PDA

View Full Version : Weapons and tactics

spacergal
Oct 4, 2007, 12:05 PM
I know back in the PSO days, there were lots of different "builds" for characters, depending on weapons, stats, and just the overall way you approached combat. Now that I've been playing PSU a little, I was wondering what some of the "preferred" race/class/weapon-set combinations currently are, and if there are any thaty should be avoided at all costs.

Bliven
Oct 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
It's mainly preference.

SolomonGrundy
Oct 4, 2007, 12:39 PM
Back in PSO, hunters used heavy DFP/ATP builds, and ATA units in armor slots
Rangers also went heavy on ATP, since thier own ATP, and ranger weapon ATP were light.
TECH Forces went heavy MST, everything else was secondary

In PSU, there are no materials, that being said, there are some common set ups.

Hunters tend to use armor's with an arm, body, and extra slot. the extra lot is for an HP/restore unit. The HP really adds up over time.

They focus on 2 types of skills: the first type is called a 'utility' skill. this manipulates enemies so they are no longer as much of a threat. Rising strike, the photon art all hunters start with, is a utility PA.
The second type is called a 'damaging' skill. These skills do little to control enemies, but are wonderfull at laying down damage is heaps. A good example is Dus Duggas (a spear PA). Many hit with a high ATP weapon.

Rangers are more focused on dealing status effects (SEs), and specifically specifically "DoTs" (damage over time). Fire and virus are the two most common DoTs. DoTs are delivered by bullet arts. The two best weapons for delivering high level DoTs are crossbows and rifles.
Rangers also tend to use armors with a arm, body and extra slot - though truthfully, armor is less important on a rangers, as they tend to be more mobile, and as a result, get hit less.

Forces in PSU are a little different. in high level online play, forces generally had a heavy support role (shifta/deband/jellen/zalure). PSU is quite different. Attack techs are exremely effective in terms of damage, and can also deliver DoTs - although at a slower rate.
Forces in PSU are quite lucky when it comes to armor: even at low level there is excellent force armor with all the slots forces need (head, body, and extra). the most important slot is the head slot, of course. In this slot most forces choose a "quick"-type unit. This unit allows techs to start-up quickly.
Common techs: dambarta, nosdiga, diga, foie, gifoie, and megiverse

if you have sepecific questions feel free to PM me.

panzer_unit
Oct 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
Low ATP race/class combinations perform better using high-ATP weapons, since you add the same large chunk of power that a heavy hitter would get. Heavily power-based combinations pull ahead for damage when using attacks that just spam out a lot of hits.

spacergal
Oct 6, 2007, 07:01 PM
I get it. So for a Hunter, I guess I just still want to stick with the good ol' "pump-out-the-pain" method of play and swing away. Thanks for the detailed view of the metagame, SolomonGrundy. Look forward to figuring out the PA system.