PDA

View Full Version : New Quote and Spoiler Box Tags

Ryna
Nov 12, 2007, 11:57 AM
New versions of the quote and spoiler tags have been released. Here is a preview for each one:

[spoiler-box]Made you look.[/spoiler-box]

Quote Demonstration

The new spoiler box tag requires Javascript to be enabled. It is superior to the old highlighting spoiler tag in that bbcode can be used inside of it. So, you can hide pictures and such within the spoiler tag.

Since the old quote tag caused some compatibility problems with the new spoiler tag, a new quote tag was created. The new quote tag has a cleaner look. Also, the background color for quotes will alternate based on what the current post background color is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2007-11-13 04:45 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Nov 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
Just noticed both. Very hot.

Remedy
Nov 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I just noticed them as well. I was pleasantly surprised. Very awesome, Ryna!

Ryna
Nov 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
A couple other things I'd like to mention:

1. If an old post is edited, any old quotes or spoilers will be converted to the new versions.

2. The only potential downside of the new spoiler is that it can no longer be used in mid-sentence. The spoiler button will always appear on a new line.

Remedy
Nov 12, 2007, 01:09 PM
Eh, I think the upside outweighs the downside.

And the new quotes are brilliant. Far better than the old - you can eliminate the extra spaces in them now, without the BBCode freaking out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

AlexCraig
Nov 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
Sweet! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I like

[spoiler-box]Way to go Ryna! XD[/spoiler-box]

Otis_Kat
Nov 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
[spoiler-box]Just[spoiler-box]Watch[/spoiler-box][spoiler-box]For[/spoiler-box][spoiler-box]Stupid[/spoiler-box][spoiler-box]Spoiler[/spoiler-box][spoiler-box]Spam[/spoiler-box][/spoiler-box]

Sorry ;>_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otis_Kat on 2007-11-12 11:08 ]</font>

Ryna
Nov 12, 2007, 02:02 PM
Good to see the tags are working out well so far. If anyone has problems, post them here. We spent quite a while testing the new tags in as many modern browsers as possible. Also, expect some additional forum changes near the end of the week.

Dj_SkyEpic
Nov 12, 2007, 02:27 PM
-Allows scripts to be used on psow browsing - >.>;; Hey! That's nice work there, Ryna.

It's a nice improvement and feels very 2.0.

Sord
Nov 12, 2007, 04:23 PM
there's actually quite a bit more use for these spoiler tags. Stick a large image in it to show it on the boards without having to link somewhere else and condensing page long posts to avoid excessive scrolling. Hell, I think I'll start sticking fic chapters in the tag, scrolling through that much text is annoying.

Dhylec
Nov 12, 2007, 04:28 PM
On 2007-11-12 13:23, Sord wrote:
there's actually quite a bit more use for these spoiler tags. Stick a large image in it to show it on the boards without having to link somewhere else and condensing page long posts to avoid excessive scrolling. Hell, I think I'll start sticking fic chapters in the tag, scrolling through that much text is annoying.

Indeed, those are some other ways to use the new tag.

Ryna
Nov 12, 2007, 04:50 PM
If the spoiler tag is used inappropriately, I left in code to limit its nesting level and number of times it can be used in a post. Right now, those limits are set very liberally.

mizukage
Nov 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
On 2007-11-12 08:57, Ryna wrote:
The new spoiler tag requires Javascript to be enabled. It is superior to the old highlighting spoiler tag in that bbcode can be used inside of it. So, you can hide pictures and such within the spoiler tag.

Since the old quote tag caused some compatibility problems with the new spoiler tag, a new quote tag was created. The new quote tag has a cleaner look. Also, the background color for quotes will alternate based on what the current post background color is.

[spoiler-box]You are amazing Ryna, this new site layout is awesome!!![/spoiler-box]

Jaspaller
Nov 12, 2007, 05:44 PM
I have to say I liked the old one better since it could flow with the text nicely, but this does have some amazing possibilities

Umberger
Nov 12, 2007, 06:15 PM
On 2007-11-12 09:17, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Just noticed both. Very hot.

Indeed.

