PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 7 Remake? (no new information here)

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 05:25 PM
Awhile back, it was speculated that Final Fantasy VII will be remade into a next-gen console, more specifically the ps3. However, it was later indicated that there won't be a remake and the hopes are down.

Considering the opening of FFVII: Crisis Core, doesn't it look somewhat similar to FFVII? I kinda think that the FFVII remake demo was no more than the Crisis Core development beta. What do you people think? Of course, it would be awesome if there is a FFVII remake, yet I believe there won't be one.

FFVII Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhpp0J79u1Q)

FFVII: Crisis Core (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bNkDmW7uU)

Weeaboolits
Nov 13, 2007, 05:27 PM
If they ever did end up remaking for a console I have, I'd certainly give it a rent, if only to see what all the hubbub's about.

TetsuyaHikari
Nov 13, 2007, 05:31 PM
Well, I've played through Crisis Core and I must say, it was a wonderful game, but..it should be only natural that most of it looks similar to FFVII, since they share the same universe.

FFVII: Crisis Core marks the 10th year anniversary for FFVII though and it's only part of a compilation. It is rather amusing though that, since this is a prequel to FFVII, after you beat Crisis Core, it says:

"To be continued in Final Fantasy VII"

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but...isn't it a little odd to be saying, "To be continued in Final Fantasy VII" when that game is like..ten years old now? I mean, I get what the purpose of it is, but MOST of the people who played Crisis Core, played it BECAUSE they have played FFVII already and wanted to know what happened before then, through the eyes of Zack.

I can't really say that there will be a FFVII remake for PS3, but..I guess if one came out at some point, I can honestly say, I wouldn't be surprised http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kikumaru on 2007-11-13 14:33 ]</font>

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 05:46 PM
Well.. I had played the Lufia games of SNES and... Lufia 2 was released before Lufia meaning that the first game is actually made in the image of a prequel, just like Crisis Core.

[spoiler-box]
At the end of Lufia, it said something similar to "to be continued in Lufia 2", even though Lufia 2 was made before Lufia. In this case, wouldn't it be possible that Crisis Core is doing the same thing?
[/spoiler-box]

Saner
Nov 13, 2007, 06:16 PM
Square-Enix would have to be the stupidest company in the world to not make a FF7 Remake. can you imagine how much that would sell? It would be a freaking system seller on top of that. even the Japanese community has made it clear to SE.

and in interviews, SE KNOWS that FF7 Remake is the most wanted game by fans, but one of the SE said "It's not a matter about creating a remake, it's about timing". so a remake is very possible in their minds, but it probably won't be revealed until later on when they feel they have the experience with the current technology to deliver it in the best possible way.

after all, why make a tech demo just to promote their FF7 spinoffs? they are learning a lot from the technology of today, especially from PS3, before bringing out their best cash cow, a FF7 Remake.

Final Fantasy 7 made Square what it is today (well before Sakaguchi screwed up by releasing a terrible movie and Square had to merge and recover from that devastating money pit).

and they can score success again with a FF7 Remake if they want to.

plus it would be easier to remake a story, characters and world than invent a new one.

THE OTHER REASON a FF7 Remake hasn't been announced yet is because the original FF7 is still playable on backwards compatible PS2, and PS3. that was one of SE's earlier excuses a few years ago.

but even so, SE has hinted at wanting to make a remake since the Japanese community especially are flooding their mailbox for it. It's just a matter of when's the right time to start working on it and reveal it.

but chances are they won't even consider it until FFXIII is out of the way, and if not after the FFXIII projects, then after the FFXIV project most likely.

also, at this rate, it's possible they are saving FF7 Remake for PS4, unless they master and decide to use the PS3 technology when it's at its peak of potential (probably 3-4 years from now).

logically it makes more sense to wait and make a FF7 remake on PS3 after they mastered the technology. cause look how good games like MGS3 are on PS2, compared to its first two generations of games.

heeheehee! I don't side with any system, although I prefer the Xbox360 this generation for the most part, but it would be interesting if they announce FF7 Remake for only Xbox360,
one primary good reason is because it would introduce FF7 story to Xboxers, who are stereotypically in general not familiar with FF7, especially the ones that started gaming around the Xbox era.

But on the other hand, Sony may have major influence on which system gets FF7 Remake, but nowadays, companies want to expand and port their games to more systems, as games get more costly to make to only profit from one console. so Xb's chances of getting it is 1 out of 100, but I'm just saying if SE sees it from a "introducing FF7 to a new community" sort of thing, since Sony consumers are stereotypically already familiar with FF7, in SE's eyes.

but as crazy as it sounds, it's all just speculation. realistically FF7 Remake is mor than likely to be on PS3 and exclusive to it.

but just the fact that a FF7 Remake will be made eventually is enough to not care which console gets it, since people will buy any of them to play the ultimate remake.

