXP scrolls. Since the game is such a slow grind, once you get high enough if you make ONE click mistake after you level (and trust me, this happens way too easily) you are forced to fork out $3.00 per point to fix it or make a new character and spend hundreds of hours to get back to the same point. If you want to make the grind slightly less painful, you can spend $19 to get double experience.

Remedy
Oct 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:19, VanHalen wrote:
Well, you better get your Shigga Damuc ready. They weren't going to do any TECHNIC based attacks since it wouldn't look too good.And by Shigga Damuc, you mean Megid 40, right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Fatima
Oct 4, 2007, 01:34 PM
Gaia also has adds....in various magazines...and I know Neopets has tv commercials....*shakes head*

Rizen
Oct 4, 2007, 01:37 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:34, Fatima wrote:
Gaia also has adds....in various magazines...and I know Neopets has tv commercials....*shakes head*
Among tons on tons of other merchandise...

SEGA!!! WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Remedy
Oct 4, 2007, 01:37 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:34, Fatima wrote:
Gaia also has adds....in various magazines...and I know Neopets has tv commercials....*shakes head*I saw a Neopets ad on a bus the other day. *headdesk*

McLaughlin
Oct 4, 2007, 01:51 PM
On 2007-10-04 09:38, Artea wrote:

It's also breaking a rule when it comes to the TOS. It can't be any more than 5 lines. Yours is at least 8.

DavidNel
Oct 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
Here is how some of these things make money:

Neopets- merchandise, donations
Gaia: Merchandise, donation for ingame items
Maple Story: Sells items online, donations

Remedy
Oct 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:51, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
It's also breaking a rule when it comes to the TOS. It can't be any more than 5 lines. Yours is at least 8.Oh come on, it's bloody damn text. If we're going to point out sig violations, can we start with the huge-ass flash-based one that F-Gattaca has to start with? Stupid thing always makes my Wii lag when I'm browsing from home (no PC at home right now, long story).

ShadowDragon28
Oct 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
The hypothesis that " the more craptastic and lame something is, the more often that thing is advertised on TV " seems to have some basis in truth I think.

Maple Story is a rip-off and a lame game overall IMO.
It is unfortunate that what little Phantasy Star and PSU related goods there are can only be found and bought in Japan...

Fatima
Oct 4, 2007, 02:04 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:53, DavidNel wrote:
Here is how some of these things make money:

Neopets- merchandise, donations
Gaia: Merchandise, donation for ingame items
Maple Story: Sells items online, donations

Oh I know how they make the money...but...the cash flow coming in I'm sure can't compare to the lump sum sega recieves monthly just for us to turn the game on....n__n;

relentless
Oct 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
Hmm..~ to be honest I don't care. But if they were to make commercials for the US, EU (where I live) would probably still uneffected by this, sadly. q pew?

edit:
lol, clicking on Forum Index while loading too long really prevents me from double-posting. n_n

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeKaI on 2007-10-04 12:13 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Oct 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:53, Remedy wrote:

On 2007-10-04 11:51, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
It's also breaking a rule when it comes to the TOS. It can't be any more than 5 lines. Yours is at least 8.Oh come on, it's bloody damn text. If we're going to point out sig violations, can we start with the huge-ass flash-based one that F-Gattaca has to start with? Stupid thing always makes my Wii lag when I'm browsing from home (no PC at home right now, long story).

A violation is a violation. I also thought I checked F-Gattica's sig and found it to be within the site's parameters. But if it's a violation, report it.

F-Gattaca
Oct 4, 2007, 09:46 PM
On 2007-10-04 11:53, Remedy wrote:
Oh come on, it's bloody damn text. If we're going to point out sig violations, can we start with the huge-ass flash-based one that F-Gattaca has to start with? Stupid thing always makes my Wii lag when I'm browsing from home (no PC at home right now, long story).

Wow, this is the first time I've gotten hate over my sig. From Remedy, no less.

Look Remedy, I was acutely aware of the rules regarding signatures when I made this flash movie. On top of that I did my best to make it look nice while trying to keep it from burdening computers (and mine is rather old, so I would know). That's why the flash signature's quality is internally set to Low, aside from the pixel fonts looking better when not anti-aliased.

The rules state:
Signature limits still remain the same as they were before. 600 pixels horizontal, 180 pixels vertical, 35000 bytes max, NOT 35KB. This rule still applies to Flash signatures, do not have Flash movies loading other movies.

