PDA

View Full Version : AotI: Thoughts on Wartecher after the AotI Timeshare

LTrav2k
Oct 6, 2007, 05:57 PM
Hey folks.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity at a sneak preview of the expansion. I played around with Menochi and Kitty earlier, and got to see a bit more of the combat system awaiting us. As for wartechers, I really think we're going to be just fine.

The rhythm for the just attacks is very familiar to anyone who played PSO. If you haven't played PSO before, go check it out and just press normal attack, heavy attack, heavy attack. The rhythm you'll hear is the same delay you'll need for the just attack (the sounds will be very familiar also). It shouldn't be difficult to hit consistently once we get a hold of it. Definitely a tool for us to improve damage in conjunction with the ability dodge attacks completely (thanks new hit boxes!!!).

Examples of Just Attack with twin daggers and saber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eloVblBtaB0)

Just counters are pretty easy to repeat as long as you're paying attention. You have a few frames to attack after the block which will activate the counter. Normal attacks of course are nearly guaranteed unless the blows are near simultaneous. PA skills, on the other hand, vary greatly. The recovery from the guard may compensation for the PA skill's start up at times, but there will be a few skills which excel in this position.

One I plan to explore further will be single dagger's Shunbu Shoren-zan.

Just Countering with Shunbu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6qyRe6q0Q)

With the PA clocking in at 212% ATP at level 1, it's definitely got enough punch behind it to commit mobs to the launch on a just counter. The hits are fast enough to where once it starts, they'll probably both be executed before you can be knocked out of it. It should net you at least one launch unless another hit was just flying in at nearly the same time.

Of course after launching with Shunbu, if you've got room then you'll be able to apply a just attack string to prep Spinning Strike for an enormous amount of damage (just remember you have to JA off of at least one normal attack!!). To guarantee critical damage off a skill like that, well I can't wait to be able to use it more often.

Our one deficit versus other fighter classes has always been ATA. Because of the assistance we'll be getting from our evasion, I think that Deband won't be something I'll be carrying around anymore. I've already gotten out of the practice on the original, but increasing the likelihood of my hits connecting as well as the chance of me evading an attack is definitely going to take presidence. This is going to introduce a ton of people to the combo of Zodial and Zoldeel. JUST COUNTERS A PLENTY I TELL YA!! =)

The characters were low level, so I didn't really get to go into the high end game... but as far as combat, I feel we're going to be very effective. These are a couple of things I picked up on while playing and I'm sure others will have thoughts to add to this.

Buffs I'm going to be currently carrying around for myself... retier, zodial, shifta... debuffs will be zalure and zoldeel which should make sure that I don't have a problem connecting for damage (along with meeting the damage threshold to launch/wipeout/knockback/etc.) I'm definitely looking forward to others thoughts about wartecher.

Dhylec
Oct 6, 2007, 11:54 PM
Interesting. I like playing as hybrids, so WT is one that I've been using. I'm looking forward to see how this class turns out in v2.

Though from what I've seen & heard, it's only getting better. ;]

beatrixkiddo
Oct 7, 2007, 12:44 AM
I still find Evasion more of a hurdle than help. I prefer to go on the aggressive with Just Attack and strong PAs such as Majarra.

SolomonGrundy
Oct 7, 2007, 12:39 PM
I still don't understand how 'just counter' works. Can someon explain this?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 7, 2007, 12:43 PM
On 2007-10-07 10:39, SolomonGrundy wrote:
I still don't understand how 'just counter' works. Can someon explain this?

When you block (i.e. with EVP; when the little blocking animation starts), press the attack/PA button at the correct time to cancel the blocking into either an attack or a PA. Either way, all the hits are criticals, if you timed it right.

LTrav2k
Oct 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
On 2007-10-06 22:44, beatrixkiddo wrote:
I still find Evasion more of a hurdle than help. I prefer to go on the aggressive with Just Attack and strong PAs such as Majarra.

With the evasion of wartechers and other acro classes, in melee the issue with using a just attack Dus Majarra... there is a high probability that you will block something mid way through the execution.

I still plan to use Dus Majarra and Spinning Strike, but only when I'm behind monsters. The actual sidestep has been beefed up so unless it is a circular attack, you can avoid it outright.

In close combat when I'm facing monsters though, short and sweet PAs are going to greatly benefit us through Just Counters since the hits will be critical (and generally launch, wipeout, what have you)... and that effect will definitely set up time to start a just attack string into a guaranteed critical PA skill via the just attack system. It's going to make it an even larger strategy on a melee fighter's weapon choice.

You'll notice on the vid Solomon that the reaction button press for the Just Counter is pretty immediate. The game gives you the sound that we remember as the Strong Attack in PSO, and highlights the button on screen much larger than it does a normally. It also, of course... negates the rest of your recovery and starts the normal attack or PA skill.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LTrav2k on 2007-10-07 20:11 ]</font>