PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind VS Oblivion- Which one was better.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 20, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm ONLY doing these two because, admitedly, I never got to play the older ones due to availability and OS compatability.

And since I recently found my GoTY Morrowind disks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Despite Oblivion having better graphics and a far better combat system, I would have to say that Morrosind is the better one. Reasons are-
1- FAR tougher. You can't git the broadside of a stationary aircraft carrier at point blank range with weapons. As for spells, Oblivion seems to never have a spell casting failure issue. Oblivion is also dumbed down. Even on the hardest setting it's STILL too easy to clear.
2- Better storyline.
3- Better personality.
4- Skills and birthsigns in Morrowind have actual uses.

I'll try and think of more while I'm at work. Untill then, discuss.

Sinue_v2
Oct 20, 2007, 11:34 AM
I couldn't really say. Both games have strong points. Oblivion has better graphics, physics, combat, etc. Morrowind had the better storyline, more content, and better expansions.

And the birthsigns don't have a use in either game. The Atronoch is far too broken to chose anything else.

Dangerous55
Oct 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
I enjoy both, both have their positives and negatives. Riding a horse is very cool in Oblivion, but I wish they used the map system from Morrowind. Where you can actually see the area you explored. Oblivion may be a tad dumbed down, but I never played it for the story. I just like wandering and exploring, collecting crazy items and have a stronghold with intense weapons. I like the battles in Oblivion though very much so, with multiple allies and enemies.

NPCMook
Oct 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
Theres actually a mod that improves the Morrowind combat system slightly... Morrowind is tougher in the early levels as you can get wtf owned by a rat >.> and Cliff racers... oh god the cliff racers...

Morrowind is definitely funner... But I think Oblivion had the better speechcraft set up.

RuneLateralus
Oct 23, 2007, 10:43 PM
The Thief was the best birthsign for pretty much all archery and melee classes in Oblivion. Not in Morrowind though.

As for me, hard to say. The enviroment and world in Morrowind was larger and more deep, but I prefer the gameplay of Oblivion so much more.

Both games, however, are two of the best modern RPGs, that can be said for sure.

Solstis
Oct 23, 2007, 10:54 PM
There are no cliff racers in Oblivion. Oblivion wins.

omegapirate2k
Oct 23, 2007, 11:30 PM
I have to say that there was a tad bit more variety in environments in morrowind compared to oblivion, but overall, I enjoyed oblivion more than morrowind.

Schubalts
Oct 24, 2007, 08:11 AM
On 2007-10-23 20:54, Solstis wrote:
There are no cliff racers in Oblivion. Oblivion wins.

You can't fly in Oblivion without mods. Morrowind wins!

Deathscythealpha
Oct 24, 2007, 08:30 AM
I prefered Oblivion over Morrowind simply because there was more direction. Morrowind was so open ended that you could just wander off into the wilderness...then struggle to find your way back to the main story. I must have started the first part of Morrowind three or four times, got lost each time and then obliterated by tough enemies.

However, the world of Morrowind did seem to offer more to the player. Getting to the first city and...liberating the houses from a local NPC was fun and I know several players who were satisfied with setting up their own little home there. It was nice that you could buy homes in Oblivion, but without being able to put your own input into the items (Most of the stuff you found was useless, calipers and paintbrushes im looking at you) stored their they came across as lifeless.

But even though Oblivion didnt offer as much, it still comes back to me feeling like i was getting somewhere and had some direction in the game.

amtalx
Oct 24, 2007, 09:52 AM
Combat was better in Oblivion, but everything else was better in Morrowind. The thing I really didn't like about Oblivion was the scaled enemies and garbage loot.

In Morrowind, if you ended up someplace you shouldn’t be, and walk in to a dungeon meant for advanced players, you got your ass kicked. I liked that. That means I had something to work towards. Level up, come back later. In Oblivion, I could pretty much raid the entire game after a few levels unless I cranked the difficulty all the way up.

The looting in Morrowind was FAR superior. In Oblivion, no matter where you were or what level chest it was, the loot was garbage (unless is was for a quest). Really good items only came from drops. In Morrowind, I remember working up my Sneak skill so I could roll into the House treasuries and rip the place off. Free Glass Armor is awesome. I stole my way to the top in Morrowind. The only thing sneaking was good for in Oblivion was criticals.

