PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Anime?

mizukage
Oct 22, 2007, 08:20 PM
I assume that most people who like playing PSU/AOI also like to watch anime, even though not everybody. Anyways, pick your favorite one!

(By the way, I don't watch most of it.)

Jaysky
Oct 22, 2007, 08:41 PM
You do realize Avatar isn't even an anime, right?

CupOfCoffee
Oct 22, 2007, 08:43 PM
Definitely Cowboy Bebop, for two reasons. One, it's extremely well-made. Two, it's the only one from this list that I've seen a full episode of.

McLaughlin
Oct 22, 2007, 09:19 PM
Avatar. Even though it isn't an Anime.

mizukage
Oct 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
On 2007-10-22 18:41, Jaysky wrote:

No. I thought it was an anime.

AlexCraig
Oct 22, 2007, 09:46 PM
I have spoken all my faves in Bunny's Hideout.

Zorafim
Oct 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
Where is Escaflowne, and why have I not assassinated you for not putting it up there?

mizukage
Oct 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
On 2007-10-22 19:46, AlexCraig wrote:

Where the heck is Bunny's Hideout? Wait.. Don't tell me that is the name of another anime.

Sinue_v2
Oct 22, 2007, 10:04 PM
There's a few I really enjoy. Armitage III, Metropolis, Mahoromatic, Demon City Shinjoku, Monster... but my two favorites would have to be Ghost in the Shell (All of them, movies and anime both) and Hellsing. Well, with a caveat. I really loved the Hellsing anime until I started reading the manga - at which point I became disgusted by it.

I've been watching the Hellsing Ultimate OVA, and so far I'm really enjoying it - but I'm also a bit disappointed by part I & II. They are far more faithful than the anime was, but they do differ quite a bit as well in an attempt to draw distance between them and the original anime. OVA III seems to do a much better job of following the source.

AlexCraig
Oct 22, 2007, 10:04 PM
On 2007-10-22 19:56, mizukage wrote:

On 2007-10-22 19:46, AlexCraig wrote:

Where the heck is Bunny's Hideout? Wait.. Don't tell me that is the name of another anime.

It is a thread dedicated to all anime. On page 2.

Darkly
Oct 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
cowboy bebop - it opened my eyes to anime, and served as a very good introduction
- it made me want to find other space-cowboy shows like trigun and outlaw star
- it didn't follow the typical conventions of animes like dbz
- the show is just effortlessly cool, without being over the top at all.

McLaughlin
Oct 23, 2007, 11:17 AM
On 2007-10-22 19:54, Zorafim wrote:
Where is Escaflowne, and why have I not assassinated you for not putting it up there?

I concur. That one was excellent as well.

Weeaboolits
Oct 23, 2007, 11:38 AM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/neym_allure02/death%20note/death_note-2.gif

amtalx
Oct 23, 2007, 11:46 AM
Ending: Witch Hunter Robin
Characters: Cowboy Bebop
Story: Ghost in the Shell

Overall: Ghost in the Shell

McLaughlin
Oct 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
The ending of Witch Hunter Robin was awesome.

chaos89
Oct 23, 2007, 12:59 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/allergicto/anime/gantz4.jpg
best anime ever

amtalx
Oct 23, 2007, 02:07 PM
Nice! I'll have to try some of these. I just finished Wolf's Rain and was kind of dissapointed. Need something new...

DikkyRay
Oct 23, 2007, 03:13 PM
lol at the poll.
You realize that there are THOUSANDS of different titles out there?
Other cant cover it.
But i gotta go with School Rumble.

NPCMook
Oct 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
Cowboy Bebop
Beck
Air Gear
Mezzo DSA
Lupin the 3rd
Samurai Champloo
School Days
Death Note
Ghost Hound
Clannad
Goshuushou-Sama Ninomiya-Kun
Myself; Yourself
Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales
Mononoke
Ghost Hunt
Kiba
Sunabozu/Desert Punk
Grenadeir

and not in that particular order >.>

also http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=152628&forum=9&80

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NPCMook on 2007-10-23 14:31 ]</font>

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Oct 23, 2007, 05:46 PM
how could you!!! you forgot rurouni kenshin
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Dr_Montague/RK-Duality-Oro_Final.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VIRIDIA_HUNTER on 2007-10-23 15:50 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Oct 23, 2007, 05:56 PM
Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Last Exile, Outlaw Star, Berserk, Evangelion, & some more I can't think of right now.

