PDA

View Full Version : Getting "8" in 1UP with a struggling party

SolomonGrundy
Oct 22, 2007, 03:45 PM
So, I ran with some great and some struggling parties so far in 1UP. One of the biggest dissapointments can be getting to the end, only to miss out on the EX missions that follow.

Here is some useful advice on how to plan for an 8, even if you party may not be UBAR or whatever.

Parum:
you will come to the first set of teleporters. If the "correct" teleporter is on the RIGHT, then you have a 'speed' run. Collect the chips, but don't worry about killing all the enemies.

When you come to the second set of teleporters, DON'T split up. Take the 'shortcut' (that is, the teleporter to the LEFT of the teleporter with the flower, if the flower is all the way on the left, the 'shortcut' teleporter is the rightmost one).

It will only take you, on an A rank, 15 minutes to get to the Boss, so you'll have plenty of time to take him down.

Now, if you come to the first set of teleporters and the 'correct' set of teleporters is the LEFT one, then you have a 'kill everything' type mission. Don't worry about time. Instead, break up into groups, at the teleporters, so you can encounter as many enemies as possible. When you enter the 'ruins' portion of the mission, then deliberately take the 'wrong' switch up the stairs after fighting the golormo and the volfu. This will spawn additional enemies

The 'wrong' switch: in the last section of outside Parum, some party members will take a left, to identify which type of enemy should be killed by those who took the right fork. If you entered the ruins by going into the cave on the LEFT, then the RIGHT switch is the 'wrong' one. If you took the right fork, and entered the cave by going right (collecting the 2nd 1UP chip in the process), the then the LEFT switch is the 'wrong' one.

MOATOOB:

Easier, in a way. Go for the 100% kills. Don't worry about time. the spawns are always the same, as is the map layout. If you are a group that does not carry fire traps, or does not contain any beasts/casts, then the 100% kills route is probably for you. Having 1 or 2 high level characters does not seem to be enough, as the time just ticks too fast. Once you have time, you will be far less likely to 'forget' a 1UP chip, which was the most common reason I saw folks missing 8 points on either mission.

Sekani
Oct 23, 2007, 01:27 AM
With an underleveled party it's far less stressful to go for max kills, even on Parum. Time is the last thing you should be worrying about; you can work on improving your time once you get the chips and kill count down.

Besides, why would you skimp on the EXP?

Astarin
Oct 23, 2007, 01:40 AM
What makes you recommend going for Max kills over Speed if you get the Left Shortcut on Parum's "Invisible Road"? You can make either side into either kind of mission, it just changes which warps you should take and which enemies you should kill (in blocks C and D).

I run Speed on all variants, all the time, by choice, but admittedly, it took me a while to figure out the pattern. There's a handy guide in the Gameplay section on it. Just do the opposite of what it says (since the guide is written to get a perfect 10 points) if you're aiming for a Speed run. ie. it says skip the Badiras for a "Right Shortcut" map, you should kill them for Speed.

SolomonGrundy
Oct 23, 2007, 12:56 PM
Astarin:

you are correct. I had bad info before, based on some some folks showing me a few patters that made sense...because they were killing the 'wrong' enemies and were forcing a long spawn.

mvffin
Oct 23, 2007, 02:45 PM
its not hard to get an 8 on Parum. Me and my brother did it with just the two of us,(80 F Beast WT and a 57 M Cast fG) I'm wanna try it solo http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. Hiding spots in the field areas make it easier, and in the temple, all you have to worry about are svaltus's's's(svalti?).

Astarin
Oct 23, 2007, 03:12 PM
Heh. Cool, I was having the exact same problems before, Solomon. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why the key would appear close to the gate in Meadow C some of the time, and others you'd have to run the long route through all the Vahras. I thought it was random for a while, until I was shown the tricks.

And I always say "Svaltuses", though "Svalti" is probably more correct XD

PJ
Oct 23, 2007, 03:55 PM
Question

I noticed when you go above the time limit, the points for time drops from 5 to 3, so does that mean you could take as long as you wanted timewise, kill all enemies, and get all chips, and it'd be just as good as getting under time and all chips?

mvffin
Oct 23, 2007, 04:08 PM
i dont know about as long as you want, but i've had a time of 35+ something and still got 3 pts for time. I think maybe the cutoff is 40 min.