PDA

View Full Version : Battle: GC:pso Vs. XB:pso

Pants
Jan 8, 2003, 12:37 AM
i would like 2 know what pso you like better and why in rich rich detail

Pants
Jan 8, 2003, 12:41 AM
i went with xb cuz vocie chat and a keyboard(GASP) and maybe no hl http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif and no 56k lag

rena-ko
Jan 8, 2003, 08:35 AM
cube...
personal preferences

and i got a keyboard long time ago... (theres still no cube near my tv to use it tho...)

Hiirigazawa
Jan 8, 2003, 09:48 AM
I'd go with Xbox PSO... not gonna say why because I'll probably start a big back-and-forth between GC and Xbox fanboys.

Raist
Jan 8, 2003, 11:44 AM
i picked gamecube, mostly because it came out first and i'm very impatient http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EsperJ
Jan 8, 2003, 12:00 PM
I may consider switching to the XB PSO, but not until;

-I hear that cheating is pretty much under control

-I sign up for Broadband (soon anyways)

-No 'Extra' costs for playing online.

-Somewhat of a graphical uphaul is introduced-aesthetically, there's no reason to my mind why XB PSO shouldn't look even lovlier, but the same applies to the GCN version.

Anyways, I'll have to first wait for the EU release.
Until then, it's GC all the way! ^ ^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EsperJ on 2003-01-08 09:12 ]</font>

WraithAkaMrak
Jan 8, 2003, 12:48 PM
On 2003-01-08 09:00, EsperJ wrote:
I may consider switching to the XB PSO, but not until;

-Somewhat of a graphical uphaul is introduced-aesthetically, there's no reason to my mind why XB PSO shouldn't look even lovlier, but the same applies to the GCN version.
I doubt there will be any graphical improvements over the GC version. Despite what OXM says, it just didn't sound like there was enough time spent on the Xbox version to really do anything much with the graphics. (According to Yuji Naka's statement about how fast they got the Xbox version ready.) But even if the graphics are the same, I won't mind. I'm don't have the GC version, so I'm not switching from one to the other.

Rubesahl
Jan 8, 2003, 02:07 PM
I'm going with the Xbox Version because:

- I imported GC version and ended up not playing with my US friends

- Didn't get US GC PSO because of more expensive Hunter's License

- Seeing as PSO Xbox seems to be coming in February why not?

- I have Xbox Live and I love it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

- PSO with voice chat? Yep, awesome as hell, ask any Xbox Live player ^_^

- At least ONE sure form of communication unlike GC version O__o

- Broadband network, lagless item pickup heaven http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

- Slight chance of possibility for download content (Imagine Extra costumes) ^_^ and obviously a sure possibility to have various download quests in the hard drive at once O_o

- No memory card needed ^_^ can it get any better than this?

- Possible chance of cheating to be under control or less mayhem than DC is enough for me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

- Possibility of patches and bug fixes ^_^ NOTE: If Xbox PSO would come with a bug, there'd be a good chance that it can be fixed via patch.

- Friends List, you XBL players know what I'm talking about http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Great for inviting friends that are playing another game to your PSO team for extra fun >_<;

As for the graphics, I also don't think they'll look that much different, if any, from the GC version. I see more of a possibility for slow downs to go down a bit or a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2003-01-08 11:07 ]</font>

MilkManX
Jan 8, 2003, 02:20 PM
On 2003-01-08 11:07, Rubesahl wrote:
I'm going with the Xbox Version because:

- I imported GC version and ended up not playing with my US friends

- Didn't get US GC PSO because of more expensive Hunter's License

- Seeing as PSO Xbox seems to be coming in February why not?

- I have Xbox Live and I love it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

- PSO with voice chat? Yep, awesome as hell, ask any Xbox Live player ^_^

- At least ONE sure form of communication unlike GC version O__o

- Broadband network, lagless item pickup heaven http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

- Slight chance of possibility for download content (Imagine Extra costumes) ^_^ and obviously a sure possibility to have various download quests in the hard drive at once O_o

- No memory card needed ^_^ can it get any better than this?

- Possible chance of cheating to be under control or less mayhem than DC is enough for me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

- Possibility of patches and bug fixes ^_^ NOTE: If Xbox PSO would come with a bug, there'd be a good chance that it can be fixed via patch.

- Friends List, you XBL players know what I'm talking about http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Great for inviting friends that are playing another game to your PSO team for extra fun >_<;

As for the graphics, I also don't think they'll look that much different, if any, from the GC version. I see more of a possibility for slow downs to go down a bit or a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2003-01-08 11:07 ]</font>

I am with you there. I have a US GCN PSO but the lack of keyboard and monthly fees suck. I figure since I have an XBOX and the Live kit I might as well hop on board.

Vantamiath
Jan 8, 2003, 03:17 PM
Easily the GC version..here's my RICH RICH detail...

- You don't think PSO will have extra fees on XBOX? Think again. PSO would have extra fees on any console. Think if everquest was made for XBOX, do you think there wouldnt be any extra fees just because of the XBOX live package?