Getintothegame
Nov 12, 2007, 06:40 PM
Nice work, Ryna. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2007-11-12 15:41 ]</font>

Sord
Nov 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
On 2007-11-12 15:13, Ryna wrote:

On 2007-11-12 13:30, Sord wrote:
can't say I like the new quote boxes. the dotted lines and alternating background make it appear busy. I liked it better when it was simple lines and same background text.

If you disapprove of the appearance of the new quote boxes, feel free to make some suggestions in Site Related. We can change the quote tag's appearance fairly easily.

I can't really say much to "improve" it, as I liked the way it was previously and don't much like this at all. Basically everything would be seen as still being worse in my eyes. Though I realize that is purely my opinion. I prefered the non alternating background with solid lines. I suppose at the very least, I would prefer the borders to be solid lines. It might just be busy to me because I'm using Mira-Bluegray. That means it's all alternating grey and black and the dashes are white on black. It's no optical illusion, but it might add to why I think it feels "busy." Nor is the dashed line neat, it combines in some places and then disjoins. The dashes on the side will join, and if I scroll them off screen then back on, they'll be back to dashes, then scroll off again, and it's lines. Nor are the lines made neat, they wil often be broken up as well or might just be one line halfway down and dashed just find the rest of the way. It changes seemingly randomly, though I suppose it could have something to do with pixel alignment (res is 1024x768 with 32bit color btw.)

Also, I noticed this with the spamming of Spoiler in the FLK threads, having to many on the page can slow it down. It's not that significant fofr me, it just makes it more jumpy on scroll. The effect is a lot stronger if several are opened as well. While this isn't a problem for me, I have broadband, and it may affect other with lower internet connection speeds or less PC processing power (or whatever is involved in the use of Javascript,) to a much greater extent.

At first I thought this wasn't a big deal, since generally in FKL it's spam. But then I remembered places like off-topic with frequent movie and new game topics, that are often filled with spoiler tags. I'm not saying the new spoiler tags should be revoked or anything, to me they are fine. I'm just throwing that out there.

Ryna
Nov 12, 2007, 06:57 PM
Through the miracles of CSS, the appearance of quote and spoiler can be altered fairly easily. That includes changing the border, colors, interior fonts, etc. If people have some constructive suggestions, I'm open to hearing and trying them.

Also, I'm sure the spoiler fad in FKL will pass within a couple of days. The tag will then be used more within its intended context. If that doesn't prove to be the case, we have ways of remedying the situation.

Sord
Nov 12, 2007, 07:33 PM
how about changing the border color on mira-bluegrey theme to the same blue that is on the top and bottom of the quick reply of the same theme?

Sgt_Shligger
Nov 12, 2007, 08:52 PM
I would have to agree with Sord. I mistook a spoiler border for a quote border and made a post in this topic complimenting you guys on the change since it admittedly looked much better (I deleted the post so I wouldn't look foolish for complimenting a change that was not made http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif).

Weeaboolits
Nov 12, 2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, it'd be nice if quotes were given a solid border like the spoiler has, the dashed ones are kinda' blah.

mizukage
Nov 12, 2007, 10:56 PM
Sord does have a point. The dotted border looks somewhat...plain. On the other hand, since I don't have any suggestions of improvements, I think it is best I remain quiet about it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif On the contrary, by replacing the current dotted border of the quotes with a solid border, newbies and returners might get confused over whether its a spoiler or quote. I don't know...

More over, it is possible that people with different resolution displays and also a different site theme may view the new quote and spoiler tags with a different impression. I don't see any problems, yet further improvements may sound good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

VanHalen
Nov 12, 2007, 11:10 PM
I like the new changes so far nice work!

Though I think it would be nice to change the quote border to these http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

60 bannanas if you do ;o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-11-12 20:10 ]</font>

Sord
Nov 12, 2007, 11:29 PM
On 2007-11-12 20:20, Sord wrote:
I like the spoiler thing for the ability to condense things, like a large image without linking or wals of text. It would be nice if we could retain this type of spoiler, as well as the black spoiler for mid-sentence usage. Might as well drop this in site related via quotes, since some people seem to agree they like being able to spoiler mid-sentence without interuption. Maybe they can assign two BBcodes or something. I dunno, sure Ryna will though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2007-11-12 20:30 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Nov 12, 2007, 11:50 PM
On 2007-11-12 20:32, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
I saw on another forum they had blackout spoilers that would be revealed when you hovered over part rather than highlighting.Additionally, it would be neat if we could use the current spoiler function as well as the old one, maybe call the new one "hide" or something, since they'd both be good for different uses.

