PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Genoa
Oct 16, 2007, 06:05 PM
So... I went out and re-bought a PSP for this sucker, FFT was probably the BEST Final Fantasy I have every played, in fact, I only liked 8 and Tactics. It's been re-done quite well too. 2 Player Co-op and head-to-head? Hell yeah buddy!

EDIT: Did I mention Cut-scenes and character speech? =D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-10-16 16:12 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Oct 16, 2007, 06:11 PM
I like it. The retranslation is great and really makes the story shine. In the original version I had no idea what was going on, now I'm all into it. The only gripe I have is the fuckin slow down. I can't even use a simple skill like stone without slowdown.

Genoa
Oct 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
yeah the sound always beats my special moves' animations =/
I also agree with the re-translation, because I had to play that game like 5, 6 times on PS1 in order to learn the whole story.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-10-16 16:15 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Oct 16, 2007, 07:14 PM
I hate it when I have to dismiss chocobos, they always give you some message that makes you ;_; when you try to dismiss them.

AlexCraig
Oct 16, 2007, 07:25 PM
My brother has it for PSone. I like watching it, but for some reason, I have always been hesitant about playing games he has. But I love the story for FFT. The add-ons PSP gave it sound cool http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DizzyDi
Oct 16, 2007, 09:31 PM
It does have a bit of a learning curve. This is like my 3rd time playing it, and this is the longest I've stuck with it because now I'm finally starting to understand all the little variables and whatnot.

AlexCraig
Oct 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
When my brother plays, he frequently asks if I'd like to be in his party.
Dragoon/Knight
Knight/White Mage
Dragoon/Summoner
(and one time) Dragoon/Knight/White Mage/Black Mage/Calculator/Time Mage

Genoa
Oct 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
Squire on Ramza, professional YELL abuser D;

DizzyDi
Oct 16, 2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah Ramza is a super Squire.
Better yet. make him a monk equipped with the Knight's Equip Heavy Armor skill and you have a uber character.

Genoa
Oct 16, 2007, 10:32 PM
heh, yeah I usually had Ramza as a monk with Squire abilities as second. Yelling and Chakra then punching really hard D;

AlexCraig
Oct 16, 2007, 10:37 PM
Question: In the PSP version, did they rename the Lucavi by their correct names? (i.e. Queklain -> Cuchuulain, Velius -> Belias)

Kimil
Oct 16, 2007, 10:45 PM
I always used ramza as a Monk With Equip Amour and the Squire abilities =/
He kicks ass that way! try it!

Genoa
Oct 16, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'm not far enough to tell yet =/
EDIT: To AlexCraig (got beat to the next post)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-10-16 20:49 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Oct 16, 2007, 10:50 PM
Ah. Because I read on a FF site that the Tactics names were misspelled. They fixed them in 12, but I was just curious about the PSP version.

DizzyDi
Oct 16, 2007, 10:52 PM
On 2007-10-16 20:37, AlexCraig wrote:
Question: In the PSP version, did they rename the Lucavi by their correct names? (i.e. Queklain -> Cuchuulain, Velius -> Belias)

So far I know that they changed Queklain to Cuchuulain so its reasonable to assume the others are changed as well.

AlexCraig
Oct 16, 2007, 10:52 PM
Sweet!

Genoa
Oct 16, 2007, 10:53 PM
I've noticed a lot of names being changed (NPC-wise) they renamed a LOT of the skills and spells.
Like, remember Bolt 1, 2 ,3 & 4? Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga, Thundaja.
Raise 2 is Arise
Brawler: Deliver more powerful unarmed attacks, even if not a monk!

so on and so forth =D

Dragwind
Oct 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
Woo, Dragoons and lances http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

AlexCraig
Oct 16, 2007, 10:56 PM
I don't like how they changed them to -ra, -ga, and -ja. It was easier to remember 1, 2, 3, 4.

