PDA

View Full Version : "The Orange Box"

Dre_o
Oct 10, 2007, 10:10 PM
I was curious about what this conglomeration of games would have to offer. And I'm fairly impressed so far.

Portals
-1st thing I will mention is that I was able to beat the main "story line" (if you can call it that) of the game in under 3 hours. Albeit, I am a "super puzzle" dude, but that's beside the point. It's kind of short, but still challenging and fun.

Next, I'm impressed with the game physics. I mean, for being able to create 2 way space rifts, they REALLY did a good job. Though your character doesn't suffer damage from falls, they ACTUALLY GAVE A REASON IN THIS GAME (glares at halo 2-3), your character has a form of external prosthesis, pretty much an extra pair of impact springs that hook onto your legs and the springs take the brunt of the fall.

Overall, very happy with it. I loved it and can't wait to play the "Advanced Levels." Also, pay attention to the "Overseer" and what she says. It can get REALLY funny.

"Well done android. And remember, there IS a robot hell and you WILL go there at the first sign of disobedience."

Team Fortress 2:
Well...didn't play much at all. It's an online only, multiplayer game. Now, I CAN see it having some pretty good gameplay, but I can't really pass judgement, due to me not having XBox LIVE (used to on Old XBox.)

Half Life 2
Haven't played it at all yet.

KodiaX987
Oct 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
For those who were holding out on Orange Box, I just found out that if you already have HL2 and/or Episode One, they'll still be included in the package, and you can give them away to a friend. So at least it's not like you technically "got less" because you already had some of the package.

VioletSkye
Oct 10, 2007, 10:41 PM
The cake is a lie http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Yeah I beat Portal quickly too, under 3 hours as well. Loved it though, haven't tried advanced levels yet.

BTW, I'm still alive Aperture http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'm going to go through Ep2 next.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2007-10-10 20:43 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Oct 10, 2007, 10:41 PM
I've been listening to the Portal credits song on repeat for about an hour now.
DELICIOUS CAKE!

Dre_o
Oct 10, 2007, 11:12 PM
On 2007-10-10 20:41, DizzyDi wrote:
I've been listening to the Portal credits song on repeat for about an hour now.
DELICIOUS CAKE!

Oh hells yes, that song was AWESOME. And I like the idea of Portals 2.

EDIT: I'm still laughing about the "Overseer's" lines: "Contact with the energy orb may cause debilitations including: vaporization."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dre_o on 2007-10-10 21:14 ]</font>

Sexy_Raine
Oct 11, 2007, 12:05 PM
I want this so badly, but I'm saving it for buying on a console system. So it might be awhile before I get to play it. :

Oh, and gravity gun is sexy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
I'm also waiting for a console version. After seeing Half Life 1 on the PS2, I'm very confident they'll do this right.

AC9breaker
Oct 11, 2007, 02:13 PM
Portals was freaking SWEET! Even though short, i totally loved the mind games. Also I <3 Cube and I love seeing the wall scribbles with the I heart Cube and the pictures replaced with cube on the faces, haha.

Atayin
Oct 11, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'm not buying this game because I heard that there isn't actually any Cake in Portal. So, the whole time, you're basicly working towards nothing. I want my freaking cake thank you very much.

KodiaX987
Oct 11, 2007, 03:50 PM
On 2007-10-11 12:43, Atayin wrote:
I'm not buying this game because I heard that there isn't actually any Cake in Portal. So, the whole time, you're basicly working towards nothing. I want my freaking cake thank you very much.

I see what you did there.

Blitzkommando
Oct 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
I played through Ep2 yesterday and was blown away. I don't usually call a game awesome, but that game was freaking awesome. It really brought the series forward and now I'm anxiously awaiting Ep3, probably some time late next year or early 2009 the way things have been going.

Portal I played to the 17th area. Thus far I've really enjoyed it. The computer is quite blunt and funny, almost like I would expect from a malfunctioning AI system. Also: Fratricide, that is all.

Scrub
Oct 11, 2007, 07:01 PM
WHY ARENT YOU GUYS PLAYING TEAM FORTRESS 2.

I COULD BE DOING HOMEWORK OR STUDYING FOR MID-TERMS BUT THIS FUCKING GAME WON'T LET ME. HOLY SHIT IT'S AWESOME.

KodiaX987
Oct 11, 2007, 10:20 PM
On 2007-10-11 17:01, Scrub wrote:

Still downloading that shit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I assume your Steam name is Scrub?

Blitzkommando
Oct 11, 2007, 10:41 PM
Well, damn, Portal was a hell of a lot of fun too. The Orange Box has turned out to be the best $50 I've spent in a long time, although I had a feeling that would be the case. I'm glad to see Valve adding more comedy to the games as that can really help losen the tension and make some very memorable scenes. (And in the case of Portal, songs)

Scrub
Oct 12, 2007, 01:47 AM
On 2007-10-11 20:20, KodiaX987 wrote:

On 2007-10-11 17:01, Scrub wrote:

Still downloading that shit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I assume your Steam name is Scrub?

DekusScrub Actually, haha.

Oh man, I dont get to be spy often, what with 4 or 5 people per team wanting to be them, but when I do, I clean house. Just got 40 backstabs in one round. Turn into a sniper, act like you're shooting at your teammates. When your allies finally get pushed back, follow all of the opposing team up, and while they've all got their backs turned...you've got like at LEAST 3 or 4 kills right there. Cloak out, throw on Disguise, and run back to do it again. Hehehe.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly play medic, but it's nice to go out and kill people every once in a while.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scrub on 2007-10-12 00:06 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Oct 12, 2007, 01:58 AM
I don't play team fortress, but my roommate does, quite a bit
he's <FOH> Vehn, idk if any of you have played against him

THE JACKEL

Atayin
Oct 12, 2007, 07:24 AM
I keep hearing about this Portal credits theme. I need to youtube it or something, it must be good.

Otis_Kat
Oct 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
You can listen to it on this very(read: VERY) shitty ytmnd I made yesterday for the time being.

http://www.portalcake.ytmnd.com

On 2007-10-11 12:43, Atayin wrote:

Lies, the cake is great, so delicious and moist!

Otis Da HousKat (try it with no spaces too)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otis_Kat on 2007-10-12 13:58 ]</font>

Link00seven
Oct 12, 2007, 10:58 PM
I picked it up on the 360 and I like it so far. Worthy purchase since my PC sucks and I never got a chance to play through Half Life 2.

Zeota
Oct 13, 2007, 02:27 PM
Portal was a stroke of pure genius. The only real downside to it was its length.

Saner
Oct 13, 2007, 11:03 PM
ya I'm amazed they put so many games in there, but what are they gonna do about Episode 3? it should come to 360 also.

Blitzkommando
Oct 14, 2007, 02:03 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Episode 3 to release with another Portal (or Portal-sized) game or two.

Broodstar1337
Oct 14, 2007, 11:49 PM
Play Team Fortress 2. Do it.