PDA

View Full Version : Something everybody should know about Vol Opt. >_>;

Cloak
Jan 7, 2003, 04:09 PM
Okay, since sooo many people seem to not know.. On the Mines boss Vol Opt, ignore the screens completely, and aim for the little statue/totem things. The screens are pointless and a waste of time, they take long to get rid of, and even if you do get rid of them it's not gonna get you to his second form in most cases. But getting rid of all the "totems" will automatically enter the 2nd form.

This is especially important for challenge mode and whatnot for getting a good time.

I've been playing Mines alot lately and notice hardly anyone knows/does this. So there. 'k bye.

DeadlyLegato
Jan 7, 2003, 04:25 PM
Well unless I was dreaming, in the DC version at least you could simply take out the screens and you wouldn't have to worry about the totems whatsoever. If you destroy screens it still does damage to Volt Opt either way. However they might have changed how much damage Volt Opt has to take in order to go into his second form. I did notice Volt Opt seems to have more hp in the GC version so who knows. So I think provided you can do a good amount of damage, specially with mech guns, the screens can be just as important as the totems and aren't necessarily a waste of time.

Cloak
Jan 7, 2003, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but to get rid of 1st form the fastest, totems are best. Especially in Ult where screens can take a lot of damage. And most people blindly shoot screens without touching the red totem, only to get killed in one hit from Gibarta or shocked by Gizonde. -_-;

rena-ko
Jan 7, 2003, 04:42 PM
in dc-version i noticed that offline you can go after the screens and form 1 will be gone after you took out the last one, however online i realized that not every hit at the screens go through and hits vol opt itself... in c-mode then chances seem very low to hit him through the screens.
i think they made it like c-mode in ep1&2, didnt they?

edit: thesaurus...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-01-07 13:44 ]</font>

KraZZt
Jan 7, 2003, 04:43 PM
I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but Vol Opts first form has a set amount of hit points, and hitting the screens (since the totem poles are hidden at this time anyway) depletes his HP. I know this for sure because I took my lvl 90 character into Hard Mines and wiped away the screens with a red sword and got to the second stage without even destroying ANY of the little totems. And it can't really be a waste of time to hit the screens anyway since the little totems are under the surface at this time and can't be attacked...

Thus, destroying the screens are necessary, and kinda fun too I dunno why.

TeamPhalanx
Jan 7, 2003, 04:50 PM
There are two ways to beat the 1st form. The first is to reduce enough HP by destroying the screens/columns. This is a painstaking thing to do, since you have to destroy the lower 3 screen and cannot directly target the central screen - Targeting the central will destroy the entire thing, but you won't be able to take away enough HP.

The 2nd way is to destroy the 6 columns.

It's debatable which way is faster/more effective. If you're a FOrce/RAnger, it may be easier to go after the screens; HUnters will struggle to keep up since they have to run from screen to screen with a sword/partisan, so its probably better for them to target the 6 columns.

Personally, I just destroy everything (all screens, all columns). I just don't feel like waiting for Vol to move from screen to screen so the columns can appear. I destroy the screens so I can destroy the columns faster.

watashiwa
Jan 7, 2003, 05:07 PM
Vol Opt is a rehash of the Stage 2 Contra Boss. ;0;

Reven
Jan 7, 2003, 05:09 PM
Actually, in Normal, Hard and Very Hard, the totems are the way to go. In Ultimate, they take way to long and before I can destroy even one, I can get his second form just by shooting the screens a bunch of times. With a gun, you can hit the big screen, but rather go after the small ones, don't even get half the screens gone before he switches forms.
Another tip, I've found that using the weak shots does jsut about as much damage as strong shots, about to VP himself through the screens, about 95% of strong. And timing the shots right, he walks across the screen very slowly.

Cloak
Jan 7, 2003, 05:23 PM
I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but Vol Opts first form has a set amount of hit points,

I already know this, that's why I said "in most cases destroying all screens won't get you to form 2." It's just the HP is a lot, and the times my team did fight and destroy all screens, vol form 1 was still up and running. Had to kill 2+ more totems to enter 2nd form.

And even for those who don't want to do this in ult, or hard, etc. It's a common thing TA c-moders, or normal c-moders do to get through it faster.

watashiwa
Jan 7, 2003, 05:29 PM
Vol Opt's first form always dies when the totems are destroyed.

The fastest way to kill him in any difficulty mode is to just stand back, ignore the screens, and cast Gizonde on every totem pole at once when they come up. This even works in Ultimate mode, and quite fast I might add, especially with my FOmar. ;0;

Blenjar
Jan 7, 2003, 05:44 PM
His the most http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif boss ever.

Kasera
Jan 7, 2003, 05:52 PM
On normal-vhard when vol is on the screens, the best thing to do is to shoot the machine at the center of the arena until it falls down. That way in case he gets to cast gizonde on you, he'll short himself out and won't cast it again, giving you time to unshock. If its on the ceiling when he casts gizonde, he'll get to reload then shoot again which can be a pain

Kess
Jan 7, 2003, 06:18 PM
Heyyy, I didn't know that.

Thanks, now I'll be able to beat him when I try him offline [lmao, I try online and basically kill him with one hit .. im working with 3 other people at level 70-100 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif ]

Maelkith
Jan 7, 2003, 06:31 PM
vol opts first form has a set amount of hitpoints, but you can defeat him without depleting those by destroying just the pillars.

in c mode its very difficult to kill his first form the long way. the pillars are the source of his gizonde attack. so, destroy the red pillar and he cant fight back. "just pillars" is the battle cry most heard in c6. if you dont shoot at his screens he completes his 3 screen cycle faster too.

