PDA

View Full Version : Those who wish you well are more dangerous to you, than thos

KodiaX987
Oct 21, 2007, 12:00 AM
Rather sin-against-God, isn't it?

Let me explain.

You are in a situation in which you are coupled with other people for whatever sort of team effort. Your teammates are indifferent to your presence, or worse, they're your buddies. Their guards are relaxed, their brains are at home; they are idiots.

You see, those who wish you well may or may not actually do what they have to do. Or they may do it, but my not do it well. Think of the time you felt stealthy, only to have your friend pop up from behind and yell "HEY JOE, what's up man?" Think about all the times those you trusted failed to deliver and didn't care much because they knew you two would still be friends anyway. Friends have no incentive to work along with you. They have no incentive that justifies them helping you or covering your ass. If you screw up, the might help. If they screw up, well, they figure it's their problem...

But what if you were coupled with someone who hated your guts?

The guy is sharp and alert. Because the one who wants you harm seeks to capitalize on his own glory while making you look ridiculous. Double points if that guy happens to be your nemesis. He will look for a way to hurt you and by God, he will find this way. He will get up at night to plan your downfall. The one who wants to hinder you will help you.

The one who wants you harm has no interest in failure. The only thing that has a higher priority over making you lose face, is him losing face, himself. He cannot enjoy his victory over you unless he is visibly triumphant. Therefore, all his attempts at harming you will never be suidical or self-destructive. As soon as the danger of failure rears its nose around the corner, he'll back off and seek another way.

If he's under your command, he'll slip insulting phrases into his work, look like a lazy oaf, argue with the other teammates, basically anything to piss you off. Don't be fooled. The minute he'll be at home, he'll be thinking of how to look good while you look bad. Him looking good involves him appearing better than you are in every way. He must lead better, work better and do better than you. Therefore, he will do his work.

If you are under his command, he'll send you on pointless or menial tasks. He'll ask you to google a non-profit organization called ANAL and instruct you to click "I'm feeling lucky". He'll disagree with everything you say. The worst he might do is not give you anything to do, then claim you ain't doing any work; to which you will reply "You haven't given me anything to do. As soon as something's available, I'll be right there to do it." His weak attacks are meaningless prods directed at angering you. His goal as a leader is to make you feel like a peon, a pawn, a slave under his full authority. All he wants is power for power, and at the same time, he will recognize that part of the team rests under his responsibility, so it will be in his interest to tease you a little, but not too hard. If he does so, the time spent bickering will take over the time dedicated to the work, and nothing will get done... and he'll be neck-deep in shit, as much as you will, and as much as the rest of the team will.

In one case or another, they guy will be driven.

Of course, you must limit the number of enemies working alongside you. The ideal number is one who wants you harm to two who want your well-being. Those who wish you harm should never reach or exceed break-even or majority, as this situation may cause them to perform self-destructive behavior as they will find it worthwhile to fail on purpose for the pleasure of dragging you down along with them.

So remember this, folks. Your friends are only as concerned about you as you are concerned about socking them in the face. They know that failure in front of you is consequenceless.

Your enemies are as concerned about your demise as they are concerned of their own success - and if they succeed, so will you. But what matters is them succeeding better than you do.

So remember this. Whenever you are to form a team and work together, always be sure to recuit someone who hates you.

Firocket1690
Oct 21, 2007, 12:38 AM
.. somehow, I understood all that.

well. 'cept to that part about the number of those who work alongside you. I'll agree that it is better to keep more beneficial teammates than 'enemy-teammates' but hypothetically, one has seven good, and four bad teammates on a team of twelve. What makes you think the 'bad' teammates will work together against you? Nothing's stopping them from harming you individually.

DizzyDi
Oct 21, 2007, 12:46 AM
I don't really believe this would work in all situations. Sometimes your opposition just might not care either way and will sabotage your shit and not care at all about his own responsibilities.

EphekZ
Oct 21, 2007, 01:04 AM
On 2007-10-20 22:46, DizzyDi wrote:
I don't really believe this would work in all situations. Sometimes your opposition just might not care either way and will sabotage your shit and not care at all about his own responsibilities.

I found that to be most true in my cases.

Nyreal
Oct 21, 2007, 01:18 AM
It's true. People who are stupid enough to hold a grudge over something trivial (which is usually the case, as there are only very rarely reason to hate people; this isn't an action movie) are normally very likely to be stupid enough to be jackasses and not do their work.

omegapirate2k
Oct 21, 2007, 02:17 AM
I suppose my plan of getting everyone to hate me actually has a point now, schweet.

Dragwind
Oct 21, 2007, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't say that ALWAYS the case...but most often with people who aren't truly good friends, yet claim to be. However, working with some enemies does have the benefits you stated. I agree with that.