PDA

View Full Version : Alien vs. Predator Requiem = Movie of the Year and one of th

Saner
Dec 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
don't read this unless you have already watched it.

spoilers

This is how an AvP movie is done right (or at least for an AvP movie taking place on Earth).

I have even grown to respect the human characters. can you believe it?

Dallas freaking rocks. Kelly rocks.
The whole NETWORK of relations and connections between the different characters is intriguing. at first I was skeptical, but it really works. The brothers,
the girl and the 3 jackasses,
the righteous cop,
the hobos,
the gunshop owners,
the pizza boss,
the waitress,
the hunter and his son,
the hunter's wife,
the military mother, her husband and her daughter.
the Colonel
everyone really did a great job connecting the human atmosphere with the aliens and the predators.

At the sametime, there is so much coolness going on and building upon the events that transpire, but even when there's just humans living their usual lives, the damage being caused by the Aliens and Predator gradually sink in with the topic these people bring up.

The result is a snowball that grows into an absolute explosion of chaos.
The killcount skyrockets. The movie never holds back even with the most controversial stuff. you can say the results can be downright evil to these characters and the town's populace. (and at other times, judgement is so sweet to those that deserve it. well this is rated R and they take advantage of every opportunity.)

I'm so glad I didn't read any spoilers before watching it. It's really intense wondering who will survive. Cause I didn't know what happens, I just been introduced to these characters. Normally I prefer a story scenario that focuses on active soldiers like in Predator as well as Aliens, but these civilians get some kick ass treatment later on!

it kinda reminds me of Resident Evil 2 videogame, a little, there is some team survival horror atmosphere that's so blissfully nostalgic (like back then when I played RE Outbreak 1 and 2 online). And the switch from perspectives from character to character, reminds me a bit from Siren as well.

but aside from those related themes I picked up during the movie, this is a true Aliens and Predator movie.
I never seen this many aliens since James Cameron's Aliens
(and AvP1's pyramid flashback, but cmon, that was just a brief flashback. plus that movie was pretty average, although I give it thanks for helping make Requiem possible).

the one thing I'm kinda miffed about was how brief the National Guard's role was. yeah I'm glad that scene showed a bit more firepower being used than the entirety of AvP1, but I would figure there would be at least a couple of survivors. But that goes to hint at how many uncounted Aliens there really were.

but yeah I'm glad they made up for it with great survival action scenes from Dallas's team, as well as the whole other group waiting for pick up (although that felt more like a "meanwhile..." event. still good though).

but that's freaking badass when Dallas's group get loaded with guns and put on those vests in the tank. lol Dallas could almost pass for a Chris Redfield with that gear. XD

Kelly was awesome too. She took control of the situation and began kicking ass as well. yeaaah! fire that machine gun, babyyy!

Ricky was great, a hero who's really been through a lot. a little naive perhaps, but still helped Dallas get a good headstart.

Dale and his stupid friends could burn for all I care. Jesse was pretty useless, except that nice twist.

I would say Molly would tie Newt for the title of cuteness. But surprisingly, she wasn't annoying at all. She seemed cold at first but she just seemed to have a hard time expressing herself to her mother. but thankfully she grows out of that pretty quick. That's a good little trooper.

well there are other interesting characters too. but overall the links between the main ones, their hardships, and their outcomes, are extremely well done. seriously. These people are not like those pointless humans in Godzilla.

back to the Predator and the Aliens, the Predator is a true masterpiece. Combining the formula of old and refinement of the new, this "Wolf" Predator really knew his stuff. He pulled everything out of the hat. and pays nostalgic respect to the ones that came before him as well, as well as some new tricks up his sleeve.

Heck there is even a special vision mode feature I didn't even know Predators had until now. He kicked more ass than ANY Predator in the past movies, killing humans and aliens left and right.

and Aliens fans need not worry, they have proven their survival and scored in many parts. the PredAlien is something I would like to see in a AvP3 FPS videogame, alongside the classic Aliens, Predators and C.Marines.
A very disturbing way to reproduce, the downside is that the PredAlien has to actively impregnate these hosts 'herself' instead of leaving it to some minions to do the job.

so the PredAlien technically is endangering herself by traveling around various enviornments instead of camping in a nest. but the outcome from each host, results in more benefits.

yeah there's blood, there's gore, there's machine guns, there's Humans, Aliens and a Predator battling all over town.

And the finale is truly one for the golden history books, and also leads to perfectly explaining why the next movie should take place back in space, back into the future.

With the many trashy and bland movies pouring out,
Alien vs. Predator Requiem saves the day, bringing back the science fiction flavor of survival horror between the finest species in the universe, and shining a light of hope for a sequel that may be even better or at least just as good in heart, hardcore action, and overall a great ride!

I was completely shocked at how much better it turned out to be. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Monochrome
Dec 28, 2007, 11:51 PM
That review was awesome. You obviously enjoyed this movie alot. I will thus carefully word my counter-review.