Webapprentice
Jan 7, 2003, 07:18 PM
On 2003-01-07 14:52, Kasera wrote:
On normal-vhard when vol is on the screens, the best thing to do is to shoot the machine at the center of the arena until it falls down. That way in case he gets to cast gizonde on you, he'll short himself out and won't cast it again, giving you time to unshock. If its on the ceiling when he casts gizonde, he'll get to reload then shoot again which can be a pain

I shot the ceiling amplifier down and it still reloaded. The important totem is the red one, because that's where the attack will be initiated. Attacking that one before it attacks disrupts the whole system.

Bringing the amplifier down slows down its reload if you don't attack the red totem right away.

I was just playing VH Opt and it was behaving like this. I kept trying to find the red totem.

KraZZt
Jan 7, 2003, 07:55 PM
Well whatever it is, Vol Opt is like the easiest boss from Normal to V Hard anyway, easier than the dragon I think, its possible to dodge every attack without having to be lucky (unlike DF and DRL)... I haven't played him on Ult yet so I have no room to talk in that situation. I also have no room to say that I waste time destroying the screens, becuase I wasted about 30 hours so far of play time trading and yackin.

RavenTW
Jan 7, 2003, 09:09 PM
As people have said, passing up a good oppurtunity to hurt Opt and going after the totems only is stupid. I say, hit whatever is hittable, when it is hittable. Of course, when the totems come up, concentrate on the red one first.

Annoy
Jan 7, 2003, 09:30 PM
Usually...I have someone (the strongest) attack the red totems. While the rest each attack a different totem. You take out maybe 3-4 totems that way, and then when they sink agian you just go for his screens. DOn't have to go for the screens...but you may get lucky and manage to kill him off while attacking the screens. Then when the totems pop up. Have all 4 attack a different one. He goes to his 2nd for pretty quickly that way. Though...I've only done this offline with a few friend so I could explain the situation. I'm thinking about taking it online and doing challenge mode. Though I won't explain it untill I get my keyboard...takes to long to manually write out X_x

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Annoy on 2003-01-07 18:32 ]</font>

Edit: I REALLY have to learn to spell http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Annoy on 2003-01-07 18:34 ]</font>

Hiirigazawa
Jan 7, 2003, 10:11 PM
On 2003-01-07 14:44, Blenjar wrote:
His the most http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif boss ever.

I actually think Vol Opt (either version) is the easiest boss in the game. (Yes, even easier than the normal Dragon)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hiirigazawa on 2003-01-07 19:11 ]</font>

rena-ko
Jan 8, 2003, 08:55 AM
nothing beats the normal dragon, he's (she's?) a joke and even with lvl003 RAcaseal/FOnewearl you could manage to not get hit even 1 time...

Maelkith
Jan 8, 2003, 09:09 AM
remind me not to play cmode with the "hit everything" people. see how well they fare against him with one dimate, no scapes and no moons.

Rain_1
Jan 8, 2003, 11:32 AM
there´s a "trick", per say, on the dc version (at least version one)..

if you wait till the first zonde hit, then hit the ceiling thing, his first form will die in like 10 secs....

i don't remember it perfectly, because i never actually cares about that (since i always go for the screens)... so...

but i've done it some times, due to speedy freaks... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jae
Jan 8, 2003, 12:17 PM
Just curious, for anyone who's saying to shoot the screens first have any of you faced Vol Opt ver 2 in Ultimate?? It's such a pain in the butt to hit the screen like 2 or 3 times before the red totem proceeds to shock, freeze or fireball about 3/4 of your HP away and give you an f'ed up status effect. Yes, hitting the screens takes away his HP but it doesn't take away his ability to hurt the team.

Thanks for the tips Cloak and Watashiwa. I'll try the Gizonde approach next time.

Cloak
Jan 8, 2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the tips Cloak and Watashiwa. I'll try the Gizonde approach next time.

Np. And yeah Gizonde works great. My FOnewm does 301 damage with no lightning boost, so he'd probly do around 430+ damage with storm wand:indra and yellow merge. Plus it's like one of the fastest casting techs.

And to the "ok i will hit nething bc iam impateitn ok?" people, go ahead. It'll just be a longer fight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cloak on 2003-01-08 13:31 ]</font>

Smash
Jan 8, 2003, 09:37 PM
my FOmar's gizonde is lv 30 and i use the sigh of a god which boosts zonde techs so in VH mode i can take out all of the screens with 2 gizondes. thats how i do it and find it the easiest.

DirewolfX
Jan 8, 2003, 11:54 PM
I have a better reason for not hitting the screens.

Watch Vol Opt's attack patterns carefully. He appears on one of the screens, then circles around the screens. Eventually he stops for a moment, then disappears. After he disappears, the totems pop up to attack. Repeat.

My strategy to beat him? Stand in the middle. Wait for him to stop moving, then get ready to blast the totems with Gizonde. Him circling around the screen just warns me when he's ready to attack. Much more useful than wasting time blasting the screens.

Maelkith
Jan 9, 2003, 10:49 AM
in ultimate mode, dont you have to kill the totems anyway. i have never been able to kill his first form without all of the totems gone. it was a waste of time to take the screens out.