PDA

View Full Version : Is baseball still a sport?

eXo
Dec 13, 2007, 03:28 PM
Im not a baseball fan however im also not a baseball hater therefore i do not have a personal opinion to voice on this matter.

With that being said do you think that the MLB,and the media and general will try to reduce there witch hunt of try to expose the people who abuse roids.

Big names mentioned:

BONDS,PETTITE,CLEMONS,TEJADA,RAMIREZ,

Im have very limited baseball knowledge, but sense those names ring a bell to me im assuming that they are allstars.

Split
Dec 13, 2007, 03:30 PM
nah I've never considered it a sport because it's not athletic enough.

eXo
Dec 13, 2007, 03:41 PM
Gagne, pujols,

Wyndham
Dec 13, 2007, 03:48 PM
I like baseball, but just barely.
I a not really a fan of sports.

eXo
Dec 13, 2007, 04:01 PM
Here is a link to the mitchell report thing, it shows cecks and a list of serveral players.

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/pdf/071213/mitchell_report.pdf

CelestialBlade
Dec 13, 2007, 04:30 PM
All I know is that it bores me to tears. No time limit on a sport that moves so slowly anyway? Blegh. Just not my thing.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 13, 2007, 04:33 PM
On 2007-12-13 12:30, Split wrote:

Baseball isn't athletic? How did you infer that Watson?

Scrub
Dec 13, 2007, 04:49 PM
On 2007-12-13 12:30, Split wrote:

Hunting. Bowling. Chess.

How the fuck is baseball not athletic?

Sayara
Dec 13, 2007, 04:53 PM
its not FUTBOL!!! OLE

Split
Dec 13, 2007, 04:54 PM
you sit on a bench...then you try to hit a ball. If you don't hit it you sit back down. If you do, you run to a base, unless it was a home run, then you just jog slowly around them. After you get to that base, unless you can somehow reach the next base, you just stand there until the next person hits a ball. If no one does, and you get three outs, it's time to field the ball.
BUT HOLD ON!!! huff...huff...huff...lemme just...HACKCOUGh, COUGH...catch my breath..

okay...phew...huff...(point made)...now you have to just stand around on this field and wait for the ball to come to you. you don't have to do any running, since you're allowed to start out strategically placed so the outfielder can just pick the ball up and throw it to whichever baseman covering the base the batter is about to reach, who then proceeds to simply step on the base before the batter reaches it.

coordination doesn't equal athleticism. Sure you have to have (fairly)strong arms to be able to hit a ball or throw it a long distance, but strength doesn't equal athleticism either. If something is truely athletic, it should require overall fitness from its participants.

And I never said "isn't athletic, I said not athletic enough

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 13, 2007, 04:54 PM
And to second Scrub's comment. . .

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Scrub
Dec 13, 2007, 04:59 PM
Pray tell some 'sports' that ARE athletic enough then, tough guy.

I'm not a fan of baseball, but I'm not a fan of bullshit either.

Sord
Dec 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
Baseball is a sport, and anyone who says it isn't, cleary does not comprehend the meaning of the word sport to begin with.

also, as per the roids. During an oral presentation class one of the students decided to do a speech in support of roids in sports (other than just wrestling http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif ) Basically the point was when people watch sports, they watch it for the spectacle. So a bigger spectacle equals more entertainment. Also, if they became more mainstream, more people would perhaps study them and try and fiure out ways to get positive side effects without the negative.

Thought it was intresting, though I wouldn't support it myself. All teams and players would have to agree to use them (and risk the side-effects,) otherwise teams and players would be uneven. Though I guess you could make a steroid and non-steroid league.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2007-12-13 15:10 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Dec 13, 2007, 05:35 PM
Sports =/= Athleticism.
Chess is a sport. Poker is a sport. Baseball is a sport.
Baseball just so happens to be the most boring sport of all.

Dangerous55
Dec 13, 2007, 05:57 PM
Baseball is better if you follow a team. It is a sport, and it is athletic. If you say it isn't than you probably never advanced past little league.

ABDUR101
Dec 13, 2007, 06:03 PM
Poker now? Wow, you can tell you guys are 90's kids. When I grew up, it wasn't a sport unless you were out of breath most of the time.

I can be leaniant and call some things sports, things that do take physical prowess and dedication; baseball, football(american and european, i.e. soccer) as examples. But I'm pretty sure I will never consider poker a sport.

If poker's a sport, so is masturbation, and by that token I want a god damn scholarship based on my abilities as an athlete.

