PDA

View Full Version : PSO: Best RPG of all time?

raikomaru40
Dec 7, 2007, 07:52 AM
Who thinks PSO (NOT PSU!!!) is the best RPG of all time? Why or why not do you think your opinion is the best? I personally think it is the best RPG of all time. The character customization is amazing and the gameplay is easy to get into and love.

raikomaru40
Dec 7, 2007, 07:55 AM
P.S. Don't post a reply just to knock PSO!!!! I want a legit response. I'll be using these results in a real life poll.

Rob19
Dec 7, 2007, 08:11 AM
to me, yes. the way the game hooks you and lures you in is just amazing. red boxes are one of the things that do it for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif the BEST thing about it is playin w/ friends online. that is really what makes the game.

Kelvie
Dec 7, 2007, 10:07 AM
I would vote no. The reason I loved PSO so much was the community, not the game itself.

It was a good game, but far from being my favourite rpg, especially since you seems to include single-player rpgs in the poll.

Cranberry
Dec 7, 2007, 10:17 AM
You could hardly use this poll as any kind of valid real-life thing.

For one thing it's very biased. Either you say yes or you "suck it."

Second, going to a PSO-based fan-site for your poll isn't exactly an unbiased sampling. Its like if I went to a boxing arena and had a poll of "Is boxing the best sport?" I'm not going to get a legitimate sample.

raikomaru40
Dec 7, 2007, 12:26 PM
i'm not using that poll, i'm using your replies for a "valid real-life thing".
secondly, i guess you're right about that fan-site part....but still, just b/c you go on a PSO fan-site doesn't necessarily mean it's your favorite RPG. that "suck it" part was just for fun:)

Saphion
Dec 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
Can I dig it?

Yes I can.

raikomaru40
Dec 7, 2007, 02:04 PM
good for you....

doubleEXP
Dec 7, 2007, 02:14 PM
No doubt.

PSO is my favorite video game of ALL TIME. From the second I first read the preview in Official Dreamcast Magazine, to the moment I first got it my DC, to the moment I first got online, and for all the years since... no other game has come close to being as fun to me as PSO. Not even close.

PSO Forever!

Eco
Dec 7, 2007, 02:37 PM
Lol Dude PSO is not only my favorite RPG but my favorite GAME!

raikomaru40
Dec 7, 2007, 02:53 PM
amen to that brother!!!

hyperacute
Dec 7, 2007, 03:00 PM
Riffs yeah!

Saphion
Dec 7, 2007, 03:16 PM
PSO was the very peak of gaming brilliance, and explains SEGA's recent downward spiral. I mean, after making perfection, just what else is there to do?

Liquid_Bacon
Dec 7, 2007, 04:42 PM
I've been playing PSO for almost 9 years now. Can you believe that?! It will probably always be my favourite game of all time.

DuRaL
Dec 7, 2007, 06:41 PM
PSO's japanese release was in december 2000.. oh wait, 9 years? that would have been 1998 then ;P

anyway, yeah, PSO is my favourite game of all time, too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif i had so much fun with it and love it so much.. but i'd love it even a little bit more if i could finally find a sealed j sword ;P

Banish
Dec 7, 2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, Phantasy Star is a great game... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Banish
Dec 7, 2007, 06:57 PM
Yes, Phantasy Star is a great game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

zandra117
Dec 7, 2007, 07:54 PM
WTF

SStrikerR
Dec 8, 2007, 11:25 AM
On 2007-12-07 16:54, zandra117 wrote:
WTF

DC_PLAYER
Dec 8, 2007, 11:29 AM
yes, the best, some ppl don't like it instantly when they see it, but pso got me into liking it in a way no other game has

Drakorn
Dec 8, 2007, 12:44 PM
Well, PSO isn't my favourite but it is one of the best RPG I ever played, what quite gets me addicted is Mags and weaponary, I mean, my favourite weapons are the Double Sabers group, since it is combined with 2 sabers and mags, my favourite mag out of all of them has to be Marica, it looks so much like an Airship, also I couldn't live without PSO being next to me, I mean having it on my wardrobe ready to play it. That is my opinion for PSO.

Iceman2667
Dec 9, 2007, 10:29 PM
dude, I do like PSO a lot better then PSU, but i've
played PSO so much I know every level like the back of my
hand, I was hoping the PSU was going to be like PSO,
but it's still not a bad game.
PSO FOREVER

CalvinKlein
Dec 10, 2007, 12:54 AM
PSO is not my favorite game, but it is definitely one of the best RPGs out there. I've been strictly playing PSO offline for about 6 years now. I haven't even touched the online portion of the game, and I'm still addicted to it. The only problem I have with PSO is the amount of lag during four-player split-screens (although seeing techniques in slow motion is rather amusing).

joluh
Dec 10, 2007, 08:58 AM
Best RPG of all time? NO
My favorite RPG? Yes indeed

Rob19
Dec 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
On 2007-12-09 21:54, CalvinKlein wrote:
PSO is not my favorite game, but it is definitely one of the best RPGs out there. I've been strictly playing PSO offline for about 6 years now. I haven't even touched the online portion of the game, and I'm still addicted to it. The only problem I have with PSO is the amount of lag during four-player split-screens (although seeing techniques in slow motion is rather amusing).

if you ever get online, you'll never wanna go back offline again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif JOIN US

Demesios
Dec 10, 2007, 09:17 PM
this is definetly the best MMO i've ever played. i ve played almost every subscription MMO out there, WoW,EQ2,DaoC,FFXI,lineage2 even. they can't compare. i can't believe i didn't discover this game sooner.

