PDA

View Full Version : Through the center of the Earth

Dangerous55
Jan 9, 2003, 10:06 PM
Well lets just say I wanted to dig to China, through the center of the Earth. Now, lets just say it would be possible, well when I get to the center, I would be digging up. See what I mean? So how would this work, would you just be suspended their in the center of the Earth, as gravity pushes you in every direction? Understand? Crazy, isnt it.

Vantamiath
Jan 9, 2003, 10:18 PM
Wouldnt get that far...I hear the core is full of pot smokin leprachauns.

Raist
Jan 9, 2003, 10:24 PM
the pot smoking leprachauns can only survive in the zero gravity environment of the center of the earth you see

RavenTW
Jan 9, 2003, 10:25 PM
First of all, you would have to survive the magma and HOT tempuratures in the core, but if you were in the center of the core, there would be no gravity.

TedEdFred
Jan 9, 2003, 10:59 PM
Doesn't that just blow your mind?

Lo_Nek
Jan 9, 2003, 10:59 PM
Lol I used to ask people the same question a few years ago, everyone would say " Its not possible" or "Well when you get there youd be killed". Think about it, if your digging down, would you jsut all the sudden be going up? THE QUESTION STILL KILLS ME

DirewolfX
Jan 9, 2003, 11:33 PM
To say there would be no gravity is a bit of a misconception.

First, there would be gravitational forces from other celestial bodies (i.e. the sun, the moon, etc.). But you probably mean to ignore those, since their effects would be negligible compared to the effects of Earth's gravity (which is different from the case in which there is no gravity in the center of the Earth, which would cause you to get pulled towards them).

Second, there would be gravitational forces from the Earth pulling you in all directions at once, but ultimately cancelling out. However, if you tried to move even a tiny bit from the exact center, the gravitational forces from one side would become stronger than the others, and you would be pulled back to the middle. Climbing out would not be very fun.

Third, there would be immense pressure as a result of the gravitational forces of the earth acting on the atmosphere. You'd probably be crushed to a little itty bitty speck of dust... if you didn't first melt from the intense heat. But I assume these are the issues you meant to ignore when assuming it was possible.

Four, if you could create a vehicle that could withstand the heat and pressure of the core of the Earth and also reduce it's friction to negligible levels, then if you dropped it straight down a hole going through the core of the Earth to China, by the force of gravity and with the help of the law of conservation of energy, you could make it to China in under 40 minutes.

Dangerous55
Jan 10, 2003, 12:09 AM
Well, theoretically, so no magma or stuff. This question boggles my mind, I would say you would be crushed or just be floating there.

LostHero
Jan 10, 2003, 01:25 AM
Might help explain how so much magma could be contained so well. But then again the earth is being pulled toward you aswell... bleh if you keep thinking about it you'll go cross eyed.

DirewolfX
Jan 10, 2003, 06:39 AM
Well, in a realistic situation, if you weren't crushed, you would go flying right through the center and start coming out the other side a little before getting pulled back through the center again, until, due to air friction and the like, you get stuck in the middle. Without friction, you'd be moving 11294 meters/second as you passed through the center of the earth, enough velocity to make it back up the other side (without friction). Simple conservation of energy.

Spy
Jan 10, 2003, 06:45 AM
The molten-core theory is just that: A theory. Nobody will really know what is at the center of the Earth until we can actually travel there. The resources, the time, the lives; to find out now just isn't worth it.

Abaddon
Jan 10, 2003, 07:31 AM
We might find Neo Tokyo for all we know.

Yurika
Jan 10, 2003, 11:21 AM
I think there's a tootsie roll at the center of the earth, myself. After all, the world may never know.

LostHero
Jan 10, 2003, 04:21 PM
On 2003-01-10 04:31, Abaddon wrote:
We might find Neo Tokyo for all we know.

Crack is nobodies friend...

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Jan 10, 2003, 04:28 PM
buy a plane ticket to china.

Dangerous55
Jan 10, 2003, 06:13 PM
On 2003-01-10 13:28, LieutenantDwAnGStick wrote:
buy a plane ticket to china.

Pfft, pussy.

Ness
Jan 10, 2003, 06:57 PM
Earth's gravity pulls you to the planets core so if you are at the core then you will be suspended into the air. That is, of course if the heat doesn't kill you. If it were possible to dig to China, think of how different global travel would be.