PDA

View Full Version : should i get a Wii or Sbox 360?

Zabrio
Nov 9, 2007, 11:50 PM
both have games i want and i honestly don't want a PS3

DarthRuin
Nov 9, 2007, 11:52 PM
360 is your best bet all around. All the best PC games come out for it, and it has bad-ass exclusives. I don't have one, but I wish I did. I hated Xbox, but the 360's library is more than enough reason to get one.

Rubius-sama
Nov 10, 2007, 12:01 AM
Get a 360 first, get the Wii later when you have more money. Both have good games, the 360 has a bigger library.

The 360 has Halo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Zelutos
Nov 10, 2007, 12:02 AM
When the wii's novelty [quickly] wears off, you'll wish you had a 360.

ljkkjlcm9
Nov 10, 2007, 12:20 AM
The Wii will have timeless games, like Smash Bros, and Mario, and all the great multiplayer games.
360, meh, it's not for me

THE JACKEL

mizukage
Nov 10, 2007, 12:48 AM
Although I was a long time Nintendo fan since the original gameboy era, but I have to say... Pick the X360, the range of games are much cheaper and better in terms of graphics and such in comparison with the Wii. The only thing about the Wii is that it was inspired by a very creative idea of swinging the controller and such. However, I believe long-term playing of the controller swinging action can lead to sore arms... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Anyways, X360 is awesome!!!

Zorafim
Nov 10, 2007, 01:50 AM
Wii is the only system that has games made by nintendo, which is the only company that's worth anything anymore. Just from that, I see no reason not to get it.

Moo2u
Nov 10, 2007, 02:04 AM
While I agree that both have killer games right now, it depends what you want. If you're in the mood for something new (and I don't mean just party games) try the Wii. If you want some sweet shooters and the like, 360 is for you.

I prefer the Wii simply cause I was getting board with normal gaming and desperately wanted something new, and games like Metroid, Wii Sports and even Twilight Princess (bow and arrow worked perfectly) brought it to me. Plus, if I want something to satisfy my old skool taste, the virtual console has prime games from Nintendo and Sega (I was on Sega's side during the old console wars, so these old games are awesome to play.)

The 360 is, needless to say, more traditional in gaming thus far, and also a very western type of gaming machine. I won't go into some of the sweet games already out, and that are coming out, but if I was to get a 360, X-box live would probably be the major selling point for me; they seem to have a really solid online play plan worked out, better then any console.

...at least you narrowed PS3 out...I'd rather get me a PS2 at this point...in fact...I think I might do that soon...

Zantra
Nov 10, 2007, 02:13 AM
Buy a Playstation Wii60...

Get all 3.

Palle
Nov 10, 2007, 04:01 AM
Disregard fanboyism; both systems have their merits.

There are some great Nintendo titles for Wii, though third-party titles are about 35/65 hit/miss, IMO. But as far as I'm aware, there's no contest when network play is involved; 360 wins. However, 360 has a lot of very pretty titles that are no fun at all to play...but since you already know which games you want, this is moot.

I would say go with a balance of your gaming style and your budget. If you're a bang-for-your-buck kind of guy, try the Wii. You'll have fun.

If you're a big spender and want to join the major leagues, go 360. You'll have fun.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would get a DS. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

edit: Oh yeah, completely forgot VC/Arcade. Both are great to have and sport games with paying for, but in this category I give the edge to Nintendo; there are just too many great retro titles on VC, if you're into that sort of thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Owsla_Scarlet on 2007-11-10 01:22 ]</font>

Katrina
Nov 10, 2007, 07:58 AM
I was in the same boat you are. Since you know what games appeal to you, check the current titles in the genre(s) you like, as well as the unreleased in development ones coming down the road that may interest you.

Sekani
Nov 10, 2007, 10:26 AM
Get both, eventually.

The only bad thing about the Wii is that there are very few titles worth a purchase; of course, to some people those few are the best games in existence. Depends on how much you like Nintendo stuff.

The 360 is more of a traditional console, and it has the strongest library of all the consoles at the moment. Not recommended for those who don't like online gaming or who only care about games with a very Japanese flavor to them.

googles
Nov 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
Halo is way way waaaaaaaay over rated

DarthRuin
Nov 10, 2007, 06:15 PM
On 2007-11-10 14:59, googles wrote:
Halo is way way waaaaaaaay over rated

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/mogboy1015/lolhalo.jpg

mizukage
Nov 10, 2007, 09:32 PM
On 2007-11-10 07:26, Sekani wrote:
The 360 is more of a traditional console, and it has the strongest library of all the consoles at the moment. Not recommended for those who don't like online gaming or who only care about games with a very Japanese flavor to them.

So, the traditional American gaming experience is mainly focused on first-person shooters?

I like the ps3 the most of the next-gen.

DarthRuin
Nov 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
On 2007-11-10 18:32, mizukage wrote:

On 2007-11-10 07:26, Sekani wrote:

So, the traditional American gaming experience is mainly focused on first-person shooters?

I like the ps3 the most of the next-gen.

360 has a huge library of RPGs and gets all the PC RTS games. I'll give you that It is known for only Halo because of all the Fanboys.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/mogboy1015/halo-2.jpg

Protip: Rpgs as we know them are an american creation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarthRuin on 2007-11-10 21:21 ]</font>

Kendrik
Nov 11, 2007, 12:17 AM
Ignore systems; look at the games.

If you don't want to spend the money on a high-end gaming PC, but you want cutting edge games, the 360 gets a lot of those same games. I'm still hard pressed to find a game that I like more than Oblivion (honestly, it was the key reason why I bought a 360 in the first place). On the other hand, Twilight Princess was phenomenal, and definitely worth playing. Control on the Wii is finally coming closer to its potential than simply being a gimmick. Playing Metroid Prime 3 with the Wiimote is a wonderful thing, and, if IGN is to be believed, the control in the new Medal of Honor on the Wii is nothing short of amazing.

Basically, find what you want most and go for it. I'd advise against the whole debate of "new ways to play games vs. amazing graphics," however. At the end of the day, the most insane way of playing a weak game is still going to leave you with a weak game. Likewise, mind-blowing graphics in a weak game is still a weak game. Find the developers you like, find the games you like, follow them.

Of course, if at all possible, I'd recommend buying both of them. Even the PS3 is worthy of a purchase if you can afford it.

I'd love to take up the discussion of what an RPG is (as well as which game genres ought to be identified with which regions) in another topic, but I don't want to derail this one.

You pretty much can't go wrong with either, Zaro.

Sord
Nov 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
for now I would say get the 360. We bought the Wii (because it was cheapest) and while there are good games (twilight, samus, and a few others) as soon as the novelty wears off, I feel stuck with nothing much left to do. If you play video games very often, I would not go with the Wii currently. There aren't enough titles to support it (at least IMO.) If you actualy have the money for it, I would go for a 360 right now, then buy a Wii later. Maybe around Brawl release, though personally unless a slew of great games come out between now and then, I would wait even past that point. So unless your a die hard nintendo fan, I would go with 360 (and this is coming from a guy who got N64, Gamecube, DS, and Wii before getting any other of the respective generations competition.)

Sexy_Raine
Nov 11, 2007, 03:09 PM
Get a Wii if you can find one by this time of the holiday season. If not, then buy a different system.

I wouldn't support the Xpox, but that's just me.

AlexCraig
Nov 11, 2007, 03:18 PM
I completely agree with Kendrik. Look at games over graphics and style. Also look at the games YOU would want as opposed to the games OTHERS would want for you.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 11, 2007, 04:46 PM
The Wii seems like an old-school gamer's console, what with the Virtual Console and the imminent wave of rail shooters and Wii Zapper. I doubt the 360 will let you hold a gun in your hands to point at opponents. The Wii is the cheapest console, and because it has fewer games you'll likely spend less (UNLESS YOU NEED TO BUY THREE MORE WIIMOTES FOR $40 EACH!!). I can't say much about the 360 except that it'll have more than just the typical PC gaming library thanks to Japanese support.

TheOneHero
Nov 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
Because le Wii is so hard to find, I would suggest getting a 360. (Besides, the only time you'll be on the Wii a lot is early next year when Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and (there's talk of an MMO...) all come out.

Sure, Twilight Princess was and is amazing, as is Metroid Prime 3 (IMO the controls are wonderful, never want to play another FPS without these controls XD) But they won't last much longer than after you beat them.

Personally, I don't own a 360, but there's some wicked awesome games for it. Like, "Eternal Sonata " (When I grab my 360 next year, that's the first game I'm buying XD), Oblivion, Halo 3 (if you can find people who aren't jerk-offs when you play).

But as everyone else says, look at what you want.

Kendrik
Nov 11, 2007, 05:16 PM
On 2007-11-11 13:46, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
The Wii seems like an old-school gamer's console, what with the Virtual Console and the imminent wave of rail shooters and Wii Zapper
Yeah, I definitely spaced the Virtual Console. It all comes down to preferences, but, being an old-school gamer myself, I find that I spend more time playing games on the Virtual Console than anything else (360, Wii-proper, etc.). Honestly, if being able to drop $5-10 on an old classic appeals to you, I would say that the Wii is a no-brainer.