HedKandi
Dec 11, 2007, 06:39 AM
PSO is my fave game of all time as well, simple as that. I will play this until i can't play games anymore.

RemiusTA
Dec 11, 2007, 05:05 PM
On 2007-12-07 04:52, raikomaru40 wrote:
Who thinks PSO (NOT PSU!!!) is the best RPG of all time? Why or why not do you think your opinion is the best? I personally think it is the best RPG of all time. The character customization is amazing and the gameplay is easy to get into and love.

PSO is absolutely nowhere earthy CLOSE to the "best RPG of all time".

What the fuck is this topic smoking

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RemiusTA on 2007-12-11 14:10 ]</font>

Giezus
Dec 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
I didn't have the pleasure of enjoying it on the Dreamcast, but I have played on PSOX and PSOGC and have loved it so dearly much. Even got a few of my friends into it and they loved it too.

Phantasy Star Online is easily my all time favorite game. Hell, I'm playing it right now! Long live PSO!

D1ABOLIK
Dec 13, 2007, 12:11 AM
On 2007-12-07 11:14, doubleEXP wrote:
No doubt.

PSO is my favorite video game of ALL TIME. From the second I first read the preview in Official Dreamcast Magazine, to the moment I first got it my DC, to the moment I first got online, and for all the years since... no other game has come close to being as fun to me as PSO. Not even close.

PSO Forever!

Couldnt of said it better. PSO forever!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D1ABOLIK on 2007-12-12 21:14 ]</font>
________
FORD MUSTANG FR500 HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Mustang_FR500)

Altavista
Dec 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
Probably the best MMORPG. But the best single player RPG is Final Fantasy VII

RemiusTA
Dec 14, 2007, 08:47 AM
The best MMORPG would without a DOUBT be World of Warcraft.

8 million subscribers dont lie.

FFVII is far too overrated. It was damn good, but it was NOT that great of a game.

I liked Breath of Fire 3 far more than FFVII.

doubleEXP
Dec 14, 2007, 03:12 PM
PSO isn't a mmorpg. It's an online rpg.

I guess you could say "without a DOUBT" that WoW is the most successful mmorpg to date. On that point there can be no argument. As for 'best' that is up to individual opinions. I have mine, but I won't post it here, in a PSO topic.

The reason PSO is my favorite rpg ever (and my favorite video game ever) is very simple: I have never had more fun than I did when I played PSO on DC and on GC (JP and NA versions). Its really that simple for me. From the second I first loaded it up to the time I finally packed up my old consoles and gave them to my little brother, I had so much fun with PSO ~ online and offline.

However, for me PSO is over. I'm now playing PSU. Since the expansion (Ambition of the Illuminus) PSU has made MASSIVE strides forward. I actually describe it as 'giving me that PSO feeling' which, for me, is the highest praise I can give a game.

While I did play a ton of WoW for a year or two, it never gave me that PSO feeling. It sort of felt like it might, at some point, but in the end all mmorpg's end up boring me to tears.

You just can't beat real-time combat with photon weapons and TECHNICS! =P

RemiusTA
Dec 14, 2007, 06:17 PM
Well if you put it that way, PSO for me was at the top (PSU now) in terms of just plain "Fun". But in terms of Success, PSO has been declining for Y E A R S now. Thats why sonic team has struggled to keep them up, and thats why their being taken down.

joluh
Dec 14, 2007, 07:08 PM
On 2007-12-14 05:47, RemiusTA wrote:
The best MMORPG would without a DOUBT be World of Warcraft.

8 million subscribers dont lie.

Just because something is popular, it doesn't mean it's the best thing around.

D1ABOLIK
Dec 15, 2007, 02:21 AM
On 2007-12-14 05:47, RemiusTA wrote:
World of Warcraft.

Most over rated video game ever.Seriously guys,its not that good.

________
MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

Saphion
Dec 15, 2007, 05:08 AM
Mmmm. Played WoW for about six months. Nowhere near as good as PSO.

Altavista
Dec 16, 2007, 01:53 PM
PSO Propaganda ey? We wouldn't be posting in this fourm if we werent PSO fans.

Velkor
Jan 12, 2008, 12:08 PM
I loved the game it wasn't quite my favourite but its pretty high on the list, the reason i loved the game was because there was the right amout of classes, weapons and spells... Thats al i got to say. ^_^

dethdragon88
Jan 15, 2008, 01:45 PM
single best game in the history of mankind.

YOU CAN'T STOP IT!

