PDA

View Full Version : Change the HIVE song!

ChaosAngel92
Dec 23, 2007, 11:28 PM
As i have read on the forums, and also various comments on PSU parties, i think pretty much of the people hates the HIVE (Motherbrain and i supouse the other Hive thing) song more than any other song on PSU.
So, i want to change it, but i need suggestions of witch song could fit with the enviroment. Any suggestion?

pikachief
Dec 23, 2007, 11:29 PM
i like the song http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Aka
Dec 23, 2007, 11:34 PM
The Ruins music from PSO.

Turambar
Dec 23, 2007, 11:38 PM
How about another original score, instead of a PSO remix?

WBMike
Dec 23, 2007, 11:40 PM
"The Last Story" From PSU Soundtrack
Hive is Painful and has been known to destroy families.

Helly
Dec 23, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think the Hive music isn't bad but it doesn't fit in well with the blue nice looking Electronic Brain mission.

ChaosAngel92
Dec 23, 2007, 11:51 PM
Aha.
Well i was thinking something more like "tremendous-epic".

DeltaJedi
Dec 24, 2007, 12:19 AM
I enjoy the Mother song, but the Hive one is indeed painful.

Para
Dec 24, 2007, 12:21 AM
On 2007-12-23 20:34, Aka wrote:

Bingo.

Seriously the HIVE music is atrocious. Thank god Ruins is coming back... I hope most of the HIVE monsters are there so if I ever needed to hunt something from HIVE monsters, I rather go to Ruins than stick around in a HIVE music map.

F-Gattaca
Dec 24, 2007, 12:23 AM
The only time the HIVE music worked in PSU was during the final mission of Episode 1, because it matched the "Oh SHIT" feeling from that point in the game.

It does not fit for routine missions in such a place. I feel similarly about Contamination (Dark), the music played in the G Colony levels.

As far as "original scores that are not PSO Remixes," I can suggest some music from other games, I guess.

HIVE: Freelancer's Nomad themes.
- For Dark Sattelite, the Nomad "danger" theme.
- For SEED Awakened, the Nomad Dyson sphere theme.
- For True Darkness, the Nomad "battle" theme, either the Lair Battle or the Allied Battle themes. I'd also use this in Dark Sattelite's 4th block.

The heartbeat inherent to the Nomad music and the discordant sounds work pretty well as songs that capture the epic mood of the original HIVE music without being annoying and over the top, in my opinion.

AMF CENTCOM: Deus Ex - Invisible War.
Mainly, I'm thinking of the "hub" music that plays in the general area of Liberty Island. (libislandhub)

If not that, then the UNATCO theme from the same game (not the original Deus Ex) and area. (libislandunatco) This one really captures the state of ruin that AMF CENTCOM is in, and the creepiness of it being overrun with SEED forms, the AMF soldiers attending the area mutated into SEED-Ardites and Orcdillians.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-12-23 21:29 ]</font>

ChaosAngel92
Dec 24, 2007, 12:35 AM
My suggestion is a song called "Disgaea". From the game "Disgaea:Afternoon of Darkness". That is the most epic thing so far it would fit with the HIVE missions. By the way, i never meant to say that the Motherbrain song, the boss song isnt good.

StanleyPain
Dec 24, 2007, 12:40 AM
You could just play your own music and turn down the soundtrack (or, if on 360, just stream or load in your own music.)

Lolitecher
Dec 24, 2007, 12:42 AM
I personally like the HIVE song, it works perfectly as an alarm clock song on Monday mornings to capture that feeling of dread and annoyance that the new work week brings http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Try it out and look forward to writhing in your bed in agony.

Hath_Wrobo
Dec 24, 2007, 12:45 AM
Better yet, why doesn't Sonic Team put any effort into adding new enemies and bosses, and music...and environments, rather than simply reskinning everything? I will laugh once Zoal Goug is reskinned, a reskin of a reskin http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Seriously though, is it really that hard to different looking levels?

Reipard
Dec 24, 2007, 02:00 AM
I have 'Cyber' from CARD Revolution playing in it. Works really well.

Rainu
Dec 24, 2007, 02:53 AM
For the latest AMF mission, I use Tricktrack from PSO's soundtrack.

CelestialBlade
Dec 24, 2007, 03:03 AM
I'm kinda doubting Sonic Team is working with a hugeass budget right now. Gettin a little tired of the complaining in that respect.

