PDA

View Full Version : Has the tradition

Noblewine
Nov 2, 2007, 04:10 PM
Of reading the manuals died over the years. Please tell me that it hasn't, I mean I started to read a bit more since I would play blind and get pwned like in games like Battletoaids. I'm hope it hasn't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Noblewine on 2007-11-02 14:13 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Nov 2, 2007, 05:24 PM
I still tend to read game manuals, but unfortunately the art of entertaining and informative game manuals worth reading was lost long long ago.

http://www.wiw.org/~jess/sq5gicover.jpg

http://manuals.legendsofglory.com/FACS2.pdf
Famous Adventurer's Correspondence School, the manual for Quest for Glory II. Worth a read through, even if you haven't played the series. (Note: A seperate "Technical Manual" was also included, which is a lot more "dry" and well - technical.)

mizukage
Nov 2, 2007, 05:52 PM
Game manuals, I never read any of it, unless I am on a long journey back from the store. Still, that is rare. Most new rpg games nowadays have in-game tutorials that is about 10-15 minutes long. What's the point of reading the manual for 30 minutes, when the in-game one only lasts for a short 15 minutes? However, for decorative purposes, game makers should continue packaging games with game manuals.

Blue-Hawk
Nov 2, 2007, 08:33 PM
Where's the fun in reading the manual when you can learn things as you go? I, personally, hate manuals. Not as much as mandatory tutorial areas/levels, though.

Sgt_Shligger
Nov 2, 2007, 09:01 PM
On 2007-11-02 15:52, mizukage wrote:
Game manuals, I never read any of it, unless I am on a long journey back from the store. Still, that is rare. Most new rpg games nowadays have in-game tutorials that is about 10-15 minutes long. What's the point of reading the manual for 30 minutes, when the in-game one only lasts for a short 15 minutes? However, for decorative purposes, game makers should continue packaging games with game manuals.

Because most people can read the pamphlet in less then 30 minutes. . . It's not a DnD handbook, it's a game manual. Also, have you ever SEEN the Final Fantasy Tactics tutorial http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif?

Skuda
Nov 2, 2007, 09:21 PM
Game manuals need more art, and more story in them.

Remember the old Ocarina of Time manual? That's a shining example of what manuals should be. It had a tonne of art, prologue, and background to each race in the game. What more could you ask for?

KodiaX987
Nov 2, 2007, 09:29 PM
I read manuals, fully knowing that doing so in this modern day and age is a sin against God and is punishable by immediate crucifixion.

Turambar
Nov 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
Guild Wars manuals are thus far the most engaging that I have read in recent memory.

Solstis
Nov 2, 2007, 11:48 PM
Blizzard tends to whip up a good manual, and I remember the Age of Empires games having hours of historical factoids to pour through.

Arcanum had a great manual with a lot of short stories, basically. <3. Bethedesta games don't even really need manuals, considering the stupidly long tutorial with Oblivion, though the insane number of books in-game make it worthwhile.

I wish that I had the Galactic Empires II physical manual, but I got the download only version (stupid shipping/lack of availability within 30 miles).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-11-02 21:50 ]</font>

Sord
Nov 3, 2007, 12:44 AM
i tend to read manuals when I get one (I often just rent, which rarely ever gives a manual.) I read fast, and only need a couple minutes to go over most manuals. I don't need some 10 min tutorial.

TetsuyaHikari
Nov 3, 2007, 07:07 AM
90% of the time, I won't bother flipping through them. I'd rather learn things as I go. Although, if I import a game, I usually flip through it cause of the crazy artwork they put in theirs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kylie
Nov 8, 2007, 03:24 PM
Only when I'm bored. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Part of the fun of an online game is having someone show you the ropes, in my opinion anyways.

Neith
Nov 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
I still think Guild Wars Special Edition was a great idea. You got the manual, as usual, but also a thick booklet containing backstory in detail, and a book containing various pieces of artwork/design for the game. While I didn't read the backstory much, the artwork booklet was a nice addition.

In general, I don't read manuals though, I tend to pick up games quick anyway.

ulyoth
Nov 8, 2007, 05:03 PM
When i was a kid i would read the manuals when i was sent to bed, now not so much. Although i am gonna read Fight Night Round 3's...just bought it second hand and first match was a draw, dont know what the hell im doing :S

Randomness
Nov 8, 2007, 05:39 PM
Never, unless its a long ride home.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 8, 2007, 07:37 PM
If I like a game enough, have a feeling that I'll miss something cool, get confused or forget something a tutorial taught me, I'll read the manual. I do hate HAVING to read a manual though...but what I hate even more is having to look in an online guide for something that SHOULD be in the manual, like status effects! (I'm looking right at you Hellgate manual!)

The best manual I recall seeing as of late was to We Love Katamari. It's designed simply and stylishly (and perhaps childishly) in a manner perfectly befitting the game.