Out_Kast
Jan 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't say 'Best RPG of all time'. But I'll agree, it's pretty damn good. Far from perfect, yet nowhere near the bottom.
Having only recently started playing Online, if I were to compare Online to Offline, I'd say Online were far better.
Get Online, nao! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Jaspaller
Jan 15, 2008, 03:54 PM
On 2008-01-15 12:22, Out_Kast wrote:
I wouldn't say 'Best RPG of all time'. But I'll agree, it's pretty damn good. Far from perfect, yet nowhere near the bottom.
Completely agree with you on that.

raikomaru40
Jan 16, 2008, 07:52 AM
it IS the best!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: raikomaru40 on 2008-01-16 04:53 ]</font>

DC_PLAYER
Jan 16, 2008, 10:00 AM
On 2007-12-15 02:08, Saphion wrote:
Mmmm. Played WoW for about six months. Nowhere near as good as PSO.

i agree at 100%.....

dethdragon88
Jan 16, 2008, 01:44 PM
once again I say, BEST RPG, BEST adventure, SINGLE BEST GAME EVER!

Fafnir
Jan 21, 2008, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry, but games like the Shin Megami Tensei games(Digital Devil Saga, Persona, SMT, Devil Summoner, etc.), Xenosaga series, Baten Kaitos series, etc. etc. all just destroy PSO. It's a great RPG, but it's not even close to greatest.

Ithildin
Jan 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't say PSO is THE best RPG of all time due to the lack of storyline. RPGs are Role Playing Games and you aren't really playing out a "role" in PSO. PSO IS however, THE greatest multi-player co-op game I have ever played and probably always will be. I've never really been a fan of multi-player competetive games (except for street fighter maybe). My love for co-op games started when I played Gain Ground on the Sega Master System, it was great that you played together with a friend to defeat enemies... I love the fact that in PSO you work in a team as an effective unit to fight against enemies, not really a true RPG at all. If you want to play a decent RPG try Morrowind or Oblivion or for Japanese RPGs try Xenogears or Chronocross, two of my faves...

raikomaru40
Jan 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
you guys are all crack heads

AlexCraig
Jan 21, 2008, 02:37 PM
Because they don't think PSO is THE best? Yeah, that's a mature statement on your part. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

I, too, do not think PSO is THE best. I do, however, think it is one of the best games I have ever played. I agree that it is not an RPG, but it gives me an RPG-ish feel. It is one of my top favorite games, after Zelda A Link To The Past.

Saying we are all crack heads because we do not agree with your opinion is not a good reflection of you. Please consider our opinions, and not just your own, before you make a thread like this.

CHOX
Jan 22, 2008, 08:31 PM
Yes by far. I have so many great memories of it, no game comes close to being my personal all time favorite game but this.

CupOfCoffee
Jan 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
Definitely my favorite game, the one I've played the most, and that's given me the most moments I will remember the rest of my life. But best game ever created? Naw. It had problems up the wazoo. It was what everyone did with it and how much of a beast it because without any help from the gameplay itself that made PSO so great. Plus, for many of us, it was our first online game so it likely would've impressed us to no end even if it had been even total garbage.

thejokie
Jan 23, 2008, 02:08 AM
PSO

Oh, the memories of having mag farm parties and mimicking the sword slashes when we got bored. I still play my copy of it on the GC to this day.

Seira7
Jan 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
PSO is one of my favortie game of all time. I love it!
I still play psobb online (er) and pso plus on my wii (progessive scan/hdtv - try it! its the bomb- better than xbox, and maybe PC!)

I try and play psu but something is seriously lacking...
cool quests? maybe? enemy ai> ? fast paced action? community/fun factor? awesome music? something addictive?

cant put my finger on it XD
but pso had that "je nous se qua" XD
it will be forever a classic for me!!!

xeku
Feb 1, 2008, 08:24 PM
No.

I love the game, but would be hesitant to define it as an RPG.

I wouldn't classify PSU as an RPG either...
There is very little role to play, aside from "hunter" - the story was pretty basic (ok, I'm being generous here), especially compared to previous Phantasy Star games. I always accepted the "story" as simple-background filler to justify endless hours of virtual slaughter in a Phantasy Star inspired environment...heh.
Damn sounds just like PSU...

It was a great multi-player online beat-em-up, with customizeable avatars and limited upgrade options (characters, weapons). Let's face it - most of us played to hang with friends, annoy strangers, hunt for stuff, collect stuff, show off collected stuff, and kill stuff for more stuff. Yeah, it sounds like some sort of twisted modern day take on a primitive hunter-gatherer society....well hey, we humans are primal like that. Some of us will even pay a monthly fee to experience it..over and over again.
The symbol chat feature was the most in-depth, creative element of the game in my opinion, and is sorely missed in PSU.

Best RPG?
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Someone mentioned BoFIII - yeah, that one rocks too (as does IV and V)...so does Suikoden, The Elder Scrolls series...
No, not PSO.

KaneKahn
Feb 1, 2008, 10:27 PM
False. PSO is good but compared to Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millennium, it doesn't stand a chance.

