PDA

View Full Version : Warning on PS3 40 GB version!!!!!!

buzyb77
Oct 6, 2007, 05:31 PM
There will be a New PS3 SKU this fall and it will not repeat WILL NOT be BC with Ps2 game this includes PSU. So if your friend get a 40GB PS3 this year inform them of this fact if they want to play.

BTw it has been confermed By SCEA Europe and Austrila just no work in USA nor Japan YET! but listen out for it next week.

lostinseganet
Oct 6, 2007, 05:49 PM
0-0 woa tank yer fir that bit o info matey

DavidNel
Oct 6, 2007, 05:56 PM
This is a really dumb move for Sony. The PS3 already sucks, why would they take away one of the only redeeming qualities of it?

FateOfTheArt
Oct 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
On 2007-10-06 15:56, DavidNel wrote:
This is a really dumb move for Sony. The PS3 already sucks, why would they take away one of the only redeeming qualities of it?

No kidding. Makes me glad I snagged a 60 gig when they dropped to $500. There's really no reasonable explanation as to why Sony would drop the software BC on the new 40 gig model.

buzyb77
Oct 6, 2007, 06:06 PM
http://news.google.com/news?q=PS3+40+Gb&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=news_result&resnum=1&ct=title

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/its-official-40.html

top story

Looks like it's Rumors Come True day. Sony Europe officially confirmed that the long-rumored low-end PlayStation 3 model will be released in EU territories on Wednesday, October 10.

The new model of PlayStation 3 will carry a lower-than-ever price tag of €400, but brings with it some caveats: backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 titles has been completely stripped away, the number of USB ports has been cut down to two, and the slots for Compact Flash, Memory Stick, and SD Cards have been removed.

The current models of PlayStation 3 will be reduced in price to €500, said Sony, but when they're gone, they're gone: the €400 model will be the one and only version of PlayStation 3 on the market in Europe once stocks of the old models are depleted.

The big questions, plus a pic of the rear end of the new PS3 model, below.

Will this game of hardware musical chairs finally come to an end with the introduction of this stripped-down, streamlined box? I certainly hope so. An announcement for the US is all but certain, but I'm curious as to whether it will replace the current 80 GB model with its limited back compat, or just sit alongside it.

And what of Japan, who still has the first two models of PlayStation 3 -- the 20 GB version with no wireless, and the unadulterated, no-features-stripped-out, 60 GB version that the US will soon lose? Will they have new hardware introduced there?

RedX
Oct 6, 2007, 06:07 PM
On 2007-10-06 15:31, buzyb77 wrote:
BTw it has been confermed By SCEA Europe and Austrila just no work in USA nor Japan YET! but listen out for it next week.

Reason being because only PAL(aka EU/Australia) are software emulated thus needing a list of supported games. The JP and US PS3's are hardware emulated meaning any PS2 game works and will always work.

Parn
Oct 6, 2007, 06:08 PM
Because they're desperately trying to get the PS3 to a competitive price point (if you can call 400 Euros a competitive price). I wouldn't put it past them to start shipping PS3s with no hard drive next... after all, there's not too many components left that they can rip out. Can't blame them for trying though. They're barely moving units in Japan, and they're being outsold by their competition in the US and Europe, which are the two most important markets in terms of making money from gaming. With Japanese developers starting to warm up to Microsoft's box due to the lure of western markets and the profits to be made there, Sony has to do something.

Helly
Oct 6, 2007, 06:12 PM
Europeans screwing themselves? This is an SCEE decision. Hopefully the other two branches won't follow suit!

ShinMaruku
Oct 6, 2007, 10:58 PM
On 2007-10-06 16:12, Helly wrote:
Europeans screwing themselves? This is an SCEE decision. Hopefully the other two branches won't follow suit!

Save it this lot wants Sony dead.
As for BC it's not selling point but a talking point. Sony has to work on communication. Hell Nintendo does it better and all they do is speak to people condescendingly.

Out_Kast
Oct 7, 2007, 05:06 AM
I've just got two questions on the subject:
a) Why does everyone say the PS3 sucks?
b) Which models are 'safe' to buy i.e. have BC and the extra USB slots?

RuneLateralus
Oct 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
On 2007-10-06 16:07, RedX wrote:

Reason being because only PAL(aka EU/Australia) are software emulated thus needing a list of supported games. The JP and US PS3's are hardware emulated meaning any PS2 game works and will always work.