DikkyRay
Oct 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
Oh we are listing them? Oops.
CoyBoy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Love Hina, School Rumble, Excel Saga, TRIGUN

EDIT: Forgot Trigun. Now taht is some good anime

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DikkyRay on 2007-10-23 17:20 ]</font>

Darkly
Oct 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
I would put gungrave as my second. A very good anime i really would reccomend - it's a gritty mafia drama, but becomes mixed in with sci-fi, but its all centered around the tragic relationship between the 2 main characters.

BlackHat
Oct 23, 2007, 11:44 PM
I haven't watched a whole bunch of Anime to really have a favorite. Only one I remember I liked was Outlaw Star.

UnderscoreX
Oct 23, 2007, 11:57 PM
On 2007-10-23 13:13, DikkyRay wrote:
But i gotta go with School Rumble.

I concur! But out of everything there it has to be Bleach.

Weeaboolits
Oct 24, 2007, 12:50 AM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/60/82/c0a2b340dca038f8c0707010.L.jpg

It's also awesome that the package looks like a model kit box.

Turambar
Oct 24, 2007, 02:55 AM
The lack of the following saddens me and fills me with great rage: Trigun, Escaflowne, Macross, Kenshin, Evangelion, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, GITS, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Nadesico, Azumanga Daioh, Beserk, Monster.

With that said, the winner of the poll, other than "other", should clearly be Cowboy Bebop. A master piece created in the glory days of Sunrise before much of its staff went off and formed Bones, glorious in story telling and characterization, and as a bonus, possess a marvelous English dub, something very few animes can boast. It has a place in the upper tier Pantheon of Anime that the anime community in general acknowledges, fan or not. It also has the upper hand in time, proving a staying power in it's relevance that the others in the list has yet to do.

The closest contender following would be Gundam 00, a series that just might possibly make Sunrise worth watching for more than the train wreck effect and the fact that Gundam is still Gundam. Much like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was able to put to sleep the old "LOL GAINAX End" joke, there is much hope that Gundam 00 can do the same for Sunrise, something that Code Geass has been unable to do.

The remainder of the list (with the exception of Avatar since I don't quite consider it an anime) are caught in the slump of monotony. Most being based off still running manga, are stuck in a cycle of source material and filler, and horrible filler at that. Also, while being long running (one piece is at episode what now?) and fairly popular to the targeted crowd, it brings little that is innovative to the table. There is no shock to the genre or to the industry in general like GITS, EVA, and SHnY was able to do, and no history to uphold (or defy, however you see it) like Gurren Lagann, and hopefully Gundam00.

Shakugan no Shana is an exception. What sets it apart is its seasonal airing of your usual 26 episodes, decreasing the chance of poorly written fillers and ensuring a certain level of closure at the end of every season, it will be interesting to see where it is taken after the very successful first Season, and a slow start that is characterizing the second season.

Edit: Holy crap...wall of text....so much for focusing on my midterm thats in...........7 hours.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turambar on 2007-10-24 01:02 ]</font>

ShinMatsumoto
Oct 24, 2007, 06:10 AM
Turambar, I agree with pretty much everything you've just said. Every single thing.

Gundam 00 shows a lot of promise. I was drawn the second I saw the RX-78-2 in the very first scenes. I'm drawn by the fact that it's set in the Anno Domini (read: us) calendar. I like the Mobile Suit designs. God forbid there be a clunky war machine in a Gundam, heh. The new Gundams each have their own roles, though Exia seems to be capable of going on Heero-level rampages pretty efficiently. I like how they've subtly changed quite a few things in the series, yet kept to the old at the same time.

