PDA

View Full Version : Oh snapple.

McLaughlin
Oct 26, 2007, 02:04 PM
Death Note is airing on my local cartoon channel. Didn't know there was a dubbed version around.

Proof. (http://www.ytv.com/programming/schedule/)

Banish
Oct 26, 2007, 02:10 PM
Is that a good thing or a bad thing for you...?

NPCMook
Oct 26, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cartoon Network's Adult Swim will be airing the dubbed Death Note in place of bleach in November

Weeaboolits
Oct 26, 2007, 02:19 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/Ronin_Cooper/Forum/ryukhelyeh.jpg

Katrina
Oct 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
On 2007-10-26 12:12, NPCMook wrote:
Cartoon Network's Adult Swim will be airing the dubbed Death Note in place of bleach in November

Meh, I'm a Bleach fan, but could not get used to the NA voices. (I still watch the JP subbed episodes). I'm looking forward to the transition.

mizukage
Oct 26, 2007, 06:57 PM
On 2007-10-26 12:04, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Death Note is airing on my local cartoon channel. Didn't know there was a dubbed version around.

Proof. (http://www.ytv.com/programming/schedule/)

Death Note is not all that good. [spoiler]The protagonist begins off as heroic, yet to turn into the ultimate villian midway into the series.[/spoiler[ It was quite disappointing actually, but maybe you will like it.

-
Hey use spoiler tags so you don't get flamed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-11-01 23:48 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Oct 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
I thought it was pretty interesting how he was corrupted by the Death Note, actually. Especially when he gave up the notebook for a while and his personality reverted, it was an interesting contrast and a bit of an insight into human nature.

Nyreal
Oct 26, 2007, 08:05 PM
Yes... Death Note is an amazing anime. Too bad I'm never going to watch the dub.

I shall, however, read the manga.

Weeaboolits
Oct 26, 2007, 08:13 PM
The dub isn't that bad actually, I watched the first ep on the AS site.

InfinityXXX
Nov 1, 2007, 09:25 AM
I saw the second episode....

..I only watched it to see how they handled the voice acting, and the NA voice actors were good enough..but I doubt i'll probably watch the american version unless it jsut happens to be on my TV screen.

lol, i'm starting to think, do anyone watch NA dubbed anime?

DizzyDi
Nov 1, 2007, 09:41 AM
I do.
The only stuff I watch with subtitles are foreign martial arts flicks cause the dubs usually suck donkey balls in those, and they don't even lipsync so it just takes me out of the experience.
But in general Enligsh VA > Japanese VA. Extended periods of listening to japanese gets on my nerves, especially when they have those animus with the high-pitched hyper girls. Like that one red-headed broad from Bleach, Orohime or whatever he name is. I also like English cause ya know...Its my native language, maybe I'm weird like that.

Also: I've heard of Death Note but never looked into it until it came on [AS]. Saw the two episodes they aired, I'm diggin it so far. SPECIAL THANKS TO MIZUKAGE FOR THAT UNTAGGED SPOILER. I'LL BE LOOKING FOWARD TO THAT EPISODE
-
Hey, no flames.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-11-01 21:52 ]</font>

VanHalen
Nov 1, 2007, 09:47 AM
Almost every anime I watched was dubbed. For many shows or games the Japanese VA sound funny to me. Also as Dizzy said the high pitched girl voice is pretty annoying. If I have no choice, and I wanted to see the show, I'd watch the non dubbed one.

Now on the Death Note topic. The show seems pretty good so far. I see why Ronin speaks highly of it.

InfinityXXX
Nov 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
well yea, i do prefer certain dubbs over the originals. (Full Meatal ALchemist and Samurai Champloo being my favorite dubbs)

As for DN, i'm only on episode 4 of the original anime and episode 2 of the dubb.

and yes, it is nice to watch a dub as long as they make the voices ....descent.

I remember some years ago i was dissapointed at One Piece/SHaman King when they came to america. (though i was told they changed the american one piece actors...can someone verify this?