Though, I could see where this may be more trouble than is necessary, I'm just saying that I'd like to see it.

BlackHat
Nov 12, 2007, 11:56 PM
Mhmmm, not a big fan of the new spoiler tags.

The quote tags, however, are much better then the old "Hourglass" ones.

Ryna
Nov 13, 2007, 07:44 AM
I made the following tweaks this morning:

-The highlighting spoiler has returned and uses the [spoiler] tag.
-The new spoiler has been assigned its own bbcode tag. It is now known as [spoiler-box].
-An extra "Spoiler Box" button has been added to the new/reply thread control panels to distinguish between the two.

After looking over several of yesterday's threads, I came to the conclusion that both spoilers are useful. The first spoiler is good for hiding a small piece of text, while the latter is good for pictures/long pieces of text.

EDIT: I adjusted the code for quote so it uses solid lines along the top and bottom with alternating colors. I'll leave this version up for a few hours to see how it looks in general use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2007-11-13 05:08 ]</font>

Dhylec
Nov 13, 2007, 08:14 AM
A mix of old & new, this should please everyone. ;]

TheOneHero
Nov 13, 2007, 08:38 AM
Woo~

Excellent, I am pleased with these new updates. :3

Weeaboolits
Nov 13, 2007, 09:54 AM
Oi, excellent job, on this incorporation both spoilers, also, the lines on the quotes are much more aesthetically pleasing that that dashed box, I rather like how you put it now.

BlackHat
Nov 13, 2007, 10:02 AM
Ah. Thank you Ryna.

Weeaboolits
Nov 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
My only complaint with the new tags is that "spoiler-box" is a bit long for a tag, I'd prefer a short one like "hide", but either way is fine.

On an additional note, there's no spoiler box button on the edit screen.

And one last thing that's bothered me for some time, is there any way to change it so when I hit one of the BBCode buttons that it'd put the tag in my cursor's position rather than at the end of the post? I rarely use the buttons because of this.

Jaspaller
Nov 13, 2007, 12:02 PM
Much better now, Ryna. Nice work. Although I have to agree with Ronin, Spoiler-box is a little long and hide would be much better for those who type the tags rather than use the buttons.

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 01:34 PM
On 2007-11-13 05:14, Dhylec wrote:
A mix of old & new, this should please everyone. ;]

Awesome update, Ryna. Actually, I just notice the updates..

The new tweaks of the quotes and spoiler boxes are much better now. The quote tag isn't all that impressive. However, the combination of having the old spoiler tag for mid-sentence spoilers, yet having the new spoiler box tag for long spoilers and pictures can only be described with one word...IMPRESSIVE!!

[spoiler-box]I didn't know that you can have old spoiler tag and new spoiler tag at the same time. Actually, this is possible. I just didn't thought of seeing this one in PSO-W. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif [/spoiler-box]

astuarlen
Nov 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
Nice.
The new quote tag is quite purdy, though I'm going to be a big stinkin' nitter and point out that the tail of the Q is tangent to the top line (needs moar space, Cap'n!). Overall, it fits much better with the existing themes.
And hoorah for the spoiler tag's return.

Sord
Nov 13, 2007, 04:34 PM
wow, quotes look a lot better now

Ryna
Nov 13, 2007, 06:36 PM
The 'Q' in quote should no longer be touching the solid line in most browsers. Also, the "Edit" page has been updated.

Sekani
Nov 14, 2007, 09:40 AM
I've noticed a few people with the spoiler-box in their signature. Not sure exactly how yours works, but I've had issues in the past with javascript spoiler boxes in sigs, particularly when one person posts multiple times on the same page. Just thought I'd bring this to your attention.

Ryna
Nov 14, 2007, 10:04 AM
Can you PM me some specific examples? It is much easier to debug that way.

In certain versions of Firefox, the spoiler box may not work until the html for the page has fully loaded.