0rI0n
Feb 2, 2008, 05:37 PM
i love PSO, its my favourite game of all time. my mates got me into it (D3K0N & black knight)
i started of as a ranger and my best mag was my DAVIL'S TAIL it had 195 dex, and i had some sort of
weapon that ende in 7000R or something like that. ooh and the frozen shooter (he gave me loads of rares for free)
a played it along with my brother aswell and we both had really good stuff
he got to lvl 126 and i was 110.
but then there was one time for some reason (something to do with transferring characters)
mine and my brothers characters were corrupted and were left with no items, everything was gone
i was completely shocked, i loved the game so much because of all the rares and the fact that there were 100's
of items so i couldn t leave the game, i started a new game and 0rI0n my hunter and he is now lvl 92 with musashi+60
but he got corrupted but is luckily temporarily saved on a memery card.
so know ive started Dragon, my latest hunter and he's a lvl 25 at the moment. i just cant seem to leave PSO alone
the game is absolute awesomeness

viperush
Apr 1, 2008, 06:57 PM
For the player creation, weapons and control . Yes it's by far the best in these categories for me.
But for the story itself and the animation it's a bit lacking ( but what can you espect more with soo much details in the others categories above), for me Tales of Symphonia is better in these 2 categories( and it's for GC too).
But PSO is much better.

Taleck
Apr 1, 2008, 07:18 PM
well look when PSO was made, 2000, that's just the release date! they have been making this still in the 20th century! For that era this was probably the greatest RPG ever, not to mention the only RPG in that time period! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Long Live PSOGC!!!

Kunithrayin
Apr 1, 2008, 08:15 PM
I love PSO and I've never played any games that even compare to it. Yes for you sceptics I have played WoW and it wasn't near as good as PSO is.

Lance813
Apr 4, 2008, 04:33 PM
Pso is not even close to being the best RPG!!

ITS THE BESTT GAME EVAR!!!!!!

i hate WOW i got to lv 45 and quit

DC_PLAYER
Apr 4, 2008, 04:38 PM
yeah, i agree with lance, the best game evar....lol
it is the game that i have played the most and it's the one that stands up in all the dreamcast games i have

SStrikerR
Apr 4, 2008, 04:39 PM
On 2008-04-01 16:57, viperush wrote:
For the player creation, weapons and control . Yes it's by far the best in these categories for me.
But for the story itself and the animation it's a bit lacking ( but what can you espect more with soo much details in the others categories above), for me Tales of Symphonia is better in these 2 categories( and it's for GC too).
But PSO is much better.

WHY THE HELL DO ALL THESE NEW PEOPLE KEEP FLOODING IN AND BUMPING INSANELY OLD TOPICS!!!!!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif WHY!?

Ross_owens
Apr 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
I think that pso really stands the test of time. this is partially due to the fact that the story line is pretty linear. other games such as the final fantasy series have really indepth story lines but they do not give any room for anything to happen after you have finished everything.
pso lets you play for the sake of playing, getting better and rarer kit and reaching level 200. its so awesome.

SStrikerR
Apr 5, 2008, 07:55 PM
but I will say yes, I think it's the greatest rpg of all time. The game that started online for consoles, the game that was remade 6 different times, the game that survived for 10 years+, the game that has so much to do, to hunt..I see no flaws in it except for a few minor bugs.

phoenixboy
Apr 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yep, PSO is the best, only for 3 years

Nitro Vordex
Apr 11, 2008, 10:08 PM
On 2008-04-04 14:39, Ryan113 wrote:

On 2008-04-01 16:57, viperush wrote:
But PSO is much better.

WHY THE HELL DO ALL THESE NEW PEOPLE KEEP FLOODING IN AND BUMPING INSANELY OLD TOPICS!!!!!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif WHY!?

QFMFT

jmanshaman
Apr 12, 2008, 01:26 AM
Uh no. Definitely not the best RPG of all time. Shoot, this game is fun, and strangely addicting, but the quality behind it fails in comparison to any of the other greats of RPG-Dom. Greats like FFVII or LoZ:OoT. Those games had story, depth, feel. They are widely known outside of their respective fan sites (anytime I mention PSO people think I'm talking about the Playstation One). Shoot, look at the series they've come from, the series they've inspired. PSO may have brought the internet to the Console, but it really didn't change much in form of gameplay. Repetitive maps, levels, difficulties. Shoot, if it weren't for the quest for rare items I would be bored to death. Honestly, the game isn't fun to actually watch after you beat DF for the first time, unless you make it to Ult. I mean, to many it has an infinite replay-ability, but I feel like I could play Pokemon Gold/Silver more times over than PSO

I would say that PSO ranks as a fun RPG, but Zelda will always trump it in my book. And then to call it the best game ever? C'mon guys, get out and live a little.

Tweengo
Apr 12, 2008, 03:07 AM
I love the game for the red boxes, hunting for the Sealed J Sword (still doing), and the Jungle area.

P.S Anyone heard the jungle music on Galbadia Hotel. I'm listening to it right now. Great. I love the jungle area.

SStrikerR
Apr 12, 2008, 10:20 AM
jmanshaman- I can tell that you don't play this game as often as most of us do, which leads me to believe that you've never done the greatest/most fun things in this game, such as playing online with others, hunting awesome weapons or items, and just doing anything but playing through the levels offline without hunting anything. Yea, PSO would get boring if that's what you do, but if you do the things I'm talking about...it's a lot more fun.

jmanshaman
Apr 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
Actually I have. I've played online, I've quested for rare items. But to tell you the truth this game just isn't near as appealing to both the eyes or the ears, nor does it have the adequate story to give it the title "Best Game Ever," or even "Best RPG Ever."