Eihwaz
Dec 13, 2007, 06:08 PM
On 2007-12-13 15:03, ABDUR101 wrote:
If poker's a sport, so is masturbation, and by that token I want a god damn scholarship based on my abilities as an athlete.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I always liked my debate coach's definition. Anything that you can successfully do when drunk is not a sport.

eXo
Dec 13, 2007, 06:20 PM
some espn guys where just debating and one guy, said baseball isnt a sport anymore theirs a reason that it's called americas pastimeand thats because baseball as an sport is a thing of the past. im not on his side but i must admit i almost rofl.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
On 2007-12-13 13:54, Split wrote:
you sit on a bench...then you try to hit a ball. If you don't hit it you sit back down. If you do, you run to a base, unless it was a home run, then you just jog slowly around them. After you get to that base, unless you can somehow reach the next base, you just stand there until the next person hits a ball. If no one does, and you get three outs, it's time to field the ball.
BUT HOLD ON!!! huff...huff...huff...lemme just...HACKCOUGh, COUGH...catch my breath..

okay...phew...huff...(point made)...now you have to just stand around on this field and wait for the ball to come to you. you don't have to do any running, since you're allowed to start out strategically placed so the outfielder can just pick the ball up and throw it to whichever baseman covering the base the batter is about to reach, who then proceeds to simply step on the base before the batter reaches it.

coordination doesn't equal athleticism. Sure you have to have (fairly)strong arms to be able to hit a ball or throw it a long distance, but strength doesn't equal athleticism either. If something is truely athletic, it should require overall fitness from its participants.

And I never said "isn't athletic, I said not athletic enough

Not athletic enough? You must've never played baseball in your. Running base to base is NOT A FUCKING JOG. Players have to bust their ass to get to bases. Just hitting a ball pitched is a small-feat in itself, much less getting a home-run out of it.

And have you ever watched outfielders play? Contrary to your beliefs, the ball is not always whacked right into their glove. Hand-eye coordination is a form of athleticism. Very few athletes (linebackers being one of the few I can think of) can get by with no hand-eye coordination.

Sinue_v2
Dec 13, 2007, 06:59 PM

Rugby. It takes leather balls to play rugby.

You're going to have to perfect the Over-the-shoulder-boner-holder manuver if you want to compete in the international Fists of the Fury competition.

Split
Dec 13, 2007, 08:16 PM
On 2007-12-13 13:59, Scrub wrote:

I'm not a fan of baseball, but I'm not a fan of bullshit either.

I'm not tryin to be tough...it's just my opinion...you can disagree or not.

But I'll give you a list:
Lacrosse
Soccer
Hockey
Football (American)
Rugby
Swimming
Field Hockey
Girl's Lacrosse (it's different from boy's for those who don't know)
Track
Cross Country

I could keep going but the point is that...well first of all I may have said it's not a sport, but that wasn't something to be taken literally. I should've said it's a terrible sport in which no one gets any real excersise and is generally lazy, hence America's obsession with it. You can keep flaming me, but I don't care, so whatever. There's no arguing with an opinion, and it's not bullshit.

Split
Dec 13, 2007, 08:34 PM
On 2007-12-13 15:33, Sgt_Shligger wrote:Not athletic enough? You must've never played baseball in your. Running base to base is NOT A FUCKING JOG. Players have to bust their ass to get to bases. Just hitting a ball pitched is a small-feat in itself, much less getting a home-run out of it.

And have you ever watched outfielders play? Contrary to your beliefs, the ball is not always whacked right into their glove. Hand-eye coordination is a form of athleticism. Very few athletes (linebackers being one of the few I can think of) can get by with no hand-eye coordination.

Sorry man, but you misunderstood most of what I said. I only said it was a jog if you hit a homer. I know you have to bust your ass, but what is it, like 15-20 yards? Then you're done until the next one, and if you're in good shape, you're not out of breath. Even if you have to run two bases, or even three, if you're a good athlete you're probably not very out of breath, and honestly, are you gonna be successful every time? The answer is no, you're not; baseball is a low scoring game.

You don't know the meaning of ass-busting until you've played midfield in lacrosse or participated as any of the rowing seats in a crew team (a great sport which I forgot on my list). Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me what my beliefs were. Of course the ball doesn't get whacked directly into a fielder's glove, I played baseball for two years and I've watched it and I'm not retarded. You truly misconstrued practically everything I said...If you read my whole post you would've noticed I gave baseball it's dues for its more taxing feats. Basically what I've been trying to say is they are nothing compared to the demands of sports like the one's I mentioned. Also, I really hate to sound like an "internet tough guy" and a lot of you probably think I'm pulling these things out of my ass for the sake of argument when I say this, but I'm pretty active in high school sports so my opinion is valid. As a varsity linebacker myself (albeit a pretty small one...) I find it kind of offensive that you said it takes no coordination, because if you're up against a team of good runningbacks/recievers, you'll find it takes a lot more quick thinking and immediate, total comprehension of routes and holes where a back is headed then can be seen while watching on TV.