For starters, I liked the original AVP. Yes, the plot was contrived as all hell, but it got the job done. Yes, the WWE wrestling match of A vs P toward the middle of the movie was .....well silly. Still, I was thoroughly entertained.

AVPR. I really really wanted to like this movie. There are many things about the movie I DID like. I like that in a year full of movies that show horrific stuff happening to people (such as 30 days of Night), this one outdid them all with style. Such as what the aliens jump out of early in the movie. And the perverse way the predalien reproduces. I was actually shocked! Good stuff. I like that certain people you think are 'safe' are not [spoiler-box]This ain't Transformers, so pretty girl better watch out[/spoiler-box]. Predator was cool as hell. Scene after scene, predator was so damn cool.

However.. The slick special effects that start off the film quickly devolve into the usual 'guy in a rubber suit' effects for most of the rest of the film. I don't know, maybe it's me. Maybe I am becoming jaded as hell. I am just so.. AWARE that I am watching either a.) a guy in a suit b.) someone manipulating a simple robot c.) oh that's not even a full suit, it's a closeup so its just a head dripping slime. Seriously, everyone would be safe if they moved to the desert, since the aliens lose so much liquid they would dry out in an hour or so.

It's also predictable. I consider myself pretty horrible at predicting the outcome of movies. But I could pretty much tell at the beginning of the movie where this would end (though, I'm sure that is almost a selling point in a 'VS' type movie). Also the cast was almost all too good looking. Thought I was watching the OC.

I was also aware that the director(s) was intentionally planting scenes to remind us we are watching a movie that has aliens and predators in it. Examples:[spoiler-box] Predator skinning someone. Predator injured, heals self with medikit and howls in pain (predator). Radio chatter of people shooting aliens and aliens screaming as they explode (Aliens). Underwater alien scene (Alien Resurrection). [/spoiler-box] I suppose I wanted to see aliens and predators do something new. Most of the drama seems a throwaway setup when it's all a feast to be slaughtered.

I will, however, agree that the female soldier character was well represented, and the actress portrayed her without overacting her as a G.I. Jane.

I guess they really didn't have any option other than to end the movie the way they did, perhaps its for that reason that it was so predictable. I too look forward to Alien Vs Predator Future..

6/10

Rent it

TheyCallMeJoe
Dec 29, 2007, 12:30 AM
I thought it was pretty entertaining. There was a lot of face-impaling and whatnot going around, but it was about time AVP got an R-rating. There wasn't too much unecessary gore either, though it's hard to determine what's really "necessary" in a movie with Aliens.

I thought the fight scenes were a little bit hard to follow, just because the predators are all black and in the bad lighting it was hard to distinguish them. Sometimes I couldn't tell who was getting stabbed and then I'd get afraid it was our predator, but of course it never was.
Until the very end

On a side note....
The way Jesse got pwnt was ridiculously awesome. BAM. On the wall. I'm glad that this movie didn't spare anyone.

Oh, and one more question...
At the end of the movie, when those two men are showing the woman the predator gun, what the heck was the "it's not for our world" thing all about? I was confused. It sounds like a setup for a third AVP but I have to cross my fingers that the next one doesn't turn into a pointless cash cow as other 3-part movie trilogies seem to have done lately (shrek).

NPCMook
Dec 29, 2007, 01:33 PM
No offence Saner, but any movie you watch and enjoy you seem to scream that its a movie of the year >.>

Omega_Weltall
Dec 29, 2007, 03:39 PM
... no queen, yet hordes of aliens, ( ya i know the "preditor alien" somehow turned all those pregnant women's babies into chest busters so i'll let that go)
... after that guy and his kid wakes up, BOOM chest busters, supposed to be a day or 2, not over night
... after said chest busters, mature to full aliens in a matter of scenes,
... the Army chick = Ripley, her daughter = Newt, that ExCon guy = Ahnald "get to the chopper" lol
Sorry, I did NOT like the humans at ALL they could have left most of their back stories out.
WHY OH WHY MUST THE BLACKEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE MOVIE BE THE 1ST TO DIE IN A GROUP! you know, the damn pool... ugh... EFF YOU HOLLYWOOD!!!
what i did like:
the action was cool yet the Batman Begins-esque "ZOMG action too fast we cant show you and we'll just shake the camera" thing.. please stop it Hollywood, I BEG YOU
the Clean Up preditor was bad ass but... after a while dont the Preditors know that water messes with their cloaking device so... why land in water?
The Preditor Alien was awesome too
The slut getting pwned up by the "Cheep Disc" (play AVP1 and 2 on the PC and you;ll know what i mean) was the best part for me

Saner
Dec 29, 2007, 05:19 PM
heehee http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

oh ya as for the ending explanation, here it is why it's not for this world

the guy meant that the Predator technology they have is meant for the other worlds humans will expand to. that plasma caster is the key reason to how Humanity ends up jumping their technology into far more advanced levels in a shorter period of time.