Saner
Nov 13, 2007, 06:18 PM
On 2007-11-13 14:46, mizukage wrote:
Well.. I had played the Lufia games of SNES and... Lufia 2 was released before Lufia meaning that the first game is actually made in the image of a prequel, just like Crisis Core.

[spoiler-box]
At the end of Lufia, it said something similar to "to be continued in Lufia 2", even though Lufia 2 was made before Lufia. In this case, wouldn't it be possible that Crisis Core is doing the same thing?
[/spoiler-box]

was Lufia games made by Square?

anyways , new times, new attitudes, new plans, new habits.

Square-Enix can remake FF7 anytime they want to. companies are around to make money, and FF7 Remake is the best cash cow they could ever create.

but I'm not talking a cheap portable remake or original port with prettier movies thrown in.

I'm talkin about a Resident Evil Remake-class quality type of remake for console.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2007-11-13 15:19 ]</font>

Kent
Nov 13, 2007, 06:29 PM
...Hold on.

Why is "To Be Continued in Final Fantasy VII" a message that's so strange, when the game is a prequel to Final Fantasy VII?

The oft-spoken PS3 tech demo was... Surprise! A technical demonstration... And that's all.

It was denied that the PS3 tech demo was from a game in development (and intelligent people still have no reason to believe it was from a game in development).

Basically: What was shown, isn't officially happening - of course, that doesn't shut up the people who are way too excited about it, because they believe in the off-chance that it will happen. I, personally, think that if they are planning to do one at some point, it'll probably be after they see how well FFXIII fares on the PS3 - based on penetration rates of the system, they have reason to think it might not do as well as their previous games.

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 06:49 PM
On 2007-11-13 15:16, Saner wrote:
[spoiler-box]
Square-Enix would have to be the stupidest company in the world to not make a FF7 Remake. can you imagine how much that would sell? It would be a freaking system seller on top of that. even the Japanese community has made it clear to SE.

and in interviews, SE KNOWS that FF7 Remake is the most wanted game by fans, but one of the SE said "It's not a matter about creating a remake, it's about timing". so a remake is very possible in their minds, but it probably won't be revealed until later on when they feel they have the experience with the current technology to deliver it in the best possible way.

after all, why make a tech demo just to promote their FF7 spinoffs? they are learning a lot from the technology of today, especially from PS3, before bringing out their best cash cow, a FF7 Remake.

Final Fantasy 7 made Square what it is today (well before Sakaguchi screwed up by releasing a terrible movie and Square had to merge and recover from that devastating money pit).

and they can score success again with a FF7 Remake if they want to.

plus it would be easier to remake a story, characters and world than invent a new one.

THE OTHER REASON a FF7 Remake hasn't been announced yet is because the original FF7 is still playable on backwards compatible PS2, and PS3. that was one of SE's earlier excuses a few years ago.

but even so, SE has hinted at wanting to make a remake since the Japanese community especially are flooding their mailbox for it. It's just a matter of when's the right time to start working on it and reveal it.

but chances are they won't even consider it until FFXIII is out of the way, and if not after the FFXIII projects, then after the FFXIV project most likely.

also, at this rate, it's possible they are saving FF7 Remake for PS4, unless they master and decide to use the PS3 technology when it's at its peak of potential (probably 3-4 years from now).

logically it makes more sense to wait and make a FF7 remake on PS3 after they mastered the technology. cause look how good games like MGS3 are on PS2, compared to its first two generations of games.

heeheehee! I don't side with any system, although I prefer the Xbox360 this generation for the most part, but it would be interesting if they announce FF7 Remake for only Xbox360,
one primary good reason is because it would introduce FF7 story to Xboxers, who are stereotypically in general not familiar with FF7, especially the ones that started gaming around the Xbox era.

But on the other hand, Sony may have major influence on which system gets FF7 Remake, but nowadays, companies want to expand and port their games to more systems, as games get more costly to make to only profit from one console. so Xb's chances of getting it is 1 out of 100, but I'm just saying if SE sees it from a "introducing FF7 to a new community" sort of thing, since Sony consumers are stereotypically already familiar with FF7, in SE's eyes.

but as crazy as it sounds, it's all just speculation. realistically FF7 Remake is mor than likely to be on PS3 and exclusive to it.

but just the fact that a FF7 Remake will be made eventually is enough to not care which console gets it, since people will buy any of them to play the ultimate remake.
[/spoiler-box]

I am using a spoiler box, because it is long and takes up almost a page.

Well... I believe the reason why there isn't a FF7 remake because it won't be as popular as it was in the past, now that there are tons of next-gen games with equally, if not even better storylines to go with.

More over, the idea of remaking FF7 is equally divided among video game players. Its not like everyone likes the idea. In fact, there are some people who are actually against it. I am not one of them, but I understand their point of view and somewhat agree with it.