EDIT: sorry for the double post, guys

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Split on 2007-12-13 17:34 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Dec 13, 2007, 08:57 PM
Poker's a sport? Chess is a sport? Now I'm wondering what's the difference between 'game' and 'sport'

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
On 2007-12-13 17:34, Split wrote:

On 2007-12-13 15:33, Sgt_Shligger wrote:Not athletic enough? You must've never played baseball in your. Running base to base is NOT A FUCKING JOG. Players have to bust their ass to get to bases. Just hitting a ball pitched is a small-feat in itself, much less getting a home-run out of it.

Sorry man, but you misunderstood most of what I said. I only said it was a jog if you hit a homer. I know you have to bust your ass, but what is it, like 15-20 yards? Then you're done until the next one, and if you're in good shape, you're not out of breath. Even if you have to run two bases, or even three, if you're a good athlete you're probably not very out of breath, and honestly, are you gonna be successful every time? The answer is no, you're not; baseball is a low scoring game.

Soccer's a low scoring game too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Baseball players may not be near dead by the end of a game but they do have a helluva long season, playing at least every other day in the season(closer to every day really). Even if it's not an incredibly fatiguing or painful sport (football comes to mind since they play once a week) it's still takes something to play that much.

You don't know the meaning of ass-busting until you've played midfield in lacrosse or participated as any of the rowing seats in a crew team (a great sport which I forgot on my list). Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me what my beliefs were. Of course the ball doesn't get whacked directly into a fielder's glove, I played baseball for two years and I've watched it and I'm not retarded. You truly misconstrued practically everything I said...If you read my whole post you would've noticed I gave baseball it's dues for its more taxing feats. Basically what I've been trying to say is they are nothing compared to the demands of sports like the one's I mentioned. Also, I really hate to sound like an "internet tough guy" and a lot of you probably think I'm pulling these things out of my ass for the sake of argument when I say this, but I'm pretty active in high school sports so my opinion is valid. As a varsity linebacker myself (albeit a pretty small one...) I find it kind of offensive that you said it takes no coordination, because if you're up against a team of good runningbacks/recievers, you'll find it takes a lot more quick thinking and immediate, total comprehension of routes and holes where a back is headed then can be seen while watching on TV.

I don't believe I misinterpreted anything you said myself (though I may have been a tad vehement which I will admit to). You somehow conveyed (to me at least) that baseball was less of a sport

Also, I will sincerely apologize for that comment on linebackers needing no hand-eye coordination, I meant to say lineman (since they rarely, if ever, get the ball). I'm not referring to coordination in general but rather the more specific hand-eye coordination to be good with throwing/catching (something a lineman isn't required to do). Slightly big mistake on my part.

Dangerous55
Dec 13, 2007, 11:20 PM
On 2007-12-13 17:16, Split wrote:
it's a terrible sport in which no one gets any real excersise and is generally lazy, hence America's obsession with it.

Well your opinion is pretty weak. Right now, I'd say the Japanese and South Americans like baseball more than the US. It has to be at least close. You may not get any real exercise if you are playing beer league softball. If you are playing baseball competitvely than you do, and it ain't easy. Yeah I know it is your opinion, but I can't help that your opinion annoying me. It seems to me you have some vendetta against baseball. It is a great sport that requires a hell of a lot of intelligence and athleticism.

I'd like to see you tell this to Chase Utley or Mike Schmidt.

I've played the majority of those sports you listed for years, and I can honestly say baseball is one of the most difficult ones. Getting out of breath does not make it a sport.

McLaughlin
Dec 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
All I can say is:

I play midfield for my city's Soccer team. I have to bust my ass for an hour and a half, because I play center mid. That means I get the job of covering the entire goddamn field. Left wing is asleep? I cover. Sweeper fucked up? I make it back there before the shot. If I can run for an hour and a half in 30 degree weather and only get a 10 minute break for water at Half Time, I'm sure Baseball players can do without the steroids.

They sit on a bench for an hour, step up to the plate, wiff the ball, have their coach contest the strike out, and then sit back down for another hour. I mean, come on.

Dangerous55
Dec 13, 2007, 11:25 PM
On 2007-12-13 20:22, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

They sit on a bench for an hour, step up to the plate, wiff the ball, have their coach contest the strike out, and then sit back down for another hour. I mean, come on.