Most of all, I like that it's not SEED, as SEED Destiny was quite disappointing for a sequel to a series that did its job as well as SEED did. I thought the next thing we'd see would be C.E. 73 Stargazer, but Gundam 00 caught me by surprise, and I'm addicted.

As far as the rest go, I've seen at least most of all on your list except for Monster, which I've scratched down on a piece of paper to look for.

Yeah, Sunrise has been in a lull lately. But Gundam 00 might be a recovery. From what I've heard they're doing a 25 episode season, then calling the series delayed so they can do the next season in its entirety, or something to that effect.

So I put my vote for Gundam 00. Here's to hoping.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2007-10-24 04:14 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Oct 24, 2007, 06:35 AM
A good short series that got me into DLing anime is Samurai 7... it's one that I have only seen once but it is the reason why i started watching anime to a large degree... Sure before then I watched DBZ, SM, Evangelion, Kenshin, and all the other common ones brought over to america, but it was Samurai 7 that made me start seeking anime out more than just having them presented to me or having other people tell me about them.

Basically Samurai 7 is about a future world where technology advanced in cybernetics and airships which led to massive airship city/battleship and military cyborgs that eventually became fully cybernetic with their mind being transfered to the suit... The world has entered a war and was pretty much fucked up and as such has reverted to a large degree back to dark ages for most people with the rulers of the world being those who control the great city battleships and the cybernetic warriors who have become pirates or belong to roving warlords.

A small village sends out a person to find someone willing to protect their village from the pirates and it ends up with 7 samurai battling against a huge force... unrealistic outcome, but good story.

SubstanceD
Oct 24, 2007, 08:13 AM
I voted other. Depending on my mood, my favorite anime can be either of these 3 shows:

Full Metal Alchemist
Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Destiny
Rahxephon

Avatar is one of the best shows on TV right now and I recommend it to anyone even though it isn't really anime.

I'm addicted to Naruto although the story moves too slowly and is filled with too much filler to be considered great.

I only just got into Bleach last week.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is still to new to properly judge it ( although it looks fucking awesome ).

As for Cowboy BeBop. There was once a time when I thought that show was the best thing to happen to anime. As such, I went out and bought all the dvd's and watched each epiosed about a thousand times, now all the novelty has worn off and my enthusiasm for the show has died off. I still rank it highly. Just not high enough.

I haven't seen any of teh other shows.

Shadowpawn
Oct 24, 2007, 08:44 AM

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/anime

It's anime, it doesn't have to be made in Japan in order for it to be anime.

DizzyDi
Oct 24, 2007, 08:51 AM
That definition is flawed in several ways. Not all ANNIE MAYS have 'stark colorful graphics' or 'action-filled plots often in fantastic or futuristic settings'.
True animu originates in japan. Then there are western cartoons that have ANNIE MAY style art like Avatar or The Boondocks.

DurakkenX
Oct 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
anime is just animation v.v the only reason we distinguish it is because it has a style that is more unique than most other styles due to it's low production costs which is only such due to it being created in japan. It has nothing to do with story, or even the style of drawing, but rather the style of animation with has to do with looping and such which is really only done in japan and is very different american animation in the form of it's dominant force "Disney"

Anime = Minimalism to it's max.
Disney = EVERY FRAME HAS MOTION and every part must move.

Currently Anime has slowly become more americanized in that aspect and Disney has stylistically gone more anime route...

The difference then becomes what is more exagerated in each and how they are looked at culturally.

Disney = for kids and still emphasizes motion in everything
Anime = for everyone and emphasizes more cinematography

DizzyDi
Oct 24, 2007, 09:42 AM
Cool trivia: When creating the animu style the Japanese were originally trying to imitate the old Disney cartoons. Hence the large eyes, exaggerated facial expressions, and big mouths.

DizzyDi
Oct 24, 2007, 10:10 AM
I don't remember that >_> but <_< if its true >_> then I admit that <_< I was wrong >_>. v_V

mizukage
Oct 24, 2007, 12:20 PM
On 2007-10-24 06:44, Shadowpawn wrote:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/anime

It's anime, it doesn't have to be made in Japan in order for it to be anime.

