PDA

View Full Version : Just made a fortegunner CAST...

Elley
Nov 9, 2007, 11:33 AM
Could anyone give me a hand? What weapons should I get/what should my palette be? I've never played a pure ranger type before, so I'm confused http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Also, what SUV weapons should I pick up? What's the difference between the "Buster" B-rank SUVs and the "Attacker" A-ranks? I can use either with level 20 "B" rank armor (Extra Slot)?

Thanks!!

Remedy
Nov 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
Attackers are stronger, and no, they're not usable with B-rank armor, as they're A-rank units. :3

I'll let a FG advise you about your palette, because I've never played one myself, either.

darkante
Nov 9, 2007, 11:47 AM
Iīm a Fortegunner and i usely prefer to use a combination of 3 Crossbows, 2 Rifles and 1 grenade launchers.
So far, i havenīt stumbled upon something i canīt beat. >.<

The one with the rockets shooting everwhere is preferbly.
Although i usely prefer to use the focused Gatling gun spread, i like that animation alot.

amtalx
Nov 9, 2007, 12:05 PM
Protip: Let the Xbows go in the expansion. Shotguns are getting a huge elemental boost in 2 weeks, which will propel Shotung damage far beyond Xbow damage, even without multi-hitting. Don't forget about them completely, but their primary use will be SE now that the DPS potential isn't as great. Also, pick up Laser Cannons. They are mediocre now, but but will have a 220% ATP mod and SE3 in AoI.

Only use Rilfes for bosses (most of the time). Forget Twin Handguns. Get Sturm and Grom for SUVs. NEVER USE SINGLE HANDGUNS. Don't forget to bring traps. Use Burn if you want things to die faster...

If you need more, my GT is in my sig, haha. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

darkante
Nov 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
On 2007-11-09 09:05, amtalx wrote:
Protip: Let the Xbows go in the expansion. Shotguns are getting a huge elemental boost in 2 weeks, which will propel Shotung damage far beyond Xbow damage, even without multi-hitting. Don't forget about them completely, but their primary use will be SE now that the DPS potential isn't as great. Also, pick up Laser Cannons. They are mediocre now, but but will have a 220% ATP mod and SE3 in AoI.

Only use Rilfes for bosses (most of the time). Forget Twin Handguns. Get Sturm and Grom for SUVs. NEVER USE SINGLE HANDGUNS. Don't forget to bring traps. Use Burn if you want things to die faster...

If you need more, my GT is in my sig, haha. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yes, Twin Handguns is not really good but who said higher dmg - - - > always more fun anyway?

Crossbow canīt be too bad in the expansion even you make it seem to be..can it?
So my epic dark shots will be declared useless in AoI?
Mama mia..

I also suggest Fire shots for Rifle seeing how enemies easily gets burned of it.
Good for Neudaiz runs. =)

Burn traps yes i agree to that, and i also MOST add Virus traps as suggestion, as they are extremly useful against most big enemies especially Light elementals versions.

And that elemental boost you say about Shotguns makes me wanna try those for a change, thanks for giving a reason. X)

amtalx
Nov 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
On 2007-11-09 10:53, darkante wrote:
Crossbow canīt be too bad in the expansion even you make it seem to be..can it?
So my epic dark shots will be declared useless in AoI?
Mama mia..

Xbows will still be good. It's just that you should start to favor Shotguns. I'll probably just end up switching my pallete from dual element Xbows and a single element Shotgun to dual element Shotguns and a single element Xbow. Who knows, it really just depends on the mission.

And that elemental boost you say about Shotguns makes me wanna try those for a change, thanks for giving a reason. X)

It's never too late! Shotguns are a fG's best friend. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

panzer_unit
Nov 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
Shotgun (element damage)
Shotgun (element damage)
Laser (vs smaller monsters, usually)
Grenade (fire - damaging SE on large monsters)
Grenade (duranga - damaging damage on large monsters)
Handgun/Saber or Dagger (whatever you'd use rifle for on the handgun, plus Rising Strike or Buten for PA)

Ruffnexx
Nov 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
Personally i say go with this palette this is what i run with. 3 crossbows using ice, ground, dark (i have all elements leveled) 1 rifle that uses dark and fire for SE's. A shotgun because they merc. And 1 machinegun, yeah a machinegun, there is nothing that puts out more damage i the game against a single target.

amtalx
Nov 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
On 2007-11-09 11:52, Ruffnexx wrote:
And 1 machinegun, yeah a machinegun, there is nothing that puts out more damage i the game against a single target.

