PDA

View Full Version : Signature Follies

F-Gattaca
Oct 10, 2007, 02:54 PM
Alright, I don't mean to cause a huge fuss over this, but considering I put a lot of time and effort into my signature, and was also careful to follow the rules on limitations for them, I'm a little miffed.

I've been using a flash movie for my signature since March. I had assumed that the mods looked at it already and deemed it valid. However, nearly a week ago, soon after Remedy accused me of violating the rules for signatures (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=155458&forum=9&start=0&95#40), a moderator removed my signature saying that was too big. "Images in signatures cannot exceed 35000 bytes. The image in your signature was 710042 bytes."

One problem with that ... My flash signature is actually 33680 bytes, and well within the 35000 hard deck. It is well within the specified dimensions for a flash movie and it does not load any external flash movies.

http://www.adultimum.net/studio/images/wtfmods.png

Here's the proof, as reported by my web server's Apache system and my Windows XP client. I also have verification: I talked to one of the other mods, Skuda, about this. He asked to take a look at my sig and I showed it to him; his response said that it appeared to be under the 35000-byte size limit. He was going to talk to the rest of you about it, and I was going to wait to hear back from him as far as the verdict goes (and it's been a few days hence), but after I did some checking on my web server's file system I found something that I wanted to bring forward.

I think the mod who removed my sig mistook it for an img tag.

See, in some of the posts here on PSOW, I've been using this image (http://www.adultimum.net/studio/images/goafterhim.gif) in the same way that Parn is known for his "Michael Jackson eating popcorn" gif. I was checking to see if any images I had matched the 710042-byte size that the mod claimed my signature was, and found that this image matches that file size exactly.

However, this animated gif was never a part of my signature. The only thing my signature comprised of was, again, the flash movie.

Given this, I'd like to restore my sig. However, I wanted to bring it to public attention before all the mods--since I don't know which one confiscated my sig in the first place--and get assent before doing that.

Ryna
Oct 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
If the image was at the end of a post, it could have easily been mistaken for an oversized image signature. Something that large typically gets removed very fast. Such images are also discouraged since they will take a very long time to load for dialup users.

Anyways, it is fine to add the flash to your signature again.

F-Gattaca
Oct 10, 2007, 10:14 PM
On 2007-10-10 17:14, Ryna wrote:
Such images are also discouraged since they will take a very long time to load for dialup users.

Anyways, it is fine to add the flash to your signature again.

Alright. Thank you so much for hearing me out!

I'll be more careful with using the "DO WANT" image macro, too.