The first round of PS3s had the emotion engine built in. However, the new 80GB models do not and use the software emulation.

It is very possible that the emulation might not be included in the US 40GB version if it comes to America. My thing is though, why isn't the emulation data stored on the Hard Drive (unless it is firmware)?

I don't know about BC for my decision to buy a PS3. The PS2 is really the only system I used to take advantage of BC before, but I never used the feature on the Wii and only used it for two games on the 360. Maybe it is not as important these days.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2007-10-07 08:58 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Oct 7, 2007, 11:02 AM
On 2007-10-07 03:06, Out_Kast wrote:
I've just got two questions on the subject:
a) Why does everyone say the PS3 sucks?
b) Which models are 'safe' to buy i.e. have BC and the extra USB slots?

A: Haters
B: 60gig,80gig and 180gig

Kylie
Oct 7, 2007, 11:27 AM
Hm... I didn't really plan on playing PS2 games on my PS2, but this certainly weighs in on my 360 VS PS3 mini-debate in my head.

ShinMaruku
Oct 7, 2007, 11:59 AM
Buy they 60gig then. Plus the US 40gig might not be the Europe 40gig. They are under different management.

McLaughlin
Oct 7, 2007, 01:40 PM
On 2007-10-06 20:58, ShinMaruku wrote:

As for BC it's not selling point but a talking point. Sony has to work on communication. Hell Nintendo does it better and all they do is speak to people condescendingly.

...What the fuck are you on about?

Sony already had Backwards Compatibility issues in the PAL market. To cut it out completely (and screw them over with a smaller Hard Drive) is a total cop-out, and basically a big "fuck you" to the Europeans.

But my opinion doesn't matter, because clearly, anyone who disagrees with Sony's absurd marketing tactics and poor management choices is a "hater". What other POSSIBLE reason could I have for not liking a console. Obviously, I can't have a personal preference.

Sami
Oct 7, 2007, 01:51 PM
Would be smarter to buy a ps2 for the older games anyway, because ps2 game on a ps3 look like psx games. Seriously retarted.

Parn
Oct 7, 2007, 02:21 PM
"It's always been an important strategy of Sony Computer Entertainment that we provide value to the consumers; and one of the values that we're providing is the backwards compatibility of the PlayStation 3, to play PlayStation 2 games that the gamers and consumers have bought over the years, as well as the original PlayStation titles that have been available in the market since 1995.

And I think that when we ask the consumers, or the gamers to make an investment in software, that it's our responsibility to make sure that the future consoles that we bring to market, including a PlayStation 3, is able to actually play all these titles that the consumers have really spent a lot of money in, and invested a lot of money into really a master library.

And I think you're doing the consumers and the gamers a huge disservice, when you come out with a new console only to say, it only plays PlayStation 3 games; and that's really counter-intuitive to our strategy, but also, really to the Sony DNA who're always trying to provide compelling consumer value in any of the products that we launch." - Kaz Hirai, Sony, 2006

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3." - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006

"Our thinking involves being able to bring the latest hardware specification of the PS3 to Europe, although that does mean an initial slight reduction in the number of PS2 components. But it's important to put that into context: there will still be thousands of PlayStation and PS2 titles playable on the PS3 at launch. It's very easy to over-react." - Phil Harrison, Sony, March 1st 2007

Sekani
Oct 7, 2007, 02:51 PM
Warned

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-10-07 17:57 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Oct 7, 2007, 03:07 PM
If they remove the bluray disk drive they might even be able to compete with the wii for pricing!

RedX
Oct 7, 2007, 03:15 PM
On 2007-10-07 08:55, RuneLateralus wrote:

On 2007-10-06 16:07, RedX wrote:

The first round of PS3s had the emotion engine built in. However, the new 80GB models do not and use the software emulation.

Really? i guess thats what i get for getting rid of my Gamespot RSS feeds http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Well, i guess this could turn out to bad news for the NA/JP players too then.

DizzyDi
Oct 7, 2007, 04:31 PM
There still are other PS3 models with BC yous guys.
And I agree with Shin, most of the people that post here seem to be anti-Sony for whatever reason.

Sgt_Shligger
Oct 7, 2007, 04:40 PM
On 2007-10-07 13:07, omegapirate2k wrote:
If they remove the bluray disk drive they might even be able to compete with the wii for pricing!