I happen to really like the HIVE music, it's the damn Linear Line music that drives me freaking insane. But just because you don't like a track doesn't mean the maker is supposed to change it. Turn off the in-game BGM and open up Winamp.

Reipard
Dec 24, 2007, 03:31 AM
I happen to really like the HIVE music, it's the damn Linear Line music that drives me freaking insane. But just because you don't like a track doesn't mean the maker is supposed to change it. Turn off the in-game BGM and open up Winamp.

Doesn't mean we can't change it ourselves on our own PSUs. Which is exactly what this topic is about.

HIVE's been playing the music I want it to play for a long time without having an MP3 player open in the background.

F-Gattaca
Dec 24, 2007, 03:31 AM
On 2007-12-24 00:03, Typheros wrote:

I think the OP was asking for songs to use as mods to the game.

It'd be nice if Sega kept music files in plain sight for this purpose (or for outside listening) as was done for PSO:BB (and other MMOs, like RO), but ...

Para
Dec 24, 2007, 03:40 AM
On 2007-12-23 23:53, Rainu wrote:
For the latest AMF mission, I use Tricktrack from PSO's soundtrack.

Not a bad choice either given the history with tricktrack and VR spaceship and other electronic themed maps tricktrack has been part of but... the map designs are so monotonous that tricktrack sorta blahs on execution.

AnamanaAU
Dec 24, 2007, 04:27 AM
"Feel the Magic". No, but seriously. They should have something brand new, a little more laid back and infiltration themed. Current hive is very over the top. PSO Ruins was horrible music.

D1ABOLIK
Dec 24, 2007, 04:35 AM
On 2007-12-23 20:34, Aka wrote:

Best level music ever. Best overall music in a game would have to be the end music after episode 1 "Can still see the light". I want that as a disc for my room in PSU. =)

________
Thc (http://twitter.com/thc)

F-Gattaca
Dec 24, 2007, 05:08 AM
I like the PSO Ruins music, but I don't think it works AT ALL for either the HIVE or AMF CENTCOM.

The music in the Ruins was perfect because it fit the mood of exploring an ancient and foreboding complex, the nature of which you discover it by bit as you face its horrors.

It might be nice to listen to in Winamp while running HIVE and AMF CENTCOM missions, but as actual BGM replacements, I don't think they fit thematically. The music I suggested feels more befitting of places in a modern society assimilated and warped by an all-consuming alien horror.

Neith
Dec 24, 2007, 07:40 AM
Ruins music (Revolution to the Origin), or something like the Ravum Aedes Sacra (Leukon Knight) music from Ep III. Although, the HIVE music is fine, it might sound strange, but it suits the area. I have it playing in my Newman's room http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

As soon as we get Ruins though...I'll be there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2007-12-24 04:43 ]</font>

Sasuke1986
Dec 24, 2007, 07:50 AM
I've always liked the HIVE theme, though I can understand how it can get agitating after a while. Themes with that sort of intensity can become too much in large doses.

Although...

On 2007-12-23 20:40, WBMike wrote:
"The Last Story" From PSU Soundtrack

.. I just listened to this and am wondering why I have yet to hear it in online mode. (I never played the story mode of the original version all the way through, and if it played during a non-FMV cutscene then I DEFINITELY didn't hear it because I mute my computer to avoid the dreadful stuttering [sp] coming from my barely-meeting-the-requirements computer) This theme is great.

F-Gattaca
Dec 24, 2007, 07:54 AM
Well, to be honest, the HIVE theme sounds like a demonic take on Ride of the Valkyries, with a lot of finality to it. They might as well call it HIVE - Fall of the SEED.

That's the part that jars me. It's a song for epic sequences leading up to the finale ... It loses its power and awesomeness by hearing it for a routine thing.

Sasuke: The Last Story plays in a non-FMV cutscene just prior to the final boss, when Ethan and Magashi have a swordfight on the bridge leading to the reactor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-12-24 04:56 ]</font>

Sasuke1986
Dec 24, 2007, 07:58 AM
On 2007-12-24 04:54, F-Gattaca wrote:Sasuke: The Last Story plays in a non-FMV cutscene just prior to the final boss, when Ethan and Magashi have a swordfight on the bridge leading to the reactor.