Well, your understanding of baseball is piss poor then. They don't need steroids, I agree, but that isn't what they do.

Shadowpawn
Dec 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
On 2007-12-13 14:35, DizzyDi wrote:
Sports =/= Athleticism.

Golf.

EJ
Dec 13, 2007, 11:35 PM
On 2007-12-13 20:27, Shadowpawn wrote:

On 2007-12-13 14:35, DizzyDi wrote:
Sports =/= Athleticism.

Golf andbasketball

I'm sorry but basketball is boring as hell to me seeing people run back and forth chasing a ball. Hell I even played some basketball myself and still found it boring as well.

Chess and poker are not sports even though espn try to classify it as one it just a game nothing really athletic is need for those things.

Solstis
Dec 13, 2007, 11:39 PM
I've been to a Yankees (home) game. Baseball is not boring live, though it's boring on TV. Never sit still for that stuff.

Oh, and guys, I've heard that there's this pitcher dude. He has to throw some shit really fast during the whole game (unless he gets taken out). I mean, man, how lazy.

Sinue_v2
Dec 13, 2007, 11:41 PM
I've never seen anything remotely this awesome (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1258/baseball_bird/) happen in Football of Basketball.

Blitzkommando
Dec 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
I'd get killed by my uncles for saying it, but baseball as boring as it is, isn't the most boring sport. The only 'sport' that has put me to sleep has been Nascar. That is the absolute most boring sport. Period. Watching a bunch of people race around an elliptical track for hours is so mind-numbingly boring to watch that when forced to do so, I simply fall asleep. At least with other racing sports they have more interestingly shaped tracks.

A runner up that also beats out baseball is cricket. My God that is almost as bad as Nascar. Then again, it might beat it out because at least in Nascar you get a crash every so often to liven things up. Another runner up is curling but the silliness of shuffling a brush against ice makes it somewhat entertaining for short periods. That and hearing them yell in various languages.

On the flip side, I've played baseball and it is definitely a lot more appealing to the player than to the person watching. I imagine that's the way with cricket, Nascar, and curling as well. But for watching, they are all horrendously boring.

ABDUR101
Dec 14, 2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I gotta say I don't watch any sports. I don't follow teams, I don't get hyped about players, I don't give a shit what their 'stats' are. Football is on? Well so is Family Guy, so fuck off.(And there's always something on Discovery or Animal Planet)

I really hate Nascar. That shit is just stupid. I have a hard enough time bearing watching it in the comfort of my own home with my ass in a nice chair and airconditioning, how the hell can people go there and sit in the heat for hours on end?

The last athlete I ever honestly really cared to watch play, was Michael Jordan years ago. I dunno, I was never into really playing sports, let alone watching other people play them. However, I could sit and watch other people make something all day(Hello 'How It's Made', show me something with molten metal or glass).

Weeaboolits
Dec 14, 2007, 04:38 PM
TUUUUUURRRRRNING LEFT!

Anyway, baseball is a sport, I hate it more than most of the others, the only one I don't hate is hockey, and I don't watch that either.

Kylie
Dec 14, 2007, 05:40 PM
Oh, come on. Baseball's one of my faves... though maybe because I know how to play it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Split
Dec 14, 2007, 06:32 PM
On 2007-12-13 20:14, Sgt_Shligger wrote:I don't believe I misinterpreted anything you said myself (though I may have been a tad vehement which I will admit to). You somehow conveyed (to me at least) that baseball was less of a sport

Also, I will sincerely apologize for that comment on linebackers needing no hand-eye coordination, I meant to say lineman (since they rarely, if ever, get the ball). I'm not referring to coordination in general but rather the more specific hand-eye coordination to be good with throwing/catching (something a lineman isn't required to do). Slightly big mistake on my part.

No problem man, internet arguments are no reason for people to get all pissed at eachother.

Dgo
Dec 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
I love baseball and i feel the best way for most to understand it is for you to go see a game.

Try an see a game with a great at bat, like i was at the dodger game(go blue) when bonds looked to break the record the atmosphere was amazing!,but when theirs a great at bat you see the pitcher perform. If someones on base their now worried about him trying to steal the next base,so in an attempt to throw off the batter and the guy on base they throw it in his direction which often just pisses of the crowd which helps beat the home team and can eventually tried out the runner if done continually.
But thats just one thing i find interesting,who knows what you'll like about it.
Oh about it not being a sport you go out there and play
double or triple and so on the normal amout of games that every other sport plays which as someone said "is like a game everyday" and tell me its not a sport.
No i'm not saying that the amount of games you play can decied weather or not it can be consider a sport.

baseball 162 games

football 16 games 10x season to = 1 baseball season

basketball 80 games 2x seasons to = 1 baseball season

yeah you often do alot less then most sports which could be easy right, but when you play that many games Guess what? it's still the same.