And this is also why Weyland-Yutani is such a huge corporation in the future and we see all of these ships and spacetravel and planet colonization going on.

this is why Predators always want to clean up any technology they leave behind.

and ya you guessed it the woman at the end is Yutani. I'm sure she worked with Weyland in the past or they were competing but either way, both companies end up merging.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

and Dallas using the Predator Plasmacaster as a gun at the end was soooo cool! (even better than the Alien head shield and Alien tail spear from AvP1, which looked silly) and what make it 10x cooler is that he uses it multiple times!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
the last blast looked like someone Hadokened the Alien XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2007-12-29 14:23 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Dec 29, 2007, 06:25 PM
Watch I am legend.

NPCMook
Dec 29, 2007, 09:16 PM
On 2007-12-29 15:25, UnderscoreX wrote:
Watch I am legend.

But I Am Will Smith's Dying Career is a lot worse than AVP2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Allos
Dec 31, 2007, 11:29 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL AT THE SUBJECT TITLE

Go watch "No Country for Old Men" for this year. And as for "one of the greatest", LOLOLOLOLOL

Eihwaz
Dec 31, 2007, 06:56 PM
On 2007-12-31 08:29, Allos wrote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL AT THE SUBJECT TITLE

Go watch "No Country for Old Men" for this year. And as for "one of the greatest", LOLOLOLOLOL

This post sums up my feelings exactly.

omegapirate2k
Dec 31, 2007, 11:35 PM
It was an entertaining, but not particularly deep experience, I wasn't really thinking much about it in the end, and it won't be something I refer to in the future as a great movie.

But sometimes, you just want to see some human/alien/predator/whatever guts get splattered across the room, and AVPR does a good job with it.

It was exactly what I thought it would be, nothing more, nothing less.

eXo
Jan 1, 2008, 03:38 PM
Without reading anything because i plan on seeing this movie im going to reply by saying, i bet that this is awesome but im still pushing for transformers as movie of the YEAR !!!!

Saner
Jan 2, 2008, 04:50 PM
well it depends on what peopel are lookign for.

some people prefer stories that play with their minds or their fears or some peaceful movie about friendship with a cow. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but ya of course if this flavor is not their cup of tea, there's no way they can understand how this can be movie of the year to others. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Shadow_Wing
Jan 2, 2008, 07:41 PM
On 2007-12-31 20:35, omegapirate2k wrote:
It was an entertaining, but not particularly deep experience, I wasn't really thinking much about it in the end, and it won't be something I refer to in the future as a great movie.

But sometimes, you just want to see some human/alien/predator/whatever guts get splattered across the room, and AVPR does a good job with it.

It was exactly what I thought it would be, nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty much what I expected it was going to be for me (and thus I never bothered to watch it), as much as gut splattering is great and all though, I rather watch movies with more worth than mindless violence.

There's only so much you can do with just the "cool factor" and imo to say something with just "cool factor" and nothing more as great just really doesn't cut it imo.

Fure_Rakune
Jan 2, 2008, 08:36 PM
Fun fact:
I just so happen to be best friends with the son of the main camera man for AvP2, Don Reddy.

Saner
Jan 3, 2008, 12:46 AM
hey that's neat! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif they sure done a great job. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

Dangerous55
Jan 4, 2008, 03:35 AM
It was decent. The characters weren't very believable. That guy was NOT an ex-con. Those high school kids were pretty outrageous too. I could nitpick it all night long, but it's just a movie. I do like when townspeople fight back against things, that is kind of cool. It was better than the last one, I'll give it that.

Saner
Jan 4, 2008, 12:18 PM
ya when the civilians fight back, that's really awesome. I didn't want them to just flee and be always chickens and cannon fodder like in Ridley Scott's Alien and especially Alien 3 (one of the worst movies ever. even Resurrection was better). that woulda been boring. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif good thing they score a few in this one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2008-01-04 09:19 ]</font>

Allos
Jan 4, 2008, 06:16 PM
On 2008-01-04 09:18, Saner wrote:
ya when the civilians fight back, that's really awesome. I didn't want them to just flee and be always chickens and cannon fodder like in Ridley Scott's Alien and especially Alien 3 (one of the worst movies ever. even Resurrection was better). that woulda been boring. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif good thing they score a few in this one.

I wouldn't necessarily call the characters in the original Alien "cannon fodder". Unlike the craptacular yet entertaining AVPR, Scott's character's at least had depth, believability, and decent acting skills enough on their side to make the viewer care about their fates and genuinely be interested in the plot.

And I wouldn't be so harsh on Alien 3. It's not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, especially considering that David Fincher fought with Fox on a daily basis to get what he wanted from the movie and was shut down on every attempt. Everyone hates it on first viewing, but subsequent viewings have shown me and everyone else I know that it may not be best in series but there definitely are worse films out there.

Saner
Jan 4, 2008, 08:36 PM
gee, those Fox bigwigs sure act like royal pigs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but ya the first Alien was great as it is. it did all feel very believable. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif