PDA

View Full Version : Hearing high frequencies...

Sharkyland
Dec 28, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'm curious about how many of you can hear higher frequencies. I can hear my television hum, but when I ask people/friends/cousins/family members to hear it, they can't hear it.

amtalx
Dec 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have the same problem. It takes a few minutes for the tube on my TV to warm up, and there is a piercing high pitched sound until it does.

Sinue_v2
Dec 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
I thought most everyone could hear the hum of the TV/Powerlines/etc? Last hearing test I had for work fell within normal ranges.

Wyndham
Dec 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
I can hear my tv hum too. I get it from my mom.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 28, 2007, 04:04 PM
In the case of TV hum, I think it has more to do with decibel level than pitch. It may be high pitched, but it's also fairly quiet.

Interestingly enough, there is apparently a correlation between your physical size and the pitch range you pick up; I get the impression that the size of your ear drum really dictates what you can hear. The big thing that's tipped us off to this, is that someone figured out that children could hear a high-pitched ring tone that adults couldn't-- thus, they could text message eachother in class, without tipping off the teacher.

Aviva
Dec 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
i hate sitting at a restaurant with those hanging flourecent pendant lights and you bang hear the electrical humming from them! LOL

Solstis
Dec 28, 2007, 04:53 PM
My hearing's pretty sensitive, so I do pick up on these things a lot. Think it relates to the brain's ability to screen out unpleasant sounds.

Hypersensitive/sensory defensive people have problems with this (I believe, the definitions are pretty murky).

Oh, and Meira, it might have less to do with size and more to do with age and the associated hearing loss?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-12-28 13:54 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Dec 28, 2007, 05:00 PM
I can hear various high pitches. A lot of the time it is tonitis, but occasionally I hear high pitch whines from various electronics.

Sinue_v2
Dec 28, 2007, 05:20 PM
There is something to do with age as well. I recall that same high pitched ringtone the kids using in schools was modified by some London shop owners as a kid repellant. Apparently they got tired of young loiterers driving away business and decided to blast this frequency in front of their stores which only younger people could hear. Older people weren't affected. They had a sample of the tone online, and I could hear it despite being well older than a teen.

ABDUR101
Dec 28, 2007, 05:30 PM
I've always been able to hear electrical hums and so on. Was at a store not long ago and heard this really obnoxious buzzing/humming coming from one corner, as we got closer it was absurdly loud. I asked the person I was with why the electric box on the wall was making that noise and they asked "...What noise?". I was like what the hell do you mean 'what noise', it's BLARING right there.

This expecially bothers me when I try to sleep and I hear such things; the sound drills straight through anything and you can't get away from it.

astuarlen
Dec 28, 2007, 06:05 PM
I must be fairly physiologically sensitive to sound, but more than that I think I'm really psychologically sensitive. In other words, the most minute noises, which barely register for some folks (even if they hear them) drive me crazy. Not very good at "tuning things out".

Foxix
Dec 28, 2007, 06:17 PM
Actually I have a bit of an extreme case http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif, last time I went to the doctor for an ultra sound test (they were checking my kidney) I could actually hear the ultra sound and could tell when she changed settings on it because the pitch would change frequencies XD

McLaughlin
Dec 28, 2007, 07:27 PM
Your range of hearing (frequencies) deteriorates as you age, which is why younger people can hear higher/lower frequencies than older people.

I can tell if there's a TV on anywhere in the house. Usually, it's my brothers. And by on, I mean, on an input with no sound output.

Masou
Dec 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
yes, i can hear it too. Im pretty sure 85% of the population can hear it..
however didnt you know thats really the scream of ghosts that your hearing? =D
<____________________<

ShinMaruku
Dec 28, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hearing deteriorates when you are around noisy fuckers too and since most people are noisy fuckers, people in remote regions can hear a pin drop from a considerable distance.

Monochrome
Dec 28, 2007, 09:42 PM
I suppose this proves my advancing demographic, but alas I can no longer hear things like TV humming, buzzing flourescent lights, pin drops, emergency sirens, nuclear explosio...er. Possibly just the constant SUPER BASS exposure? Who knows..

amtalx
Dec 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
On 2007-12-28 15:05, astuarlen wrote:
I must be fairly physiologically sensitive to sound, but more than that I think I'm really psychologically sensitive. In other words, the most minute noises, which barely register for some folks (even if they hear them) drive me crazy. Not very good at "tuning things out".

Ever seen Pi? There's a solution for that.

Solstis
Dec 29, 2007, 12:38 AM
Never saw the movie, but you can see an Occupational Therapist for sound therapy (which is not something I have done yet). Oh well.