PDA

View Full Version : Player Shops are as good as worthless now.

Broodstar1337
Dec 11, 2007, 02:21 PM
Synthed a 28% Dark Sweet Deathic a couple minutes ago. Just my luck. Who's gonna want to buy it? Probably nobody. I've seen Sweet Deathics come up in a player shop with higher percentages and multiple grinds for less than two of the three Catilium needed to even synth one of these bad boys!

So if you have a weapons shop, what the hell is the point of keeping it? No way in hell you're ever gonna sell anything anymore. If it's not at least 40% an element, it's a paperweight. Unless you're trying to synth armor, you might as well not synth anything to sell anymore. You're better off selling synth materials in your player shops and you're better off selling your weapons to an NPC if you want to see any kind of money for the dead weight sitting in your shop.

Oh well, back to Catilium Farming. Something that might actually yield a profit for me.

ljkkjlcm9
Dec 11, 2007, 02:46 PM
just sell it for cheaper than any other one on the market. Should still be higher than NPC, but I don't know anyone that would buy a sweet deathic anyways, I don't even know why people make them, they're just not any good

THE JACKEL

TetsuyaHikari
Dec 11, 2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah! Nobody wants to buy anything lower than 40%!

Hmmm..I wonder if that's why my Soda Joggi and Caliburns sold despite being below 40% http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Wait a minute! That doesn't make any sense http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

Chaosgyro
Dec 11, 2007, 02:56 PM
I'm a broke-ass hobo. I'll buy anything so long as it's cheap and of the proper element. 10%? Hell, that's 10% better than neutral as I see it.

McLaughlin
Dec 11, 2007, 04:42 PM
I sell my useless weapons/armor without much hassle.

panzer_unit
Dec 11, 2007, 04:51 PM
On 2007-12-11 11:21, Broodstar1337 wrote:
Synthed a 28% Dark Sweet Deathic a couple minutes ago. Just my luck. Who's gonna want to buy it? Probably nobody. I've seen Sweet Deathics come up in a player shop with higher percentages and multiple grinds for less than two of the three Catilium needed to even synth one of these bad boys!

The prices are because because you can get S-rank weapon boards faster than you can get Catilium now, and better yet the boards are in missions that people actually do... as opposed to the metal which comes from some really freaking boring missions.

F-Gattaca
Dec 11, 2007, 05:00 PM
I love it when a naysayer makes a judgement call on a MMO's feature, proclaiming it to be worthless no matter how many people actually use/enjoy/benefit from it. And by love I mean the sense of love one has when they masochistically smash their foreheads into a brick wall repeatedly.

I've heard "good as worthless" before in other times, other places--for example, when iRO got the mail system. I found it quite useful, as did many others. Despite all this, it was still deemed of absolutely no worth to anyone by naysayers.

I know that since the launch of AotI here, I've made some people very rich buying up their Durandal Replicas and other weaponry.

At the same time I've had to adapt and realize that I can't sell certain things at certain prices anymore. Prior to the shop search, I sold everything at 50% its retail price if possible. Half of what the retailers ask for was a pretty good marketing strategy--with no way to know what prices one asked for until walking in and looking, having your ad say what you sell your items for (and living up to that claim) was a good way to attract business. Now, however, everyone can see the prices of what's told--potential competitors, et al. That's led to price cuts, far below the 50% retail mark I used to sell for--and in some cases, bizzare changes in price.

I was shocked to see that Junaline sells for as low as 1k despite that retailers would likely sell it for 10k (which meant that I was selling my stack for 5k) ... especially ironic when Vestaline and Vulcaline both sell for around 2k.

I realize it's supply and demand, but it's hilarious. Either way, I've had to adapt. I don't find the stores worthless--it just means you've got to roll with the punches, and if you're farming/synthing items for the purpose of making money, find out what's hot, what sells well, and for what price ... and adjust accordingly.

Schubalts
Dec 11, 2007, 05:15 PM
On 2007-12-11 13:51, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2007-12-11 11:21, Broodstar1337 wrote:

The prices are because because you can get S-rank weapon boards faster than you can get Catilium now, and better yet the boards are in missions that people actually do... as opposed to the metal which comes from some really freaking boring missions.

