PDA

View Full Version : best guns?

BIGHEAD
Oct 24, 2007, 08:57 AM
what do you think are the best guns in the game ie shotgun, rifle, twin, handgun.....

Bitey
Oct 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
As far as DPS is concerned:

Shotgun
Laser cannon (after AoI)
Crossbow
Grenade Launcher

In that order.

After that, Twin Handguns, Mechguns, and Cards all generally have the same DPS with an equal bullet give or take 100 points. They are all also lower in DPS than the above weapons.

Rifles and Longbows are about the same, but Rifles do slightly more than Longbows and both weapons are worse than the above weapons.

I have never honestly tested out Handguns to say anything, but gut feeling tells me they are more worse than Rifles (same firing rate, lower ATP).

As far as Status Effects go:

Crossbow
Laser Cannon (after AoI)
Rifle
Shotgun

I am not even gonna comment on the other guns because it is hard to judge past these weapons.

amtalx
Oct 24, 2007, 09:33 AM
Theres' not really a 'best' gun. fG weapons are too situational. If I had to pick a favorite though, I would go with Laser Cannons. They just look awesome. Except I like the A ranks better than the S-ranks...

ljkkjlcm9
Oct 24, 2007, 09:56 AM
my favorite are Xbows...
Now with my dunga set, and with the level 30 bullets in the expansion for my figh.... glorious!

THE JACKEL

Pillan
Oct 24, 2007, 09:59 AM
Like amtalx said, there is no best gun.

As far as damage is concerned, you’ll see something like potential laser > potential shotgun > grenade to large mob/boss > machinegun > crossbow > real shotgun > real laser > twin handgun > rifle > grenade to anything else > handgun. (The reason I say potential there is because movement and mob arrangement usually lower their real damage compared to the other weapons.) So, really, I’d say stick to the machinegun, crossbow, shotgun group, even with the dramatic changes in lasers taken into account since the base ATP change (along with another buff to shotguns) will effect those 3 weapons far more than the buffs to lasers. Don’t forget that on bosses, you generally need a first person gun, so twin handguns and rifles become you highest damage there, aside from grenades on De Ragan clones.

SE wise, it will be something like potential laser > crossbow > shotgun > grenade to large mob > real laser > rifle > handgun > twin handgun. However, I don’t really know how much the lowered enemy STA will improve the landing rate of the SEs, so machinegun SEs might actually be useful on medium and small mobs and shotguns better than crossbows at status spam. And, of course, don’t forget rifles are your only SE 4 access, so even though their real landing rate is generally lower, the stronger SE occasionally makes up for it (i.e., the extra .5% damage/second of burn 4 makes a huge impact on things like Gol Dolva).

So, yeah, if you’re going for the best of both, your obvious choices are rifles, crossbows, lasers, and grenades to cover every possible situation an fG will ever be in. However, I’m sure most fGs would trade in the crossbows for a shotgun in order to get the significantly higher imaginary damage and their access to them at S rank.

panzer_unit
Oct 24, 2007, 10:26 AM
shotgun (few or scattered enemies) and laser (enemy groups/formations) are the class' preferred tools for dealing damage... you do have to work to get the most out of them but it's not nearly so miserable as Pillan makes out. If laser won't work, shotgun will. Also it's virtually impossible to run a shotgun out of energy as a Fortegunner. Important if you're going to use some of your more Photon Charge hungry tools.
grenades for knockdown on large monsters or enemy formations to support allies... even with fully leveled bullets and multiple burns or proper element, grenades eat PP (or HP) too fast to be a full-time direct damage weapon
rifles for burn/virus damage, killer shot on robots, and teammate support with freeze/sleep/shock/silence

For one handed weapons:
Mechguns and Handguns are good middle range. One's all DPS and the other's pretty effective for SE. If you throw some dagger PA's in there whenever monsters get close, your handgun can go just about full-time just off of the recharging you do running from encounter to encounter.
Crossbows are as effective for both Mechgun + Handgun roles, but you need targets to match the bullet spread or shoot at point blank.

Pillan
Oct 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
On 2007-10-24 08:26, panzer_unit wrote:
shotgun (few or scattered enemies) and laser (enemy groups/formations) are the class' preferred tools for dealing damage... you do have to work to get the most out of them but it's not nearly so miserable as Pillan makes out.

