PDA

View Full Version : Pick your PS2 game!!!

mizukage
Oct 30, 2007, 10:33 PM
Which of the above do you like???

Each genre has 3 examples:

Action = Armored Core 3, Avatar, SOCOM 3
Adventure = Genji, Kingdom of Hearts 2, Resident Evil 4
Driving = Gran Turismo 4, Hot Wheels, Juiced 2
Puzzle = BeatMania IIDX, EyeToy, PuyoPuyo Fever
RPG = Drakengard 2, Final Fantasy X, Xenosaga Episode III
Simulation = Armored Core NB, Medal of Honor FC, Sims 2
Sports = 2006 Fifa World Cup, NHL 2K8, NFL Blitz Pro
Strategy = Front Mission 5, Langrisser 3, Seaman 2

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mizukage on 2007-10-31 19:06 ]</font>

foamcup
Oct 30, 2007, 10:57 PM
Who still uses PS2? Mine's been disconnected for like six months, lol.

DanMalak
Oct 30, 2007, 11:59 PM
Bah, PS2 sucks, It's all about the Wii & PC (maybe a lil xbox360 on the side for some online with friends)

Eihwaz
Oct 31, 2007, 12:02 AM
It's all about the Guitar Hero.

TetsuyaHikari
Oct 31, 2007, 12:08 AM
This thread is going to burst into flames within the next two days probably. They always do.

"PS2 sucks!"

"BS d00d! PS2 is better than Wii AND 360!"

And so forth.

These never accomplish anything. Anyway..I'm not voting, since this is pretty pointless to begin with.

*leaves before the flame war begins*

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Saner
Oct 31, 2007, 02:00 AM
I still have PS2 and use many great games for it.

but ya Xbox360 to me is the "PS2 of the future", since like PS2, it's ahead of the competition (in US), larger library of new games, stronger 3rd party support, better online service and features, and Mass Effect is going to destroy everything the other consoles got. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Oct 31, 2007, 02:20 AM
I see no games listed. Only genres, and those genres aren't exclusive to the PS2.

I chose Adventure, as they've always been my favorite genre. So if you had simplemindedly peg it to a platform, I guess you could say PC as Adventure games have never translated well over to consoles or are far too easy since "lateral thinking" isn't very high on your typical console gamer's skill list. It's not exactly like Halo promotes thinking outside the box.

If the first franchise that pops into your mind when thinking "Adventure" is Zelda or Metroid, then don't even bother replying to this.

Katrina
Oct 31, 2007, 04:28 AM
In terms of favorite genre, RPG's, regardless of system.

amtalx
Oct 31, 2007, 08:30 AM
I still use my PS2 for guitar hero, and I still have some unplayed PS2 games...but tearing myself away from PSU can prove difficult at times.

Neith
Oct 31, 2007, 08:45 AM
I only use my PS2 for the Guitar Hero games now, heh. My Wii sits collecting dust, until Guitar Hero III and SSBB get released. Guess I'm turning into a PC gamer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

As for genre (you didn't actually list any games?), I'd say driving and RPG are my favourites.

Turambar
Oct 31, 2007, 09:29 AM
Considering the PS2's major success for over 7 years now, I'm pretty sure all arguments of "PS2 Sucks" is just anti-fan boys.

And I'm gonna have to go for the RPG Genre.

Jaspaller
Oct 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
More than one type. My PS2 needs some loving (I have lots of games I need to finish) but that's getting impossible thanks to PSU. Wii needs some loving too but I unhooked that for my PS2 for the time being.

BlackHat
Oct 31, 2007, 11:29 AM
I only play war like games on my ps2.

Not sure if thats simulation or action <.<

Socom, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty etc.

Out_Kast
Oct 31, 2007, 02:01 PM
My PS2 is still my main console http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Blitzkommando
Oct 31, 2007, 04:30 PM
My PS2 has been collecting dust for months now. Well, all of my consoles have actually. I've become a very heavy PC gamer over the last couple years, partly because for a long while I used a capture card to play game video through my PC monitor. With ATI deciding not to support the TV Wonder Pro in Vista I just decided to pull it out and that's essentially when I stopped playing console games. I might pick them back up again with my new monitor coming in November, if not just to see how it handles component video. I know I will be playing the Wii quite a bit once SSBB comes out though.