Jife_Jifremok
Oct 24, 2007, 11:52 AM
I couldn't stand Morrowind and how your attacks would hit something but still WHIFF and do nothing like your sword was made of air. This one game mechanic alone makes me hate it. All that freedom is worthless if you take a whole minute just to kill stuff just because your sword acts like air. Accuracy stats and hit rolls, stay outta my realtime combat or at least have creative effects on it.

Oblivion ditched the bullshit that made me quit Morrowind, but simply got old fast. Forced switches to third-person view when mounting/dismounting a horse or getting knocked down is simply irritating in a game that's supposed to immerse. It doesn't help that every time I try to get into it, SOMETHING always happens that isn't the game's fault like computer death or some game coming out. One of these days I'll get back into it...

Blue-Hawk
Oct 24, 2007, 06:29 PM
Jife, swords in Morrowind were worthless against most enemies. Actually, in Oblivion they are too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Warhammers are THE way to go. That and custom crafted spells from the guilds. (Intended for all platform players)

Alchemy is COMPLETELY worthless in Morrowind. Oblivion you can get rich off it, but in Morrowind you can't even make a potion all the time.

Although, not hitting all the time and failing to cast/create potions gave Morrowind a sense of realism than Oblivion does. In Oblivion, even with no skill in a weapon/spell you can still hit or cast.

omegapirate2k
Oct 24, 2007, 06:56 PM
On 2007-10-24 16:29, Blue-Hawk wrote:
That and custom crafted spells from the guilds. (Intended for all platform players)

Also, going into the construction set and making arrows from spears and having the arrows explode in a giant radius on contact.

Blue-Hawk
Oct 24, 2007, 11:35 PM
On 2007-10-24 16:56, omegapirate2k wrote:

That and custom crafted spells from the guilds. (Intended for all platform players)

Also, going into the construction set and making arrows from spears and having the arrows explode in a giant radius on contact.

You DO know that Bethesda made an official plugin for Morrowind that adds AoE arrows, right?

NPCMook
Oct 25, 2007, 12:19 AM
I can't wait till The Elder Scrolls V: Fall out 3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Maybe we will get the best of both worlds?

Skett
Oct 25, 2007, 03:11 AM
Oblivion's combat didn't rely on an invisible roll of the dice to see if your sword (that you clearly saw stab the enemy) actually did damage, so it wins.

Schubalts
Oct 25, 2007, 08:13 AM
Morrowind didn't have "So I saw a mudcrab today...", so it wins.

DizzyDi
Oct 25, 2007, 08:16 AM
Oblivion didn't have "So I saw a clif-SCREEEEEEEEEE!", so it wins.

LOL NAW I'M JUST JOSHIN YA! They're both good imo, but not amazing.
I'll take one of those old Black Isle/Bioware PC RPGs anyday.

omegapirate2k
Oct 25, 2007, 09:37 AM
On 2007-10-24 21:35, Blue-Hawk wrote:

On 2007-10-24 16:56, omegapirate2k wrote:

You DO know that Bethesda made an official plugin for Morrowind that adds AoE arrows, right?

Yes but they didn't apply 99 fire damage, 99 frost damage, and 99 shock damage over 99 seconds, did they?

astuarlen
Oct 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
On 2007-10-25 06:16, DizzyDi wrote:
LOL NAW I'M JUST JOSHIN YA! They're both good imo, but not amazing.
I'll take one of those old Black Isle/Bioware PC RPGs anyday.

Amen.
Oblivion had a very same-thing-over-and-over feel to it, IMO. The scaling world idea seems theoretically appealing, but I found it deprived you of the feeling of progress. On the one hand, easy battles suck because they're boring, but getting killed also sucked (or would have sucked--didn't get mauled too often, as long as I kept my distance) because there was no sense of man, in a few more levels, I will be owning these guys. My party got decimated a lot in games in Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, and the like, but that was okay, because the enemies seemed worth beating and progress worth being made. Oblivion just struck me as grey, and it never grabbed me or made me want to keep moving forward and discovering new enemies and places and quests.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Solstis
Oct 25, 2007, 01:57 PM
Oblivion had a nice, "oh, what is that?" factor. But, then again, the near omnipresence of Oblivion Gates killed the sight-seeing aspect.

Morrowind had a bit too much grey and brown in its environment for me. I also prefer Oblivion's combat. I prefer that my hits land and do little to no damage, as oppossed to combat being an approximation of what is happening, ala Morrowind (you're not really stabbing the mudcrab with a spear, you're apparently stabbing the ground and everything around it instead). That's too meta, if my swings are dictated by input, I feel robbed if they're all missing.