Any how i mean i would rather try and catch a ball then have to guard garnett or tim dunkcan, or better yet have to stare ray lewis in the face and wait to be killed when he hits you,oh and last but not least catch a formal head butt to the chest for all my hard work.
Although baseball players do get hit by 90 mph fast balls. Ouch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dgo on 2007-12-15 14:57 ]</font>

eXo
Dec 15, 2007, 06:35 PM
The only thing that disappoints me about baseball is the fact,that it appears that the majority of the stars are juiced,atleast to the novice viewer the Mitchell report really ruffled my feathers.

The names that where mentioned in the report are only superstars,who where subjected to documented evidence, however according to ESPN rodonmski attempted to blow the whistle on several other prominate superstars,such names as Roger clemons,manny Ramirez,Albert pujols, Barry bonds, reports currently circulate that A-Rod experimented with HGH this past season. However if so its undetectable and he is protected by the players association from having to take a blood test.

In my opinion with basically everyone considered the face of the sport being suspected, of juicing it's the equilvelant of finding out that Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Doctor J, Karl Malone where all juicing and then have speculations that Duwayne Wade & Lebron James may have been juicing also.

Also i respect your opinion on baseball, however referencing the amount of games per season is irrelevant. Atleast as far as the football comparison is concerned,the pure durability lost do to the wear and tear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_and_tear between the two sports is overwhelmingly lopsided. And honestly you will never hear world renowned doctors, compare a game of baseball to a 60 MPH car accident so that alone shows why the season is substantially shorter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eXo on 2007-12-15 16:03 ]</font>

Alisha
Dec 16, 2007, 07:26 AM
maybe im biased because i live in a baseball town(cleveland) but yes id say baseball is a sport. to me baseball is the strategy rpg of the sports world.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 16, 2007, 03:55 PM
Baseball is the only sport the U.S. government gets involved with you know. Baseball is just heavily publicized.

Tigerram
Dec 16, 2007, 07:58 PM
On 2007-12-13 15:20, eXo wrote:
some espn guys where just debating and one guy, said baseball isnt a sport anymore theirs a reason that it's called americas pastimeand thats because baseball as an sport is a thing of the past. im not on his side but i must admit i almost rofl.

To be honest, that analyst is right on ESPN. Baseball was extremely popular amoung many people until 1996, and thats when the league went on strike. Back then, I was a huge Braves fan...I knew who everyone was on the roster, and followed them religiously. I watched as many games as I could when they played on TBS. When the league went on strike, that made me so angry at baseball. The game's context was thrown out the window, because I'm a kid realizing it's not about the game, it's about making a very large amount of money. I could have cared less about baseball afterwards, and I still feel that way.

I still pull for the Braves today, but I'm not a die hard anymore. It's basically like this...read a paper, see how they are doing, look at a few scores, and say thats nice, they are doing okay. Half the time, I forget the World Series even exists anymore, lol.

I'm saying that analyst is right because when the MLB was known as America's Past Time, it meant something. Now, it's literally meaning baseball will never have the hold on America like it once did, and it will never be king again. It really is the sport of the past. The NFL is America's king now. To be honest, college football is a close second ( which is my favorite following now...pro sports in general don't do much for me anymore, except maybe watching the Super Bowl. ) Anyhow, thats' my 2 cents.

EphekZ
Dec 16, 2007, 08:32 PM
On 2007-12-16 04:26, Alisha wrote:
maybe im biased because i live in a baseball town(cleveland) but yes id say baseball is a sport. to me baseball is the strategy rpg of the sports world.

I'd say football is more of a strategy game than baseball.

KodiaX987
Dec 16, 2007, 11:59 PM
So how exactly did we go from the topic of every baseball player and their mother eating steroids for breakfast, to the athletic value of baseball as a sport?

We might as well delete this thread and start over. Better luck next time, OP!

jayster
Dec 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
Baseball is a game, not a sport. Its terribly boring and takes very little skill. I am sorry but almost anyone can play baseball, but if you put a baseball player on a soccer field, they would suck so bad. Iv never played baseball but I can go out and play with all my friends who play baseball and be just as good. Yet when they try to play soccer with me, they usually end up picking the ball up and running around because they can't dribble or shoot straight, not to mention get past a defender or trap a ball using their feet.

The difference in skill between a sport such as soccer and a game such as baseball is tremendous. Not to mention that baseball takes practically no endurance or physical shape beyond being strong.