DizzyDi
Nov 1, 2007, 10:09 AM
Saw One Piece once and regretted it. OMG that shit was horrible. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
One Piece is the EMBODIMENT of everything that is wrong with ANNIE MAY.
Never saw the Shaman King ANNIE MAY, read the manga for a bit. It was alright.

VanHalen
Nov 1, 2007, 10:11 AM
On 2007-11-01 07:54, InfinityXXX wrote:
(though i was told they changed the american one piece actors...can someone verify this?

Yes they did. They still suck. Then again I wasn't really much of a fan of the show.

InfinityXXX
Nov 1, 2007, 10:16 AM
On 2007-11-01 08:11, VanHalen wrote:

(though i was told they changed the american one piece actors...can someone verify this?

Yes they did. They still suck. Then again I wasn't really much of a fan of the show.

lol, and after they changed the actors....they still can't get it together..*sigh*.....

....i swear thats worse than hearing that they finally replaced Ash's voice from Pokemon

NPCMook
Nov 1, 2007, 01:40 PM
Truthfully English voice actors are iffy at best, for Japanese anime at least. When it comes to American anime/cartoons they are great... because lets face it Bugs Bunny asking Elmer Fudd "Whats up Doc.?" in Japanese would sound funny... but also at the same time not seem right at all

Weeaboolits
Nov 1, 2007, 01:58 PM
On 2007-11-01 11:40, NPCMook wrote:
Truthfully English voice actors are iffy at best, for Japanese anime at least. When it comes to American anime/cartoons they are great... because lets face it Bugs Bunny asking Elmer Fudd "Whats up Doc.?" in Japanese would sound funny... but also at the same time not seem right at all http://youtube.com/watch?v=ihQZfSesBEc

Sord
Nov 1, 2007, 03:46 PM
On 2007-11-01 08:11, VanHalen wrote:

I thought Funimaiton's were even worse then 4Kids's. Only one I could tolerate was Zoro.

Anyways, one piece aside, I've seen the end of episode one of Deat Note in english (I've already watched up to 18 on japanese, then quit at the time and haven't gone back.) The voice acting seems fine IMO.

As per voice acting in general, I generally prefer to watch anything in its original language with subtiltes. For starters, I don't have hearing in one ear, and have to watch some Enlgish speaking moves with subtitles or blast the TV/PC loud enough everyone in the house can hear it (which isn't good.) Second, while I wouldn't say I'm a purist, I often prefer things in their original format, or rather, "as intended." Though I do agree with Dizzy about high pitched characters being very annoying.

Kent
Nov 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
English voice acting in anime is invariably horrible in all anime ever, obviously, because people on the internet (where everyone can be an expert on anything) are always correct in all manners, and therefore, english voice acting in anime is factually bad, despite how wrong the person stating so is.

...Right?

I've seen a few episodes of Death Note. After getting a nearly-endless barrage of "liek omg, Death Note is so frekking awsum!!!!1," I figured it couldn't hurt to see it when it aired on Adult Swim.

...Not impressed. It's ... an anime. I totally don't see enough of those. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

So far it's nothing too special - it's just not mass-produced crap that gets zerged out the door (as far as I can tell).

Link5
Nov 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
If I watch anime at all, it's generally dubbed. Maybe I'm just biased because the only anime I've ever had real interest in was Cowboy Bebop, which has an amazing dub. I almost feel like not understanding what the characters are saying without reading it is more apt to keep you from getting into the show more than listening to what everyone considers the inferior English dub.

In regards to Death Note, I've also caught the first two episodes and to me it's surprisingly interesting so far.

Nyreal
Nov 1, 2007, 07:46 PM
Death Note is amazing. But it's so suspenseful that it might behoove you to just procure it in Japanese.

Schubalts
Nov 1, 2007, 09:06 PM
On 2007-11-01 13:46, Sord wrote:
I thought Funimaiton's were even worse then 4Kids's.

Funimation didn't utterly destroy everything it dubbed, like 4Kids did. One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh speak for that.

