PDA

View Full Version : PT vs AF discussion

SolomonGrundy
Oct 24, 2007, 04:11 PM
So, I have a human, male...he was basically a mule, until Ie saw the huge increases ProTranser recived in AoI. I decided to jump on the badwagon. Using AF was never a thought. At the time, AFs had zero trap use, and the weapon selection was...different (though I'd rather have macine guns than cards any day of the week).

anyway...

When I compare the two jobs, I come up with the following:
Transers EX traps, and large number of S ranks, but odd/low stats, is at odds with itself. Shotguns are great, but require high ATA. Same with grenades.
Melee weapon selection is good, but with lower ATP, and level 30 skills, there are some issues too. EX traps seems perfect, but you cannot attack while they are going off.

AF on the other hand, lacks showy S ranks. You get 1 handed weapons. The DoT traps are wonderful, but spear and sword are fighting type mainstays - especially vs bosses, where traps cannot help. Stats are great - that much you cannot complain about. And they are NOT FiGunners, as job I have come to despise.

If these were your two choices which would you favor, and why. Keep in mind, this is for an alt. alt. alt. so will uaally be a lower level,lesser played character

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2007-10-24 14:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2007-10-24 14:17 ]</font>

Rasputin
Oct 24, 2007, 04:13 PM
I would have to take AF. I'm a guy who likes high stats. Low stats just make me sad. Of course, I also side with AF because of the potential that I see in the slicer. That weapon looks straight-up badass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rasputin on 2007-10-24 14:51 ]</font>

panzer_unit
Oct 24, 2007, 04:21 PM
For an alt? Acrofighter!

PA's to 40 and bullets to 30 is a LOT less leveling (for a character with usable skill set at max lvl) than the other way around.
You don't have to run around collecting showy S-ranks. With all those low-ATP weapons it barely matters if you're using 5* w/ grinds or 9*, especially with PP as basically a non-issue on melee weapons.
WIN BUTTON WIN BUTTON WIN BUTTON gameplay makes for a character who won't suck up all your attention and end up becoming your main.

AC9breaker
Oct 24, 2007, 04:22 PM
On 2007-10-24 14:13, Rasputin wrote:
YOU CANNOT WHAT? Please, don't leave me in suspense.

/ lmao

He was going to say you cannot attack while the EX trap is detonated.

We'll I'll tell you this. Slicers are unbelievably broken. Since only Acrofighters get an S with Slicers I'll assume they'll be the new clinch hitters so to speak.

Don't play PT simple as that. If you didn't have enough desire to play it before it's not going to be any different in AotI.

CelestialBlade
Oct 25, 2007, 06:06 AM
Acrofighter ftw. I personally love one-handed weapons, so I see AF being up there with GT as my two favorite classes. Single Claws are utter rage, and I think we all know how insane Slicers are going to be. AND you get some pretty crazy stats. Sign me up.

Rizen
Oct 25, 2007, 07:34 AM
I personally think you would be better off with Acrofighter. Personally, I will be using Acrofighter as my secondary class on my PT.

Pillan
Oct 25, 2007, 08:15 AM
I say you should base your opinion more on whether you want to play the class than how well it will perform. Ask yourself “do I like 1 hand weapons or 2 hand weapons more?” and choose based on your answer to that.

SolomonGrundy
Oct 25, 2007, 10:54 AM
uh, which weapons I matters less than if I can effectively use them. As a PT Grenades and Shotguns have low ATA modifier for thier bullets - I can imagine missing with them...often.

I'd miss the EX traps for sure.

As a AF, my main concerns are if shadoogs will end up being worthwhile. And if I will miss the neat-o S rank factor

panzer_unit
Oct 25, 2007, 12:12 PM
Access to SE3 Zoldeel says you'll be ok as a PT with those bullets.
No fortegunner, but ok.

SolomonGrundy
Oct 25, 2007, 12:20 PM
@ pazer, right, it's just the time needed to zodeel, THEN switch to whatever I really want to use might = annoyance.

*might*

I played a FOmar in PSO...that class was highly excellent once you had the right weapons/armor/unit etc)

ProTranser is the same way. with great gear, the class shines. With average gear, it's a pain in the ass.

AF seems to go the other way.

panzer_unit
Oct 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
The thing is that you don't need to zoldeel EVERYTHING... EVP varies pretty widely and there are a limited number of monsters that pop enough 0's to be worth switching weapons for.

When it comes to grenades Boma Duranga is quite accurate... 87%? ... probably going to be my preferred attack for actual damage sake rather than knockdown + status. Unskilled grenades are almost an ultimate PA of their own, 100% ATA modifier is awesome for guns, super cheap for PP, and they still have arguably the weapon's most useful effect: mass knockback.

chibiLegolas
Oct 25, 2007, 12:37 PM
I'd say go PT for your alt. After playing PSO for so long, I've learned that my bank/mule characters are there to play around with the rares I find, but can't equip on my main.
Other than that, I agree with Pillan. You prefer 1 handed weapons or 2 handed? That's the main differences between the 2 classes at first glance.

mll
Oct 25, 2007, 05:12 PM
I'd go AF just because like you say your not going to be putting huge ammounts of time into this character. PT takes a lot of time and effort to get to a point of being good, Af doesn't.

xennec
Oct 25, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'd also say AF. Protranser can be a truly amazing class, but it requires a LOT of time leveling and learning the playstyle to be effective. In my experience as a PT the only accuracy issues I have are with axe and grenades. As a lvl81 PT10 male beast I have no unfixable issues with shotgun or any weapon other than the two I mentioned.

I am also expecting AF to become the new FG, so be prepared to have a lot of unexperienced new players having the same class. (You stated you hate FG and I assume the reason is ignorant players)

So in conclusion what I expect in AoI:
AF= The new FG having a "win button"
PT= Can be an amazing addition to any team if given time to lvl and learn the odd playstyle.

So if you don't plan on playing your alt that much, then yeah I'd say AF.

edit: grammar issue

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xennec on 2007-10-25 16:07 ]</font>