Except a Shotgun or a Xbow. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Aurora-
Nov 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
lets see...

gernade launcher = boss killer
twin handguns = everything else
rifle = status effect on big mobs
xbow and mechs = small mobs
laser canon = worthless IMO
shotgun = great for tagging mobs
handgun = worthless IMO

hope that helps http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

panzer_unit
Nov 9, 2007, 03:08 PM
Lasers are really good. Grenades work on all multi-target enemies... there are a LOT of those.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2007-11-09 12:41 ]</font>

Hank
Nov 9, 2007, 03:29 PM
Primary Element Rifle (Main Weapon)
Secondary Element Twin Handguns (Main Weapon)
Fire/Dark Rifle (DPS)
Primary Element Shotgun (Heavy Damage or Easy Status Infliction)
Machine Gun/Xbow + Dagger (PA combo with status or extra damage)
Duranga G.Launcher (Suicide Bombs)

Primary elements and secondary elements are basically the ones you use on each respective planet. On parum, Ice and Earth. On Neudaiz, Fire and Ice. Moatoob has 3 elements, so be wary. And G.Colony only has one, so no big deal there.

Normally I like using Ice Rifles and Earth twins on parum. More because GoVahras can really move, so it's best to fight them with twins. I don't know, they are both very good weapons, so I use both. A secondary 'DPS' rifle to inflict a burn or virus in any situation with a tough enemy. Then, go in with a closer range weapon. Shotguns are still my personal favorite over Xbows, so I use those. Slower, yes. Stronger, just wait and see. One thing I love about Machine guns is that they go perfectly with Knockdown PAs. Not a glitched mech, but a normal one, and from what i've heard machine guns are getting a nice little boost in the expansion. And of course the Durange launcher. Powerful, effective, but best used in conjunction with a force or trimates.

My Advice: Find your own style and stick with it, because nothing beats a fG in the end anyways.

Arcturus
Nov 9, 2007, 03:48 PM
As a longtime fG, I highly suggest the following bullets:

Rifle: Fire or dark. Once you get either to level 21, Burn and Virus are incredibly effective on stronger enemies. I've burned things for over 2000 dmg a tick.
Crossbow: Light or lightning. Either will effectively disable groups of enemies. Lightning better for small groups, light better for large.
Shotgun: Light. Nothing like making an entire mob turn on each other.
Grenade launcher: Ice, fire... your choice. It's primarily used for its high dmg and knockback, so SE isn't a big deal (as far as I know... I don't use the launcher too often).
Pistol: Lightning. It'll disable something from attacking you, after which you can go nuts on it with a saber or dagger.
Twin handguns: Your choice. I don't use twins (most fGs don't), but they can be used on all sorts of enemies, so choose whatever.
Laser cannon: Doesn't matter with SE1 and all, but I suppose Ice would be the best choice for keeping enemies in place.

As for my pallet, it's your choice, really. However, I like to play with this:
Rifle (fire)
Rifle (dark)
Grenade cannon (ice)
Crossbow (lightning)/dagger
Shotgun (light)
Laser cannon (ice)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arcturus on 2007-11-09 12:54 ]</font>

Randomness
Nov 9, 2007, 03:54 PM
Hmm... My FG alt's pallette is basically a cross-section of the primary weapons.

Melee/Xbow-Its a mini-shotgun, and with melee PAs, I find it useful all-around.
Grenades-As stated before, they kill bosses fast, and are good for multi-target enemies. Also nice on enemies that dont get knocked back, or if enemies are clumped up by a wall
Laser-If you get the aggro from enemies, run back a bit and they'll just line up for you. And also, it gets better in AoI
Shotgun-Good for single enemies up close or multiple enemies in a horizontal line.
Rifle-Flying enemies, switches, living turret work (EX missions), bosses, another good weapon overall
Twin Handgun-Good all around. Good damage, SEs, and allows you to be mobile while firing.

darkante
Nov 11, 2007, 02:49 AM
I have noticed that Magas mini boss gets easily burned of the Fire Rifle bullets on the Colony 1-up mission..name slips me ftm..
So make cheap shots with rifle, and you will probably get out unhurt most of the time and damaging him for 3000 on B and more on A. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tetsaru
Nov 11, 2007, 09:45 AM
Here's my lowdown on FG weapons:

