PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill Origins

Sexy_Raine
Nov 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
I haven't played a horror game in a while. So I picked this up a few days ago, it's only $30, since when is Konami this nice?! I didn't like SH4, SH3 was alright but 1 and 2 were the best to me. I take my playing seriously, I only play these kind of games at night with the light out, good sound, and being alone. It's the only way to get the most enjoyment out of it. From what I played, it's pretty scary, and this is coming from a horror game veteran!

SHO plays similar to the first to be honest and even has the same characters(like Alessa), which will make some people happy. Running around in the streets of the town is back, finally. The sounds are top notch, and sets the mood pretty well. Visuals are impressive for a PSP game.

Gameplay, melee weps now have a limited use, they will break after being used to many times. The trade is that you can fight with punches, but it's not that safe to use. Because of this you're better off running from most of the enemies. In certain areas now, there are mirrors that will transport you in between the Normal World and the dreadful Other World. And you don't get a gun till a bit later in the game.
Minor spoiler: the hospital in this game is one from SH1, Alchemilla(sp?) hospital. the map layout is the same.

I'm still playing through it, and I like it so far. It lives up to the first game. I'll play more later tonight. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2007-11-11 19:57 ]</font>

Saner
Nov 11, 2007, 11:31 AM
horror game on a portable = not scary.

TetsuyaHikari
Nov 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
Posting without knowing what you're talking = not bright

ANYWAY..now that we have that out of the way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

I actually picked up a copy of it myself, recently. Now granted, I only played about the first ten minutes or so, but..I was sitting on my bed in the dark with the lights out (naturally) and I had my headphones plugged in.

Hearing that static (white noise) I was so used to hearing from the first installment brought back a tingle down my spine as I walked down the hallway, turning on my flashlight, I hear the static getting louder as I approach something..till suddenly..BAM!

I'm in the middle of a fight, using a TV no less..against a natural freak from the SH series D:

I love the Silent Hill games, but..even on a portable after playing it for only ten minutes, then turning it off and taking my headphones out, I glanced around my room engulfed with darkness, then noticed a shadow on my wall that wasn't being projected from something in my room.

I noticed it because of a streetlight shining through my blinds barely, then I turned on my lamp and looked out the window and didn't see anything, then said, "Man..I'm seein' things", lol.

I'm not really scared often or anything of the sort, but I do believe Konami did a wonderful job of bringing the survival/horror game over to the PSP and keeping it authentic http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Nov 11, 2007, 02:21 PM
oh right like a puny 4.3 inch screen and inferior sound hardware can provide what a 30 inch TV can offer for Silent Hill games on the PS2, even without surround sound. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

it's too bad Origins was released on a inferior system that may run as good as a PS2, but can't deliver the visual and audio quality that the other Silent Hill games benefit from.

Sexy_Raine
Nov 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
On 2007-11-11 08:31, Saner wrote:
horror game on a portable = not scary.

Don't knock it till you try it. And you have the right environment for it, SHO can be pretty damn scary. If I really wanted to go overboard, I could go play it in my dark, smelly basement.

Maybe someday down the line Konami will re-release on a console. Maybe even PS Network? But you know that won't happen for at least a year or longer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2007-11-11 12:22 ]</font>

Saner
Nov 11, 2007, 03:36 PM
ya if you like it how it is, that's a good thing.

I'm just saying my standards for games and hardware and screensize are a lil higher (I dont like widescreen/HDTV, I prefer 4:3 SDTVs, even if they are just 20 inch), I just can't get into portables.

TetsuyaHikari
Nov 11, 2007, 03:48 PM
On 2007-11-11 11:21, Saner wrote:
oh right like a puny 4.3 inch screen and inferior sound hardware can provide what a 30 inch TV can offer for Silent Hill games on the PS2, even without surround sound. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

it's too bad Origins was released on a inferior system that may run as good as a PS2, but can't deliver the visual and audio quality that the other Silent Hill games benefit from.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about the PSP. I don't know what you're talking about, but to say that the PSP is inferior and can't deliver visually and audio-wise that the other Silent Hill games benefit from is a bit much.

Visually, it can. If you have played Origins, you would KNOW this..but obviously..you haven't. Secondly..the sound is actually pretty damn good for this game. They captured a lot of the effects from the previous installments really well and I don't see it lacking in that department at all, unlike what you say.

It's fine to not like portables, but to go to the length of saying that the PSP is an "inferior" system was a rather dumb statement. Judging from how you talk, you don't own one, therefore..you would not be able to make such comparisons as myself.

A lot of PSP titles can stand up to what the PS2 has, visually. One of the big titles being known for that right now is Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology also stands up to the PS2 Tales games, graphically.

Now granted, there is a limit to the capabilities for sound and visual performance, HOWEVER..the PSP is not an inferior system.

I'm not starting a console war or anything of the sort, you're just talking nonsense and I'm correcting you, so don't get the wrong idea.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 11, 2007, 04:21 PM
Ahh, Silent Hill...I only played the first two and it's been so many years since I played that (and that was my last horror game). If I had more money, I'd jump right on it. But, when I beat a horror game I never wanna go back---and if I do go back, I wind up getting bored of it quickly.

The PSP is only inferior in that it has fewer buttons, one less analog input, and you have to see your thumbs while playing unless you have hair over the corners of your eyes. PSP sound sucks UNLESS you have headphones. Graphically, it's as good aa the developers make it. Monster Hunter Freedom should be plenty enough to prove this.

Ash1ey
Nov 11, 2007, 06:30 PM
I finished this game a few days ago, and I loved it. I really love the Silent Hill series, especially 2, and Origins is definatley worthy to sit next to the other SH's.

And for not being scary because its on a portable...I strongly suggest you play it before you even bother saying something like that, because this game is way scarier then Silent Hill 3 and some other Console games could ever want to be. This game FEELS like a full fledged console game on a portable system, and not a portable game on a portable syste,.

Kylie
Nov 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
I might get a PSP for this. I'm a huge fan of the Silent Hill games, and I'd hate to miss out on a game that's getting pretty good feedback from that series. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Dopples
Nov 16, 2007, 06:47 AM
Silent Hill Origins is great. It took all the aspects I loved about SH1 (Characters, puzzles) and SH2 (Complete mind-fuck of a story that requires actual though, emotional trauma, etc.), and mixed them together to make something that SH4 should have been. By the way, this doesn't mean I dislike SH4. I still found it extremely creepy...but it wasn't on par with the other games of the series.