Let's see.

My flash signature is 450 x 180 pixels, well within regulations. In fact, it was the exact same dimensions as the previous sig of the other guy who uses flash signatures on these boards, VioletSkye.

Who is a mod, by the way.

Its size is 33680 bytes, or 32.8 KB. That's well under the limit of 35000 bytes.

This flash movie does not have any other flash movies loaded inside it.

Moral of the story: Don't lash out at me to cover your own butt, or someone else's, just because my sig has flashy-movey pictures.

By the way, my name is F Gattaca. You should've seen it in my sig; big white letters. The dash in my PSOW username is only because the forums do not allow for spaces.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-10-04 19:50 ]</font>

Polychrome
Oct 4, 2007, 10:32 PM
I like Maple Story, but the fact, is, I generally prefer the "twitchy", more actiony RPGs over the pushbutton ones like World of Dumbcraft.

So no guesses as to why I'm in PSU for my *paid* MMO fix.

That said, Maple Story makes money from the "cash shop", which allows people to purchase extras for their character with real money. That said, the game is fully-playable and enjoyable without, but I just like having my character's appearance customized.

ETA:

F-Gattaca:

If you want to use flash, I would suggest (and this is just my little flash-artist opinion) that you either draw the image yourself or get a fanartist to draw one for you. A native vector image will be very crisp with a very tiny filesize. (I'd offer, but I don't know if I'm good at drawing robots... never tried. D:) My thought is it might be the "mixed media" thing causing the slowdowns, rather than the actual filesize. If for no other reason, it'll look prettier. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polychrome on 2007-10-04 20:39 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Oct 4, 2007, 11:12 PM
No, it's more likely the fact that the Wii wasn't meant to run Flash, and until PSO-W decides to alter its signature rules to cater to the Wii-browsing population of one in this community, his Flash signature is fine.

F-Gattaca
Oct 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
On 2007-10-04 20:32, Polychrome wrote:
F-Gattaca:

If you want to use flash, I would suggest (and this is just my little flash-artist opinion) that you either draw the image yourself or get a fanartist to draw one for you. A native vector image will be very crisp with a very tiny filesize. (I'd offer, but I don't know if I'm good at drawing robots... never tried. D:) My thought is it might be the "mixed media" thing causing the slowdowns, rather than the actual filesize. If for no other reason, it'll look prettier. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But ... my name is F Gattaca ...

Ahem. Anyway, I do know that using native vector lineart looks cleaner and doesn't pixellate if the animation scales it. I'm a flash animator myself, after all. However, I've found from the flash movies I've made that, for complex images (like the inclusion of myself in my sig), trying to replicate that in vector causes more of a problem for computers than does simply using an image.

In my five year anniversary animation (http://trevmun.deviantart.com/art/Ragnarok-Wisdom-Five-Years-65462611) for Ragnarok Wisdom (http://www.adultimum.net/rw/), I actually had to convert the bodies of some characters to a transparent .png image just because their original vector art was so complex it slowed my computer down to 5 FPS.

I could try and replace the image with a vector replica. I've certainly made flash movies involving my PSU self (http://trevmun.deviantart.com/art/PSU-Dreams-of-Photon-Sheep-45589196) in the past. However, considering the slowdown from all that detail, I imagine Remedy would be complaining very loudly if I tried.

The only problem with using images in a flash movie is that they cause the overall file size to go up, but my flash signature is still within file size limits so I see it as an acceptable hit.

On 2007-10-04 21:12, beatrixkiddo wrote:
No, it's more likely the fact that the Wii wasn't meant to run Flash, and until PSO-W decides to alter its signature rules to cater to the Wii-browsing population of one in this community, his Flash signature is fine.

I dunno, Homestar Runner does fine with it. (http://www.videlectrix.com/vii/)

But like I said, I am hardly the first to make flash signatures.

VioletSkye is a mod here and he's been making them for much longer than I have.

Ether made those flash buttons for a while.

Out_Kast
Oct 5, 2007, 03:37 PM
I played MapleStory once at a friends house.
Never again.

@F-Gattaca: I respect your Sig x]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Out_Kast on 2007-10-06 02:44 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Oct 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
I remember playing maple story until I hit level 30. I never played it again after that. After looking at the thread title and what it's about, this is the face I made.

http://www.med.wayne.edu/classpages/yearbook/Shocked.jpg