There's a problem with that. One of the factors that attracts *some* game makers is the fact it uses the Bluray drive. If they take that away, they lose even more developers.

Sekani
Oct 7, 2007, 05:23 PM
On 2007-10-07 14:31, DizzyDi wrote:
There still are other PS3 models with BC yous guys.

Those models are an endangered species (or they may already no longer be in production). That's pretty much what this thread is about. If I recall correctly, the so-called price drop from a few months ago was to clear out the PS3 versions with the Emotion Engine from store shelves and replace them with a new SKU that was going for software emulation.

And I agree with Shin, most of the people that post here seem to be anti-Sony for whatever reason.

Sony Computer Entertainment funds Al Qaeda. True story.

ShinMaruku
Oct 7, 2007, 05:38 PM
On 2007-10-07 11:40, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

Sony already had Backwards Compatibility issues in the PAL market. To cut it out completely (and screw them over with a smaller Hard Drive) is a total cop-out, and basically a big "fuck you" to the Europeans.

But my opinion doesn't matter, because clearly, anyone who disagrees with Sony's absurd marketing tactics and poor management choices is a "hater". What other POSSIBLE reason could I have for not liking a console. Obviously, I can't have a personal preference.

PAL BC trumps the 360's BC and I don't see people bitching about that. Face it Sony is easy target right now they had their heads up their asses and are now scrambling and coming correct on various issue but, Hey you lot hate em so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

McLaughlin
Oct 7, 2007, 05:54 PM
On 2007-10-07 15:38, ShinMaruku wrote:

On 2007-10-07 11:40, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

PAL BC trumps the 360's BC and I don't see people bitching about that. Face it Sony is easy target right now they had their heads up their asses and are now scrambling and coming correct on various issue but, Hey you lot hate em so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

...What? PAL PS3 Backwards Compatibility doesn't even work properly, and any of the cornucopia of 360 games worth playing are backwards compatible, and the list of games that are backwards compatible continues to grow.

And since it seems to get everyone else out of hot water when they argue with people, I may as well give it a shot; http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

ShinMaruku
Oct 7, 2007, 05:57 PM
I don't see that list growing that much. Show me how much the 360 BC is and then show me the percentages. The best BC is Nintendo fuck the other two.
You know the PAL region has more games than the US and 70% is an insane number.

I get it you hate Sony, no skin off my back.

McLaughlin
Oct 7, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'm not going to continue this argument, because someone else can take a turn talking to a wall, I'm far too lazy to prove my own point, and most importantly; you are definitely not worth the ban I'd earn myself should this stupidity continue.

But, out of curiosity, where in blue hell did you get PAL having more games than North America (please note that Canada doesn't just disappear), and that with the size of the Sony library, having 30% of it not be backwards compatible is unacceptable, especially when they swore up and down their entire library would be completely, 100% backwards compatible (if 70% is even a factual number, which I also doubt).

Good luck arguing with someone who goes to the effort of citing their sources, like Parn or Sinue. I'm done here.

ShinMaruku
Oct 7, 2007, 06:48 PM
You did not know that the PAL region acutally has more games than the US and Canada? O_O
You should know quite few games that don't hit the US goes there, the countless rugby games Onnechanbarra and others but look for your self:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games
They have more.
Just because a few don't make it here, look at the countless ones put out there and not here.

McLaughlin
Oct 7, 2007, 07:15 PM
I learn something every day.

ShinMaruku
Oct 7, 2007, 07:33 PM
That's the human experience.

Neith
Oct 7, 2007, 07:49 PM
They removed backwards-compatbility with PS2 altogether? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Oh man, whatever Sony are smoking, avoid it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Having no BC whatsoever is a stupid move, for a console that is still too far out of many people's price ranges. Even by reducing the price, they've just taken away even more from the console.

No thanks Sony, I'll keep my PS2 until I see any reason whatsoever to get a PS3. Sometimes I wish I bought an X360- the Wii barely has any titles, and the PS3 is nothing more than a joke.

Sorry, but Gran Turismo 5, and remakes of every PS game I've played are not enough reason to make me shell out that kind of cash.

*escapes wrath of drooling Sony fanboys*

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
On 2007-10-07 17:15, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
I learn something every day.

Lets try to learn to get along on the forums and not get into console debates too, this goes for everybody.

Locked, thread has run its course.