Seriously, if you want to talk about best games ever, check out this: http://top100.ign.com/2007/index.html

IGN's list of the top 100 games ever. I trust IGN to be one of the least biased game websites out there. Or we can go to there reader's poll (http://top100.ign.com/2006/001-010.html), Gamefaq's Reader's Poll (http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/contest/top10), GameSpy's Top 50 List (http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/july01/top50index/), or GameSpot's Greatest Greats (http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/index.html). It seems as though PSO is nowhere on any of these lists. Other games in the Phantasy Star series are there, but not PSO...

Nitro Vordex
Apr 12, 2008, 12:37 PM
You do notice that IGN's list is composed of mainstream games right?

Personally, I think OoT should have been number one, not Mario brothers.
Zelda>Mario

RemiusTA
Apr 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
Twilight Princess > OoT x10.

And PSO greatest RPG of all time?

HELL no.

enoch
Apr 12, 2008, 10:51 PM
wow............................................... ................... thats a scary thought

Mion
Apr 13, 2008, 10:07 AM
pso was my first mmorpg, and till this day the best.

DC_PLAYER
Apr 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
On 2008-04-13 08:07, Mion wrote:
pso was my first mmorpg, and till this day the best.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gifthis^^
PSOFOREVER

RemiusTA
Apr 14, 2008, 03:28 PM
Breath of Fire III was the best RPG ever invented.

WoW is the best MMORPG on earth. (Ive never played it, but the numbers never lie.)

PSO is one amazing game if you have someone to splitscreen with and they have their own character. But it has far too many fatal flaws to be considered the best of any genre.

It is, however, a first of its own genre, and although it has been surpassed plenty of times it has stood the test of time pretty damn well.

jmanshaman
Apr 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
WoW was entertaining, but it didn't hold my interest. But then again, I put down plenty of games only to pick it back up later.

I think I realized my addiction was unhealthy....

amtalx
Apr 15, 2008, 11:11 AM
PSO is great, and took years of my life, but best RPG of all time? Not even in the top 5.

enoch
Apr 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
On 2008-04-15 09:11, amtalx wrote:
PSO is great, and took years of my life, but best RPG of all time? Not even in the top 5.

yea. its so high up there taht they had to start using letters >.> PSO you get an S rank

RemiusTA
Apr 15, 2008, 05:14 PM
You do know that "S" is the eighteen letters below "A" right

fighgunners
Apr 16, 2008, 03:53 PM
if i have nothing to do,pso is always an option[spoiler-box]pso ftw[/spoiler-box]

FaLegendario
Apr 20, 2008, 12:14 PM
for my yes cuz u arent alone

when u play rpg (like pokemon)

u feel like alone plating

but in pso

u play people

and it makes it funny

DraginHikari
Apr 20, 2008, 12:25 PM
The 'best' statment is too opinionated to get any meaning out of it. PSO is definitly not a game that appeals to an entire fanbase of a Genre.

DoubleJG
Apr 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
THE best.

SStrikerR
Apr 20, 2008, 02:13 PM
On 2008-04-16 13:53, fighgunners wrote:
if i have nothing to do,pso is always an option[spoiler-box]pso ftw[/spoiler-box]

You used a spoiler box for that? *frowns*

It's not the best, but it's up there.

enoch
Apr 21, 2008, 09:19 AM
I think its the best experience you can get from a game, its enchanting http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Lance813
Apr 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
[spoiler-box]pso ftw[/spoiler-box]

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif True dat

furrypaws
Apr 21, 2008, 04:11 PM
I believe a better title would be, "Best Hack and Slash RPG in Theory". Let's look at it's strong points.

-Same character online and off (DC, GCN, XBOX)
-You can play multimode with others free offline. (GCN, but don't you have to pay for XBOX's?)
-Tons of weapons to hunt.
-Create your own character.

Had they tried harder with this game, then maybe I could agree. But, the lack of variety of stages and enemies really of killed it for me. Playing the same Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins, Temple, Spaceship, CCA, and Seabed over and over to 200? And yes, I got to Ult. Reskins, while cool, aren't actually that exciting. Not to mention they reuse one particular AI over and over (Boomas, Sharks, Chics, Diminiens). It's mediocre, at best.

And yet.

It has this almost unescapable charm. Perhaps it was the fact that it was the first game I really got addicted to, or the first one I could easily play with all my friends (most owned GCNs and memory cards). It was a unique experience back then, and I congratulate Sega for trying.

This is all imo, of course. I respect all your opinions, and I humbly ask you at least respect mine.

TsukasaDCX
Apr 22, 2008, 08:08 PM
PSO is definetly the best online RPG
but
the constant threat of FSODs and hacking held it back (main complaint from everybody)

Vagrant Story is probably my favorite offiine rpg
but of course theres FF7 and .hack

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 23, 2008, 01:38 AM
Man this is hilarious
Even my Final Fantasy forums that I post it isn't this blind about the games.

Look PSO has some good qualities, and I'm sure you've all had great memories from it. But best RPG... Hell no.
And anyone who says Best Game... HHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLL NNNNNOOOOOO

come on people, try to be realistic. It isn't even the best online RPG, because I guarantee you haven't even played half the online RPGs that are out there.

