PDA

View Full Version : @ Xbox360 & PS3 owners

eXo
Dec 14, 2007, 10:11 PM
I currently own both a Xbox360 and a PS3 however my question is with the recent release of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.Alot of companies are now promoting what they refer to as True-HD.A combination of HD television & HD- Media.Im familiar with the concepts of 720 i/p & 1080 i/p.

But the sales associate started telling me that if i own a ps3 then i want to use true HD he then went on to run SvR2008 on both systems initially they both had the small white outlining trim around the characters that im so accustomed to seeing, however he then swithed it to what he called true HDTV.

On the PS3 toons the outline disappeared and although not a superior graphical improvment it was really noticable,while the outline still remained on the 360 version.

With that being said since my 360 only utilizes a standard DVD drive while my PS3 has Blu-Ray does that mean that my 360 is not really HD? =(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eXo on 2007-12-14 19:13 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Dec 14, 2007, 10:47 PM
The 360 has a standalone HD-DVD player that you can buy seperate, but I haven't a clue if it will make use of what you referenced to for the PS3.

HD-DVD should'nt even be a concern, it's not mainstream at all yet.

eXo
Dec 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
Yea i looked up the 360 HD-DVD $150 bucks ouch >_<. well i guess that i'll just use PS3 for movies etc . I prefer my 360 for media and stuff atm because of the streaming recorded programing to my tv but.

Sekani
Dec 15, 2007, 11:01 AM
Sounds like sales-person bullshit. The only "TrueHD" I'm familiar with is actually an audio codec currently in use on all blu-ray and HD-DVD movies.

However, I think the 360 isn't able to display in 1080p, while the PS3 can. I'd have to check to make sure though.

ABDUR101
Dec 15, 2007, 11:06 AM
On 2007-12-15 08:01, Sekani wrote:
Sounds like sales-person bullshit. The only "TrueHD" I'm familiar with is actually an audio codec currently in use on all blu-ray and HD-DVD movies.

However, I think the 360 isn't able to display in 1080p, while the PS3 can. I'd have to check to make sure though.

My 360 has the option for 1080p, however my tv only allows up to 1080i. Haven't a clue though.

Also, be aware that it might have just been a setting that altered the 'white outline', of which I'm not even sure what you're referring to. But it sounds like it's merely a setting for the TV or console that made the image cover up the graphic 'issue'.

Saner
Dec 15, 2007, 12:10 PM
I use a standard 4:3 Panasonic TV and don't have to worry about the countless problems widescreen and HD ambitious users face. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

the whole push for HD is vastly overrated and not worth the extra bucks.

Sekani
Dec 15, 2007, 12:36 PM
Spoken like someone who's never seen anything in high-def before.

ABDUR101
Dec 15, 2007, 12:58 PM
On 2007-12-15 09:10, Saner wrote:
I use a standard 4:3 Panasonic TV and don't have to worry about the countless problems widescreen and HD ambitious users face. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

..you're using a 4:3 ratio, you are using a widescreen.

McLaughlin
Dec 15, 2007, 01:10 PM
I thought 16:9 was Widescreen?

ABDUR101
Dec 15, 2007, 01:30 PM
On 2007-12-15 10:10, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
I thought 16:9 was Widescreen?

Whoops, correct. My mistake. No more CoD4 post-mortem posting!

However, I have to say that after playing on an HD tv, I really don't much like seeing games played on a standard tv. I almost feel sorry for my nephews, because they lose so much awesomeness. Views that are just jaw-dropping in HD are just "oh, cool" in standard definition.

ShinMaruku
Dec 15, 2007, 05:31 PM
On 2007-12-15 08:01, Sekani wrote:

Movies in 1080p, games upscaled to 1080p.
If you want movies, both are fine with 1080p

Kent
Dec 16, 2007, 07:27 PM
On 2007-12-14 19:11, eXo wrote:
But the sales associate started telling me that if i own a ps3 then i want to use true HD he then went on to run SvR2008 on both systems initially they both had the small white outlining trim around the characters that im so accustomed to seeing, however he then swithed it to what he called true HDTV.

On the PS3 toons the outline disappeared and although not a superior graphical improvment it was really noticable,while the outline still remained on the 360 version.

With that being said since my 360 only utilizes a standard DVD drive while my PS3 has Blu-Ray does that mean that my 360 is not really HD? =(

...Toons? :/

First off, the white outline that you see on some things... Is usually an issue with the sharpness setting on the monitor. Sharpness adds white into certain parts of the picture, to make things a little more clear around the edges, but too much is basically always a bad thing.

