PDA

View Full Version : Link's Crossbow Training / Wii Zapper

Genoa
Nov 21, 2007, 04:12 PM
I was at gamestop earlier today (trying to get AoI for PS2, WHICH WAS DELAYED FROM THEIR SHIPMENT!)... and pick up SoulCalibur Legends for Wii... when I saw this nifty Wii accessory. I had seen the gun sling thingy for $19.99 for a while, but this gun was a bit niftier.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2007/7/wii-zapper.jpg

and it was like, $25, and it came with:

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/linkscrossbowtrainingwiiboxart_160w.jpg

Which is actually quite fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
There's 8 or 9 levels (can't remember) and 3 stages in each level. There's some bosses and stuff, riding Epona and shooting, going down the raft on Zora's river (quite a few levels from Twilight Princess).

But yeah, it's a nice cheap accessory with a pretty neat game.
I'd compare it ... When you bought the Wii and got Wii Sports, and you found out that Wii Sports is actually pretty fun? It's kind of like that. Getting something for free with what you really wanted... and finding out that free thing is pretty neat http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Not to mention the Wii Zapper will be useful for more upcoming games. Right now it's like, Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, all that stuff. <_>

Weeaboolits
Nov 21, 2007, 04:58 PM
That looks neat.

Sord
Nov 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
does it eat up any more batteries?

Randomness
Nov 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
Probably not, I think its just a holder for the controller.

Genoa
Nov 21, 2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, it's just a holder. The remote snaps in in the back, the upper wire that meets with end of the nunchuk is snaped into place and two little prongs go up into the where the nunchuk's screw holes are to help keep it in place. Then in the that slanted part of the holder, you pull that off, and you can strap the wire from the nunchuck and remote around (like a vacuum cord) and then snap it into place, and there it is http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Split
Nov 21, 2007, 09:07 PM
lol Wii Zapper... I can picture some suit telling them in a press conference that they can "do anything but call it a gun, Nintendo..." That company is really starting to f***ing disgust me...

Cool that the game's kinda fun, but I'd rather play something more...fully featured. It seems as though something like that is gonna be somewhat lacking in the Wii library of games for a long time.

Genoa
Nov 21, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure if I completely agree... <_>
I also am kind of proud of Nintendo trying to keep the name of their products as "E for everyone" as possible. I mean, it is geared to ALL users, and if the accessories and equipment are for any and all games, then it should be labeled in a way that suitable to everyone, even children.

Also, the lacking of shooter games with this accessory seems like a big doubt to me. I recall plently of shoot-em ups for arcades using those silly guns wired to the machine. They're quite popular. Wii having the ability to bring the idea of a remote sensored "gun" into upcoming games seems like a huge opportunity and advantage over the other new gen systems.

EDIT:
More about Link's Crossbow Training:
There's a multiplayer mode, but probably not the kind you think there would be =/
It's alternative, not simultaneous. You create your own file and it uses your Mii face to differentiate between files. Your scores on Score mode are saved to your individual file.

After the 3 stages of a Level, if you scored at least 20,000 points, you can unlock the next level, earning a Bronze Award. (40,000 for Silver, 60,000 for Gold)
The way the point system works, is for each Consecutive shot, it multiplies up by +1. So if you make a shot, you can earn (for example) 50 points. Shoot another and earn 50 x2, shoot another and earn 50 x3 (and it keeps going, one time I got x38) But the first miss, or if you shoot the wrong type of target, it starts over (if you shoot an incorrect target, it's -100 points)

There's also scenery items you can shoot, it's only about 5-50 points, and they don't multiply, but sometime they contain a coin that you can shoot and earn like... 850 points or something. Sometimes a Fairy comes out and gives you 1000 points.

Some levels require you to move around with the analog stick =D which is pretty neat.

OH, and if you shoot a target with a green aura around them, your crossbow gains auto-fire, where you get like, 99 auto-crossbow bullets. Hold down the trigger and lay down the thunder.

Then on multiplayer you pick the files you want to play with (up to 4), then you play alternatively throughout each stage, passing the Wii Zapper to the next player.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-11-21 19:08 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Nov 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
I want this, along with the exclusive Zelda DS that comes with Phantom Hourglass.

Nyreal
Nov 21, 2007, 11:19 PM
Hoo... This game looks to be pretty sweet for the price.

Trust me, I know my deals. I just spent fourty dollars on AoI! /sarcasm

Anyhoo... Does this mean that Link will use a Crossbow in the next Wii game?

Sord
Nov 22, 2007, 12:44 AM
does anyone testify to their actual accuracy going up though? The controller looks a bit... akward, to hold. Looks like you would need both hands just to hold, which means both arms (or torso movement) has to be used for aiming, rather than just simple hand and wrist movements. Some people might like that, but I can't say I would.

Genoa
Nov 22, 2007, 12:56 AM
The point of two hands is so that you can walk around and move with the nunchuk. You can very easily use all the functions of the nunchuk, but pressing buttons on the top of the remote are slightly more challenging.

But if Nintendo makes games that recommend the use of the wii zapper, I'm sure they'd make it easy on controls to do so.

And I actually find it more accurate to hold with both hands. The rear hand can steady the holder when I fire and I can very smoothly turn my cross-hair by pushing/pulling with the rear hand in the opposite direction on the screen to aim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2007-11-21 21:58 ]</font>

Esufer
Nov 24, 2007, 09:26 AM
Can you still play without the zapper holder?

And would it work for other games, like Metroid?

Randomness
Nov 24, 2007, 01:04 PM
The zapper holder is just plastic...

Also, for those mocking/complaining about the name, please realize the light gun for the original NES was called the Zapper.

Kendrik
Nov 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
On 2007-11-24 10:04, Randomness wrote:
The zapper holder is just plastic...

Also, for those mocking/complaining about the name, please realize the light gun for the original NES was called the Zapper.

+1

I picked up the Zapper/Crossbow Training bundle a few days ago. The Zapper feels pretty good. Due to the camera and IR light nature of the Wii and Wii-remote, you can't expect light gun precision from anywhere in the room. If you position yourself correctly, you can get pretty close to the precision of looking down a gun's sights.

For further use of the Zapper, I rented Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. That is definitely fun. Sure, you could play the game without the zapper, but I definitely get a combination of the arcade feel and zombie spook factor that I haven't found anywhere else.

[off topic]Side note: I miss arcades that were actually decent.[/off topic]

I haven't tried playing any games with the Zapper that weren't designed for it, but here is what I find to likely be the case. First of all, you would have to hold the foregrip differently in order to reach the buttons on the Wiimote. This isn't too terrible (I've held it in that fashion out of curiosity). Shooters that require shaking of the Numchuck may cause difficulty in maintaining aim. However, if a game requires motion in the Wiimote and Numchuck be distinct, you simply won't be able to pull that off.

Still, there are already at least three full games (not including Crossbow Training) designed with the Zapper in mind: RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, and Ghost Squad. Oh, and don't forget the mini-game in Wii Play that borrows from Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley.

Anyway, I think I've done enough promotion of the Zapper for now. Bottom line: I enjoy it, and it was worth my money.

ljkkjlcm9
Nov 24, 2007, 09:36 PM
I hear that you're actually more accurate without the Wii zapper, and it's really a crap accessory with no real use
you don't actually aim at the point on the screen to shoot it, so it doesn't work like you'd think

THE JACKEL

KodiaX987
Nov 25, 2007, 08:30 AM
DERAIL TIME LULZ!

Was Soulcalibur Legends any good? I'm considering buying that.