As for genre, the only genre that made the PS2 worth looking into, for me, was the incredible amount of RPGs.

But, even with such great titles, the loading times killed the PS2 (and PSX) for me. Sorry, but it seemed like every ten minutes of gameplay was interrupted by 20-30 seconds of 'prettified' loading screens. Even the longest load times on PC are shorter than the shortest on PS2. Again, it's personal preference there but coming from PC gaming it was something I wasn't, and am still not, used to having.

mizukage
Oct 31, 2007, 08:49 PM
On 2007-10-31 00:20, Sinue_v2 wrote:
If the first franchise that pops into your mind when thinking "Adventure" is Zelda or Metroid, then don't even bother replying to this.

Adventure? Actually, I consider Metroid as a shooter game, whereas real adventure games include: Alone in the Dark 4, Resident Evil 4, Clock Tower 3, Fatal Frame 3, Kingdom of Hearts 2, Tomb Raider series, Silent Hill series, etc...

Edited: Since when did the ps2 get Zelda and Metroid games???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mizukage on 2007-10-31 19:07 ]</font>

Kent
Oct 31, 2007, 09:34 PM
On 2007-10-31 18:49, mizukage wrote:

On 2007-10-31 00:20, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Adventure? Actually, I consider Metroid as a shooter game

...Metroid is a full-on adventure game. :/

whereas real adventure games include: Alone in the Dark 4, Resident Evil 4, Clock Tower 3, Fatal Frame 3

Survival/horror

Kingdom of Hearts 2

Action/RPG

Tomb Raider series

Got one right!

Silent Hill series

...Horror.

So... Yeah...

/vote RPG

Sinue_v2
Oct 31, 2007, 11:21 PM
...Metroid is a full-on adventure game. :/

The similarities between Metroid and Halo are far greater than the similarities between Metroid and Monkey Island. Try again.

The "genre" of Adventure was highjacked by console tards who couldn't understand the concept of a puzzle game without shit-tons of action or Tetrisish affairs. Still, while the genre has slumped heavily since about 95-on (in the US anyhow, as I understand they are still fairly popular in Europe and Japan), it is still a viable genre and far older than even the original Metroid on the NES. While Metroid does incorperate some Adventure elements (and no, exploration is not one of them), it is still primarily a hybrid game at best.

Also, Survival Horror isn't a genre. See, genre's in games were created to give a quick mental image of a type of gameplay style, be it shooter, platformer, action, etc, and their subgenres. "Survival Horror" doesn't describe a gameplay style, but more or less describes a theme or atmosphere - similar to movies (Comedy, Action, Drama, Horror, etc). It's a buzz-word, really, that Capcom just tossed in there to try to remove the stigma associated with poor adventure game sales from their new Adventure/Action game. (The same thing happened with Tomb Raider, although it's far more action than adventure) You'll note that Resident Evil mimicks the Alone in the Dark series almost to the point of plagarism. Even their control scheme is the same. Alone in the Dark was developed and marketed as an Adventure game with action elements.

If Metroid wants to be included in the Adventure genre, I'm sure it can create it's own niche and subgenre. But it definately does not fit in the Adventure genre proper along with staples of the Adventure like King's Quest, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Legend of Kyrandia, Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.

If you were to go up to someone who loved Metroid Prime and wanted to try more "Adventure" games - and you handed them a copy of Still Life or The Longest Journey, they'd likely wonder what the fuck you were smoking to think the games were anything at all similar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-10-31 21:26 ]</font>

mizukage
Nov 1, 2007, 12:22 AM
Metroid http://www.armchairempire.com/images/Reviews/gamecube/metroid-prime-2-echoes/metroid-prime-2-echoes-2.jpg
Monkey Island http://www.deafgamers.com/emk1.jpg

Surely, there are great many differences!!!

Noblewine
Nov 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
For me it's

Action/Adventure and RPG. That's all I have for the PS2. Most of the RPG's are overlooked. I also have Vietiful Joe and Okami which are pretty good.