Also, this about the 360 not being in HD because of the DVD drive, is complete and utter nonsense. "HD" refers to specific standards in resolutions - that is, 720p and up - whether or not your Xbox 360 supports HD is based solely on the fact that it can output to said resolutions - which it can, and therefore, it is. It does not refer to a disc format, and anyone who tells you otherwise, immediately loses all credibility on the subject.

Essentially... He was a sales associate. His job is you make you buy stuff that you probably don't need... Like new entertainment equipment, overstocked PS3s, etc. A douchebag that gets paid to try and make you waste your money.

For future reference, it's really not worth it to invest in HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray at the moment, simply because standard DVDs are still incredibly mainstream.

Blitzkommando
Dec 16, 2007, 08:09 PM
On 2007-12-15 09:10, Saner wrote:

Well, don't worry about it too much. Come January 2009 you won't be able to watch any television anyway. Well, unless you want to dish out $50 for a digital to analog converter box for your antiquated television(s). And yes, that's $50 PER television.

I won't even begin to touch your comment about HD being overrated. It's so inane it's not even worth trying to counter because it would be like trying to discuss algebra with a kindergartner.

SeleneD
Dec 17, 2007, 03:03 PM
I think you're fine with both.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-13817_7-6462511-2.html?tag=arw

However, you'll need to buy the HD-DVD attachment for your 360. And so, I'd stick with Blu-ray if I were you. Unless there's something on HD-DVD only that you want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeleneD on 2007-12-17 12:09 ]</font>

Kent
Dec 18, 2007, 07:19 AM
On 2007-12-16 17:09, Norvekh wrote:
I won't even begin to touch your comment about HD being overrated. It's so inane it's not even worth trying to counter because it would be like trying to discuss algebra with a kindergartner.

Well, you could just sum things up in one sentence:

High Definition is High Definawesome. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ShinMaruku
Dec 18, 2007, 12:41 PM
SDince I got 1080p only sillies say HD is overrated, now Overpriced
you got a point.

Saner
Dec 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
rawr.

don't need it.

SDTV looks fine enough. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'm the type who would still watch movies on VHS and not complain about the picture, which looks fine anyway unless its an ancient tape or recorded on SLP, but even that is still bearable for playback purposes. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

but ya stuff looks nice and clear on SDTVs and 4:3 looks fine. widescreen just brings about more problems, especially for games that are meant to be 4:3 (like Street Fighter 2).

and the HD super stuff makes things look a little better but not worth the investment unless TV is all someone does and they work at IBM.

SeleneD
Dec 18, 2007, 01:21 PM
I don't know. I wasn't a fan of dishing out all the money, but I definitely see a huge difference in the old tv and the big high def one. No one wants to play on the other one. The picture is much sharper and sometimes you can see things that the other tv couldn't pick up.

It's not whether or not if the new clear pictures are better, but more about are you willing to dish out the dollars to get one.

Saner
Dec 18, 2007, 01:39 PM
maybe but the other side about those TVs is that sometimes making things stand out is a bad thing and defines the flaws in certain games even more, especially some 2-D ones. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

ABDUR101
Dec 18, 2007, 02:37 PM
On 2007-12-18 10:39, Saner wrote:
maybe but the other side about those TVs is that sometimes making things stand out is a bad thing and defines the flaws in certain games even more, especially some 2-D ones. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

I'd rather play hi-def games on an HD tv and acknowledge that there are going to be noticable flaws; rather than gimp my entire gaming experience just to live in ignorance that not everything is pixel-by-pixel perfect.

Thats abit of a silly reason to try and comfort yourself with using SDTV over HDTV.

Use what you want, but don't try and come up with silly reasons to make it seem like a sound decision.

Blitzkommando
Dec 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
I don't quite know where this "HDTVs are still way too expensive to be practical" idea comes from. I got an HDTV not too long ago, 720P I will admit, for $99. And with all of the crazy sales that are always going on for televisions you can easily pick up a very good 32-36" HDTV for well under $1000 that does the whole gamut. Hell, there are two 42" 1080P televisions for under $1000 right now at Best Buy. If you opt for 720P and 1080i you could get one for under $500 now.

And, if you're concerned about stretching images then maybe you should read up on 1-to-1 pixel mapping or 'maintaining aspect-ratio'. Even my cheapo HDTV has those capabilities and most good widescreen monitors do as well.

The issues you complain about have been solved for a good while now. So either you've just seen some older sets or some rather poor choices in sets. The old 720P HDTV my parents got a couple years ago has both 1-to-1 pixel mapping and maintain aspect-ratio modes and it was hardly top of the line then. So, please, do research before making comments that are completely false.

Also, what does working at IBM have anything to do with it? Joe Schmoe can pick up a television every couple years at the tune of a $500 set if he can afford a $300-$600 console to go with it.