Ha... that's kind of funny, because I've seen a video of that but muted it to avoid the voice acting XP

Ezodagrom
Dec 24, 2007, 08:13 AM
I like the HIVE music on HIVE stages...
but on the new AMF mission, they could have done a new music <.<

Sekani
Dec 24, 2007, 08:57 AM
"Nostalgia in Solitude -PART2-" from PSO:BB

Seira7
Dec 24, 2007, 10:15 AM
Haha, I can't believe this topic came up...I hate HIVE music too and am having a hard time matching my own music in there...Basically I like techno and indie (sasha, sonic youth, etc) and nothing suits that place. Techno is too upbeat, ambient is too blah...jungle is horrible...I wish SEGA would just remix the HIVE music already.

I was running my favorite place in PSU on my alt last night, Forested Islands. Aside from the new AOI areas, that place has such a nice ambience...kind of a sci-fi feeling that PSO gave me...everythings green and eerie and the music is kind of heavenly/otherworldly. HIVE design is cool -maybe with better music it would have an ambience too, but for now its just someplace I dread going.

ChaosAngel92
Dec 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
Why almost everyone suggest music from PSO? I hated Ruins music enough on PSO BB.
By the way, LAST STORY is THE music for Hive.

ChaosAngel92
Dec 24, 2007, 04:47 PM
On 2007-12-24 07:15, Seira7 wrote:
Haha, I can't believe this topic came up...I hate HIVE music too and am having a hard time matching my own music in there...Basically I like techno and indie (sasha, sonic youth, etc) and nothing suits that place. Techno is too upbeat, ambient is too blah...jungle is horrible...I wish SEGA would just remix the HIVE music already.

I was running my favorite place in PSU on my alt last night, Forested Islands. Aside from the new AOI areas, that place has such a nice ambience...kind of a sci-fi feeling that PSO gave me...everythings green and eerie and the music is kind of heavenly/otherworldly. HIVE design is cool -maybe with better music it would have an ambience too, but for now its just someplace I dread going.

Maybe Tower of Caleum from EP III?

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
Don't forget I put out a perfectly good guide on how to swap the music out.

http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=144471&forum=22&55

HaydenX
Dec 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
How about This Song (http://www.teamartail.com/midi url)
Scroll down to Sonic CD and click on Stardust Speedway Bad Future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HaydenX on 2007-12-24 13:57 ]</font>

Seira7
Dec 24, 2007, 04:55 PM
Maybe Tower of Caleum from EP III?

Hmmmm...that actually might work really well *goes off to find a decent mp3*

Reipard
Dec 24, 2007, 05:24 PM
I find Tower of Caelum to work better for the RELICs, myself.

F-Gattaca
Dec 24, 2007, 05:40 PM
On 2007-12-24 13:54, Jonathan_F wrote:
Don't forget I put out a perfectly good guide on how to swap the music out.

http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=144471&forum=22&55

There's not a way to change the music for specific areas though, right? Like if we wanted separate music for the HIVE and AMF CENTCOM?

Reipard
Dec 24, 2007, 08:16 PM
There is no way without ASM hacking.

MetalIdol876
Dec 24, 2007, 08:18 PM
But the HIVE is the best music for the area.

A HIVE, Ant Hill, etc. Everything inside with its own purpose, doing its own little thing for the one at the highest seat in the hierarchy. It's got a nice Imperial/Royal/Drone sound to it, and I for one think it fits.

Now, whether I like it or not is irrelevant. The song works for the area.

WBMike
Dec 24, 2007, 10:53 PM
On 2007-12-24 13:43, ChaosAngel92 wrote:
Why almost everyone suggest music from PSO? I hated Ruins music enough on PSO BB.
By the way, LAST STORY is THE music for Hive.

"Last Story" is the fight with Ethan And Magashi that plays once and never ever again. :[

On 2007-12-24 04:54, F-Gattaca wrote:
That's the part that jars me. It's a song for epic sequences leading up to the finale ... It loses its power and awesomeness by hearing it for a routine thing.

Before PSU released into the U.S, I thought the "HIVE" music was the battle for Dark Fakis..skip a few months ahead, I'm all into PSU story and characters, and then we finally make it to the end and boom the atmosphere dies and this music just blasts on the speakers. It sounds like someone scratching their claws on the board over and over..

I think if this music was for Dulk Fakis I wouldn't hate it as much but man it just kills me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WBMike on 2007-12-24 20:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WBMike on 2007-12-24 20:15 ]</font>

Noblewine
Dec 25, 2007, 01:11 AM
It's not bad but it gets old as it loops repeatidly. The battle BGM for Dark Fakis is better compared to the Hive BGM.