PDA

View Full Version : PS3 gets a little cheaper.

Eclipse_Zero
Oct 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071018/ap_on_hi_te/sony_playstation;_ylt=An0i8dLwXIAaWWboYWaHRfcK77EF
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071018/tc_nm/sony_playstation3_dc;_ylt=ArqeE.bGS7F.BGjCJ_MKcxIK 77EF
Sony is making a new PS3 that is a little cheaper, but are taking out the capabilities to play PS2 games. Those of you who don't already have a PS3 will have to be weary of when and which model you get if you still want to play PSU or your other games(Assuming you had a PS2).

Sinue_v2
Oct 18, 2007, 05:01 PM
They're not even going to try to keep up with software emulation?

Meh... I didn't have much of a reason to look forward to the PS3, and despite the price cut, this move doesn't encourage me to pick one up anytime soon. Not having PS2 backwards compatibility is another nail in the coffin. Especially since I still play PS2 games. Hell, I still play old EGA/CGA games for the PC. The 80Gig model is still a bit too pricey for me to even consider at this point. When it drops to $400, then I'll consider it.

amtalx
Oct 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
Give me a $400 80gb model, FULL backwards compatibility, and list of games that doesn't suck like a black hole and you might find me way towards the back of the line somewhere.

trypticon
Oct 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
On 2007-10-18 16:50, amtalx wrote:
Give me a $400 80gb model, FULL backwards compatibility, and list of games that doesn't suck like a black hole and you might find me way towards the back of the line somewhere.

I agree with what is said here, but you won't find me in line for one.

DonRoyale
Oct 18, 2007, 07:20 PM
I lol'ed to say the least.

OBESSSSSSSED >.>

McLaughlin
Oct 18, 2007, 07:58 PM
I thought the 40gb was going to be a European -only thing, seeing as they aren't getting an 80gb model. Which means once their 60gb models are gone, no Backwards Compatibility for them. >_>

Wow.

EDIT: I really wish they'd stop playing Musical Chairs with their hardware revisions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-10-18 17:58 ]</font>

mizukage
Oct 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
On 2007-10-18 16:50, amtalx wrote:

No way!? If I had knew about this a few hours earlier, I wouldn't had bought a Xbox. On the other hand, the only ps3 game I like would be the unreleased ones that are still in the development stages. By the time, those games are released near 2009, I am sure the ps3 would be cheaper. I will buy it then.

HUnewearl_Meira
Oct 18, 2007, 09:36 PM
This is actually a strong indication that Sony is really struggling to pull the PS3 up. Something that can really be said about them though, is that they seriously aren't giving up as easily as Atari did with the Jaguar, or Sega did with the 32x and Sega CD.

For what it's worth, Amtalx, we probably won't see a reasonably priced PS3 until Sony has finally tossed in the towel, and stores are just trying to clear out their inventory. On the other hand, the way things look, that might not be too long.

Randomness
Oct 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
YAY! DEATH TO SONY! DEATH TO THE PS3! (This way, the main line FF games might go back to systems I can afford)

Nidarrock
Oct 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
While the 40 gig version is going to just further customer confusion, especially going into the holiday season, the price cut on the 80 gig is a smart move. They have got to try something to help move units here.

Sekani
Oct 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
They're trying to move units by giving us inferior hardware under the guise of a price cut.

Backwards compatibility for me is a major selling point considering the strength of the PS2's library, but it still needs to drop to $400 to be worth the purchase.

ShinMaruku
Oct 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
BC ain't as big an issue to gamers but neither is Sony's thoughts on it exactly accurate. Both parties have assigned a wrong value to it.
That said if anybody bout a 360pro or elite and bitch about price, das gift...
I say it's a good move but now they need content. However at that price and MGS4 we'll see some stuff.

Rasputin
Oct 20, 2007, 12:23 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd I still won't buy a PS3. No good games = no PS3. DGAF about how cheap it may become. That whole cutting features thing is just whack, though.

Moo2u
Oct 20, 2007, 12:31 AM
That's still too high of a price for me, and backwards compatibility is too important to me too. And considering I'm not huge on the whole Metal Gear franchise, the only game I'd want for the PS3 would be Little Big Planet, and that's not worth all the troubles.

Powder Keg
Oct 20, 2007, 02:47 PM
Wow.

The ground is already dug up, now all that has to be done is the push.

DurakkenX
Oct 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
Sony makes another stupid mistake... but honestly what else can it do... it can really only make it more expensive or remove stuff that it doesn't need to work and the only thing it doesn't need to work at the moment is the backwards compatibility and HDD space... of course preferable thing to get rid of would be the Blu ray cuz it's the most expensive part, but they can't because they're using it to push the Blu-ray technology and it's what their games are being made on so they really can't do anything about that... The other thing it could do is change the cell processor, but that would mean all games made before the switch would not work so that also wouldn't work...