I mean, seriously, Super Mario Bros. 3 was just released on the US VC this week, and I still love it just as much as I did many, many years ago. That's definitely a game preference, but I feel comfortable saying that if you ever liked "the classics," you will find them just as enjoyable (sometimes even more enjoyable) now as you did before they were called classics.

Bottom line: Definitely take the Virtual Console (and upcoming WiiWare) and Xbox Live Arcade into consideration when looking at these consoles.

-Crokar-
Nov 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
i play smb 3 onj my snes still lol

Noblewine
Nov 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
Either though if you can put up with how Microsoft designs their controllers, you should be fine.

UnderscoreX
Nov 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
IF you want both buy both. You should pick up the 360 first, then in 3 weeks when it breaks buy the Wii and you're all set.

Tetsaru
Nov 11, 2007, 09:13 PM
Wii all the way. There's Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario; and soon there'll be Super Mario Galaxy, the Nights sequel, and fuckin Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Oh, and let's not forget about the Wii's Virtual Console, where you can download all of your old favorite games. :3

...But, I'm biased, as I've always loved Nintendo's stuff. =/

amtalx
Nov 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
1st party support, Wii. 3rd party, 360. 360 has a larger list of quality games, mostly due to the fact that its been out longer. However, the Wii is something everyone can enjoy. If there are older people/non-gamers around, the 360 controller can be a lot to handle. Honestly, they are both solid systems, but coming from someone that owns both, I use my 360 more, for what its worth (even outside of PSU).

mizukage
Nov 12, 2007, 06:12 PM
On 2007-11-10 18:55, DarthRuin wrote:
Protip: Rpgs as we know them are an american creation.

Well... True. One of the best American RPG is:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/Oblivion_Cover.JPG

Zenos
Nov 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
lol personaly i got a Wii because of all this hassle with the 360's Braking down and the cost to buy them at the start then the minor bill to get it online quite off putting + i liked the free net on the wii not even a minor charge to go online even if it is Wii's more of a living room console where your family can join in 360's as the other say most of the games are ether First-person rpg or First-person of some sort.

anyhow but can you get Lylat wars,mario 64,mario cart on your 360 personaly i like satifaction over Quliaty and quantiy.

kizu
Nov 13, 2007, 08:57 AM
must agree with mizukage, oblivion is the best http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. in my opinion go for the 360. i was in the same postion last week but chose 360 over wii. Both are great but i think the 360 at the moment is the better buy. There are lots of great games for 360 like oblivion, halo, guitar hero, etc and you have access to online play, arcade, and marketplace. 360 also does have AoI which looks better then PSU. Wii is an amazing idea but lacks great games. there is wii sports galaxy, princess, and metroid but at the moment thats all the really good ones. Brawl is coming but in two+ months, way too long. In the end, its your choice to make but i suggest to get the 360 at the moment.

Jaspaller
Nov 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
There are some great games coming out soon for the Wii. If you can hold out for a while and get enough cash in a few months to grab a second console, get the 360 first. There aren't too many great games at the moment, but smash and a few will possibly turn this around.

amtalx
Nov 13, 2007, 12:50 PM
Mario Galaxy today http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Wyndham
Nov 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
the Wii has:
Zelda
Smash Brothers
the new way of playing games
cheap system
Mario Kart
games start cheaper in most cases

360:
Halo (I don't think this is a big reason)
great shooters
dvd player
best online setup (Xbox Live)

amtalx
Nov 13, 2007, 12:57 PM
On 2007-11-13 09:53, Wyndham wrote:
360:
Halo (I don't think this is a big reason)
great shooters
dvd player
best online setup (Xbox Live)

Mass Effect

fix'd http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SubstanceD
Nov 13, 2007, 01:18 PM
It kind of depends on what kind of games you like.

I own both consoles.

Personally I would go for the 360 first. There are more games available and the comtrol scheme is more traditional.

I bought both consoles at more or less the same time and I play my 360 almost every day. My Wii on the other hand has remained untouched for long periods of time. Zelda was great while it lasted, then I ran out of games to play, at least untill Super Paper Mario was released in Europe ( awesome game ). Metriod Prime 3 is highly over-rated ( best Prime Metroid my ass ). Then again Mario galaxy should be out soon. Alot of Wii games sufer from poorly implemented controls. You could be one of the 1000's of gamers out there who loves the Wii and thinks it's the best thing ever or you you could be one of the minority ( like myself ) who feels that most of the games are too gimicky.