I’m not saying they’re bad damage, just that your crossbows, machineguns, and cards are generally going to get more damage because for every second you stop firing the shotgun or laser (whether it be to avoid attacks from approaching enemies or get them back into a good arrangement), I get 3-4 hits from the other guns. Those extra hits add up and give the ones that allow simultaneous strafing and firing a higher real damage than the ones that don’t, though I’m more than willing to admit a shotgun or laser would get more damage if you could just stand there and keep shooting until it died.

panzer_unit
Oct 24, 2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, it depends on your target selection and set-up, but that's the "skill" portion of being a gunner... getting the most bang out of your big guns. You can't just write it off as imaginary, you get better at spotting your opportunities and making use of them. If you don't, you might as well go FG.

Things are going to be more favorable for heavy firearms in AOI, with shotguns and lasers having some stagger to keep targets still once you've started laying in on them.

Garanz-Baranz
Oct 24, 2007, 12:22 PM
Fortegunners weapons are variable.

The HIGHEST posible damage is the current Shotgun, on two-part enemies, like Polavohra, A Lv30 Shotgun can hit it 10 times in one shot, by standing by most multi-target fourlegged enemies shoulders, or standing behind the 3 target twolegged ones, you can force the shotgun to hit two targets with all 5 bullets, doing 10x the amount of one bullet, which is ALOT of damage considering your a Gunner.

In AOI, as I have heard, this effect is removed, correct me if i'm wrong.

<.< Laser Cannons are the second highest damaging bullet weapons at true potential, and at real potential, they're great on small mobs, and can really do mass damage, also are a decent, not good, substitute for a Rifle, and Bow.

Rifles and Bows are technically equal, Bows have VERY high Attribute %s, and Rifles have the high speed, On a lv72 CAST FG, I do approxomatly 340 damage a hit with a Phantom[ungrinded] at lv14, on proper enemy, but, on a Lv52 Beast GT, I do 350 damage with one shot on a Alteric[+9] or an Ulteri[+2], with a Lv 14 PA on proper enemy, Bows essentially have higher damage per hit, while Rifles have higher hit's per second.

Grenaders, I find these to be SOOOO situational, that they are too costly for their perpose, obviously this Gun has the lowest DPS in real senario, but probably the second highest in highest potential. Editing the Grenader to have a Diga styles Arc and an ability to HIT ENEMIES DIRECTLY, would really boost them to higher potential.

Cards, these little suckers totally pawn at higher levels, on my Beast GT, I do about 450 damage a hit on proper enemies, It's the highest DPS on a one handed weapon.

Handguns, these are pretty much like one handed Rifles, with half the DPS, their great at assisting PA's like Rising Strike, allowing you to knock the enemy away, and still hit the enemy, using the Handgun. their great melee assis weapons.

Mechguns, these buggers rival Cards in DPS, though they run out of PP 3 times faster. it's a rapid fire Handgun, not much else.

Crossbows are mobile Shotguns at lv30+, I can't say it's highest potential DPS is better then a Shotguns, but it's a pain in the butt to level, it's basically a Handgun with two side bullets, it can't "Double Hit" like the Shotgun can, but oh well.

Twin Handguns, that's basically what they are, two handguns side by side. The damage of one shot on this gun is the same as the damage on one shot of a handgun, mabye slightly lower, but it's two guns, so two shots. It's DPS is lower then a Cards, and it's lower then a Bow/Rifles, it's probably on par with the DPS of a Crossbow and/or Mechgun. Twins are good at tagging, and good at cover fire.

<.< there.

Pillan
Oct 24, 2007, 02:11 PM
On 2007-10-24 09:23, panzer_unit wrote:
Yeah, it depends on your target selection and set-up, but that's the "skill" portion of being a gunner... getting the most bang out of your big guns. You can't just write it off as imaginary, you get better at spotting your opportunities and making use of them. If you don't, you might as well go FG.

Things are going to be more favorable for heavy firearms in AOI, with shotguns and lasers having some stagger to keep targets still once you've started laying in on them.