- Rifles: I LOVE using these. Rifles have good power and accuracy, the best status effect levels, and the best range of any weapon a FG can use. You can also keep some enemies flinching with them if you focus your fire on them and time your shots.
- Dual Pistols: A lot of people don't seem to like these, but I find them to be great for when you need to move around a lot and tag enemies.
- Shotguns: Once leveled to 21+, these babies are GREAT for dealing high damage at once. Walk up to a weak enemy, and fire it point blank a few times to kill it off quickly, or stand back a bit from a group of enemies and fire to tag them easily.
- Mechguns: Personally, I don't like these. Some people like them for taking out small enemies quickly, but their short range, low accuracy, and low SE levels equal fail for me. I only use em for Mayalee Fury.
- Crossbows: Lots of people love these because at lv21+ they work similarly to shotguns, but they also have lv3 SE's and are mobile... PLUS you can pair a striking weapon with them, but I don't recommend using striking weapons as a FG (lol lv10 skill cap).
- Grenade Launchers: use these sparingly, as they're only really good against multi-target enemies like De Ragan, Drua Gohra, etc. or large groups of enemies. They also always cause knockback. It may take some practice to aim them properly.
- Laser Cannons: right now, these just suck ass. Imo, rifles out-perform them in every way, even with the goggle trick, except for the fact that laser shots penetrate through enemies. In AoI though, lasers are supposed to get a huge attack buff, so they may be better later on. =/
- Handguns: why are you using THESE?? You're a FG. :3

I also usually carry stacks of Burn G, Virus G, and Poison G traps with me to use if there are a lot of "big" enemies or large groups of enemies. One of my friends likes to carry Shock G and Confuse G traps for enemies like Go Vahras that tend to rush you a lot.

As far as the normal PA's go, it's really a matter of preference, but I recommend finding one weapon you like a lot, and then getting each element for it, as this makes it easy to adapt to different missions and situations. I have every rifle bullet since they're my favorite weapon, and I can easily switch back and forth between elements to take out different enemies.

For the "ultimate" PA's, I'd recommend:

- Killer Shot: great against robot enemies like the Byshas. The PP cost is ridiculous though, so you might want to look into getting some grinded Falgohohs when you use it.
- Twin Mayalee: does decent damage against pretty much anything and has a reliable debuff effect
- Boma Duranga: pretty much the only grenade shot you really need. It deals awesome damage against large multi-target enemies. Just be careful as it also does 15% of the damage to you as well, and you CAN kill yourself with it, lol...
- Mayalee Fury: what I call the "seizure bullets." This PA causes knockback with each hit... but it has an INCREDIBLY low accuracy modifier, so it only works when you hit an enemy in the back. It also eats up PP quickly too, as do most ultimate bullet PA's. Use this on large, single-target enemies like Jarbas, Dilnazens, etc. along with a damaging status effect, and watch them writhe in pain. :3

I also highly recommend finding either a Phantom Line or Storm Line armor, and the Sturm Attacker SUV when you are able to use them.

Hope this helps you! =D

Hrith
Nov 12, 2007, 07:34 AM
I'll start by replying to amtalX about shotguns and crossbows in AoI. Even if you are right that shotguns will clearly outdamage crossbows, a lot more than they do now, shotguns are quite unusable in some situations.

I cannot see myself fighting Go Vahra, Deljaban or Vanda Merha with shotguns, it's suicide.

As for the PAs I suggest, they have not changed:

Rifle:
-Burning Shot
-Dark Shot
-Killer Shot

Shotgun:
-Barada Inga
-Barada Riga
-Barada (any other element)

Grenade launcher:
-Boma Diga
-Boma (any other element)

Laser:
-Plasma Prism
-(any other element) Prism

Crossbow:
-Yak Banga
-Yak Yoga
-Yak (as many as you can stand to take to Lv21)

amtalx
Nov 12, 2007, 08:57 AM
On 2007-11-12 04:34, Hrith wrote:
I'll start by replying to amtalX about shotguns and crossbows in AoI. Even if you are right that shotguns will clearly outdamage crossbows, a lot more than they do now, shotguns are quite unusable in some situations.

I cannot see myself fighting Go Vahra, Deljaban or Vanda Merha with shotguns, it's suicide.

Quite true. There will always be a permanent spot in my palette for a Xbow even after AoI.

I did notice something about Go Varhas in the Parum 1UP mission though. Since mobs seem to flinch for any gun, I gave my Laser Cannon a try to see how the stunlock is going to play out in AoI. I think I found a replacement for my Go Varha offense. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I could easily keep a mob of 4 Go Varhas stunlocked while nailing them for almost 500 per. With the pending Laser Cannon boost in a couple weeks, I may favor stunlocking over mobility. That was only a Lvl 16 bullet too.