Did nobody read the OP except Panzer? Broodstar is talking about how a finished Sweet Deathic sells for less than the cost of the materials, not that people can't sell photons for 50 kajillion meseta anymore.

panzer_unit
Dec 11, 2007, 05:19 PM
I sell off my Junaline at the NPC for 1500 each. Who the hell would buy that stuff when you find them in a 50:1 ratio with S-rank boards? I'm looking forward to filling my PM's stock of Merculine so I can start doing the same with that for 4k.

(Vulcaline and -resins sell for 5k in my shop about as fast as I can push 'em into my PM, I can't farm photons and Ebon fast enough to keep up with how much ore I get... and I can't be troubled to make my own armor with how much material each synth takes)

F-Gattaca
Dec 11, 2007, 05:33 PM
On 2007-12-11 14:15, Schubalts wrote:
Did nobody read the OP except Panzer? Broodstar is talking about how a finished Sweet Deathic sells for less than the cost of the materials, not that people can't sell photons for 50 kajillion meseta anymore.

Actually, I did read his post. I stand by what I said in response.

EDIT: And to add to that, this kind of counter-intuitive pricing does happen in the real world, too. It's easy to see WHY it happens in PSU, though--the potential uses of the materials (and their scarcity/abundance) determines whether or not their value outweighs that of completed items.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-12-11 14:44 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Dec 11, 2007, 05:36 PM
I find that selling the board is a more better business than selling the weapon generally...

Don't bother wasting valuble rare mats on junk you're just gonna sell <<;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2007-12-11 14:36 ]</font>

Reipard
Dec 11, 2007, 05:57 PM
It is incredibly hard to sell something that doesn't move very quickly. And you get undercut very easily too.

I was honestly surprised when my Doric sold for 8 mil (It started at 15, but got undercut to blagh). It literally blew my mind. It just doesn't happen nearly so easily in this system http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

ljkkjlcm9
Dec 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
if he's complaining about mats being worth more
I can use catilium for any S rank two hand weapon, while a sweet deathic is only a sweet deathic
It's the same reason boards sometimes sell for more than the weapon, especially with our current 100% synth rates. A 10% weapon can only be a 10% weapon, but a board could be as high as a 50%.

It's the opportunity cost of the item

THE JACKEL

Broodstar1337
Dec 11, 2007, 11:44 PM
On 2007-12-11 16:42, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
if he's complaining about mats being worth more
I can use catilium for any S rank two hand weapon, while a sweet deathic is only a sweet deathic
It's the same reason boards sometimes sell for more than the weapon, especially with our current 100% synth rates. A 10% weapon can only be a 10% weapon, but a board could be as high as a 50%.

It's the opportunity cost of the item

THE JACKEL

Boards require a ton of materials to synth, AKA tons more money than weapons cost in today's market. They also yield the chance to break (because 1up bonuses ARE gonna end one day) or come out at a percentage lower than in-shop. Opportunity swings both ways, the chance to succeed or the chance to fail.

But a full weapon should at least hover in the ballpark of the total price of all the stuff used to make it. In the instance of Sweet Deathic... you can buy at least two Sweet Deathics with the money used to buy the board and the synth materials. I'm amazed Cladorian is still cheap on account of the slicer and the whip being all the rage. Imagine how Cladorian prices will be once Blackheart becomes a common drop!

I'm pretty much down to selling weapons at rock-bottom prices. Instead, I'm shifting my focus to synth materials. There's just no money in selling weapons anymore.

amtalx
Dec 12, 2007, 08:35 AM
Most people are selling weapons below the sum of their parts because everyone has 30 stacks of materials. Supply is much higher than demand right now. Do I have 30 stacks of Catilium? No. But I have more Catilium than boards that need it.

It all comes down to supply and demand. You may have an item with an incredible high production cost, but if nobody wants what you are selling, you are going to have to lower your price to move it (See PS3).

Also, the fact that synths are practically guaranteed doesn't help. Part of what made weapons sell is that you were eliminating the risk of failure by just buying the weapon...not the case anymore. Screw that guy trying to make a profit, I'll do it myself for little to no cost.

Sekani
Dec 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
Take advantage of the system by buying up all those A-ranks dirt cheap. That's how I equipped my alt.

Mystil
Dec 12, 2007, 10:44 AM
I sold 439075095757 of them for 150,000. And pretty sure I'm responsible for the many deaths and deathics that are running around in peoples inventories.