I mean I joined this site because I enjoy the games. I joined my Final Fantasy forum because I love the games. And for years I use to think FFVI was the best game ever. I came to realize over time that it was a great game, but not the best game ever. Definitely up there for RPG's, but still not the best game ever. I couldn't even pick a best game ever probably, because every game has it's flaws. But PSO has way too many to be considered the best game ever.

No Online RPG can be the best game ever for one huge problem. Extreme repetitiveness. You cannot avoid this with an online game because that's how online games work. The best way to combat this is with PvP, because you can't always predict what another person does. But in the end, Online RPG's are still extremely repetitive.

and yes, the best MMORPG is WoW. Just because you don't like it, can't change the fact that despite being just another online RPG and extremely repetitive.... it manages to keep and get so many people playing it. That truly amazes me. Not my thing either, but I'd have to say it's probably the best online RPG.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-04-22 23:40 ]</font>

Rayokarna
Apr 23, 2008, 01:54 AM
Jackel just summed up everything right there. PSO was great but not the best.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 23, 2008, 05:14 AM
*sigh* No one's understanding this correctly, execpt for a few people. And those people actually type in sentences

Let's put this straight: PSO was the best game, of it's time. At the time, it set the stage to many ORPG's. Yes, it did have it's flaws. That's natural for a game that breaks into something new. (See:Nintendo Wii) FSOD'ing, hacking, blah blah blah. We all know. Still goes on today. In this game, and others.

For me, it's easier to rate games in time frames. I won't go into serious detail, especially since I'm heavily biased around SEGA games, back when they were good/worth playing.(I hurt myself just saying that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )
Sega Genesis/SNES Era
DC/N64/PSX era (The one where PSO shined...for a while.)
GC/Xbox/PS2
Now(Wii, Xbox360, PS3, and I suppose PC as well)

I believe, yes, PSO was and is a great game. Top game? Honestly, I don't think you could put it like that. Too many genres and categories. Therefore, too many different opinions. I think someone said it already, but PSO actually wasn't very popular. Most of the people I talk to, they either hadn't heard of the game, or they thought I was talking about PlayStation Online(-_-;).

If I had to say it, I'd say PSO hasn't passed the SA/SA2 (on DC, which I have both and the DC) games. Just my opinion.

Acrise
Apr 23, 2008, 11:17 AM
On 2007-12-07 04:52, raikomaru40 wrote:

All things considered, it's certainly a landmark in the genre - for its time. If it's the best, well... Every opinion is based on a person's background and experience with the genre, as well as videogames in general. Me, I wouldn't say it's the best RPG of all time since in all honesty I'm not too keen on RPGs with a japanese influence, and I'd probably mention a couple of PC RPGs that would fit the criteria better (for me, at least).

I think the customization isn't terribly deep or involving. In fact, "character customization" is an akward term when it comes to many console RPGs since they follow the trend of automated level ups that dump arbitrary values in statistics, never letting players actually decide how to tweak characters as they advance. PSO does the same, only giving players the Materials and Mags as peripheral aspects that influence the character. My favorite type of character customization stems from more freeform aproaches, such as giving players points to spend on attributes.

However, PSO is very easy to get into and the simplicity of both the game mechanics and overall interface certainly allows players to get right into the thick of it and only caring about the action and the challenge. It's also fun no matter how you play it, which is more than enough for many of its fans, me included.

furrypaws
Apr 23, 2008, 03:47 PM
I believe you can't tell if a game is the best of all time. There are simply too many games that are unlike it that you can't compare them at all. Like, you can't check on about any basis if I were to say Harvest Moon 64>PSO. Or if I were to say Half Life 2 Episode 2>PSO. Perhaps if I said, "Half Life 2: Episode 2>Perfect Dark (which it's not >_>)", then yes, you could argue to an extent. But even those two are different enough that you'd never come to a solid answer.

Well then, what do I think? Play the games that are your favorite, not the ones that are best.

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 23, 2008, 08:09 PM
On 2008-04-23 03:14, Nitro_Vordex wrote:
*sigh* No one's understanding this correctly, execpt for a few people. And those people actually type in sentences

Let's put this straight: PSO was the best game, of it's time. At the time, it set the stage to many ORPG's.

It wasn't the best game of it's time. It wasn't even the best online game of it's time. PSO came out in JAPAN on.... November 21, 2000. Diablo 2 came out June 29, 2000. Diablo 2 was a far more popular game. On top of that, PSO didn't come out in America until January 2001, where Diablo 2 already had 6 months on it. ON TOP OF THAT, most people didn't even play PSO on the dreamcast, and many people started on the Gamecube. This version wasn't released until 2002!

PSO was good, and did a lot for the genre. It was a great game for it's time as well. But it wasn't even the best online game at the time.

THE JACKEL

RemiusTA
Apr 23, 2008, 11:06 PM
On 2008-04-22 23:38, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
Man this is hilarious
Even my Final Fantasy forums that I post it isn't this blind about the games.

Look PSO has some good qualities, and I'm sure you've all had great memories from it. But best RPG... Hell no.
And anyone who says Best Game... HHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLL NNNNNOOOOOO

come on people, try to be realistic. It isn't even the best online RPG, because I guarantee you haven't even played half the online RPGs that are out there.