Neith
Nov 12, 2007, 09:19 AM
Out of curiosity Kef, why Boma Diga? I've recently started playing my Fortegunner more, so I guess any advice on why you chose that would be good.

amtalx
Nov 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
On 2007-11-12 06:19, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Out of curiosity Kef, why Boma Diga? I've recently started playing my Fortegunner more, so I guess any advice on why you chose that would be good.

It's one of the strong elements and there are lots of Lightning enemies around.

Hrith
Nov 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, and unless you have enough PA room and spare time to get all of them to 30 >_>

Boma Riga is my second choice.

If I had more PA space, I would have tried out Boma Duranga, but that will have to wait until AoI, for me.

And to amtalx, I have always used lasers, because they have always been good, they're just getting even better.
I have two at 30, can't wait to take them to 31 ;x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hrith on 2007-11-12 09:13 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Nov 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
Boma Duranga is amazing. Show me another way for a Fortegunner to do 3200 per volley to a Ragan-type (and my bullet isn't even maxed, nor do I have an A-Rank arm unit ;s)

Hrith
Nov 12, 2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, but imagine the damage YOU will take per hit at Lv120/15 with a LV40 Boma Duranga (and the new stats we'll get on the 16th).

It may not be worth it, in the end.

beatrixkiddo
Nov 12, 2007, 02:13 PM
In my eyes the reflected damage is worth the insane damage, every bit of it.

darkante
Nov 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
On 2007-11-12 09:19, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Boma Duranga is amazing. Show me another way for a Fortegunner to do 3200 per volley to a Ragan-type (and my bullet isn't even maxed, nor do I have an A-Rank arm unit ;s)

Imagine 5 FG using that maxed on a Ragan-type and having one FT around just being that damn nice enough to spam resta all the time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

shotsfired
Nov 12, 2007, 11:09 PM
Tetsaru, you can party with me anytime. your fg explanation is EXACTLY the way i play. great gunners think alike. you should into stryke force, the all gunner / few techer crew. we get together and have fun while SE all types of biatches...

beatrixkiddo
Nov 13, 2007, 02:36 AM
On 2007-11-12 12:56, darkante wrote:

On 2007-11-12 09:19, beatrixkiddo wrote:

Imagine 5 FG using that maxed on a Ragan-type and having one FT around just being that damn nice enough to spam resta all the time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

How about 6 FGs using Trimates? I'd prefer that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

darkante
Nov 13, 2007, 06:39 AM
Haha, also works but if they are to..cheap..to...*runs away*..lol. XD

Hrith
Nov 13, 2007, 08:50 AM
You'd run out of trimates in a blink without a FT.

panzer_unit
Nov 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
On 2007-11-12 10:55, Hrith wrote:
Yeah, but imagine the damage YOU will take per hit at Lv120/15 with a LV40 Boma Duranga (and the new stats we'll get on the 16th).

It may not be worth it, in the end.

I'm looking forward to synthing my Gur Bazga board as a Kubara weapon. It'll make Boma Duranga go a little easier on HP when I'm trying to do damage, and I'll have more PP/regen to use for suppression or status attacks as well.

I learned Boma Diga specifically for Desert Goliath S2... I've since dropped it for PA space, Grenades don't take long at all to level up anyway.

amtalx - the stagger effect on lasers (according to Phantasm Prism) isn't applied fast enough to stunlock most medium-sized monsters, they'll pull off the occasional move etc and un-stick themselves. Against small creatures it's fire-and-forget though, those mobs are stuck until they're dead.

On the other hand you'll still do massive damage and SE3.

Tetsaru
Nov 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
On 2007-11-12 20:09, shotsfired wrote:
Tetsaru, you can party with me anytime. your fg explanation is EXACTLY the way i play. great gunners think alike. you should into stryke force, the all gunner / few techer crew. we get together and have fun while SE all types of biatches...

Thanks for the kind words, man. =D I'm afraid I'm on PC/PS2 though... >_<

I'm anxious to see the changes AoI will bring, concerning new gun weapons, SUV's, etc. Once I get the expansion and learn about all the new things, I'll try to post my opinions here again. :3

Tetsaru
Nov 13, 2007, 03:12 PM
Sorry, double-posted... >_<

*slaps his Internet*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tetsaru on 2007-11-13 12:16 ]</font>