PDA

View Full Version : Fortegunner to Fighgunner

ShynForce
Oct 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hey sup everyone just gonna give you a little bit of my backstory. I've been playing this game since it came out my first character was my M cast who later became a fighgunner. I tried a fortetecher and a wartecher who are both in the 40s but i like my fighgunner more. At lv75 i finally tried out fortegunner and fell in love with it. I always planned on going back to my fighgunner when the expansion come out.

My problem is balancing out melee and gun skills. I know that in the expansion i can get my disc back but im trying to figure out how to work with it. What im trying to figure out is should i just go all fighgunner or all fortegunner i dont want to waste time lving rifle bullets if im gonna just play my fighgunner. I've been lving xbow bullets cus thats what i plan on using with my fighgunner.

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 07:06 AM
As far as choosing classes. One is just as good as another. Just choose the one that you like more. If you really like mixing melee and ranged, go with FG. fG will have some nice melee options in AoI, but nothing compared to FG. If you are a native FG, switching to fG will also be a lot of work. There are several weapons types you'll have to pick up if you haven't already (Lasers, Grenades, Shotguns...)

Pillan
Oct 11, 2007, 08:09 AM
As far as what a good Fortegunner needs, you only have to have all 6 elements in a high damage/time weapon (shotgun, crossbow, or machinegun), a first person weapon (twin handgun, rifle, handgun, or laser cannon), a grenade bullet (burn, infection, confusion, or berserk), and burn 4 (burning shot). As a Fighgunner, you’re really only going to use 2 or 3 skills (a juggler, a high damage, and an AoE) and can easily overlap the high damage/time and first person bullets. You could easily make a PA distribution that would allow you to do both well as everything I’ve mentioned only takes up 20-30 slots.

panzer_unit
Oct 11, 2007, 09:21 AM
Change jobs depending on what the team needs. Concentrate skills on weapons that work well on both classes ... and then choose some powerful skills for exclusive weapon classes that will give Fortegunner and Fighgunner distinctive roles.

Here's the exact set I would get:
Handgun (all 6)
Mechgun (all 6 + mayalee)
... lots of people would go Twin Handgun & XBow
Saber (Rising, Spinning)
Dagger (Bootin', Shunbu)
Spear (Daggas, Robado, Majarra) = 20 in common

Killer Shot, Boma Banga, Boma Duranga, Phantasm Prism = 4 Fortegunner
Tornado & Gravity Break, Rising & Assault Crush, Moubu, Bukuu & Renzan, all Double Saber = 10 Fighgunner

34 PA's total

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2007-10-11 07:31 ]</font>

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
Yea...I'm not sure why you would pick Machineguns over Xbows and Twin Handguns. Machineguns are pretty much the worst of both worlds.

panzer_unit
Oct 11, 2007, 09:58 AM
I tend to go straight for melee PA's against anything close enough to triple-hit with crossbow... even more so now that Spinning Strike is up, and even more than that in AOI with Just Attack and per-hit PP regen. Handgun and Mechgun are more effective for SE and DPS at proper shooting range.

EDIT: being unable to decide between Fighgunner's melee skills and Fortegunner's selection of kickass guns was the reason I ended up going with Protranser. Damn the stats, I need to have high PA levels with the option for lasers and grenades.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2007-10-11 08:00 ]</font>

Pillan
Oct 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
It's higher damage and accuracy at the cost of SE, range, first person, and horrible PP drain. If you're an FG, that's a very good trade off. As a fG or GT, not so much.

amtalx
Oct 11, 2007, 10:17 AM
Yea, good point. Sometimes I have difficulty looking at things from anything other than a fG perspective. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

panzer_unit
Oct 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
On 2007-10-11 08:01, Pillan wrote:
It's higher damage and accuracy at the cost of SE, range, first person, and horrible PP drain. If you're an FG, that's a very good trade off. As a fG or GT, not so much.

... handgun has same SE as crossbow, and same range as twin. That leaves PP drain which may or may not be a problem since I'm going out of my way to use melee more frequently.

Where I'm probably losing out is raw damage output, by forcing PA spam instead of point blank crossbow. The balance may change there in AOI however.

Pillan
Oct 11, 2007, 10:47 AM
On 2007-10-11 08:37, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2007-10-11 08:01, Pillan wrote:

... handgun has same SE as crossbow, and same range as twin. That leaves PP drain which may or may not be a problem since I'm going out of my way to use melee more frequently.

Where I'm probably losing out is raw damage output, by forcing PA spam instead of point blank crossbow. The balance may change there in AOI however.

I was talking about a machinegun (the first person comment and PP drain should be give aways). But, yeah, if you’re further from the enemy, it’s obvious a handgun would deal more SE and more damage to a single enemy than a crossbow would (if there are 3 enemies, the crossbow bullets auto-target the 3 to some degree, killing the handgun damage and SE all around). Personally, I’d just run up close and point blank with a crossbow when necessary, and then go back to PA spam with my melee weapon. I can pull it off with GT, so it will be easy with the higher DFP and HP and insignificantly less EVP of FG.

Machineguns are usually higher damage/time than crossbows (mainly due to the accuracy mod differences) and they have pretty much the same range as crossbows (much better range if you’re comparing it to point-blanking). Depending on the enemy, the 3-4 mech bullets you get in the same time as a crossbow bullet could be a better SE landing rate if the enemy is too far to point blank, but burn and freeze suck at SE 1 and casters have higher STA. FG doesn’t care so much about SEs, so that’s why I’d argue mechs are a good trade off.

ShynForce
Oct 11, 2007, 06:29 PM
Cool thanks for all the feedback, yea with my melee skills i have all 3 dbl sabers skills above 28 all 3 twin dagger skills the same lv 2 single dagger skills buten and hikai and spinning strike.

As for my gun skills i have frozen rising dark killer shot my frozen shot is above 21 burn is above 11 and the others i didnt quite work on yet. I have a ice/earth shotty above lv21 light shotty only lv4 atm. I like xbows and i think they will be great in the expansion with fighgunner i have Inga lv21 banga megiga lv15 and maga to debuff. Out of my twins i have freeze dark burn rising and mayalee freeze/dark are 21 the others are close to 21. Like i said before i like both classes but its kinda hard to keep up on good equipment for both. Im also considering a GT with that i would only buy the support spells resta reverser shifta deband and zodial.

panzer_unit
Oct 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
No grenades? No lasers? Might as well go Fighgunner if you're not using that stuff.

ShynForce
Oct 13, 2007, 03:01 AM
Actually i do use grenades only for bosses though forgot to mention that, and lasers i only have frozen prism but i didnt lv it much.