The imaginary damage I was referring to is the 10 shot potential damage that shotguns can gain. On that subject, shotguns still have that in AoI, as the update to the JP wiki saying it was removed was removed.

But, yes, more staggering will help the slower guns a lot more than the faster ones, so it will definitely result in some improvement in that ratio. No idea how much though. I’ll estimate it’s just enough so that the difference isn’t noticable.

Soulvayne
Oct 24, 2007, 02:35 PM
Personally on a boss dragon enemy a grenade launcher with Boma Duranga probably wins hands down in DPS, the comments I Get while doing Invisible Road are just unbelievable once the player realizes all those 7-1k damage messages are coming from one player ever few seconds.

Kimil
Oct 24, 2007, 03:01 PM
Cards Cards Cards Cards Cards.
Try em, level em, and you'll see why

PJ
Oct 24, 2007, 05:01 PM
Grenades are probably the only gun that truly makes Rangers broken.

High damage, hits multiple enemies, blows enemies away. It's especially amazing hitting Vandas into corners (Forget corners, just WALLS), for meleers to hit them (So they sending them flying isn't annoying) or Forces can use techs on them. Grenades are AMAZING. Let's not talk DPS shit; they're just so fucking useful, it's not even funny.

They're also really great against the big enemies with multiple parts ala Polavara/Kog Nadd. Let's not forgot about how amazing Dugrega is. Good lord is it awesome.

For single handed guns, I'd say Crossbow is pretty much universally the best (Even if no one takes into account how terrible it is level 1-20), and that cards are more fun than they are overlly useful. I imagine Acrofighter will make good use of cards, though.

BIGHEAD
Oct 25, 2007, 10:18 AM
so with a shot you said that it x10 potential DPS but is that only at level 30?
Plus if you couldnt afford an s rank one which is best to go for?

ta

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BIGHEAD on 2007-10-25 08:20 ]</font>

Pillan
Oct 25, 2007, 01:30 PM
On 2007-10-25 08:18, BIGHEAD wrote:
so with a shot you said that it x10 potential DPS but is that only at level 30?

It's at 21+. From 1-10 it's 3 bullets that hit up to 6 targets, 4 bullets that hit up to 8 targets from 11-20, and 5 bullets that hit up to 10 targets from 21-40.

On 2007-10-25 08:18, BIGHEAD wrote:
Plus if you couldnt afford an s rank one which is best to go for?

Shotguns are pretty much purely based on your base stats, so there really isn't much difference between a 1 star and a 10 star in terms of damage. Just use the highest rank you can buy or make, though you shouldn't have much trouble getting a 10 star as people will be practically giving them away thanks to the EX mission deflation. (Don't forget that a 9 star +5 is stronger than a 10 star in most cases.)

Garanz-Baranz
Oct 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
On 2007-10-24 15:01, PJ wrote:
Grenades are probably the only gun that truly makes Rangers broken.

High damage, hits multiple enemies, blows enemies away. It's especially amazing hitting Vandas into corners (Forget corners, just WALLS), for meleers to hit them (So they sending them flying isn't annoying) or Forces can use techs on them. Grenades are AMAZING. Let's not talk DPS shit; they're just so fucking useful, it's not even funny.

They're also really great against the big enemies with multiple parts ala Polavara/Kog Nadd. Let's not forgot about how amazing Dugrega is. Good lord is it awesome.

<.< Use a Laser Cannon with Mayalee Prism, you'll see it's almost 90% more effective on the "Cornering" stuff then a Grenader, sence you can EFFECTIVELY herd them with the Laser Cannon's wide beam radius and peircing power, but, as to the fact I've never used Boma Dugrega, I have only used the normal attributed PA's, I cannot formally say it's full power. But perhaps I may miss something, like mabye using Mayalee and a Grenader clash combo.

Still, I keep a Grenader handy, just never using it often. <.< Like I said, if it got the low Diga Arc, and the ability to hit enemies, it'd be more useful.

BIGHEAD
Oct 25, 2007, 07:48 PM
you no this new grenade launcher the guitar case thing is it that good and can you obtain it through getting 10/10 on all c rank missions?

ta

Nyreal
Oct 25, 2007, 08:38 PM
Mechguns. Oh wait...