PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me they aren't ACTUALLY this stupid

Egg99
Nov 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
I just took my daily quick glance at the DB, and noticed a new entry: "Shato".

Yes, Shato.

I AM talking about the Sato Mag. The same Sato that has been Sato since PSO, and that was in the beta, and now after english translation, is being called "Shato". Are you kidding me?! How the hell do you mistranslate Jao and Shato, after they've already been in the previous games for years??

Has anyone else noticed any other disgustingly retarded translations of AoI items so far? =/

Deissa
Nov 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
Jigo Booma...
They're not even consistent with PSU's translations. Badira vs Go Bajilla.

Esufer
Nov 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
Oh, don't even get me started on the APPALLING translation of Damubarta and Fortecher.
Whoever decided they were called Dambarta and Fortetecher needs to jump off a cliff.

I mean, don't you think Damubarta sounds more natural because of the U?

I know I do.

Deissa
Nov 24, 2007, 12:08 PM
On 2007-11-24 09:05, Esufer wrote:
Oh, don't even get me started on the APPALLING translation of Damubarta and Fortecher.
Whoever decided they were called Dambarta and Fortetecher needs to jump off a cliff.

I mean, don't you think Damubarta sounds more natural because of the U?

I know I do.

I'm sure there's a point to that, but since the item is clearly meant to be a reference to PSO stuff, it'd be common sense to assume they'd use the same translation that was used before in PSO. But congrats on missing the point anyway.

Pengfishh
Nov 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
So it's a little different. You'll adjust.

VanHalen
Nov 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
You can make a background story with it. Guhral scientist probably found a Sato floating in space though because of the complex look of the Pioneer 2 citizen's language the best they could translate it to was Shato. Then again I'm just talking out the ass here.

ThEoRy
Nov 24, 2007, 12:25 PM
How come Lutz is also called Noah? Who knows? Maybe they mistranslated it the first time. Or maybe they slightly changed it on purpose like how Motav/Motavia = Moatoob, Palma = Parum, Dezo/Dezolis = Newdaiz. Sega's great like that.

ThEoRy
Nov 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
On 2007-11-24 09:16, VanHalen wrote:
You can make a background story with it. Guhral scientist probably found a Sato floating in space though because of the complex look of the Pioneer 2 citizen's language the best they could translate it to was Shato. Then again I'm just talking out the ass here.

Not really, as far as i've heard aren't the madoogs/shadoogs considered replicas of the originals?

VanHalen
Nov 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, so they could've used the name they translated and put it on everything. Still just my version of why they were made http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mewn
Nov 24, 2007, 01:35 PM
Best one I've seen so far: Falclaw got translated as Falclaw.

That probably seems reasonable until you find out that Fal is the Japanese name for Rika from PSIV, and the weapon is actually Rika's Claw from PSO (which I assume was Fal Claw on the JP version).

Whoops.

Honourable mention goes to GRM Rod, which isn't a mistranslation as such, but is so-called because Sega mistranslated rodou (the JP name for Yohmei rods) as rod in the original game, causing a name conflict.

Skuda
Nov 24, 2007, 02:51 PM
On 2007-11-24 09:05, Cadamar wrote:
Jigo Booma...
They're not even consistent with PSU's translations. Badira vs Go Bajilla.

Jigo Booma makes sense though. That's how it's supposed to be pronounced. Gigo or otherwise.

Sayara
Nov 24, 2007, 02:56 PM
Ge Go.
Actually i like Dambarta. It has a nice ring to it~

DizzyDi
Nov 24, 2007, 05:16 PM
I coulda swore we already had the fortecher/fortetecher discussion.

Powder Keg
Nov 25, 2007, 12:12 AM
Silly people....Shato is just a Sato that shat all over the place.

Nai_Calus
Nov 25, 2007, 09:13 AM
Now you people finally understand why I hate Satos. (Rati forever!)

XoAmaterasuoX
Nov 29, 2007, 01:25 PM
Warning +1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-11-29 16:44 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Nov 29, 2007, 06:27 PM
Your amateur attempt at trolling has left me snickering.

Yes, this is PSU, you're absolutely right.

Now, let me let you in on a little secret. I play the Japanese version of PSU. All the text and item names are, shockingly, in their original Japanese. I've also played Japanese versions of PSO, with the item names again, in Japanese. Now, for those items which appear in PSU as an exact copy of PSO items, guess what happens?

The names are exactly the same.

Consequently the only interpretation is the OP's, which is that SoA's translators are flaming idiots who have never even heard of PSO, much less played it. Nor for that matter have they apparently heard of or played any of the PS games.

The Sato madoog should be called Sato, not Shato. Falclaw should be Rika's Claw. Etc.

Sord
Nov 29, 2007, 06:48 PM
Well, since I certainly cannot read Japanese characters, is there any chance some of new names are closer to the actual Japanese pronounciation than PSO?

Like what Skuda was talking about with Gigo and Jigo. I always said "gig" like in gigabyte, not "jig" as in the dance.

[/small](now watch it be my luck that the "i" has the I sound http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ) [/small]

Sinue_v2
Nov 29, 2007, 07:11 PM
Sega of America has historically modified stories and names of Sega of Japan's games. Phantasy Star has been particularly guilty of this. The inconsistencies are so bad that some consider the JP and US versions two completely different series (Hence, the idea that Noah isn't Lutz persists, because the JP original canon isn't acknowledged).

If PSU had gotten the translations RIGHT and kept their consistency, THAT would have been a major shocker.