PDA

View Full Version : AotI-PC/PS2: PS2 slimline overheat?

DoubleJG
Nov 28, 2007, 02:53 PM
I just recently started playing AOI via PS2 since I don't have it for my PC yet. My question is this:

How many hours into playing should I start worrying about it overheating? Or better yet, how long have you played on your slimline without anything negative happening?

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
I've had mine on for like a 12-hour stretch on occasion. Why would a PS2 overheat lol. Like they're that powerful.

DoubleJG
Nov 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
People were talking about the slimline PS2 not having a fan, therefore it overheats very quickly. Is your PS2 the slimline model?

If it is a slimline model, then wow... a 12-hour stretch sounds like quite the fun afternoon http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Mendou
Nov 28, 2007, 03:13 PM
I've played a slimline PS2 for 16 hours at a time without it overheating. Then again, I don't have it sitting on the carpet either ^_-

DoubleJG
Nov 28, 2007, 03:16 PM
I have it sitting on a wooden toychest. Is that alright? (I'd imagine that it would be since I dust it occassionally to pick up and dust that possibly builds up on it over time.

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah my PS2's a slimline. Don't they have a fan? Either mine does or the DVD drive is just that noisy when PSU's on. Either way it's sitting on top of a little shelf.

12 hours... yeah a fun afternoon for the kids and wife. I'm always doing chores.

HFlowen
Nov 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
I do overnight Bullet leveling every night and it's fine.

On some rare occasions certain graphics start getting flakey so I turn it off for a while.

RedCoKid
Nov 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
On 2007-11-28 12:16, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
I have it sitting on a wooden toychest. Is that alright? (I'd imagine that it would be since I dust it occassionally to pick up and dust that possibly builds up on it over time.

If you're concerned, you could buy a cooling rack from the baking section of any department store.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Nov 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
I've had my shit on all day a few times and nothing happened(and it's kinda old).Now the fat one overheats, I know this for a fact.The X box can start a fire(no joke!!!!!) if you leave it on too long(watch your wires in the back of the system.

O yeah, I have it on the floor or on a shelf.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DA_SHIZZLE_IG on 2007-11-28 17:34 ]</font>

DoubleJG
Nov 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
Interesting; I wonder why so many people complained about overheating then on other forums (not necessarily with PSU or anything).

I appreciate all of the feedback.

@RedCoKid: A cooling rack..? What are those normally used for, and do you use one?

mizukage
Nov 30, 2007, 01:13 AM
Rather than asking about how many hours it take for your slim ps2 to be overheated, shouldn't say just how many hours can you play a day?? The only reason why your slim ps2 would be overheated is that you try to play more than 10 hours non-stop or many many more hours in one go.

RedCoKid
Nov 30, 2007, 11:56 AM
On 2007-11-28 20:55, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
@RedCoKid: A cooling rack..? What are those normally used for, and do you use one?

Cookies, and yes.

watashiwa
Nov 30, 2007, 07:15 PM
PS2 slimlines do have a fan, although small ones. (I've opened mine up before..)

They shouldn't overheat no matter how long you play... I accidentally left mine on during a long Monster Hunter session before, it was running a few days with the title and FMV repeating itself.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It's just fine and dandy.

DoubleJG
Dec 1, 2007, 03:50 AM
On 2007-11-30 16:15, watashiwa wrote:
PS2 slimlines do have a fan, although small ones. (I've opened mine up before..)

They shouldn't overheat no matter how long you play... I accidentally left mine on during a long Monster Hunter session before, it was running a few days with the title and FMV repeating itself.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It's just fine and dandy.

Ah, good to hear it. Thanks wata'

Reginaldo
Dec 5, 2007, 05:14 PM
I have over 5k hours (mostly afk) on my main, 99.8% of which is on my slim PS2. My PS2 only gets turned off during maintenence. I've never had a problem at all with it.