PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Marketplace to allow gamers to download original X

Getintothegame
Nov 13, 2007, 06:03 PM
"Look out, Virtual Console" (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/13/fall-xbox-360-dashboard-update-revealed-download-halo-december/)

Official Xbox Magazine has the scoop on the Fall Xbox 360 dashboard update, and you better believe it's a doozy. UK-based CVG reports that the December 2 update will allow 360 owners to download and play Microsoft-published Xbox 1 games on their 360s.

Let's say that one more time: come December 2, you will be able to download full, original Xbox games to the Xbox 360. The initial list of available games includes Fable, Indigo Prophecy, Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex, Burnout 3, and, of course, Halo: Combat Evolved.

Games will cost approximately 1200 Microsoft Points, or $15 USD. Microsoft plans on re-releasing as many Xbox 1 titles as possible through Marketplace. Look out, Virtual Console.

Thoughts?

DizzyDi
Nov 13, 2007, 06:05 PM
The initial list is pretty crappy but I'm sure some good games will be on the way.
Maybe some games that didn't get enough exposure the first time around.

Getintothegame
Nov 13, 2007, 06:08 PM
*waits for the PSO hopefuls*

I'm trying to think of some Xbox games that I'd like to see re-released in this way... eh, there aren't many that pop in my head. Anyway, this should be interesting for competition in places like Gamestop and EB, now.

It's going to also be interesting to see how they partner up with other publishers/developers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2007-11-13 15:18 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Nov 13, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'd like to see Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, Kingdom Under Fire, & Phantom Dust.

Darkly
Nov 13, 2007, 06:16 PM
I bet you will see games released for download far quicker than updating their backwards compatability.

It's a nice idea, but with the murky waters of downloaded content, I bet you will see popular games not added to the backwards compatability creeping onto arcade very quickly.

McLaughlin
Nov 13, 2007, 06:18 PM
On 2007-11-13 15:10, DizzyDi wrote:
I'd like to see Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie, Kingdom Under Fire, & Phantom Dust.

That list better not be in order of importance. >_>

Also, Jade Empire. Yes please.

Jaspaller
Nov 13, 2007, 06:26 PM
PSO pl0x. I hope this will at least enable us to sign into xbox live for original xbox games. It's pretty annoying knowing you're playing a game that doesn't use the capabilities of xbox live one bit.

ABDUR101
Nov 13, 2007, 06:38 PM
You're fucked if you've only got a 20gyg HD though. The video marketplace was a neat idea, but you're screwed if you intended to use it extensively. So, yeah, this is a neat idea, but the games are going to have to take advantage of the 360's inherit abilities that we're all used to before I'll bother with it. My original Xbox is right underneath my 360, I can go spend $10 and get pretty much any Xbox game I want.

I'm sure it'll come in handy for those who don't have the original or just want a game at random anyway. Though if they were smart they'd offer Xbox games for rent for 100ms points or so, that way people can continually rotate what games they want to play rather than buy something and be stuck with it. I'd rent games more often than I'd buy them. One of those moments where "Hey, I feel like kicking some ass in that game.." and I'll rent it, get my fill, then if I want to buy it the option is always there, or I can play it, beat it, move on and rent something else.

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think people like the idea of downloading Xbox games onto their X360, when the hard drive of the X360 is limited in terms of holding capacity. And so, the idea of not releasing Xbox game discs in the long run is actually bad, unless people don't mind buying a second X360 to store more games. This is the only thing I don't like about the X360, too many games rely on the Xbox Live idea which is slightly flawed to start off with. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Kendrik
Nov 13, 2007, 06:43 PM
If not for the dratted lack of backward compatibility, I would definitely prefer to just buy the game discs in stores. For one thing, a majority of the top-notch games I've yet to pick up from the original Xbox are at or below the $10 mark.

I just wish backward compatibility or this Marketplace setup would give me PSO. Then again, I guess the backward compatibility of the Wii lets me play Episodes I, II, and III, anyway.

Darkly
Nov 13, 2007, 06:47 PM
you can always upgrade your HDD mizukage to the 120 gb, or buy the elite to begin with.

A rental idea would be nice too, but it does sound to difficult to impliment properly, piracy may become a problem though with people paying for rentage and then unlocking the full game for example.

Rubius-sama
Nov 13, 2007, 07:31 PM
I'd really like to see Panzer Dragoon Orta and Riddick: EFBB, Shenmue II, Phantom Dust, and Ninja Gaiden...but none of those are MS-published. =/

PSO Ep.1 and II would be nice as well.

I'm actually really excited about the video marketplace coming to Canada and EU. I already got an Xbox 360 Elite because I'll be downloading a lot of HD episodes and renting movies too. There's also the dashboard-wide guild/clan feature that's supposed to be coming out.

ABDUR101
Nov 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
On 2007-11-13 15:47, Darkly wrote:
you can always upgrade your HDD mizukage to the 120 gb, or buy the elite to begin with.

A rental idea would be nice too, but it does sound to difficult to impliment properly, piracy may become a problem though with people paying for rentage and then unlocking the full game for example.

People already download 360 games and have modded 360's, you're not going to stop it from happening to an extent. Might aswell offer what you can so everyone who does things the honest way have all options available.

StrongFiend
Nov 13, 2007, 08:18 PM
Id like to see pso i never new about that game when i still owned my xbox and id love to try it cant on my pc its crap

Sinue_v2
Nov 13, 2007, 11:30 PM
This is a great idea, until your console RRD's and all your downloaded games become worthless on your other gamertags, or if you're offline due to MS's retarded DRM.

Really, MS did an alright job getting their backwards compatible list filled up with not only popular, but niche and quality titles such as Panzer Dragoon, Psychonauts, Outrun 2, etc. as well. Aside from TJ&E3 and PSO, all my Sega games work on it. Although it's not 100%, it's a decent effort I think. Hopefully they can "rework" some of the titles they're putting up for download - such as adding XBL features to Halo:CE, or at least allowing you to access Live and Soundtracks and whatnot while playing an old XB180 game.

But yeah, again, those with 20GB HDD's are screwed.

Now if MS really wanted to impress me, they'd build and Emulator for the Dreamcast and put up DC games for download or play from original disk.

DizzyDi
Nov 13, 2007, 11:32 PM
On 2007-11-13 20:30, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Now if MS really wanted to impress me, they'd build and Emulator for the Dreamcast and put up DC games for download or play from original disk.

Lulz, only in a perfect world.

Moo2u
Nov 13, 2007, 11:36 PM
I agree with Abdur. When in doubt, always agree with Abdur....

I sounds awesome that they'll even offer this option though!

Kendrik
Nov 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
On 2007-11-13 20:32, DizzyDi wrote:

True, but I would definitely be on board for that.

I shouldn't have ever sold my Dreamcast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

mizukage
Nov 13, 2007, 11:44 PM
On 2007-11-13 20:38, Kendrik wrote:

On 2007-11-13 20:32, DizzyDi wrote:

True, but I would definitely be on board for that.

I shouldn't have ever sold my Dreamcast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Sold your dreamcast? OMG!!! How much does it worth? I wouldn't do that, if I were you.

amtalx
Nov 14, 2007, 08:21 AM
This is a cool feature...I'll never use it, but it's nice nonetheless.

Jaspaller
Nov 14, 2007, 03:19 PM
It's also on the xbox.com website for those who haven't seen it yet

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xboxoriginals/issues.htm

Lulz, known issues that they couldn't fix.