PDA

View Full Version : How would I go about maximizing my settings?

Zorafim
Nov 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
Pretend all I know about using a computer is using a mouse and keyboard. How can I get PSU to run as quickly and beautifully as possible, while still being able to my music player and Firefox?

ZeroVer01
Nov 28, 2007, 06:40 PM
Well, first off, lets see your computer information first.

Start>Run>dxdiag

Tell me your processor, amount of ram, and gpu.

Some basic things you can do though, are defragging your hdd. Right click My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Defragmenter, and click Defrag.

Open up the task manager, and close any extra applications, like virus scanners, torrents, junk software.

Use the autogear software. There have been numerous topics about this, but you should find it in this topic:
Link (http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=21715)

Running the media player, and firefox along with the game should not be a problem. Unless you have a really crappy CPU, and a small amount of Ram.

As for in game settings, that is going to be dependent on your GPU.

Zorafim
Nov 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
Processor: AMD Athlong(tm), MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
And, erm, I'm not quite sure how to find my GPU.

I believe I've just recently defragmented. Getting rid of unneeded applications is the first thing I do when my computer is running too slowly.

I'll try that Autogear Softwear. What is it that it does, exactly?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-11-28 18:07 ]</font>

ZeroVer01
Nov 28, 2007, 09:00 PM
The GPU's information is available under the display tab in dxdiag.

As for autogear, basically it puts less priority on Gamegaurd. Basically, your computer is going to put it low on the priority list of things to do. Don't worry, you shouldn't have any problems in using it, and basically it frees up a little bit more resources on your computer. I use this software when I am playing PSU on my laptop.

Hmm... after looking at your processor, you are using a laptop, right?

That will limit what can be done. One thing you should really consider investing in, is some more ram. 256 is not enough by any means. Your processor is not the best also, so I would limit your multitasking as much as possible while gaming. The other limitation of laptops, is that it is nearly impossible to upgrade the GPU, so you are kind of stuck in that sense also. Have you tried upgrading your drivers on the laptop? That may give you a little bit of a performance increases.

Personally, if you are going to be gaming a lot on this computer, more ram is a must.

Zorafim
Nov 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
Actually, no. This is my home PC. I'll assume that its specs aren't impressive... It's probably pretty old. I also don't know much in the ways of updating this computer. How would I get more ram, or update other things?

I'm also not seeing anything called GPU. Does it have any other names?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-11-28 18:16 ]</font>

ZeroVer01
Nov 28, 2007, 09:33 PM
Hmm... its a home pc, that helps in being upgradable. What is the manufacturer, and model number?

As for the GPU, when you look at the display tab, what does it say under the Name category.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZeroVer01 on 2007-11-28 18:33 ]</font>

Zorafim
Nov 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
Name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: RADEON 9600 XT AGP (0x4152)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Appox.Total Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1280 x 960 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

On the plus side, I just remember that the person who put together this computer will be staying at my house for a few days. I may be able to get him to look at this and update it for me.

ZeroVer01
Nov 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
That GPU will need to be upgraded if you want to get better performance.

I guess, you could try overclocking it, if you feel like doing that.

My recommendations would be for your to try upgrading your drivers, and trying the other things I suggested for now.

As for quick and easy upgrades, I would get more ram, and a new GPU first.

Zorafim
Nov 28, 2007, 10:39 PM
So, I should be running the game with the low settings then? I guess I'll update my computer when my sister's boyfriend gets here, since he's the one who knows what to get.

ZeroVer01
Nov 28, 2007, 11:39 PM
Pretty much, run it on low settings, or you can decrease the resolution and run it on a little higher settings. Also, frame skip will be your friend.Turn of mipmapping, AF, shadow mapping, and if you are having a lot of problems, turn of post effects.

Blitzkommando
Nov 29, 2007, 08:52 PM
So, you're running an Athlon XP, have 256MB of memory, and a 9600 XT? You'd be best to just buy a new machine. The cost for upgrades for it would likely be more than the cost for a new computer and if you stuck with it you'd still get mediocre performance even if you did 'max it out'. It's generally a bad idea to mix new technology with a system that's 5 or more years old anyway. Just as a tidbit, by itself, PSU tends to use more than 256MB of memory.