I mean I joined this site because I enjoy the games. I joined my Final Fantasy forum because I love the games. And for years I use to think FFVI was the best game ever. I came to realize over time that it was a great game, but not the best game ever. Definitely up there for RPG's, but still not the best game ever. I couldn't even pick a best game ever probably, because every game has it's flaws. But PSO has way too many to be considered the best game ever.

No Online RPG can be the best game ever for one huge problem. Extreme repetitiveness. You cannot avoid this with an online game because that's how online games work. The best way to combat this is with PvP, because you can't always predict what another person does. But in the end, Online RPG's are still extremely repetitive.

and yes, the best MMORPG is WoW. Just because you don't like it, can't change the fact that despite being just another online RPG and extremely repetitive.... it manages to keep and get so many people playing it. That truly amazes me. Not my thing either, but I'd have to say it's probably the best online RPG.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-04-22 23:40 ]</font>

Thank god, at least SOMEBODY isnt in blind denial.

PSO does not even rank PEROID when it comes to "Best" anything. Hell, now that i realize it, i never even PLAYED PSO online. All my fun with PSO was offline with friends, and it was only two friends who played it with me -- my best friend and his brother.

Please try to recgonize it for what it is. Sure, its highly addictive, but this game is just farrrr too flawed to be the best of anything. Maybe back in 1999-2001 it was the "best" of something, but that lasted only (at max) 2 years. It only held that status because it was the ONLY of "something".

WoW is the greatest online RPG, basically because it has made itself the greatest. It has the most players and most content. SEGA doesn't take any of their games seriously enough to ever make anything the "BEST OF" anything anymore.

Hell, SEGA sucks so bad now that they have 3rd party developers making their Mascot Character's games better than they can. They dont invest as much money like that anymore. SEGA is about on the level of EA Games right now -- its all about the money. Lack of stateside advertising for PSU can show you that.

zoloroel
Apr 24, 2008, 05:15 PM
On 2007-12-07 10:30, Saphion wrote:
Can I dig it?

Yes I can.

Indeed

what's not 2 love?

Nitro Vordex
Apr 24, 2008, 05:19 PM
On 2008-04-23 18:09, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

On 2008-04-23 03:14, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

Let's put this straight: PSO was the best game, of it's time. At the time, it set the stage to many ORPG's.

It wasn't the best game of it's time. It wasn't even the best online game of it's time. PSO came out in JAPAN on.... November 21, 2000. Diablo 2 came out June 29, 2000. Diablo 2 was a far more popular game. On top of that, PSO didn't come out in America until January 2001, where Diablo 2 already had 6 months on it. ON TOP OF THAT, most people didn't even play PSO on the dreamcast, and many people started on the Gamecube. This version wasn't released until 2002!

PSO was good, and did a lot for the genre. It was a great game for it's time as well. But it wasn't even the best online game at the time.

THE JACKEL

Makes sense. I never played Diablo, so I have no idea what that was about.

I suppose this still matters on who you ask, and even more who aren't totally fanboy'd beyond belief.

zoloroel
Apr 24, 2008, 05:23 PM
On 2008-01-21 11:31, raikomaru40 wrote:
you guys are all crack heads

again i reply: Indeed (only 2 h8rs)

AlexCraig
Apr 24, 2008, 05:33 PM
"Best" is a myth. There is not absolute best game. Best is an opinionated statement used by people who tend to prefer one thing over another. There are those who like PSO, there are those who don't. There are those who don't even prefer the series. Who are we to decide their opinion? Nobody. For it is in the person themself to decide whether or not PSO is the "best" game.

That is not to say that we should have every guy and his brother who likes PSO to consider it the best. Nor is it that every man who prefers PSU more should show up and say how much "PSO is pathetic to PSU". No. That only incites problems, in both cases.

But now I am straying off course (kinda out of it). I say, leave the bests to the individual to decide and never try to infringe upon it.

furrypaws
Apr 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
^You just said pretty much exactly what I said (or was trying to say). Really, the only thing this can be the best of is versions of PSO, and the only thing that would make it that (since BB is superior) is the offline multi and free servers (as opposed to PSOX).

Cranberry
Apr 25, 2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah they're right. The best game is going to be completely an opinion.

Frog
Apr 25, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yes, PSO Episodes1&2 is the greatest online/offline game ever made.

After all these years, I have in fact decided I like it even better than Diablo1&2.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 25, 2008, 05:50 PM
It's kinda late to be mentioning it's all opinion 7 pages into the topic, yes? ;/

AlexCraig
Apr 25, 2008, 05:57 PM
Never to late.

CromartieDude
Apr 25, 2008, 10:30 PM
OMFG BEST GAME EVER!!!!! even god played it and will miss it! as will i.