DizzyDi
Oct 16, 2007, 11:00 PM
I think they did it that way to make everything uniform from FFXII and onward. I believe SE is trying to make the Ivalice games into a franchise, at least I hope they are. The Ivalice games are some of my favorite SE games.
Heres to hoping they decide to translate FFXII: International, even tho there is a very slim chance.

AlexCraig
Oct 16, 2007, 11:02 PM
12 was good. I don't play FFT, as I said, I watch my brother play and follow the story as he plays. I have to say, it is up there for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

UnderscoreX
Oct 17, 2007, 12:21 AM
Balthier is way overpowered if he gets the right equipment, the final time you fight Balk I remember it taking like an hour or something on the PSX, but with Balthier's Barage he died in one turn.

The game could've much better if you played a lot more from Delita's point of view, he was a lot more interesting than Ramza IMO.

Powder Keg
Oct 17, 2007, 12:38 AM
The only complaint I have about this is the slowdown for moves...they were impatient when porting this obviously.

Nonetheless, this is awesome. Some of the new names and script crack me up...I think it's overdone a little and things still look incorrect and silly.

I have 45 hours already into the game and I just started ch.3 (unlocked the Dark Knight class for Ramza). Do I have a problem?

Genoa
Oct 17, 2007, 12:43 AM
am I the only one who doesn't believe the %'s of success on certain attacks/support skills? Because half the time, I'll have like a 75+% success rate... but it sure doesn't seem like it >_> and the enemies will have like... a 40% chance of doing something, and it works constantly <___< I call bs

Powder Keg
Oct 17, 2007, 12:49 AM
Oh, I'm with you on that. Just yesterday I failed an 80, 85, and another 85% chance in a ROW with the same character. Sometimes the game likes to secretly cheat. I know it's not 100% or 0%, but sometimes it can seem that way.

Twice before in the PSX version I missed a 100% chance.

SubstanceD
Oct 17, 2007, 05:24 AM
Overall I'm very impressed with the game although I'm not sure whether I prefer the "new" ye olde english translation to what we had in the PS1 version, somtimes it just feels to forced.

I also seem to be having a bit more trouble progressing throught the PSP version then the PS1 version. Is it more difficult then the PS1 version or am I just out of practice ( I don't play strategy games often, the last one I palyed was FFTAdvance which I lost interest in after 5 hours ).

Genoa
Oct 17, 2007, 11:24 AM
My advise? Don't EVER put EXP Boost on already high-lvl. characters and ESPECIALLY Ramza. Enemies lvl. is based off your party's. JP Boost on the other hand, that's always nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
EXP Boost should only be used for leveling the low.

I once had a very hard time once on one of my PS1 files due to having too many ranging lvl'd characters =/

Genoa
Oct 17, 2007, 11:33 PM
Wow....
SPOILER ALERT!*
Dark Knight (being one of the new jobs available) has a huge requirement. Master Knight, Master Wizard, lvl.8 Dragoon, lvl.8 Samurai, lvl.8 Ninja, lvl.8 Geomancer, and collect 20 Crystals with that character. Where as Onion Knight, only requires lvl.6 Squire & lvl.6 Chemist (cannot use or learn abilities, but can use ANY equipment, even gender-specific equipment, gains a boost in statistics when mastered)
That's crazy D;
EDIT: Found out more xD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-10-17 21:41 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Oct 17, 2007, 11:40 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif For some reason, I think Onion Knight/Kid is more worth it.

DizzyDi
Oct 18, 2007, 07:13 AM
Onion Knight has no skills and gains 1 job level for every two jobs you've mastered except for Squire and Chemist, but it does have some of the best exclusive equipment.
I'd say Dark Knight is more worth it.

Genoa
Oct 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
I just got that new slim PSP (the starwars battlefront bundle) Has 65mb of RAM instead of the 32mb of the original, Slow-down isn't AS bad now. You can definately tell the difference, but nonetheless, it still lags a bit =/