PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC: High CPU usage thanks to PSU

The_Gio
Nov 2, 2007, 11:20 PM
This bearly started happening not so long ago, but, everytime now I run PSU, my CPU usage goes up and the game itself slows down and gets choppy through out most of the time im playing. Anyone ever have this problem? and if so, how did u fix it.

Also,I dont want to reinstall because I have a very slow connection so id have to leave the computer on for a good 4 hours since my broadband's tops dl speed is 27kb/s.

Dragwind
Nov 3, 2007, 04:10 PM
Might be the current GameGuard revision PSU is using. It's been causing numerous lag issues amongst PSU and other games. Ever since that GG update I can no longer run the game on frameskip 1. It's impossible no matter what I do.

I've reinstalled PSU, changed TONS of settings, just about everything that's possible to mess with. Nothing. I even had the same exact problem when I played AoI due to using the same GG revision.

Neuvires
Nov 3, 2007, 08:39 PM
Turn off post effects. It worked wonders for me.
Another possible option is that your CPU could be overheating or that some memory has gone bad. But I'd try messing with the settings first.

ZeroVer01
Nov 4, 2007, 10:46 PM
Try turning all of the background programs off, that should decrease some of the cpu and memory usage.

The_Gio
Nov 5, 2007, 10:26 PM
On 2007-11-03 18:39, Neuvires wrote:
Turn off post effects. It worked wonders for me.
Another possible option is that your CPU could be overheating or that some memory has gone bad. But I'd try messing with the settings first.

On 2007-11-04 19:46, ZeroVer01 wrote:
Try turning all of the background programs off, that should decrease some of the cpu and memory usage.

Well before this started happening I was able to run PSU with Post Effects, soo why shouldnt I now, how do I check if my CPU is overheating or if some memory has gone bad?

How do I turn off all of the backround programs off, Is there a easier way, or just go to say, my anti virus program,and close that?

ZeroVer01
Nov 6, 2007, 01:41 AM
Just close any background programs like chat programs, antivirus, media players, etc...

If you want to test your ram, try this site:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

As for your cpu, you could try testing it with orthos:

http://sp2004.fre3.com/

As for overheating, you could see if your computer is overheating by looking at the temperatures with:

Core Temp

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

And Everest, which also shows GPU, ambient, and HDD temperatures.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

You might also want to check that you don't have any spyware, viruses, or trojans.

The_Gio
Nov 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
heh. I just noticed my settings were changed >.>; everythings back to normal now, it was set to Hardware instead of CPU and MipMapping was off. Which led to some experimenting, which showed me if mipmapping isnt turned on, I get sloppy performance. I wonder why the settings we're change,TY for the help though.

BaconZero
Nov 19, 2007, 03:33 PM
On 2007-11-03 14:10, Dragwind wrote:
Might be the current GameGuard revision PSU is using. It's been causing numerous lag issues amongst PSU and other games. Ever since that GG update I can no longer run the game on frameskip 1. It's impossible no matter what I do.

I've reinstalled PSU, changed TONS of settings, just about everything that's possible to mess with. Nothing. I even had the same exact problem when I played AoI due to using the same GG revision.

Bah!!, i hate the new GG update, i know what you mean man. It literally "KILLS" some of my programs and stops them from running when i close PSU (on Vista)...totally causes slow down till GG is cleared from the RAM. And now, it gets slow in game when GG starts sucking up the leaks in the internet browers too(IE and FireFox) when i surfing PSOW and PSUpedia. So, Sega should do something about that...lol.

On 2007-11-07 08:49, The_Gio wrote:
heh. I just noticed my settings were changed >.>; everythings back to normal now, it was set to Hardware instead of CPU and MipMapping was off. Which led to some experimenting, which showed me if mipmapping isnt turned on, I get sloppy performance. I wonder why the settings we're change,TY for the help though.

Well, i know when they introduced the second version the the options menu before launching the game, it caused the settings to be set back to default.