PDA

View Full Version : GC: Question on dorm room connections.

Saph_II
Jan 2, 2003, 03:28 PM
So I got a GC and PSO for x-mas, and i'm stoked about playing it online. But... i'm wondering if I might encounter any special problems with trying to play it from my dorm room. Anybody play from a college connection?

Also, since my home and dorm are different connections, if I went ahead and got my HL here at the house on this connection, would I have to re-do anything when I take it back to college with me?

Any help or comments at all would be greatly appreciated.

milk
Jan 2, 2003, 03:40 PM
I use my GCN at school and since we are behind a proxy and the way it is set up, you have to authorize through a web browser, what I have to do is authorize daily through my computer, then manually set that IP on the GCN and it is fine afterwards.

It varies from school to school, but unless you need to authorize, DHCP should be fine.

Saph_II
Jan 2, 2003, 03:55 PM
Alright... I kinda know what your saying, but I kinda don't. Anyway, I probably would have never thought of that if you hadn't have mentioned it.

Thanks.

Some additional info that might help:

I can play Halo with other people on campus, but not off-campus. Not sure if that's a proxy thing or just how Halo is.... i'm retarded, so try not to hold it against me if this seems too simple.

milk
Jan 2, 2003, 05:14 PM
Halo can't be played online, as far as I know.

I don't have an XBox though.

Saph_II
Jan 2, 2003, 06:11 PM
I didn't think it could...

I guess it would have been considered the same thing as just connecting two xboxes together.

Anyway... anybody know anything about getting the HL here at home then transfering it to the dorm?

Tavia
Jan 2, 2003, 06:13 PM
On 2003-01-02 15:11, Saph_II wrote:
I didn't think it could...

I guess it would have been considered the same thing as just connecting two xboxes together.

Anyway... anybody know anything about getting the HL here at home then transfering it to the dorm?

You can buy your HL anywhere, as long as you purchase it with the same serial number and access ID of the copy of PSO you'll be using at your dorm on your GC.

Run-on sentences are fun.

Tavia
Jan 2, 2003, 06:16 PM
On 2003-01-02 12:40, milk wrote:
I use my GCN at school and since we are behind a proxy and the way it is set up, you have to authorize through a web browser, what I have to do is authorize daily through my computer, then manually set that IP on the GCN and it is fine afterwards.

Does your school server reboot on a nightly basis? Or do you just reboot your computer frequently? I know there's really no point to me asking, but I'm just curious. I'm guessing that you get a new IP each time that's assigned to you by the server, and that nothing's static, from the sound of it. Is your GC using your computer as a server?