Basically this is the only thing they can do, but it's also prolly the worse because like PS2 the only reason most people got it was because of the previous generation's games, but on the other hand it could be easily handled by making all the games DLable and then make PS2/PSX DLs redeemable by way of entering the code on the disc. There are ways to resolve the problem with removing this, but they all require money on development so it's not really a win for them unless it boosts their profit via people purchasing even more software cuz they couldn't find it in a store or something.

Blitzkommando
Oct 20, 2007, 03:32 PM
See, if I were to get a PS3, one of the main reasons would be if it had backwards compatability because my PS2 is old and well-used. And I frankly don't want to spend any more money on a new PS2 when it could be spent on something I don't have. But, to ask me to spend $500 or $600 on something that I frankly would hardly use, at least right now, is asking way too much. Once the next revision comes in for the Xbox 360s though... That I'll be very, very tempted to pick up.

Weeaboolits
Oct 20, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I really don't get it, sure it allows them to drop the price, but until they start coming out with some games that people actually want, they'd better keep that BC.

Also, stop short-changing Europe, you bastards. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2007-10-20 13:42 ]</font>

SubstanceD
Oct 21, 2007, 09:36 AM
I've got to admit it, the 40 GB Playstation 3 is looking very tempting right now. The price seems quite reasonable although the lack of any decent PS3 games means I won't buy one untill Metal Gear 4 or Final Fantasy XIII comes out. By then Sony all PS3 models will come with a Rumble enhanced SIAXES.

As for the back compatabiility debate. As a PS2 owner, I don't need back compatability in the PS3 although that does not change the fact that I still wan't it. After awhile it gets annoying having multiple consoles hooked up to one TV. Too many wires all over the place, it's a big inconvience.

Tigerram
Oct 23, 2007, 01:31 AM
I could care less about a PS3 myself right now as well. Too expensive for games I sure as hell ain't interested in. Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot right now, and with no backwards capability, many people aren't going to like that, including myself. FF 13 is a game I may want to play in the future, and I don't care about MGS4, never got into it. I'd love to play Resident Evil 5, but other than that right now I don't have anything thats coming I really am drooling over. The PS3 ever since their launch has gone barely anywhere, due to a lackluster library of gameplay.

Sony must have thought anybody will play anything that's out, which means their marketing is just a complete world of dumb asses. You put a new game system out, you put out a good library of games for launch. Sounds simple enough to me, right? Man, where is the common sense?

mizukage
Oct 23, 2007, 02:45 AM
One of the best functions of the PS3 is that it is backward compatible meaning that it will play both PS2 and PS1 games. On top of that, there are quite a few good games featured on it. Once Final Fantasy Versus VIII is released, I am going to buy a PS3, but then again.. That is sometimes before 2010.

googles
Oct 27, 2007, 07:35 PM
Ive been wanting to purchase a next gen gaming system but i didn't know which one i wanted. I had a tough time choosing between the 360 and the ps3. I was SO set on getting a 360 but at the last second i changed my mind and went with the ps3, and so far i am loving it. Give it time. This time next year the ps3 will have more better games and more people will have them. In 2 years it will be the best console, unless Microsoft has a new console in the works, and even then, that will need a year or two to ramp up. A year after the 360 was released it didn't have any great, outstanding games, and even now, the only games worth getting that aren't on other consoles are halo3, gears of war, and bioshock. Which will all eventually on on pc anyway.

ShinMaruku
Oct 27, 2007, 08:02 PM
On 2007-10-21 07:36, SubstanceD wrote:
I've got to admit it, the 40 GB Playstation 3 is looking very tempting right now. The price seems quite reasonable although the lack of any decent PS3 games means I won't buy one untill Metal Gear 4 or Final Fantasy XIII comes out. By then Sony all PS3 models will come with a Rumble enhanced SIAXES.

As for the back compatabiility debate. As a PS2 owner, I don't need back compatability in the PS3 although that does not change the fact that I still wan't it. After awhile it gets annoying having multiple consoles hooked up to one TV. Too many wires all over the place, it's a big inconvience.

As Sony loves to bullshit until something is done, I think BC will return if people bitch.
They wrote off Rumble look what happened?
$600 price being ok? That price no longer exists.
They'll react until they go something.

googles
Oct 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
BC is on the 80 gig model. The only difference is its ran by software instead of hardware like the old 20 and 60 gig versions. What i dont understand is why the 40 gig doesnt have bc considering it is ran by software.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: googles on 2007-10-27 18:25 ]</font>

Katrina
Oct 27, 2007, 09:15 PM
I waited until just recently deciding on a next gen console, but decided on a 360 after news of the new 65 chip and secondary heatsink. The backwards compatibility of the PS3 is high on the list for me, especially considering the library of PS2 games I've amassed over the years.

The price drop is a plus, and was expected in the fall in time for the holiday shopping season, but at the expense of excluding Sony's bread and butter that helped them dominate the last gen, idk...

FFXIII might push me into getting one down the road regardless, if it holds up to expectations.

Dragwind
Oct 27, 2007, 10:49 PM
but will the price cut be able to up their fighting chance in the race for profit? More news at 11....

;o