Actually, I thought he meant that Avatar is just a Nintendo Wii game. To be honest, I have no idea what Avatar is about, except that there is a Wii game.

Edited: anime = anime; video game can be anime-like

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mizukage on 2007-10-24 10:21 ]</font>

Turambar
Oct 24, 2007, 01:13 PM
There is anime as an animation style. Then there is anime as a sub-cultural term. The later term is usually the one being used when we discuss anime.

(Now here's a question. Should Robotech be considered an anime?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turambar on 2007-10-24 11:15 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Oct 24, 2007, 03:26 PM
On 2007-10-24 06:51, DizzyDi wrote:
That definition is flawed in several ways. Not all ANNIE MAYS have 'stark colorful graphics' or 'action-filled plots often in fantastic or futuristic settings'.
True animu originates in japan. Then there are western cartoons that have ANNIE MAY style art like Avatar or The Boondocks.

That's not exactly true either, as the techinques that helped shape anime as we know it came from animation experimental techniques that were being explored in France. Japan just further developed it into what we see today thanks to shows like Astroboy. Hell, the French even gave anime its name. :/

AC9breaker
Oct 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
Totally Spies

Sinue_v2
Oct 24, 2007, 04:43 PM

They're cartoons.

Noblewine
Oct 24, 2007, 04:44 PM
comedy: FLCL, Magical Arcada Amboshi and Tenchi Muyo.
action/fantasy: MAR
Sports: Prince of Tennis

Sayara
Oct 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
Anime-TED. lol

Actually..

Sayonora Zetsubo Sensei is the best anime i've seen since Paranoia Agent.

DizzyDi
Oct 24, 2007, 05:04 PM
On 2007-10-24 14:48, Kuroi_Ryoken wrote:
anthing that is animated is considered anime nerds.

No not really.
Anime is either a style of art or animation that originates from Japan, depending on your PoV.
Johnny Quest won't be appearing on the anime channel anytime soon.

mizukage
Oct 24, 2007, 05:41 PM
On 2007-10-24 11:13, Turambar wrote:
(Now here's a question. Should Robotech be considered an anime?)

Robotech.. I have never seen it before and I have never played the game either, but I believe Robotech should be considered an anime.

On 2007-10-24 14:43, Sinue_v2 wrote:
They're cartoons.

Actually, many people cannot tell the differences between cartoons and anime.

On 2007-10-24 15:04, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2007-10-24 14:48, Kuroi_Ryoken wrote:
anthing that is animated is considered anime nerds.

No not really.
Anime is either a style of art or animation that originates from Japan, depending on your PoV.
Johnny Quest won't be appearing on the anime channel anytime soon.

Not exactly. Anime doesn't have to be originated from Japan in order to be called anime rather than cartoon. I find it difficult to explain the differences, yet I can differ the two.

DizzyDi
Oct 24, 2007, 05:42 PM
I said EITHER a style of art or animation that originates from Japan.

astuarlen
Oct 24, 2007, 07:50 PM
Magic Knights Rayearth. ^.^~~~

Sinue_v2
Oct 24, 2007, 08:12 PM

That much is evident.

mariwan
Oct 24, 2007, 08:42 PM
On 2007-10-24 18:12, Sinue_v2 wrote:

That much is evident.

Thought Japanese Cartoons are called anime <,<

mizukage
Oct 24, 2007, 08:48 PM
On 2007-10-24 15:42, DizzyDi wrote:
I said EITHER a style of art or animation that originates from Japan.

My apologies, I didn't read the whole sentence.

On 2007-10-24 18:42, mariwan wrote:

On 2007-10-24 18:12, Sinue_v2 wrote:

That much is evident.

Thought Japanese Cartoons are called anime <,<

Somewhat true.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Oct 24, 2007, 11:27 PM
No longer about anyone's fave anime "^_^" degenerating into other things. ">.>"

Locked.