Examples of the horror that is 4Kids:

One Piece > Juice, instead of beer/whiskey/whatever? WATERGUNS?!

YGO > Shadowzone instead of outright dying? Cutting out guns but Not the pointing of the now invisible guns? Using an invisible knife? Cutting THE ENTIRE FIRST SEASON?!

I'm mad now. I need some juice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

TetsuyaHikari
Nov 2, 2007, 02:27 AM
I heard about Death Note airing on Cartoon Network and I dreaded it, but..I heard a little bit of the dub and it's TOLERABLE. It could have been done a lot worse, but fact is..it won't even touch the greatness of the Japanese dub.

Putting that aside..ahem..what's with all the One Piece hate? Oh, I know! It's because of what they showed you on 4Kids and Cartoon Network maybe?! It's stuff like this that makes people turn away from the series, because Americans feel the need to change things when it is brought over into the States.

I'm up to episode 165 at the moment and I'm loving it. Why? Because I'm watching it in its original format. A LOT of the puns get taken out when being brought over to the States and a LOT of the stuff just isn't the same.

Anyway, I think it's a really great series. It has comedy, drama, action, suspense, all kinds of things that would help keep you hooked. Now granted, this is all just my personal opinion, but still..America did screw over this anime pretty bad to have a lot of people turn away from it or say, "One Piece sucks!".

That aside..I'd like to say that I personally enjoyed Death Note. A LOT of mind games go on, making it really interesting. This is one of those animes where you're not really quite sure how it will turn out.

I remember being at the edge of my seat on SEVERAL occasions after watching an episode of Death Note, because it can be so suspenseful, but if you're not the type to follow things well or enjoy lots of talking, then this may not be the anime for you.

Anyway! To whoever is keeping track of this on Adult Swim or whatever channel it airs on in your area, I hope you enjoy it and hope the dub doesn't turn horrible on you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kikumaru on 2007-11-02 00:29 ]</font>

mizukage
Nov 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
On 2007-11-01 17:46, Nyreal wrote:
Death Note is amazing. But it's so suspenseful that it might behoove you to just procure it in Japanese.

The beginning is awesome, midway starts to disappoint, the ending is even worse...

Weeaboolits
Nov 2, 2007, 11:34 AM
The ending was weird, I both liked and disliked it.

Scrub
Nov 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
I watched a few episodes in the japanese one, subtitled(not the beginning some random ones my friends told me were SO GOOD) and I hated the shit.

Watching the English version isn't half bad, maybe becaues im seeing it from the beginning or maybe it's because like Dizzy said, japanese chick's voices make me want to kill myself, and the male's generally arent too much better.

I guess it's OK but usually when I watch an anime I want to see two guys shouting about their power levels, so this is different. no GOOD AT FIGHTING moments so far but it's better than watching CSI.

Sord
Nov 2, 2007, 03:03 PM
On 2007-11-01 19:06, Schubalts wrote:

On 2007-11-01 13:46, Sord wrote:
I thought Funimaiton's were even worse then 4Kids's.

Funimation didn't utterly destroy everything it dubbed, like 4Kids did. One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh speak for that.

Examples of the horror that is 4Kids:

One Piece > Juice, instead of beer/whiskey/whatever? WATERGUNS?!

YGO > Shadowzone instead of outright dying? Cutting out guns but Not the pointing of the now invisible guns? Using an invisible knife? Cutting THE ENTIRE FIRST SEASON?!

I'm mad now. I need some juice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I was refering to the quality and tones of the voices themselves, not the blatant censorship, editing, and so on and so forth.

Weeaboolits
Nov 3, 2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I'd like dubs better if it sounded like they were trying half the time, though some are really good. Whether I prefer it depends on which I heard first and the quality. ;o

Fir instance, I only watch Cowboy Bebop dubbed, since I'm used to it, and it was done well, the JP sounds weird to me. On the other hand, I cannot stand the dub for Strawberry Marshmallow. Genshiken the dub isn't that bad from what I heard, but I think the JP voices fit the characters better. Also some series, the jokes need to be changed significantly for the dub. D: