PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Galaxy thread

Sexy_Raine
Nov 7, 2007, 09:35 PM
Today, I took a little trip to game Gamestop and to my surprise there was a playable demo of Super Mario Galaxy. There were no people on it, so I decided to try it. There were six save file, three of them were used, so I started a new game from the beginning.

At the beginning, it starts off with Mario in the mushroom kingdom, when all of a sudden, Bowser comes on a large flying ship and shoots the town. When Mario see this, he tries to get quickly to the castle, but was too late. Bowser on his ship takes the whole castle from the ground away on his ship with peach in it of course. Mario tries to stop them, while he's in the castle in the air, when all of a sudden Kamek comes and blasts him off, falling into nothingness.

Later, Mario finds himself in a strange place after waking up. Some bunnies greet you, and if you catch them, they will tell you where you are. You are introduced to some of the moves and then you must help the lumas(which were bunnies at first) with a task. At the end, you will get your first Grand Star, which is basically the same as SM64's stars.

Mario will find himself in Comet observatory, which is SMG's hub, similar to the castle that Mario 64 had where you access all the areas. You will be greeted by a Peach-look-alike named Rosalina, who's wears blue instead of pink. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif . She will ask you to help her find the other Grand stars!

I stopped here, and then took a peek at the other files. There is was a part on it where you got to battle Bowser, but i won't say anymore.

The triple jump is back, and there is also a spin attack you can do when you shake the Wii-mote, and when you point it at the screen, you can shoot projectiles, which are you only get a limited amount. There is also the jump and stomp.

The environments are very nice. You are usually on a 3D spherical plane which constantly rotates as you run across it. This leads to some unique platforming never seen in other games.

From what I got to play, it was great. This may very well live up to Mario 64 IMO. Go check it out for yourself.

EDIT: I changed my thread to be a normal SMG discussion thread.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2007-11-08 19:20 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 7, 2007, 09:48 PM
Ohh yeah, I can't wait to try it. None of the Gamestops I've been to had playable Wii demo stations and there hasn't been anything good on the PS3 or 360 demo stations either. Still, I can't wait to play SMG since it seems pretty unique. I'd better hurry and finish SM64...

amtalx
Nov 8, 2007, 12:32 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on this. Although I hope its nothing like Mario 64, one of the worst games I've ever played IMO. Mario hasn't been fun since Yoshi was first introduced. Mario Sunshine made me cry. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Sexy_Raine
Nov 8, 2007, 12:52 AM
Well, the only similarities this has to SM64 is the Star collecting, some enemies like goombas, and certain maneuvers like triple jump and stomping.

The environment are fresh and futuristic, and look nothing like anything from SM64. There are still a few familiar things that are there like a (minor spoiler)ghost house with boos. I can safely say the environments are anything but dull, as you can run on walls and planes in all dimensions! Plus the wii-mote add a lot more depth the the gameplay.

That is the best comparison I can give without spoiling too much.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 8, 2007, 12:59 AM
How's the camera in SMG? I've died, lost races and just take longer to do certain things in SM64 simply because I have to fight the camera too much. (nothing like completely missing the finish flag because the camera didn't let me see it!)

Moo2u
Nov 8, 2007, 01:12 AM
I've only seen 2 reviews of it so far, one is 9.7/10 and the other is 9.8/10. Man...this game is gonna be sweet.

Randomness
Nov 8, 2007, 05:47 PM
Must... have...

Saner
Nov 8, 2007, 09:20 PM
until they make Luigi, Toad, and Peach selectable/playable,
SMB 2: Mario Madness is still the best game of this franchise. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sexy_Raine
Nov 8, 2007, 09:36 PM
Remember that SMB2 wasn't originally a Mario game at first. It was a game in Japan called doki Doki panic, and Nintendo changed it to have Mario characters when it came to NA. The real Super Mario Bros. 2 was never released in NA back then because Nintendo thought it would be too hard for us. If you played Lost Levels on Super Mario All Stars,(SNES) then you'd know it that it was true SMB2.

Either way I believe SMB3 > SMB2(NA), as I enjoy it for playing more like original super Mario Bros.

Para
Nov 8, 2007, 10:02 PM
Been listening to the music... pure love.

VioletSkye
Nov 8, 2007, 10:12 PM
So as to give me a reason to wipe the dust off of the Wii, I will definitely buy it and from what I've seen it looks like I might even enjoy it too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

@amtalx, I can't believe you didn't like Mario 64, that was one of my favorite games of all time lol. I do agree with you on Sunshine though, horrible game.

Split
Nov 8, 2007, 10:13 PM
Sub Machine Gun's going to be awesome. It recalls an almost miyazaki-type whimsey, but with a distinctly mario flavor. This is gonna be the one that brings everything Nintendo has learned about making 3d mario games from sm64 and sm sunshine together for an amazing experience. I just wish they would put it online as a downloadable demo...

Nyreal
Nov 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
Mwahaha. This is the reason to use my Wii. Along with Fire Emblem, Brawl, and Mario Kart. Finally, something truly amazing.

mizukage
Nov 9, 2007, 12:09 AM
Super Mario Galaxy, I will give it 9/10, but to be honest... I was never a Super Mario fan, just trying not to be biased. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

UnderscoreX
Nov 9, 2007, 03:54 AM
I really didn't want to buy a Wii until Christmas but this game is really testing my willpower.

amtalx
Nov 9, 2007, 07:37 AM
On 2007-11-08 19:12, VioletSkye wrote:

@amtalx, I can't believe you didn't like Mario 64, that was one of my favorite games of all time lol. I do agree with you on Sunshine though, horrible game.

I've found that Mario 64 is either a love or hate affair. Some people swear by it, others think it was a giant misstep. Personally I found the whole journey frustrating. Too much time spent doing nothing for this guy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amtalx on 2007-11-09 04:39 ]</font>

Moo2u
Nov 9, 2007, 07:51 AM
Sunshine was an ok game people! It just wasn't the best Mario game, which still makes it a great game none the less. (I was replying it a little while ago to get pumped up for Galaxy.)

On 2007-11-08 18:20, Saner wrote:
SMB 2: Mario Madness is still the best game of this franchise. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

MAJOR SPOILER!!!!!!!!!! MAAAAAAJOR!!!!!!

You can play Luigi in Galaxy

Saner
Nov 9, 2007, 06:29 PM
On 2007-11-09 04:51, Moo2u wrote:
Sunshine was an ok game people! It just wasn't the best Mario game, which still makes it a great game none the less. (I was replying it a little while ago to get pumped up for Galaxy.)

On 2007-11-08 18:20, Saner wrote:

MAJOR SPOILER!!!!!!!!!! MAAAAAAJOR!!!!!!

You can play Luigi in Galaxy

that's neat but

[spoiler] they should of made Peach playable as well. but ya it's too bad it seems like they made her helpless and needing rescue again. >_< [/spoilers] I miss Super Mario 2.

Moo2u
Nov 10, 2007, 01:53 AM
Nice job with the spoiler text there, btw. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 13, 2007, 08:37 PM
I got it today, and so far I'm loving it. I just cleared the first bunch of galaxies and it's looking like I won't take long to finish it, but what's there is FUN. And lots of it. It has a VERY unique feel to it, although having just finished Super Mario 64 the controls are familiar.

Oh, and because I reserved it at Gamestop...you know how they call you to let you know your game is there or gonna be there? Well, the call I got was barely intelligible at first, until I realized it was Mario saying stuff like like "It-sa me, Mario, and Im-ma at-ta Gamestop to tell you that SUPER MARIO GALAXY, WHOOHEE!! is there and thank you for buying my newest and greatest adventure, SUPER MARIO GALAXY, WHOOHEE!!" or something like that. It was the best preorder message I've ever heard and it made me feel like a kid who just got a (machine-recorded) message from the fat plumber himself. Whoever came up with that message was a genius.

VioletSkye
Nov 13, 2007, 08:55 PM
Picked up mine today also. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW if you get it at Toys R' Us, they give you a $25 gift card as a promo http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, yeah LOVE the game and I'm really glad I decided to get it. It definitely has a hint of that old Mario 64 feel and the levels so far have been great. I'm just now to the first "Boss" area (the purple galaxy that you need 8 stars to reach) and I can't wait to see more http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Moo2u
Nov 13, 2007, 10:03 PM
Daaaymn, I wish I got a call from Mario! I just got a call from a disgruntled EB employee saying, "Your game's in. Super Mario Galaxy. Ok bye." Seriously, it was so quick I hardly understood what he said. :s

I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be blown away. I think I get some kind of Mario coin with it for pre-ordering, or something...extras are always nice! I wish there was something like that for pre-ordering Twilight Princess of Metroid 3. Remember the golden cartrages with Zelda? Damn, it made you feel like the gaming elite to get one of those!

Kendrik
Nov 13, 2007, 11:09 PM
Preorder for the win!

Once I finally get to give it a run, I'll rave about... uh... I mean... discuss it here.

amtalx
Nov 14, 2007, 08:22 AM
I have to say, I'm more than pleased with this game. This is the first time Mario hasn't sucked in a LONG time.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 15, 2007, 08:48 PM
The game's initial holyshitthisissofuckingawesome wow factor has worn off. I've been able to go several hours to a day without playing some of it. XD
I'm still loving this game, at least when I'm playing it. With AoI imminent I might wind up having to rush through...nah. I'll take my time. I keep unlocking worlds much faster than I can clear them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and I often feel challenged even when I'm not getting my ass handed to me.

And, just a little more to add about that Mario Gamestop phone call...I got that call not long after getting the 120th star in SM64, kicking Bowser's ass one last time and having that THE END screen up. I know that's irrelevant, but that maybe somehow just added to the awesome factor of it.

...also, I'm a bit disappointed that at least one of the above posters reserved their copy and didn't get that call. Who here, other than me, had reserved a copy of SMG and gotten a call from Mario?

Para
Nov 16, 2007, 04:16 AM
Well judging the average meta critic score... 97.5% now. Beats all the other games ever released except Zelda: OoT

source: http://www.gamerankings.com

Tact
Nov 16, 2007, 06:16 AM
I got it a couple of days ago, and I'm absolutely blasting my way through it. 59-60 stars already. Of course, it could be two reasons: One, I'm playing the hell out of it, and two, it's just easy. I've found that it's a bit too easy to get 1-ups, because by the end of each sitting, I find myself with 20+ lives.

As far as the storyline goes, I've just beaten Bowser's Dark Matter Plant (damn you, Dark Matter cubes!). Anybody who needs help up to that point, I will be happy to assist you.

Those of you who do have it, any favorite galaxies/individual planets yet? I loved the Space Junk Galaxy and its fast-moving platforms.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tact on 2007-11-16 12:44 ]</font>

Moo2u
Nov 16, 2007, 05:41 PM
Update: I'm hooked. I'm making sure not to rush through the story, trying to beat every early star I can right off the bat. I can't stop playing. It's a real problem...

ljkkjlcm9
Nov 16, 2007, 06:15 PM
I just got 80 stars and decided to take a break. The game is kind in giving plenty of extra lives. Probably should've been every 100 star bites instead of 50, because everytime I die, I typically find 50 more before I die again.

Haven't missed a star yet, only need... 25 more before I'll beat the game and unlock the last 15. I think I have one more set of galaxies to unlock.... otherwise I have no idea where all those 25 stars would be lol

THE JACKEL

Sekani
Nov 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
I want to quit my job so I can spend more time playing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Moo2u
Nov 18, 2007, 01:15 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned this, but I think this is the best soundtrack Nintendo has ever put out. The fully orchestrated scores are wonderful, and the throwbacks to old classics like the hill music from SMB3 is a joy for fans! The integration of music with action is also amazing like while you're rolling the ball with the star inside it, collecting the music notes, and let's not forget the grandiose chanting during the Bowser battles when you finally get to attack him!

*sigh* What a game...

SubstanceD
Nov 18, 2007, 05:46 AM
I played it for the first time for about 30 minutes last night. So far soo good. To be honest with you I wasn't quite sure whether I would like this game since I always thought Mario 64 was over-rated and Mario Sunshine was inferior to Mario 64.

I've had alot of issues with alot of Wii titles since the controls often feel to gimmicky but so far Mario Galaxy's controls feel very intuitive. You pick it up and play and you never think about the controls or the controller. Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess get it right, to me Metroid Prime 3 got it wrong. The controls in Metoid Prime 3 may have ben functional but it was never intuitive.

I'm also surprised at just how tricky Mario Galaxy can be in some parts. Needless to say, I'm going to playing this one for a while.

Orange_Coconut
Nov 20, 2007, 06:10 PM
This game was amazing, I am so glad I had the opportunity to play it. I'm saving my go-through with Luigi for my friend. I want to show him the game.

Blitzkommando
Nov 20, 2007, 08:31 PM
There are too many damned good games coming out. SMG, AoI, UT3, and GoW (PC) are but a few on my list. If this is as good as I keep hearing I might just dust off one of my consoles for the first time in months.

ljkkjlcm9
Nov 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
On 2007-11-18 02:46, SubstanceD wrote:
I played it for the first time for about 30 minutes last night. So far soo good. To be honest with you I wasn't quite sure whether I would like this game since I always thought Mario 64 was over-rated and Mario Sunshine was inferior to Mario 64.

I've had alot of issues with alot of Wii titles since the controls often feel to gimmicky but so far Mario Galaxy's controls feel very intuitive. You pick it up and play and you never think about the controls or the controller. Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess get it right, to me Metroid Prime 3 got it wrong. The controls in Metoid Prime 3 may have ben functional but it was never intuitive.

I'm also surprised at just how tricky Mario Galaxy can be in some parts. Needless to say, I'm going to playing this one for a while.

I don't see how Metroid Prime wasn't intuitive, all you do is point where you want to shoot. If you didn't turn up the sensitivity, I may understand why you had a problem.

As for Mario Galaxy being tricky... I was sadly dissapointed. Either it's because I played Mario 64(and Sunshine) when I was younger and have just gotten better, or most of these stars just weren't difficult to get. It took me way longer to get all the stars in both of those.

THE JACKEL