- "Lack" of keyboard isnt all that bad, it's been blown WAAAAAY out of proportion. The software keyboard and the Pre-set WORD SELECT work fine, and if we're patient, the price of imported ones will drop, as the demand will get smaller, or we'll see a 3rd party make one. Just got to be patient.

- The GC uses both dialup and broadband--reaches a wider audience. (lag isnt a problem)

- XBOX pso wont do good in Japan. Japanese hate XBOX and it doesnt sell well over there. Without alot of those players, PSO loses a large audience, now imagine how small PSO on GC would be if it was ONLY broadband players. (In the USA)

- Chances are XBOX pso will rock...but only for the select few that will play it.

- GC will already have C-modes, R6, new quests, and other features rollin' by the time XBOX starts up...and ST will do the same setup--XBOX users enjoy your HEAT SWORD from March-May.

- I honestly dont think PSO is ment to be played in realtime chat, (this is an "opinion") I can't see going into a room of monsters and hearing some immature moron going off cussing...plus, you gotta think, with 4 ppl on live chat in a game...once you get to ULTIMATE, BB or not, that's gonna cause lag.
(How big of a mess will the lobbies be?)

- Just simple system preferance, I used to own a XBOX, saw a really bad future..(played HALO for a week straight) and took it back to the store for a full refund. I still today have no insentive to get one...not even for a "new" PSO.

PhoenixStryker
Jan 8, 2003, 04:35 PM
Well, I guess Xbox version seeing as how I'd probably get it online before the GCN version(DARN YOU NINTENDO FOR NOT RELEASING ENOUGH BBA'S). I love voice chat in EVERY pc game I have; people talk about pso being an rpg and it should just be text or whatever and thats fine, I respect your opinion, but not when it takes about a minute to type a sentence. Plus, I don't see how it would cost a monthly fee when it's running on the ms servers. It will cost money after your 12 months is up, but that's a set fee unless you download extra items for different games. Thats my 2 cents http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

TheMaskedPikachu
Jan 8, 2003, 04:50 PM
I like the GameCube one ,because X-Box is out of my price range (and it sucks), and the DreamCast is out of production http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif .

PhoenixStryker
Jan 8, 2003, 05:07 PM
I don't wanna get off topic or anything, but how does xbox suck? It has a good online system, its mecha powerful, can play dvd's, 5.1 DD surround, they fixed the big control with the new s-type; what more do you want? WHY CAN'T WE ALL LOVE OUR SYSTEMS EQUALLY?! I'll probably always be more pc than anything, just due to the fact that I killed every Q3 DC player with keyboard and mouse; I hate controllers(well, joysticks rox).

Ness
Jan 8, 2003, 05:35 PM
You know this is going to turn into a big fanboy magnet don't you?

Anyway....

I think that Xbox will be better beacuse it will not have and additional fees and will have voicechat. I also heard that it will have 1 new character.

hollowtip
Jan 8, 2003, 06:18 PM
On 2003-01-08 12:17, iHATEpsoCHEATERS wrote:

- You don't think PSO will have extra fees on XBOX? Think again. PSO would have extra fees on any console. Think if everquest was made for XBOX, do you think there wouldnt be any extra fees just because of the XBOX live package?

First of all, Everquest is a MMORPG that has a persistent world that changes based on what the player does in it's surroundings, and since Verant Interactive stores players on their servers the cost drives up even more. To keep this content available for the user, monthly Fees have to be charged. PSO has neither of these qualities, which makes me wonder why we're paying so much a month just for maintenance. I could understand the 10 bones every 3 months for PSOV2's hunter's license (or whatever the exact amount was I can't remember) but for GC PSO, we get little of anything (a downloadable quest every once in awhile doesn't cut it).

- "Lack" of keyboard isnt all that bad, it's been blown WAAAAAY out of proportion. The software keyboard and the Pre-set WORD SELECT work fine, and if we're patient, the price of imported ones will drop, as the demand will get smaller, or we'll see a 3rd party make one. Just got to be patient.

I don't think it's blown out of proportion, since most videogame reviewers claim that most of PSO's success has come from the immersive atmosphere that compliments the overall extrovert attitude most PSO players usually possess (those chat bubbles look so cool). Look at how many GCN PSO subscribers are bashing voice support on Box in favor of keyboard only.

- The GC uses both dialup and broadband--reaches a wider audience. (lag isnt a problem)

Ummmm, how is dialup "lag free?" Although your right about GCN PSO reaching a wider audience, I don't understand the statement in parenthesis.

- XBOX pso wont do good in Japan. Japanese hate XBOX and it doesnt sell well over there. Without alot of those players, PSO loses a large audience, now imagine how small PSO on GC would be if it was ONLY broadband players. (In the USA)

Good point, but I think your underestimating how many people actually own broadband.

- GC will already have C-modes, R6, new quests, and other features rollin' by the time XBOX starts up...and ST will do the same setup--XBOX users enjoy your HEAT SWORD from March-May.

