PDA

View Full Version : I have the 3rd worst job in America

TheOneHero
Nov 11, 2007, 03:04 AM
Good ol' usher/lobby guy/ticket taker.

Link! (http://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/article/103850/The-10-Worst-Jobs-in-America?mod=weekend)

Pretty crazy.

I knew my job sucked, but I had no idea it was this bad. XD

Awesome article though, it was great to get a peek into that stuff. I knew a lot of it was bad, just didn't know how bad.

Respect +10 points to people with "worst jobs" according to that link. =D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2007-11-11 00:07 ]</font>

DarthRuin
Nov 11, 2007, 03:10 AM
Mine is number 5, rent a cop here.

Remedy
Nov 11, 2007, 03:35 AM
I don't see Data Center Technician on that.

They have never had to deal with cranky foreign customers whining 'WHY MY SERVER DOWN 11 HOUR YOU LOSE ME MUCH MONEY', apparently.

Sord
Nov 11, 2007, 03:39 AM
from the looks of that chart, it seems you should never take any job at all in a movie theatre, they're all bad.

Orange_Coconut
Nov 11, 2007, 05:35 AM
Actually, I do host at a restaurant... I don't know how the waitresses put up with some of the shit the customers put them through. As simple as it may sound, just bringing someone in and seating them, it gets a whole lot more difficult when you have to take into account the sections of waiters and waitresses. Not to mention the fact that you cannot triple-seat anybody, that would be unfair to the waitress. The customers do not really know about triple-seating nor do they care, they usually think you have it out for them if they want to sit somewhere and you are trying to convince them to sit elsewhere.

It's actually somewhat humorous, if you look at it from the outside. It's more annoying when you're in the business and such ridiculously childish people walk through the door of what is supposed to be a formal place to eat. There's also the whole "instant gratification" that people are so eager to receive even when sometimes it's just not possible.

Some people will request certain tables (or honestly, mainly just booths) when you try to seat them at a place that is clean or available... That's when they see a booth that might be unoccupied and ask their partner "Would you rather have a booth?" and then they just point over to another part of the restaurant to where a seemingly open booth might be. Well, maybe that booth had just recently become available and it's nowhere close to clean, in which case you're going to need to clean the booth for them. It could also be that maybe that waitress isn't available or even in the building yet, or maybe she was sat a large party or two other parties recently.

Honestly, it's a restaurant. You're eating in the restaurant, not having a "Who has the best table?" competition. It doesn't matter if you eat on the left side of the restaurant or the right side of the restaurant, you could be in a booth or at a table and still enjoy the meal all the same. I know people have preferences, but when they're rude about it or when things get really busy and they're irritated that whatever they want isn't available then it just becomes a hassle. Some people will use whatever excuses they can think of to get certain tables and why they -need- that table. It's just ridiculous.

NPCMook
Nov 11, 2007, 06:07 PM
Motion picture projectionist thats a worst job? Horse Hockey! Really it all depends on the company you work for, Cinemark and AMC are 2 of the WORST theaters I've seen, and I used to work for cinemark.

Cinemark uses in company techs, who can be coming from anywhere in the US(we actually had 2 who came in from California), and they normally don't know anything. I've had techs come in and tell me you need to thread film this way, then another tech tell me to thread is a completely different way. Thankfully at my current theater its very lax, and we have a tech who knows what he's doing, and is willing to give pointers to you when he sees you're doing something wrong.

Cinemark is just to demanding of their employees, I would literally have to work every different department in 1 day, while still working in booth, or days of running 18 machines by myself. It kept me in shape running across the building to get shows ready, and starting multiple movies at the same time, but doing it on a daily basis for $6 an hour is just not worth it.

Not to mention most projection booths tend to have some high turn-over rate, so you'd be training new people constantly, sure its a nice day off, but once they got fired it was back to the same thing as before, until someone new was found. Personally I boycott Cinemark when I can just because the last few times I went and watched a movie there they were scratched due to a poor training of the operator.

But over all its not a bad job, you get to watch all the new movies before most everyone else, and you get to really know what goes on behind the scenes, and if you have enough staff it usually tends to be pretty easy going and a do nothing job for whatever amount of money you get paid

amtalx
Nov 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
I've worked 1 (host) and 9 (dishwasher). Luckily I have a comfortable desk job now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif It's common knowledge that anything in customer service is going to suck, the food service industry in particular. It's not surprising that more than half of them can be boiled down to "customer service". You job is basically to be nice to someone that's being an asshole.

Warren683
Nov 13, 2007, 05:02 AM
Bah, my job is the worst of all. Aged care nurse. You have NO IDEA what I have to clean up each and every day... XP