MrNomad
Apr 30, 2008, 03:38 PM
Diablo 2 considered the best of that time? No, you're thinking of "game most bought during that time" The actual content and gameplay in it is so much smaller and repetitive to even pso or psu. It's just that so many people are rabid mindless fanboys and have to get games based on the label (blizzardlolz!!) Dont get me wrong, I do like it, but it's just...It had flaws compared to the original. Storywise, it's a big friggin' lol, and the ending you got in the expansion was like a slap to the face. The maps themselves are nothing at all like what they should have been if you ask me. Diablo was a dark game where you went through a huge rundown chapel until you made it to hell. In Diablo 2 you're fighting in the goddamn sunlight, wtf? And you're going around the typical generic areas in every rpg, green fields at the start to a desert, and then to a marsh. Not only that, but as a diablo game, it really has little to do with diablo himself, which pissed me off considering this is his game! The characters themself were okay...You should have been able to customize like in PSO but instead if you wanna be a mage you hafta be a scantilly clad woman. The skills themselves were...Eh, in the beginning you could try different skills if u wanted to, but if you were gonna play later game you had to know how to build your character a certain way or you would always fail. Skills in the game weren't even special or interesting unless you were a caster, and some were just downright cheap. (chargadins) The versus in Diablo 2 was kinda a joke when you were low lvls, but in higher lvls it's almost laughable how poorly made it is. Nothing like seeing a paladin use a mage teleport skill to constantly stay unharmed by melee while casting his holy hammer skill at the same time. And yeah, I know hack and slash games have a lot of repetition, but considering how short it takes to beat the entire 5 acts both offline and online, you'll be doing a lot of the same things more times than you'd like, and whats the point when there are NO special events for diablo 2? Hell, a lot of my friends kept saying how crappy the game was when it was still new. I look at it now and ask "What more is there to do in this game after all these years?" The game is good, but it's honestly boring after the first few runs. Maybe it's due because of the outdated 2d graphics or because of the shoddy skill configuration and the clicking upon clicking upon clicking of the mouse, but it doesnt come off as a "best game", more like "games people have lying around". I think PSO is a lot more deserving of "best games in 2000", better customization, a well worked out button config, the graphics for it to this day arent bad to look at all either. It to me had a lot more to do and offer than diablo 2 with it's lolsecretcowlvl.

Gillian
Apr 30, 2008, 05:35 PM
It maybe be around 8 years old but this game is really addictive. Even offline it's nice finding some of those hard-to-find (or extremly hard-to-find) weapons and items

The graphic maybe be outdated but i've been playing it for eight years over versions 1.00, 2.00 and EP1&2 and I'm still going now. Can't really say that about any other game.

Jaspaller
Apr 30, 2008, 05:55 PM
I probably said it before in this topic but it's been a while. It's definitely not the best RPG, but it was the best at what it did.

Ragna_Divide
May 7, 2008, 06:32 PM
On 2008-04-30 13:38, MrNomad wroteStorywise, it's a big friggin' lol, and the ending you got in the expansion was like a slap to the face.

Actually, Diablo II has one of the best plot (excuse me, plot -elements-) around. It's just not immediately obvious, as the game plays a triple-cross betrayal on your mind as D2's story progresses through the discussion between the figure and Marius between acts. That is, assuming various theories are correct (which the games heavily support) and Tyrael is in fact the true villain of the series.

Play it again with that in your mind and you'll see D2's plot from a very different perspective.

In Diablo 2 you're fighting in the goddamn sunlight, wtf?

There are far, far, far more than enough underground areas in Diablo 2. God forbid we see something other than stone cave walls.

Not only that, but as a diablo game, it really has little to do with diablo himself,

Yeah, except for the pre-expansion D2 focusing almost entirely on Diablo, including a connection and badass plot twist between D1 and D2 regarding the first hero. I'm not sure how you can argue that D2 has nothing to do with Diablo when the game was all about following Diablo as he leaves behind chaos and havoc, cleaning up the mess, and ultimately confronting Diablo himself in Hell.

You may be mistaking Throne of Baal (which has a mere quarter of the content in D2) with the original D2.

Skills in the game weren't even special or interesting unless you were a caster,

Couldn't disagree more. In fact, I don't even really see how you could say this with a straight face.

but considering how short it takes to beat the entire 5 acts both offline and online, you'll be doing a lot of the same things more times than you'd like,

You mean like PSO?

there are NO special events for diablo 2?

Completely incorrect. There are / were several.

Anyway. Is PSO the best RPG of all time? Well, first, it's not an RPG. Neither is Final Fantasy, or Phantasy Star single player games, or 99% of the other so-called "RPGs" out there. Games like Morrowind and Fallout and Baldur's Gate and such barely come close to being an "RPG", and still have a loooong way to go.

RPG apparently now means "action or strategy game that has more menus and stats than usual." It certainly isn't storyline because Soul Calibur has more plot than PSO and D2 put together. And that's (sadly) not an exaggeration.

At any rate, rant now ended, no... I don't really see how from a standpoint of game design one could argue that PSO is anything but a mediocre game that managed to find a niche market who heavily favor extremely specific but not broadly appealing qualities found in PSO. As an action game, PSO is extremely below par even by Dreamcast era standards. As a storyline-driven game, PSO is beaten by nearly any "RPG" on the market. As an adventure game, well... it's hard to think of an adventure game with fewer areas to explore or less stuff to do than PSO.

But it does have some quirky, fun qualities that when taken all together and stirred around over a low fire in a pot of Win... manages to provide an entertaining experience that managed to capture days upon days upon weeks upon weeks of actual playtime from many people around the world.

Myself included.