About Square-Enix, it is one of my favorite video game makers. I don't think they are stupid for not releasing a remake of FF7, when it might not turn out good, considering that the original game was made 10 years ago. I also don't believe that it is the work of FF7 that made Square-Enix amazing nowadays. There are tons of awesome games made by Square-Enix. FF7 is just one of the huge list...

If FF7 is ever remade, it will probably end up on the ps3 list. I mean.. The Wii game listing is usually adventure games, like Metroid, Zelda, etc.. The Xbox list is full of first-person shooters. The playstation list is usually full of rpgs and FF7 tend to fall into the genre. Although I am looking forward to buy a ps3, FFXIII and FF Versus VIII, yet I might not buy a remake of FF7, but that depends on the price.

Saner
Nov 13, 2007, 07:28 PM
well yeah companies deny a lot of things, but many cases have proven they can change their minds, it's even happened in those cases that involve "exclusivity". look at Resident Evil 4.

Moo2u
Nov 13, 2007, 09:59 PM
I agree with Kent in that the "To be continued in Final Fantasy 7" doesn't seem odd at all. It's a prequel. Get it?

That being said, I see no reason for FF7 to be remade at this point, however if it would be, I would love to play it. I just see no reason for Square to be doing that when they have no many other new projects to look forward to.

Jife_Jifremok
Nov 13, 2007, 10:24 PM
I just wanna see them remake and expand the mingame where
you drive a motorcycle and bash the crap outta things with your sword.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-11-13 19:24 ]</font>

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 10:30 PM
On 2007-11-13 19:24, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

That isn't even a mini-game, it happens in the first disc, if I remember it correctly.

Well.. I quitted FF7, when I got defeated by the Emerald Weapon 10+ times in a row. My attacks were doing somewhat 300+ damage, while its attacks were 4-digits, something like 7000-9000.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
[spoiler-box]
[/spoiler-box]

I believe you are mistaken. The original Lufia was released in 1993, the sequel in 1995, the third in the series in 2001, and the most recent addition was in 2003. The only game in the series to bear a number clearly indicating that it is a sequel, however, is Lufia II, because at some point, it was determined that adding a bunch of other words to the title is more hip than adding a number-- coherency in sequence is apparently not hip.

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 10:40 PM
On 2007-11-13 19:37, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

[spoiler-box]
[/spoiler-box]

I believe you are mistaken. The original Lufia was released in 1993, the sequel in 1995, the third in the series in 2001, and the most recent addition was in 2003. The only game in the series to bear a number clearly indicating that it is a sequel, however, is Lufia II, because at some point, it was determined that adding a bunch of other words to the title is more hip than adding a number-- coherency in sequence is apparently not hip.

Oops!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DizzyDi
Nov 13, 2007, 10:44 PM
On 2007-11-13 18:59, Moo2u wrote:

I just see no reason for Square to be doing that when they have no many other new projects to look forward to.

Hey kids! Today we're going to learn about an interesting concept! Its called...MONEY!

Moo2u
Nov 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
Touche Dizzy, well played.

Saner
Nov 14, 2007, 01:12 AM
On 2007-11-13 19:24, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-11-13 19:24 ]</font>

I agree, that minigame will be jaw dropping GORGEOUS and INCREDIBLE!!!!!

and yes, that minigame is replayable at Gold Saucer.

just like the snowboarding minigame and others.

NPCMook
Nov 14, 2007, 04:02 AM
No we will not see a Final Fantasy 7 Remake for a long while, they are still milking the other cash cows of the other Final Fantasy games. They are working on FFIV for the DS in the same style of FFIII, then we still have maybe V and then of course VI.

To be honest I could careless about a FF7 remake, the game was awesome for its time, cool okay, its done, lets move on, end of story, bury it with E.T., launch it into the sun, STOP WITH IT ALREADY. I mean honestly do you REALLY want a whole new generation of kids running around squeeing about how awesome Sephiroth is, and then in every MMO game, message board, and so forth there are 90823764 people with some varaition of the name "Sephiroth" run a qoute line running so long you can't even tell when 1 isn't talking to himself. I say keep it PSone graphics just so when you have kids of your own and you want to show them an awesome game you can pull out your artifact called a PSone or whatever console you choose to play it on and show them the how awesome graphics were back when you were a kid, back when story line > graphics, back when character development > lots of frikkin Teen angst.