Don't necessarily know if this will be true or not, they could be working on porting all the available downloadable content that?s On GCN PSO over to Box PSO. The game's been done for awhile, ST might be focusing on this now.

- I honestly dont think PSO is ment to be played in realtime chat, (this is an "opinion") I can't see going into a room of monsters and hearing some immature moron going off cussing...plus, you gotta think, with 4 ppl on live chat in a game...once you get to ULTIMATE, BB or not, that's gonna cause lag.

I'm sick of people making statements like these. This is an extremely weak argument all around. For those people that do annoy the hell out of you, just mute them, it really isn't that difficult. Where did you ever get the idea that lag is created because of voice chatting? The data that is sent through the servers to each peer is extremely small, nothing that would cause lag, even for 56kers.

Let me also say that I own all the latest available consoles, so I'm not showing any bias. The only real negative aspects I can see with Box PSO is

1. Cheating may end up actually ruining the game because of the ease and accessibility that Xbox's PC like architecture gives.

2. If a HL fee is added on top of the Live fee. Ridiculous if you don't play any other Live games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2003-01-08 15:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2003-01-08 15:25 ]</font>

Brundidge
Jan 8, 2003, 06:38 PM
If lord jeebuz had an answer to all this debating, I hope he speaks. Other than that let's wait and see what the future holds http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I vote for GC PSO for a few reason:

- I bought my GC used and only for PSO. Well Smash Bros Melee and Mario Party 4 is fun wit the buddies.
- PSO for multiple consoles (or specifically GC and Xbox I should) and will always be the same for each of those consoles like other multiple console games.
-I will not spend money on another game system that you can get the same games on the game system you already have.
- I'm cool playing offline with 3 other buddies and debating how "dammit I got the final blow! I should get more exp!"

Quoted from Ness:

I think that Xbox will be better beacuse it will not have and additional fees and will have voicechat. I also heard that it will have 1 new character.

I don't think the Xbox would have one new character. If the Xbox would have one new character then the GC would have another new character as well. If the Xbox were to have one new character though the GC would go down the drain cuz of character variety and "something new to try." Though I remember well seeing some pencil sketches for a HUnewmn somewhere on the net.

RicoSuave
Jan 8, 2003, 09:48 PM
On 2003-01-08 12:17, iHATEpsoCHEATERS wrote:

- Chances are XBOX pso will rock...but only for the select few that will play it.

- Just simple system preferance, I used to own a XBOX, saw a really bad future..(played HALO for a week straight) and took it back to the store for a full refund. I still today have no insentive to get one...not even for a "new" PSO.

Lack of a keyboard not bad? As an avid player of the DC version, I can honestly say that not having a keyboard sucks. You won't know what you are missing until you actually use a keyboard while playing...

As for "real-time" chat, how else are you supposed to communicate in the game? By mail? I am confused by your statement...

Voice chat causes no lag.....

As for those that say the Xbox can easily be hacked by being like a PC, let me explain. Yes, the hardware is just like a PC, but thats it. It has its own digital encryption and protection. Currently, the only way for a person to modify xbox files is if they install a mod chip into their system. Xbox Live will not let a person log on if it detects a mod chip. In addition to that, the person has to have a lot of knowledge about hardware protocols.

Second, users are not anonymous on Xbox Live, do not forget that. You may be able to change names in the game with new characters, but you have to use the same login for xbox live everytime. There is also user feedback, so trouble makers can be pinpointed with ease. The same applies to every other game on Live.

Kalbelgarion
Jan 8, 2003, 09:58 PM
I have three simple reasons why I'm getting the XBOX version, which are detailed enough:

-I own an XBOX.
-I recieve free Broadband in my house.
-I do not own a Gamecube.

Those are my reasons. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ruby-chan
Jan 8, 2003, 10:06 PM
Personally, it all really depends on the pricing plan for the XB PSO. As much as I like PSO, the monthly fee for it it is simply insane, and only exsists so the JP player's can get more funding. (Com'n which country's montly fees do you think payed for ,or made up for the money lost, the v1.1 recall? [I say the second or because we all know it might not have payed for it exactly, but ST might not have done the recall if they weren't making enough profit.])

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2003-01-08 19:12 ]</font>

hollowtip
Jan 8, 2003, 10:23 PM
On 2003-01-08 18:48, RicoSuave wrote:

As for those that say the Xbox can easily be hacked by being like a PC, let me explain. Yes, the hardware is just like a PC, but thats it. It has its own digital encryption and protection. Currently, the only way for a person to modify xbox files is if they install a mod chip into their system. Xbox Live will not let a person log on if it detects a mod chip. In addition to that, the person has to have a lot of knowledge about hardware protocols.

Although this is completely true, there are rather easy workarounds that cheaters have already taken advantage of to fool Live. Many of the new versions of Xbox modchips have sleeping mechanisms built into the chip that can turn off when servers check for these hardware modifications. Or installing a switch to turn a chip on and off is another cheap alternative that chippers use to bypass any security measures.