PDA

View Full Version : Most viable melee force?

EricZ
Oct 12, 2007, 09:51 PM
hello all! I've been wanting to make a fun melee force that would be viable through ultimate.

I'm debating whether to use fomar/fomarl and what type of weapons/mags to use?

thanks a lot

EricZ
Oct 12, 2007, 09:58 PM
also unsure of the section id, should i use pinkal?

lee-san
Oct 12, 2007, 11:16 PM
it would be a good idea to use a fomar. they have good atp for a force but it sucks because their accuracy is so low. and yes it is a good idea to use pinkal cause your a force and you need force type weapons for techniques, and at the same time your atp grows at a rate that it won't take so long to use good melee weapons like the soul eater. you should have three mags- one balanced, one for straight atp, and one for straight mind but be sure to keep up your accuracy. you still have to hit things.

Nyreal
Oct 12, 2007, 11:27 PM
Balanced mags are useless. I suggest a Pure MIND mag, and a 5/75/120 mag. As you level, feel free to lower the amount of DEX. But FOmar's are THE blindest characters in the game. You need as much ATA as possible.

And at level 200 with max stats, it turns out that FOnewms are better melee forces... But FOmars are better at it for much longer. Enjoy the dress!

lee-san
Oct 12, 2007, 11:34 PM
i meant balanced until you get your special mag for that mag then you excel in what's needed. i only do that with one mag

Splash
Oct 13, 2007, 01:58 AM
On 2007-10-12 21:34, lee-san wrote:
i meant balanced until you get your special mag for that mag then you excel in what's needed. i only do that with one mag

Which is why it fails. A 25/25/25/25 mag won't help as much as a 10/50/40/0 mag so why waste your time with a mag which won't do you any good?

Simply put, no matter which Force you are going to use, a melee one will always have SUPER high DEX on it. A casting one would have a pure MIND mag. That is as efficient as it can get. Forces were not fitted to battle with weapons at the start, but it will change as you get to higher levels.

Nyreal
Oct 13, 2007, 02:17 AM
Seconded. Really, it's best to stick with the extreme mags, and then make a final one to max your stats.

Split
Oct 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
On 2007-10-12 21:27, Nyreal wrote:
Balanced mags are useless. I suggest a Pure MIND mag, and a 5/75/120 mag. As you level, feel free to lower the amount of DEX. But FOmar's are THE blindest characters in the game. You need as much ATA as possible.

And at level 200 with max stats, it turns out that FOnewms are better melee forces... But FOmars are better at it for much longer. Enjoy the dress!

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree.
FOnewm
max atp:813
max ata:180
FOmar
max atp:1002
max ata:163

I think the 17 ata points the FOnewm has over the FOmar are negated by the 189 atp points the FOmar has over the FOnewm. And though I agree that balanced Mags are only good for maxing out when you're already at lv 200(which many people don't even care enough to reach), I think maybe a melee force might want to use a melee mag, something with a good amount of DEX and ATK, then keep a purely MIND mag on call just in case the going gets a little too tough and you need to break out the techs. Just hunt accurate weapons with good hit%...

EDIT: also, be pinkal, and have a different character look for good melee weapons for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Split on 2007-10-13 08:40 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Oct 13, 2007, 03:49 PM
FOmar's are the most suitable. They can use more melee weapons than the Forces, and have higher ATP as well. DO NOT do a balanced mag. It's a waste of time, do one or the other, force based or hunter based mags, but do not mix it. Find weapons with high hit %, the ATA of the FOmar is a severe drawback.

To start off, go with the Soul Eater and work your way to other weapons from there (like the Grass Assassin Sabers). Charge Mechgun types with 50% hit seem to do pretty damn good as well.

Splash
Oct 13, 2007, 08:19 PM
On 2007-10-13 08:38, Split wrote:

On 2007-10-12 21:27, Nyreal wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree.
FOnewm
max atp:813
max ata:180
FOmar
max atp:1002
max ata:163

I think the 17 ata points the FOnewm has over the FOmar are negated by the 189 atp points the FOmar has over the FOnewm. And though I agree that balanced Mags are only good for maxing out when you're already at lv 200(which many people don't even care enough to reach), I think maybe a melee force might want to use a melee mag, something with a good amount of DEX and ATK, then keep a purely MIND mag on call just in case the going gets a little too tough and you need to break out the techs. Just hunt accurate weapons with good hit%...

EDIT: also, be pinkal, and have a different character look for good melee weapons for you.

Split is right. Potentially, FOnewn has no combat abilities until a much higher level where it will surpass FOmar's ATA. And this doesn't happen until around LV170's or so (estimated guess), a time where you might selectively not use the character as much as among like some people. However, FOnewn's opportunity to kill everything with just a couple of Gi and Ra techs surpasses by far FOmar's ability to cast techniques.

AlexCraig
Oct 13, 2007, 08:27 PM
Actually, Pinkals find more wands than rods. I would suggest Bluefull for melee force weapons (rods).
As for a mag, eh, go with what you think you'll need more. Because if you are a melee force, ATP is not the only thing you may need. As a force, you will gain enough MST/TP as it is. But rushing into battle with a pure ATP mag is unwise. Be sure to add some defense for when you get hit. And don't forget that ATP is useless if you cannot hit, so ATA should get some umph to it.

Ithildin
Oct 13, 2007, 08:50 PM
Mechs all the way! I've seen countless FOmars use them effectively. And in all honesty it is a pleasure to see them in action! Unequip your weapon and the FOmar can cast spells quicker than you ever dreamed! Great fun! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Scales_of_Air
Oct 15, 2007, 04:57 PM
Melee FOmar is fantastic. I have seen some amazing players online with melee FOs. High hit% Vulcans and Bringer's Rifle, high hit% Rainbow Baton, Soul Banish or S-Rank Scythe, S-Rank Twin, and Red Saber are the staples of a melee FOmar arsenal. Have fun hunting all those XD

cashizslick
Oct 16, 2007, 01:56 PM
My melee fomar:

Bringers rifle
Double Saber
Soul Banish
Charge Diska/Rainbow Baton

Hes ok i guess - more into using my humar.

EphekZ
Oct 22, 2007, 05:58 PM
Make a redria Fomar. You can find many good weapons, shields, armors, and units such as god/battle very easily. don't do pinkal or bluefull, trust me they suck.

kizu
Oct 22, 2007, 07:08 PM
i agree redria is good. Although i have a FOmarl redria instead of a FOmar (support) she finds great weapons for herself and for my other chars. You might want to consider pinkal though for the magic based items drops but since your melee, it won't really help

SolomonGrundy
Oct 27, 2007, 11:59 AM
FOmars are by far superior, as a result of weapons with high hit.

As for Mag, you should have a much ATP/MST as possible - these give you the best RoI. For units, you can always use a god / hit (15 ATA) that might sound small, but it represents 30 DEX on your mag.

you will need several MAGs over your fomars life tough, and at low levels a MAG with hit i usefull. I still used one with 50 DEX. Then again I had all the mats in the world to play with.