But seriously... No FF7 remake till the FFVI remake for DS(or if nintendo releases another system before hand) comes out

amtalx
Nov 14, 2007, 08:18 AM
FF7 is one of the most overrated games of all time. It's good, but overrated. Not the best in the series by far. If Sony wants me to by a PS3, how about something NEW.

mizukage
Nov 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
On 2007-11-14 01:02, NPCMook wrote:
To be honest I could careless about a FF7 remake, the game was awesome for its time, cool okay, its done, lets move on, end of story, bury it with E.T., launch it into the sun, STOP WITH IT ALREADY. I mean honestly do you REALLY want a whole new generation of kids running around squeeing about how awesome Sephiroth is, and then in every MMO game, message board, and so forth there are 90823764 people with some varaition of the name "Sephiroth" run a qoute line running so long you can't even tell when 1 isn't talking to himself.

Totally agreed!!!

Kylie
Nov 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
I would like to see a remake come out because, as soon as I broke down and bought a copy, the graphics were too outdated for me to get full enjoyment out of the game. Maybe that'll be different with a next-gen version.

Ketchup345
Nov 14, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'd like to see it (and many other games, especially other Final Fantasy games and the Lunar series) get re-released. No changes from the PS1 versions, keep the graphics the same. The biggest change I'd like to see would be allowing the use of the analogue sticks to games that don't support them (if I remember correctly, FFVII couldn't use them) and condensing them onto one disk. Maybe even put a few games on one disk (such as what SE did with say FF 1+2).

Saner
Nov 14, 2007, 11:19 PM
On 2007-11-14 11:37, Kylie wrote:
I would like to see a remake come out because, as soon as I broke down and bought a copy, the graphics were too outdated for me to get full enjoyment out of the game. Maybe that'll be different with a next-gen version.

yeah that's the case with me when I played PSIV then later on tried out PS1. it was too outdated for me that I rather play the remake.

Rashiid
Nov 15, 2007, 09:12 AM
Just a better graphic`d FF7 would make me want to play.
Or talking, text gets lengthy.

And maybe a more active battle, like in FFX-2.

Saner
Nov 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
On 2007-11-15 06:12, Rashiid wrote:
Just a better graphic`d FF7 would make me want to play.
Or talking, text gets lengthy.

And maybe a more active battle, like in FFX-2.

they really should add 3 player co-op for battles, but no chance of that. I was surprised Tri-Ace never bothered to add 3 player o-op in Star Ocean 3,

but they added 2 player co-op to Valkyrie Profile 2, which is strange cause its battle system is geared for co-op like Star Ocean 3 or FF7 would fit right in with.

I mean in Anthology, FF4 and FF6 were given 2 player co-op (it could've been 4-5 player co-op if they allowed assigning each character to a controller like they allow with 2 players but it's the PS2's fault for having a limit to 2 ports, that companies rarely want to bother supporting the multi-adapter. )

but yeah if FF7 remake keeps its original battle system, 3 player co-op would be nice, even though basically each controller would command a separate character. but it would still be better and inviting than passing the 1P controller.

the thing is, perspective/camera and playability. usually a 3rd person camera has to zoom out depending on the size of the battlefield.

if FF7's battles take place on the field like in FF11/12, then it would be tricky keeping all 3 players within the camera. I think this is why The Bouncer was only single player in story.

but if battles are transitional, multiplayer access and field boundaries can help isolate and control how far apart each party member can move during battle.

well as long as FF7 doesn't get dumbed down like Crisis Core (no real manual combos like KH, and no party members like Dirge of Cerberus) then itll be okay even with its basic battle system just with better graphics. they should get rid of that window on the bottom that covers like almost half the screen.

If they line of the status like FF8/11/12, taht would be better.

but ya, turn-based wise (no movement control), FFX-2 did have the best paced battle system before FF11 and 12.
it woulda been more fun if you could control the camera though.

but ya if its turn based with no movement control, they should throw in co-op, that would promote their game even further, and would convince some people to play the game with others instead of pulling out a first person shooter to play something multiplayer.

but ya I love FFX-2 for its campy humor and awesome dresssphere system. although I'm mad international didn't come here. Psychiser is soooo cool. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

TetsuyaHikari
Nov 17, 2007, 09:23 PM
I don't know, I just thought it was a little odd, personally..to see, "To be continued in Final Fantasy VII", because FFVII was released TEN years ago. Yes, I find that to be odd.

Why? Because they are advertising for a game which has come and gone many years ago. It was released ten years ago, which is almost half of my life, that's a LONG time to wait and advertise about something like that.

Yes, it was stated that the tech demo was JUST a demo to show off the power of the PS3, however..just because someone denies something and keeps it under wraps, does that mean you should believe them? They could be saying that to cover up the fact that maybe they ARE actually remaking FFVII.

Nowhere is it stated that they have to tell the truth to their fans. If they lie to us, what are you going to do? Sue them? Good luck with that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Anyway, I don't mind games having prequels..just don't, you know..make it ten years later, trying to change the story around >.>

EDIT: Spellcheck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kikumaru on 2007-11-17 18:26 ]</font>